Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Gareth Southgate... 08:14 - Oct 6 with 20858 viewsitfcjoe

Says the same thing after every game about not being sharp or quick enough on the ball.

Maybe at some point he'll realise you need to pick central midfielders who are good on the ball and can pass it forwards quickly and dynamically. I've nothing against Jordan Henderson and Eric Dier - there is room for them in the squad and they are decent players - but they are not the players for the 4231 we are trying to play.

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Gareth Southgate... on 09:21 - Oct 6 with 10050 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

It does help if Lallana and Alli are available.

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

Gareth Southgate... on 09:24 - Oct 6 with 10042 viewshype313

Last night's performance was a reflection of the FA's choice in manager, employing a yes man.

Can any fan of any club in the top two divisions say they would like Southgate as manager? I'd hazard a guess at no, which is a sad indictment of the status of the role at the national team.

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

on 09:26 - Oct 6 with 10037 views_

Gareth Southgate... on 09:32 - Oct 6 with 10017 viewshype313

on 09:26 - Oct 6 by _

Can't disagree with that, I can't see how playing Dier and Henderson together gives us any kind of dynamism. The one player with pace is Oxlade-Chambelain and he looks completely lost as a player at the moment, well for the past two years.

I also think it is ridiculous how Noble doesn't get a look in, but I suppose the classic case of not playing for a fashionable club comes into play again.

Gareth Southgate... on 09:33 - Oct 6 with 10014 viewsTractorWood

Gareth Southgate... on 09:24 - Oct 6 by hype313

Last night's performance was a reflection of the FA's choice in manager, employing a yes man.

Can any fan of any club in the top two divisions say they would like Southgate as manager? I'd hazard a guess at no, which is a sad indictment of the status of the role at the national team.

Spot on. The FA have wanted a clean cut, yes man for ages who reflects their 'philosophy' ie copy the most recent teams successful strategy from the previous tournament 4 years too late with unsuitable players.

Your point about no one wanting Southgate again highlights the issue and we are certain to fail poorly next Summer.

I know that was then, but it could be again..
Poll: At present who do you think you'll vote for?

Gareth Southgate... on 09:34 - Oct 6 with 10010 viewsKing_of_Portman_Rd

Gareth Southgate... on 09:21 - Oct 6 by Marshalls_Mullet

It does help if Lallana and Alli are available.

You'd have to expect both of them to walk straight back into the side (when Lallana is fit)

I do rate Henderson (I seem to be in a minority) but he's not suited to playing alongside someone like Dier and the two of them shouldn't be played together unless we're playing someone like Brazil.

I think if Wilshere was playing regularly (and playing well) for Arsenal he would be an absolute shoe in. He's exactly the sort of player who would have made things happen last night.
Gareth Southgate... on 09:35 - Oct 6 with 10008 viewsfactual_blue

It's just a meaningless platitude really, isn't it? You can always demand your players are sharper and quicker to the ball, no matter how sharp and quick to the ball they are.

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

Gareth Southgate... on 09:38 - Oct 6 with 9983 viewsHarryWright

on 09:26 - Oct 6 by _

Madness to not start Rashford who looks like England's brightest player at the moment.
Login to get fewer ads

Gareth Southgate... on 09:39 - Oct 6 with 9980 viewshype313

Gareth Southgate... on 09:34 - Oct 6 by King_of_Portman_Rd

You'd have to expect both of them to walk straight back into the side (when Lallana is fit)

I do rate Henderson (I seem to be in a minority) but he's not suited to playing alongside someone like Dier and the two of them shouldn't be played together unless we're playing someone like Brazil.

I think if Wilshere was playing regularly (and playing well) for Arsenal he would be an absolute shoe in. He's exactly the sort of player who would have made things happen last night.

Yep, if Wilshere continues on his road to recovery then he is the one spark that can open up opportunities, he really needs a run in the Arsenal first team though to stand any chance.

Gareth Southgate... on 09:58 - Oct 6 with 9943 viewsdavblue

I still think Carrick should be in the team.

