Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
The Poppie ban on footie shirts is lifted. 06:06 - Sep 25 with 9981 viewsBenters

As it should be.

I said it was a shocking thing to do last year.

End of.

Gentlybentley
Poll: Simple poll plane banner over Norwich

The Poppie ban on footie shirts is lifted. on 06:55 - Sep 25 with 7512 viewsTLA

FIFA had no right at all to impose that ban so it's good news that they've changed their stance.

The German FA have said they have no problem with it being displayed for the friendly with them in November. It's about remembering, not glorifying, the people who lost their lives in war.
The Poppie ban on footie shirts is lifted. on 07:11 - Sep 25 with 7495 viewsBenters

The Poppie ban on footie shirts is lifted. on 06:55 - Sep 25 by TLA

FIFA had no right at all to impose that ban so it's good news that they've changed their stance.

The German FA have said they have no problem with it being displayed for the friendly with them in November. It's about remembering, not glorifying, the people who lost their lives in war.

Amen to that Brother.

Gentlybentley
Poll: Simple poll plane banner over Norwich

The Poppie ban on footie shirts is lifted. on 08:12 - Sep 25 with 7448 viewsFreddy

At last common sense prevails
The Poppie ban on footie shirts is lifted. on 08:24 - Sep 25 with 7441 viewstcblue

I can see why the poppies are divisive, as the context of them has changed from their original significance, which was to serve as a reminder of the past and as a warning to the future.

Since then it has been coopted to serve as a way to display some sort of national mourning for the fallen soldiers of ALL wars (I can see why large parts of our community would have problems with this), and a way to castigate people not wearing one for not taking part in some sort of national grief contest. Which I rather think is normally up your street to shout 'balls' to, Benters old chap
The Poppie ban on footie shirts is lifted. on 09:16 - Sep 25 with 7394 viewsBlueBadger

The Poppie ban on footie shirts is lifted. on 06:55 - Sep 25 by TLA

In all fairness, they're the world governing body, so they do have EVERY right. It doesn't mean that they should...

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

The Poppie ban on footie shirts is lifted. on 09:26 - Sep 25 with 7374 viewsFrowsyArmLarry

The Poppie ban on footie shirts is lifted. on 08:24 - Sep 25 by tcblue

I can see why the poppies are divisive, as the context of them has changed from their original significance, which was to serve as a reminder of the past and as a warning to the future.

Since then it has been coopted to serve as a way to display some sort of national mourning for the fallen soldiers of ALL wars (I can see why large parts of our community would have problems with this), and a way to castigate people not wearing one for not taking part in some sort of national grief contest. Which I rather think is normally up your street to shout 'balls' to, Benters old chap

Why would anyone have a problem with it? I really don't get that
The Poppie ban on footie shirts is lifted. on 09:28 - Sep 25 with 7369 viewsTLA

The Poppie ban on footie shirts is lifted. on 09:16 - Sep 25 by BlueBadger

In all fairness, they're the world governing body, so they do have EVERY right. It doesn't mean that they should...

I guess that means they would also have the right to ban countries wearing their national badges or ban national flags from stadiums.

In my opinion, they had no reason or right to ban the wearing of poppies.
The Poppie ban on footie shirts is lifted. on 09:38 - Sep 25 with 7347 viewstcblue

The Poppie ban on footie shirts is lifted. on 09:26 - Sep 25 by FrowsyArmLarry

Why would anyone have a problem with it? I really don't get that

Because of the context removal of it being specific (WWI) to commemorate *all* of the fallen soldiers and some sort of complicit justification of armed forces actions.

For instance, I understand why Derry born James McClean would rather not wear one.
Login to get fewer ads

The Poppie ban on footie shirts is lifted. on 09:42 - Sep 25 with 7337 viewsfactual_blue

The Poppie ban on footie shirts is lifted. on 08:24 - Sep 25 by tcblue

I bet Benters has a huge plastic poppy on the front of his bike all the time.

And in respect of modern wars, the key point is that the two world wars were fought by predominantly mass armies of more or less willing volunteers or conscripts.

