Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Twtd drivers,time to own up....... 07:47 - Sep 22 with 21246 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

.....done a lot of motorway driving recently and the number of people, particularly at night, that cruise along with one, two or three empty lanes on their inside is unbelievable. There must be some of you out there........one question......Why?

Edit......just look on it as the inside lane not the 'slow' lane.........there is no shame in using it !
[Post edited 22 Sep 2017 7:54]

"They break our legs and tell us to be grateful when they offer us crutches."
Poll: If the choice is Moore or no more.

Twtd drivers,time to own up....... on 07:51 - Sep 22 with 8885 viewschiddley

This winds me up. Along with the idiots who indicate and expect everyone to move or slow for them to move lanes.
It's

MIRROR SIGNAL MANOEUVRE

not

SIGNAL EXPECT ALL TO MOVE AND MANOEUVRE
[Post edited 22 Sep 2017 7:53]

Poll: The best joke petition of the last few days

Twtd drivers,time to own up....... on 07:56 - Sep 22 with 8873 viewsPendejo

I'm on the M4 from London to Heathrow on my working week and with an otherwise empty motorway there will be a string of hybrid Toyotas doing 65mph in the outside... HOWEVER, I would assert most of those in these vehicles have NOT passed a UK driving test AND the right hand lane is their normal driving lane.

Then some fill up the middle lane and the "quickest" lane can be the inside lane... but of course one must not undertake.

This morning included the joy of an individual in a dark coloured car with no lights on doing 80 in o/s lane [approx. 05:15] pulling up behind said Toyotas then flashing them - almost like a scene out of Close Encounters

uberima fides
Poll: Start a new job tomorrow - which suit?

Twtd drivers,time to own up....... on 08:00 - Sep 22 with 8850 viewsPendejo

Twtd drivers,time to own up....... on 07:51 - Sep 22 by chiddley

This winds me up. Along with the idiots who indicate and expect everyone to move or slow for them to move lanes.
It's

MIRROR SIGNAL MANOEUVRE

not

Then there's Manoeuvre, Signal and I'm sure Mirror comes after vehicle behind has let them know they are there by using the horn, in accordance with Highway Code.

uberima fides

Twtd drivers,time to own up....... on 08:25 - Sep 22 with 8810 viewsSaleAway

So, the challenge for the middle lane cruisers, is how many times you can orbit them before they realise. Overtake legally. Cross to inside lane - slow to let them past, pull out, repeat. The most I got to on one woman was 6, and she still hadn't cottoned on.

Poll: Which is less impressive?
Blog: Phoenix From the Flames

Twtd drivers,time to own up....... on 08:39 - Sep 22 with 8768 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

Twtd drivers,time to own up....... on 07:56 - Sep 22 by Pendejo

I'm on the M4 from London to Heathrow on my working week and with an otherwise empty motorway there will be a string of hybrid Toyotas doing 65mph in the outside... HOWEVER, I would assert most of those in these vehicles have NOT passed a UK driving test AND the right hand lane is their normal driving lane.

Then some fill up the middle lane and the "quickest" lane can be the inside lane... but of course one must not undertake.

This morning included the joy of an individual in a dark coloured car with no lights on doing 80 in o/s lane [approx. 05:15] pulling up behind said Toyotas then flashing them - almost like a scene out of Close Encounters

That's an unexpected turn for the thread, I'm not sure "most" is accurate.........there must be some offenders on here. Come on.....fess-up!

Twtd drivers,time to own up....... on 08:40 - Sep 22 with 8758 viewsartsbossbeard

Twtd drivers,time to own up....... on 07:51 - Sep 22 by chiddley

It's

MIRROR SIGNAL MANOEUVRE

not

This appears to have become some sort of stupid norm now.

I was taught to look in the MIRROR, check to see if my move to the outside lane would impede the speed of vehicles in the outside lane, SIGNAL when safe to pull out and then MANOEUVRE.

Also, there seems to be a "sweet spot" of middle lane drivers from my experience.

Young, glasses wearing and, dare I say it, but female drivers, who sit bolt upright, hands at 10 to 2 with the seat positioned so that they are an inch away from the steering wheel with a look of extreme concentration on their faces.

Please note: prior to hitting the post button, I've double checked for anything that could be construed as "Anti Semitic" and to the best of my knowledge it isn't. Anything deemed to be of a Xenophobic nature is therefore purely accidental or down to your own misconstruing.
Poll: Raining in IP8 - shall I get the washing in?

Twtd drivers,time to own up....... on 08:41 - Sep 22 with 8759 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

Twtd drivers,time to own up....... on 08:25 - Sep 22 by SaleAway

So, the challenge for the middle lane cruisers, is how many times you can orbit them before they realise. Overtake legally. Cross to inside lane - slow to let them past, pull out, repeat. The most I got to on one woman was 6, and she still hadn't cottoned on.

