Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
So the US is testing an Anti-Nuclear Missile system 07:58 - Sep 26 with 2377 viewsbournemouthblue

Near Scotland, they've been working on systems like this since the 80s so you'd expect it to be fairly sophisticated.

If it works, it renders all the sabre rattling with North Korea a bit pointless unless they plan to use it offensively?

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/north-korea-latest-kim-jong-un-nu
[Post edited 26 Sep 2017 7:59]

Alcohol is the answer but I can't remember the question!
Poll: Rate this transfer window

So the US is testing an Anti-Nuclear Missile system on 08:01 - Sep 26 with 2358 viewsElderGrizzly

This exercise was planned way ahead of the recent North Korea dick-waving though.

Lots of airpsace restrictions while its on too, so a lot of transatlantic traffic affected.
So the US is testing an Anti-Nuclear Missile system on 08:14 - Sep 26 with 2333 viewsbournemouthblue

So the US is testing an Anti-Nuclear Missile system on 08:01 - Sep 26 by ElderGrizzly

This exercise was planned way ahead of the recent North Korea dick-waving though.

Lots of airpsace restrictions while its on too, so a lot of transatlantic traffic affected.

It wouldn't surprise me if they have a totally operational system

Making the 'deterrent' argument all a bit pointless

The Israeli Iron Dome system, admittedly based on lower tech rockets is an off shoot of this technology?

So the US is testing an Anti-Nuclear Missile system on 08:36 - Sep 26 with 2310 viewsStokieBlue

So the US is testing an Anti-Nuclear Missile system on 08:14 - Sep 26 by bournemouthblue

It wouldn't surprise me if they have a totally operational system

Making the 'deterrent' argument all a bit pointless

The Israeli Iron Dome system, admittedly based on lower tech rockets is an off shoot of this technology?

If they have a working system I don't think it's this one or anything like iron dome.

Intercepting an ICBM on the re-entry stage likely after it's split into multiple warheads is incredibly difficult. Hitting it on the boost stage is much easier but you'd need to be close to the launch site so not very feasible.

If they have a working system then it would likely be based around ground based lasers. They are speed of light weapons which allows you to take many shots rather than the one-off chance of hitting a missile traveling at many thousand mph which another missile.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

So the US is testing an Anti-Nuclear Missile system on 12:26 - Sep 26 with 2204 viewsbournemouthblue

So the US is testing an Anti-Nuclear Missile system on 08:36 - Sep 26 by StokieBlue

If they have a working system I don't think it's this one or anything like iron dome.

Intercepting an ICBM on the re-entry stage likely after it's split into multiple warheads is incredibly difficult. Hitting it on the boost stage is much easier but you'd need to be close to the launch site so not very feasible.

If they have a working system then it would likely be based around ground based lasers. They are speed of light weapons which allows you to take many shots rather than the one-off chance of hitting a missile traveling at many thousand mph which another missile.

SB

I don't doubt the complications of such a system

It's more the fact the American's spend half the world's defence budget and were incredibly paranoid throughout the Cold War

They will certainly have had mad cap Scientists working on a system of some sort, whether it ever made it past the Concept Stage is the real question

So the US is testing an Anti-Nuclear Missile system on 12:36 - Sep 26 with 2188 viewsJ2BLUE

Forgive my ignorance but isn't shooting a nuclear missile down slightly dangerous? Would it not impact over wherever it was shot down? Any chance of an EMP from the blast?

Genuinely clueless on this.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

So the US is testing an Anti-Nuclear Missile system on 12:43 - Sep 26 with 2170 viewsbournemouthblue

So the US is testing an Anti-Nuclear Missile system on 12:36 - Sep 26 by J2BLUE

Forgive my ignorance but isn't shooting a nuclear missile down slightly dangerous? Would it not impact over wherever it was shot down? Any chance of an EMP from the blast?

I'm not a weapons expert but my understanding is that a warhead in a Nuke requires a more complicated set of reactions rather than simply a detonation like conventional explosives?

I don't doubt there is some risk but it outweighs the potential result of it detonating over a large populated area?

So the US is testing an Anti-Nuclear Missile system on 12:46 - Sep 26 with 2158 viewsDanTheMan

It's probably less dangerous than letting it explode.

Poll: FM Parallel Game Week 1 (Fulham) - Available Team

So the US is testing an Anti-Nuclear Missile system on 12:49 - Sep 26 with 2152 viewsbournemouthblue

So the US is testing an Anti-Nuclear Missile system on 12:46 - Sep 26 by DanTheMan

Just a bit

Incidentally
https://www.wired.com/2017/05/interceptor-missile-defense-test/

Login to get fewer ads

So the US is testing an Anti-Nuclear Missile system on 12:52 - Sep 26 with 2144 viewsStokieBlue

Nukes are set off using implosion which has to be very carefully calibrated and executed.

The risk of shooting down a missile is that the radioactive components might scatter but it's not as bad as letting it go off as Dan says.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

So the US is testing an Anti-Nuclear Missile system on 12:58 - Sep 26 with 2130 viewsJ2BLUE

So the US is testing an Anti-Nuclear Missile system on 12:46 - Sep 26 by DanTheMan

Yea, strangely enough I did think of that.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024