As those to wars pass from living memory (the First WW has, the Second WW will soon be), so the realities of what it was like fades, becomes legend and myth rather than reality.

We should be humbled by what those terrified men had to do, not filled with false pride.

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

The Poppie ban on footie shirts is lifted. on 09:49 - Sep 25 with 7308 viewsGlasgowBlue

The Poppie ban on footie shirts is lifted. on 09:42 - Sep 25 by factual_blue

And in respect of modern wars, the key point is that the two world wars were fought by predominantly mass armies of more or less willing volunteers or conscripts.

As those to wars pass from living memory (the First WW has, the Second WW will soon be), so the realities of what it was like fades, becomes legend and myth rather than reality.

We should be humbled by what those terrified men had to do, not filled with false pride.

I’m proud that’s my grandfather risked his life fighting Nazis and fascists.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

The Poppie ban on footie shirts is lifted. on 09:49 - Sep 25 with 7319 viewsSomethingBlue

Happy either way, as long as England games at Wembley stop becoming akin to military rallies in future — never used to be that way and it's started to verge on the sinister.

Blog: The Way Back From Here Will Be Long, But There is a Way

The Poppie ban on footie shirts is lifted. on 09:57 - Sep 25 with 7296 viewsblue_oyster

A ban is surely ridiculous, but I wish people could show restraint and not automatically expect people to display them. If not worn voluntarily, it's meaningless.

Conventional wisdom is the enemy of thought.
Poll: Who is the most hated contributor to this site?

The Poppie ban on footie shirts is lifted. on 10:00 - Sep 25 with 7293 viewsm14_blue

The Poppie ban on footie shirts is lifted. on 09:57 - Sep 25 by blue_oyster

A ban is surely ridiculous, but I wish people could show restraint and not automatically expect people to display them. If not worn voluntarily, it's meaningless.

Exactly.

People should have the right to wear them but if they're forced to it becomes completely meaningless as a personal act of remembrance.
The Poppie ban on footie shirts is lifted. on 10:05 - Sep 25 with 7269 viewsGlasgowBlue

The Poppie ban on footie shirts is lifted. on 10:00 - Sep 25 by m14_blue

Exactly.

People should have the right to wear them but if they're forced to it becomes completely meaningless as a personal act of remembrance.

Who is being forced to wear one?

Iron Lion Zion

The Poppie ban on footie shirts is lifted. on 10:08 - Sep 25 with 7270 viewsdryas

From the school of thinking that brought you Brexit ......................
The Poppie ban on footie shirts is lifted. on 10:12 - Sep 25 with 7255 viewsm14_blue

The Poppie ban on footie shirts is lifted. on 10:05 - Sep 25 by GlasgowBlue

No one currently.

There is increasing pressure on people in the public eye to wear them though, and criticism of those who don't. This makes me very uncomfortable.

I speak as someone who always wears a poppy and has personally visited nearly all of the European battlefields of both wars. It's very important for me to remember the sacrifices made by previous generations but the cult of the poppy irks me somewhat.
The Poppie ban on footie shirts is lifted. on 10:15 - Sep 25 with 7242 viewsBlueLikeJazz

The Poppie ban on footie shirts is lifted. on 10:12 - Sep 25 by m14_blue

No one currently.

There is increasing pressure on people in the public eye to wear them though, and criticism of those who don't. This makes me very uncomfortable.

I speak as someone who always wears a poppy and has personally visited nearly all of the European battlefields of both wars. It's very important for me to remember the sacrifices made by previous generations but the cult of the poppy irks me somewhat.

Me too, especially when such epic displays of point-missing as this happen:

http://metro.co.uk/2013/11/13/itv-newsreader-charlene-white-receives-racist-and-
The Poppie ban on footie shirts is lifted. on 10:17 - Sep 25 with 7233 viewsArcher4721

The Poppie ban on footie shirts is lifted. on 10:05 - Sep 25 by GlasgowBlue

Presenters on TV are forced to wear them each year.
The Poppie ban on footie shirts is lifted. on 10:37 - Sep 25 with 7180 viewsGlasgowBlue

The Poppie ban on footie shirts is lifted. on 10:08 - Sep 25 by dryas

From the school of thinking that brought you Brexit ......................