It's the ones you do this to and they then speed up as you overtake them that really get my goat.

Twtd drivers,time to own up....... on 08:43 - Sep 22 with 8747 viewsStokieBlue

Speak to callis about undertaking.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

Login to get fewer ads

Twtd drivers,time to own up....... on 08:53 - Sep 22 with 8713 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

Twtd drivers,time to own up....... on 08:43 - Sep 22 by StokieBlue

Speak to callis about undertaking.

SB

?...... My breath is bated!

Twtd drivers,time to own up....... on 08:57 - Sep 22 with 8711 viewshomer_123

Still not as annoying as:

1. People who drive cars at 50mph on motorways
2. Lorries (and I appreciate it's difficult to drive these) who take about 7 miles to overtake another lorry

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

Twtd drivers,time to own up....... on 09:11 - Sep 22 with 8679 viewsfactual_blue

Twtd drivers,time to own up....... on 08:57 - Sep 22 by homer_123

2. Lorries (and I appreciate it's difficult to drive these) who take about 7 miles to overtake another lorry

3.Cyclists who refuse to use specially provided cycle paths.

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

Twtd drivers,time to own up....... on 09:14 - Sep 22 with 8666 viewsfactual_blue

Twtd drivers,time to own up....... on 07:56 - Sep 22 by Pendejo

I'm in France at the moment, and everybody else is driving on the wrong side of the road.

RULE BRITANNIA

Twtd drivers,time to own up....... on 09:15 - Sep 22 with 8661 viewsKitman

completely infuriating I agree. The hardshoulder was free to use (signs saying so every half mile) on the M1 last Sunday and hardly any bugg3r twigged it so I cruised merrily past everyone diligently crawling very slowly to my right in all 3 regular lanes..!

Add to stupid driving on motorways, if you have the dubious pleasure (not) of regularly being on the M25 I'm surprised there are not a lot more accidents caused by complete idiotic morons- in a jam or very slow moving traffic that suddenly (without a signal) change lanes.

Blog: [Blog] Interesting Start to the New Season

Twtd drivers,time to own up....... on 09:20 - Sep 22 with 8646 viewsSWGF

Drove down through France in August and it was noticeable that everyone drives on the inside lane unless they have to overtake. As soon as they've passed someone, they're back in the inside lane. Driving back, once we got to Dover it was nose to tail in the middle and outside lanes, and the inside lane was free. We actually saw a driver (of a certain age) who indicated to pull into the middle lane even though there was NOTHING in front of him.

Was speaking to an Aussie mate about it the other day. He said that they had a campaign in Australia to persuade people to use the inside lane and had a period of fining people for hogging the middle lane if there was nobody inside them.

Poll: What constitutes "too many" when it comes to a daily intake of custard creams?
Blog: Mirroring the Last Rites of Keane's Reign

Twtd drivers,time to own up....... on 09:26 - Sep 22 with 8613 viewsartsbossbeard

Twtd drivers,time to own up....... on 09:20 - Sep 22 by SWGF

Drove down through France in August and it was noticeable that everyone drives on the inside lane unless they have to overtake. As soon as they've passed someone, they're back in the inside lane. Driving back, once we got to Dover it was nose to tail in the middle and outside lanes, and the inside lane was free. We actually saw a driver (of a certain age) who indicated to pull into the middle lane even though there was NOTHING in front of him.

Was speaking to an Aussie mate about it the other day. He said that they had a campaign in Australia to persuade people to use the inside lane and had a period of fining people for hogging the middle lane if there was nobody inside them.

Spanish chap I used to work with told me that the whole overtaking and moving back to the inside lane straight after is integral to passing the Spanish driving test and simply gets adhered to. By everyone.

He couldn't believe his first experience on a UK Motorway.

Please note: prior to hitting the post button, I've double checked for anything that could be construed as "Anti Semitic" and to the best of my knowledge it isn't. Anything deemed to be of a Xenophobic nature is therefore purely accidental or down to your own misconstruing.

Twtd drivers,time to own up....... on 09:28 - Sep 22 with 8608 viewstcblue

I had a hire car which had got one of those radar cruise control dealios, it also steers a bit for you to stay in your lane.

The future is clearly upon us that most cars will have it, and will become fully autonomous in the relatively near term, but the reason I mention it is that it made me a better driver due to my inherent laziness. Hook on a car in front, and follow at a respectable distance.
Twtd drivers,time to own up....... on 09:31 - Sep 22 with 8591 viewsPendejo

Twtd drivers,time to own up....... on 09:20 - Sep 22 by SWGF

Doesn't France's road laws include the REQUIREMENT to return to the inside lane when manoeuvre complete?

