Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Advice needed: any landlords/legal bods about? 18:08 - Sep 25 with 3120 viewsfooters

Just been served notice of possession on our flat with two months' notice. But what's weird is that we're also in the process of signing a new contract with the landlord who recently approved another year's extension.

So, our new housemate is now going through the referencing process (paying £250 for the pleasure) and expected to be put on the new tenancy. The old tenancy became void three days ago, but the notice states that it's 'in line with our current tenancy agreement'.

Because no new contract has been signed, we have waited a couple of days to pay rent as we don't really want to hand over money without a contract in place. Got the money to pay now and asked the company to provide me with their bank details to make the payment (as I'm now lead tenant on the new contract). They didn't respond to two requests for this info.

So, can anyone tell me what the hell is going on? Is it because we're a couple of days late with rent, owing to the contract not being signed, or does he just want his flat back? And if so, why agree to an extension just last month?

Bit of an odd one, I know, but TWTD's full of intelligent cookies. Any advice really appreciated and I promise pints in return!

Cheers

footers KC - Prosecution Barrister - Friend to all
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

Advice needed: any landlords/legal bods about? on 18:13 - Sep 25 with 3087 viewsJimmyJazz

Not sure the 'not paying rent until contract sorted' is a wise move. But these days tenants seem to have everything against them. Who is the letting agent? If it's Leaders you are screwed

Poll: If we could perm sign just one, which would it be?
Blog: Top Championship Teams?

Advice needed: any landlords/legal bods about? on 18:22 - Sep 25 with 3063 viewsfooters

Advice needed: any landlords/legal bods about? on 18:13 - Sep 25 by JimmyJazz

Not sure the 'not paying rent until contract sorted' is a wise move. But these days tenants seem to have everything against them. Who is the letting agent? If it's Leaders you are screwed

Cheers for the reply.

Yeah definitely not the wisest thing to do! Thing is, the money isn't a problem and I was personally willing to pay without a contract in place (new lad's new to the UK and paranoid about all that). But considering I've asked them twice last week for their account details without reply, I couldn't have paid them anyway.

Thankfully not them, just a small local letting agent. Tbh I hope they're just trying to put the willies up us about rent and this notice is not binding in any way. But I really haven't a clue!

Advice needed: any landlords/legal bods about? on 18:49 - Sep 25 with 2995 viewsColin_Viljoen

When you paid your deposit, was it secured with an independent company?
Advice needed: any landlords/legal bods about? on 19:02 - Sep 25 with 2984 viewsfooters

Advice needed: any landlords/legal bods about? on 18:49 - Sep 25 by Colin_Viljoen

When you paid your deposit, was it secured with an independent company?

It's under a TDS with that firm. But because the new contract hasn't been signed yet, the previous lead tenant's name is still on the TDS. Seems to be a bit of a no-man's land. The new flatmate is waiting to pay up to the previous lead tenant but, again, doesn't want to do so without the contract in place.

Thanks for the reply :)

Advice needed: any landlords/legal bods about? on 19:17 - Sep 25 with 2956 viewsjeera

Advice needed: any landlords/legal bods about? on 18:22 - Sep 25 by footers

Cheers for the reply.

Yeah definitely not the wisest thing to do! Thing is, the money isn't a problem and I was personally willing to pay without a contract in place (new lad's new to the UK and paranoid about all that). But considering I've asked them twice last week for their account details without reply, I couldn't have paid them anyway.

Thankfully not them, just a small local letting agent. Tbh I hope they're just trying to put the willies up us about rent and this notice is not binding in any way. But I really haven't a clue!

Why should you pay out anything with so many uncertainties? You're not refusing to pay, merely with holding until the situation is clear. I'd say that's sensible as it's easier than getting money back once it's too late!

Can't you just call them for a chat and try to clear up everything that way? Although of course ask for the conversation's conclusion in writing asap too.

Dunno what to say really. I have only private rented once and was surprised at every damn turn.