He should be on 100 + Caps, he's a fantastic footballer, a wasted England career.
Gareth Southgate... on 09:59 - Oct 6 with 9934 viewsKing_of_Portman_Rd

Gareth Southgate... on 09:39 - Oct 6 by hype313

Yep, if Wilshere continues on his road to recovery then he is the one spark that can open up opportunities, he really needs a run in the Arsenal first team though to stand any chance.

Though given the dearth of midfield options currently, I wouldn't be surprised to see him get a call up soon even if he continues to be a bit part player at Arsenal.

Chalobah, Livermore and Winks have all had call ups and you wouldn't say that they've been pulling up any trees so far this season (perhaps a little unfair on Winks)

Also, I wish people would stop think the sun shines out of Dier's backside.. He is a decent player but the way he is spoken about at times would make you think he's some sort of world beater... Particularly by Hoddle, who shouldn't be allowed to be a pundit such is his Tottenham bias
Gareth Southgate... on 10:01 - Oct 6 with 9929 viewsReuser_is_God

It was like watching Hyam & Skuse.

Evans out
Poll: Are Burgers the new Cheese?

Gareth Southgate... on 10:03 - Oct 6 with 9918 viewsclive_baker

Gareth Southgate... on 09:34 - Oct 6 by King_of_Portman_Rd

I'm with you on Henderson, he's a wonderful footballer and more than worthy of his place in that side. I personally would give him the armband and unleash him as the box to box engine that he's capable of, which is highly infectious to those around him and a real example. Last night wasn't one of his better games admittedly, but then nobody played particularly well.

Personally if everyone is fit I would go with this:

Hart

Walker - Stones - Cahill - Rose / Shaw

Henderson - Ali - Lallana

Rashford - Kane - Sterling

Sturridge, Defoe, Vardy, Carroll on the bench to offer something different. Pickford, Keane, Trippier, Shaw or Rose, Mcguire, Dier on there too.
[Post edited 6 Oct 2017 10:05]

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

Gareth Southgate... on 10:25 - Oct 6 with 9860 viewsNo9

Joe Hart & Marcus Rashord apart the rest weren't much good.
But then there are not many good English players in the positions required by the national team.
Until the problem of; lack of quality coaches, money, a proper football structure from schools up is addressed and the will to do something about it makes things change English football will continue on a downward trajectory.
Gareth Southgate... on 10:32 - Oct 6 with 9843 viewshampstead_blue

I just don't think we have enough top quality players.

GS is a bit bland and corporate. Perfect for the FA but YAWN!

I wanted only a bit of last nights game but Kane looked isolated and when he got on the ball he looked top drawer. Not enough quality around him though.

Dier looked very clunky. Henderson ran around trying to look busy.

Better players I think is what we need. All these reforms, long term plans, and other pointless corporate twaddle will just keep consultants in daily fees and the endless delivery of YAWNS.......

Assumption is to make an ass out of you and me. Those who assume they know you, when they don't are just guessing. Those who assume and insist they know are daft and in denial. Those who assume, insist, and deny the truth are plain stupid. Those who assume, insist, deny the truth and tell YOU they know you (when they don't) have an IQ in the range of 35-49.
Poll: Best Blackpool goal

Gareth Southgate... on 10:34 - Oct 6 with 9834 viewsSW6Tractor

Gareth Southgate... on 10:25 - Oct 6 by No9

But then there are not many good English players in the positions required by the national team.
Until the problem of; lack of quality coaches, money, a proper football structure from schools up is addressed and the will to do something about it makes things change English football will continue on a downward trajectory.

Professional coaching/management is ironically nepotistic in a sport that is the ultimate meritocracy. I think it's the main reason many English players do not become world class.
Gareth Southgate... on 10:38 - Oct 6 with 9827 viewsNo9

Gareth Southgate... on 10:34 - Oct 6 by SW6Tractor

Professional coaching/management is ironically nepotistic in a sport that is the ultimate meritocracy. I think it's the main reason many English players do not become world class.

But there are many in the FA and other 'high' places that are not there on merit
Neoptism is far more prevalent
(No subject) (n/t) on 10:45 - Oct 6 with 9814 viewscaught-in-limbo

Gareth Southgate... on 09:38 - Oct 6 by HarryWright

Madness to not start Rashford who looks like England's brightest player at the moment.