I regularly see drivers move from left hand lane of the 2 lane M4 [elevated section through Brentford] to the middle lane when it stretches out to 3 lanes even though the n/s lane is empty... I just don't get it.

uberima fides

Twtd drivers,time to own up....... on 09:33 - Sep 22 with 8579 viewsfactual_blue

Twtd drivers,time to own up....... on 09:26 - Sep 22 by artsbossbeard

Spanish chap I used to work with told me that the whole overtaking and moving back to the inside lane straight after is integral to passing the Spanish driving test and simply gets adhered to. By everyone.

He couldn't believe his first experience on a UK Motorway.

There seem to be people who believe the middle lane is the safest. As a motorway cop will them you, the lane next to hard shoulder is the safest.

Twtd drivers,time to own up....... on 09:37 - Sep 22 with 8562 viewssoupytwist

Twtd drivers,time to own up....... on 09:28 - Sep 22 by tcblue

I had a hire car which had got one of those radar cruise control dealios, it also steers a bit for you to stay in your lane.

The future is clearly upon us that most cars will have it, and will become fully autonomous in the relatively near term, but the reason I mention it is that it made me a better driver due to my inherent laziness. Hook on a car in front, and follow at a respectable distance.

I'd argue that adaptive cruise control just makes the situation of lane discipline worse. As you say, you just hook onto a car in front and stay a set distance behind. What if you're in the middle or outside lane doing that and there's nothing in the inside lane? You're wasting a third of the available space on the road and making it more difficult for someone to overtake you.

And don't get me started on four lane motorways which essential descend into two distinct sets of two lanes. Slow moving vehicles in the inside lane, very few in lane two, loads in lane three and a load in lane four.

Highways Agency people should be given the power to stop people and give them a talking to about it.
Twtd drivers,time to own up....... on 09:40 - Sep 22 with 8551 viewsartsbossbeard

Twtd drivers,time to own up....... on 09:31 - Sep 22 by Pendejo

Doesn't France's road laws include the REQUIREMENT to return to the inside lane when manoeuvre complete?

I regularly see drivers move from left hand lane of the 2 lane M4 [elevated section through Brentford] to the middle lane when it stretches out to 3 lanes even though the n/s lane is empty... I just don't get it.

Yep, and as above, same applies in Spain.

Twtd drivers,time to own up....... on 09:43 - Sep 22 with 8550 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

Twtd drivers,time to own up....... on 08:57 - Sep 22 by homer_123

If 1 happens on the inside lane and 2 on the inside two then I don't have a problem with this. 50 mph on an emptyish motorway in the outside two though......

Twtd drivers,time to own up....... on 09:45 - Sep 22 with 8534 viewsPendejo

Twtd drivers,time to own up....... on 08:39 - Sep 22 by BanksterDebtSlave

That's an unexpected turn for the thread, I'm not sure "most" is accurate.........there must be some offenders on here. Come on.....fess-up!

The Toyota referred to is the Prius, which at that time of day in that place is almost exclusively a Licensed Private Hire vehicle and I would assert a high ratio of non-UK born folks who have not passed a UK driving test and have never read Highway Code, for whom the outside lane is their inside lane.

The offenders are not going to fess up, but I will give an instance of where I was in middle lane undertaken by a car;
Travelling north on M40 between the 2 exits for Oxford / Thame, virtually empty motorway @ 07:00 on a Saturday, moved to middle lane as was approaching the second slip road [used by northbound vehicles coming from Oxford Services].
A Mini undertook me shaking his head... when he looked forward again he had a 52 seater coach coming out of the slip road into his lane, I had to move to outside lane to allow him to move to middle lane to avoid collision.

On the return a vehicle passed me so quickly it violently shook car... and even as a bit of a car nut, I could not tell you what type of car it was. Given location and rarity of the vehicle maybe it was an Ascari.

uberima fides

Twtd drivers,time to own up....... on 09:45 - Sep 22 with 8533 viewsWestSussexBlue

Twtd drivers,time to own up....... on 08:25 - Sep 22 by SaleAway

She was probably busy on Facebook
One of my many, many, many bugbears on 09:46 - Sep 22 with 8520 viewsDyland

nft

Poll: Does a Season Ticket include away matches?

Twtd drivers,time to own up....... on 09:50 - Sep 22 with 8508 viewstcblue

Twtd drivers,time to own up....... on 09:37 - Sep 22 by soupytwist

I'd argue that adaptive cruise control just makes the situation of lane discipline worse. As you say, you just hook onto a car in front and stay a set distance behind. What if you're in the middle or outside lane doing that and there's nothing in the inside lane? You're wasting a third of the available space on the road and making it more difficult for someone to overtake you.

And don't get me started on four lane motorways which essential descend into two distinct sets of two lanes. Slow moving vehicles in the inside lane, very few in lane two, loads in lane three and a load in lane four.

Highways Agency people should be given the power to stop people and give them a talking to about it.

This may be true now, but when every car on the road is doing it, it makes the point moot?

A further aside, I didn't lose any tangible time travelling with this method, on or below the speed limit, than I did when travelling in a regular car and doing sometimes dickish speeds.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024