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

Advice needed: any landlords/legal bods about? on 19:19 - Sep 25 with 2956 viewsClapham_Junction

If you're in Whitechapel ward, then your landlord falls under the council's licencing scheme (you can check if your landlord registered for it here: https://www.towerhamlets.gov.uk/Documents/Housing/Housing-provision/Landlord-acc ). If they didn't register, then they lose the right to serve notice on you.
Advice needed: any landlords/legal bods about? on 19:56 - Sep 25 with 2892 viewsfooters

Advice needed: any landlords/legal bods about? on 19:17 - Sep 25 by jeera

Why should you pay out anything with so many uncertainties? You're not refusing to pay, merely with holding until the situation is clear. I'd say that's sensible as it's easier than getting money back once it's too late!

Can't you just call them for a chat and try to clear up everything that way? Although of course ask for the conversation's conclusion in writing asap too.

Dunno what to say really. I have only private rented once and was surprised at every damn turn.

That's the way I see it too, but maybe just a load of miscommunication is to blame. Can understand their POV but surely a bit of common sense is in order.

Have contacted them and been as straight as possible, offering to pay asap if they provide details.

Many thanks for the input, mate, greatly appreciated!

Advice needed: any landlords/legal bods about? on 19:58 - Sep 25 with 2886 viewsfooters

Advice needed: any landlords/legal bods about? on 19:19 - Sep 25 by Clapham_Junction

If you're in Whitechapel ward, then your landlord falls under the council's licencing scheme (you can check if your landlord registered for it here: https://www.towerhamlets.gov.uk/Documents/Housing/Housing-provision/Landlord-acc ). If they didn't register, then they lose the right to serve notice on you.

Awesome, cheers mate. And plus points for a great memory! Very useful.

Will have a trawl through and see if we're there. Tbh I want to avoid as much legalese/aggro as possible but if pushkin comes to shovekin this will be great material.

A half pint is winging its way to you and all the other posters. Check your doormats for sogginess.

Login to get fewer ads

Advice needed: any landlords/legal bods about? on 20:06 - Sep 25 with 2868 viewsfooters

Advice needed: any landlords/legal bods about? on 19:58 - Sep 25 by footers

Awesome, cheers mate. And plus points for a great memory! Very useful.

Will have a trawl through and see if we're there. Tbh I want to avoid as much legalese/aggro as possible but if pushkin comes to shovekin this will be great material.

A half pint is winging its way to you and all the other posters. Check your doormats for sogginess.

Just seen I'm actually just in Stepney Green ward, so is it only Whitechapel that's covered?

Advice needed: any landlords/legal bods about? on 20:40 - Sep 25 with 2798 viewsClapham_Junction

Advice needed: any landlords/legal bods about? on 20:06 - Sep 25 by footers

Just seen I'm actually just in Stepney Green ward, so is it only Whitechapel that's covered?

Unfortunately for you it's only Whitechapel, Weavers, Spitalfields and Bangla town.
Advice needed: any landlords/legal bods about? on 20:46 - Sep 25 with 2775 viewsfooters

Advice needed: any landlords/legal bods about? on 20:40 - Sep 25 by Clapham_Junction

Unfortunately for you it's only Whitechapel, Weavers, Spitalfields and Bangla town.

Many thanks for the insight. See, I knew TWTD would have the knowledge! Really appreciate it.

Advice needed: any landlords/legal bods about? on 21:01 - Sep 25 with 2743 viewsRyorry

Advice needed: any landlords/legal bods about? on 18:13 - Sep 25 by JimmyJazz

Would it surprise you to learn that as a landlord, I feel these days that it's landlords who "seem to have everything against them"?!

Afraid I can't help the OP with his situation tho, I only ever have one tenant at a time on a rolling AST, and haven't ever had a similar situation to his.
[Post edited 25 Sep 2017 21:02]

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

Advice needed: any landlords/legal bods about? on 21:05 - Sep 25 with 2732 viewsjeera

Advice needed: any landlords/legal bods about? on 21:01 - Sep 25 by Ryorry

Would it surprise you to learn that as a landlord, I feel these days that it's landlords who "seem to have everything against them"?!

Afraid I can't help the OP with his situation tho, I only ever have one tenant at a time on a rolling AST, and haven't ever had a similar situation to his.
[Post edited 25 Sep 2017 21:02]

Half 'n half innit.

There will always be co operative/non-co operative tenants/landlords.

'My' last landlord was generally ok when everything was going his way.

Funny that.
[Post edited 25 Sep 2017 22:53]

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024