[Post edited 6 Oct 2017 10:45]

#toxic
Poll: BREXIT - Hard, soft, phantom ...

Well yes, this is..... on 10:46 - Oct 6 with 9818 viewsBloots

Gareth Southgate... on 10:32 - Oct 6 by hampstead_blue

I just don't think we have enough top quality players.

GS is a bit bland and corporate. Perfect for the FA but YAWN!

I wanted only a bit of last nights game but Kane looked isolated and when he got on the ball he looked top drawer. Not enough quality around him though.

Dier looked very clunky. Henderson ran around trying to look busy.

Better players I think is what we need. All these reforms, long term plans, and other pointless corporate twaddle will just keep consultants in daily fees and the endless delivery of YAWNS.......

....essentially the issue.

The players are just crap (with one, maybe two exceptions) and their lack of ability at club level is masked by decent foreigners around them and Sky telling us how good they are.

The fans and the players themselves believe the hype.

TWTD Leadership Group/Elite Level Supporter/Anti-Bullying Crusader

Gareth Southgate... on 10:51 - Oct 6 with 9801 viewsFtnfwest

Gareth Southgate... on 10:25 - Oct 6 by No9

Hart made a decent stop near the end but on a couple of occasions he was so slow off his line it wasn't true.
[Post edited 6 Oct 2017 10:58]
Gareth Southgate... on 12:21 - Oct 6 with 9680 viewshype313

Gareth Southgate... on 10:51 - Oct 6 by Ftnfwest

Hart made a decent stop near the end but on a couple of occasions he was so slow off his line it wasn't true.
[Post edited 6 Oct 2017 10:58]

To be honest Hart needed to do something because he has been bang average for a while now, he seems to be number 1 on past glories.

Gareth Southgate... on 13:16 - Oct 6 with 9597 viewsSpruceMoose

Barney Ronay puts it pretty well, must have been taking notes from Dolly's art thread though:

"Here they were terrible in the new style, passing to each other but setting out with two lumbering central midfield wardrobes shielding a defence threatened only by its own misplaced passes. In the opening hour they produced a performance so lacking in purpose and precision it was like watching a piece of performance art, a 45-minute Warhol-style short film called Wembley Angst No94."

Ouch.

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."
Poll: Selectamod

Gareth Southgate... on 14:26 - Oct 6 with 9545 viewsitfcjoe

Gareth Southgate... on 09:33 - Oct 6 by TractorWood

Spot on. The FA have wanted a clean cut, yes man for ages who reflects their 'philosophy' ie copy the most recent teams successful strategy from the previous tournament 4 years too late with unsuitable players.

Your point about no one wanting Southgate again highlights the issue and we are certain to fail poorly next Summer.

Dan Ashworth is seemingly untouchable, but I'd wager most of his managerial appointments have been poor - especially the key ones of Senior Team manager and U21s manager.

There seems to be a narrative that he is doing well because he talks about DNA and the junior teams did well in the summer - in reality Chelsea, Man City and to an extent Spurs have 3 of the finest academies in the world and are producing fantastic players (Putting aside them making the breakthrough) so England are blessed with a serious amount of talent - how much of that is to do with the FA, and Ashworth in particular?

The squad we are sending to the U17 tournament next week is absolutely loaded with talent, a win there will make the FA look good but even when you've watched some of our successes in the summer the management and selection has at times hindered the team rather than helped it - just some of the players are that good that they can get over it.

Southgate is a failed manager making the same mistakes, he picks a squad for 3 at the back with 6 centre backs in it and then plays 4 at the back so the bench is totally unbalanced.

Wanting someone to be a good manager because they are a nice bloke and have done their badges isn't enough - we'd have been better off with someone like Redknapp who can get in and motivate the players and set them up properly

Gareth Southgate... on 14:27 - Oct 6 with 9545 viewsitfcjoe

Gareth Southgate... on 09:58 - Oct 6 by davblue

I still think Carrick should be in the team.

He should be on 100 + Caps, he's a fantastic footballer, a wasted England career.

I text mates yesterday saying we'd look better with Carrick and Wilshere in there - they are proper international footballers

on 14:56 - Oct 6 with 9493 views_

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024