Of course, as a Euroloon who supported the Frankfurt Group replacing the elected head of state in both Greece and Italy, you’d be against any sign or rememberence for people who fought in Europe against fascism
[Post edited 25 Sep 2017 10:38]

Iron Lion Zion

The Poppie ban on footie shirts is lifted. on 10:54 - Sep 25 with 7147 viewsDarth_Koont

The Poppie ban on footie shirts is lifted. on 09:42 - Sep 25 by factual_blue

"Humble" is a good word for it. It used to be a fine and sombre act of remembrance.

Now it's still a fine and sombre act of remembrance for many but getting louder with a chest-beating, "support our boys" element tacked on far too often.

Pronouns: He/Him

The Poppie ban on footie shirts is lifted. on 11:13 - Sep 25 with 7104 viewsJ2BLUE

The Poppie ban on footie shirts is lifted. on 09:57 - Sep 25 by blue_oyster

Agreed. I feel the same when I frequently see this woman in the street who keeps a poppy on her hat all year round. It really annoys me. Displaying it year round really defeats any meaning and point to it.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

The Poppie ban on footie shirts is lifted. on 11:36 - Sep 25 with 7052 viewsJustSpivvyChops

The Poppie ban on footie shirts is lifted. on 09:38 - Sep 25 by tcblue

Because of the context removal of it being specific (WWI) to commemorate *all* of the fallen soldiers and some sort of complicit justification of armed forces actions.

For instance, I understand why Derry born James McClean would rather not wear one.

The poppy has always been and continues to be, a symbol of remembrance and that alone, nothing more. It's history is very, very well documented.

Even if the poppy has become adopted by people across the world who also wish to express remembrance, in no way whatsoever does it, or could it, change the poppy's meaning to represent "complicit justification" for war or armed services actions anywhere, ever! Your suggestion is not only grossly ignorant, but utterly insulting to millions and millions of people.
The Poppie ban on footie shirts is lifted. on 11:56 - Sep 25 with 7010 viewsDarth_Koont

The Poppie ban on footie shirts is lifted. on 11:36 - Sep 25 by JustSpivvyChops

The poppy has always been and continues to be, a symbol of remembrance and that alone, nothing more. It's history is very, very well documented.

Even if the poppy has become adopted by people across the world who also wish to express remembrance, in no way whatsoever does it, or could it, change the poppy's meaning to represent "complicit justification" for war or armed services actions anywhere, ever! Your suggestion is not only grossly ignorant, but utterly insulting to millions and millions of people.

I think you both agree about what it should be. But there is often a definite militaristic, "support our boys" aspect that's crept into it in the past decade or so.

Pronouns: He/Him

The Poppie ban on footie shirts is lifted. on 13:10 - Sep 25 with 6896 viewsBergholtBru

The Poppie ban on footie shirts is lifted. on 09:49 - Sep 25 by GlasgowBlue

I’m proud that’s my grandfather risked his life fighting Nazis and fascists.

I`m proud that my father and grandfather risked their lives fighting for their country. They, as it happened, were fighting Nazis, but I doubt, until after the war, did they know the true extent of what they were fighting against. WW2 was not some kind of idealogical crusade against facism, it was a war against the axis powers, pure and simple, and should not be made to seem otherwise by todays tendency by some to play down anything resembling patriotism.

Offended you I have. A sh@t I do not give.
Poll: EU Referendum. What are your voting intentions at present?

The Poppie ban on footie shirts is lifted. on 13:23 - Sep 25 with 6870 viewsSpruceMoose

The Poppie ban on footie shirts is lifted. on 13:10 - Sep 25 by BergholtBru

I`m proud that my father and grandfather risked their lives fighting for their country. They, as it happened, were fighting Nazis, but I doubt, until after the war, did they know the true extent of what they were fighting against. WW2 was not some kind of idealogical crusade against facism, it was a war against the axis powers, pure and simple, and should not be made to seem otherwise by todays tendency by some to play down anything resembling patriotism.

Blimey...has someone hacked your account?

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."
Poll: Selectamod

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024