Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
If you're English.... 15:33 - Oct 11 with 18276 viewsitfcjoe

....are you proud to be English?

I am personally, but seems like more people these days are ashamed to be English rather than proud of it.

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

If you're English.... on 15:37 - Oct 11 with 7202 viewsThe_Romford_Blue

You should never be ashamed to be English. As people in England, we are lucky. Ok the weather is a bit sh1t and there's the occasional terrorist attack but there's no wars, no mass famine, a Tescos near most houses.

We haven't drawn the shirt straw being English. A short straw would be being born as Syrian in a war or in Ghana having to walk 15 miles for a drink of water. So for that I'm grateful.

I may moan about the national football team but I'm still glad to be English.

Poll: Would we sell out our allocation for Wembley for a PJ Trophy final?

If you're English.... on 15:38 - Oct 11 with 7193 viewsSpruceMoose

What's to be proud of? It was just pure chance where I tumbled out of my mother.

However, it's easy to see why people might feel ashamed of the actions of the fellow people they get lumped in with.

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."
Poll: Selectamod

If you're English.... on 15:41 - Oct 11 with 7179 viewsLankHenners

Or neither.

I certainly wouldn't say I feel pride about being English, and I wouldn't say I was ashamed. Fortunate, yes, considering the hardships that many people in the world are born into, but proud? No.

Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand.
Poll: What is Celina's problem?

If you're English.... on 15:41 - Oct 11 with 7179 viewsbluewein

Do you ever look at the beginning of a thread and think "this can't end well..."?

Yes I am, btw.

Poll: What should you have your gammon with...?

If you're English.... on 15:41 - Oct 11 with 7166 viewscaught-in-limbo

I am neither proud nor ashamed to be English.

I wasn't responsible for my country's past, whether it was good or bad, nor am I responsible for the actions of my country today. The idea of being proud or ashamed of your nationality for most people is illogical in my opinion.

On the other hand, I feel I am lucky to have been born in England / Britain and be a UK passport holder.
[Post edited 11 Oct 2017 15:42]

#toxic
Poll: BREXIT - Hard, soft, phantom ...

If you're English.... on 15:42 - Oct 11 with 7157 viewsSpruceMoose

If you're English.... on 15:37 - Oct 11 by The_Romford_Blue

You should never be ashamed to be English. As people in England, we are lucky. Ok the weather is a bit sh1t and there's the occasional terrorist attack but there's no wars, no mass famine, a Tescos near most houses.

We haven't drawn the shirt straw being English. A short straw would be being born as Syrian in a war or in Ghana having to walk 15 miles for a drink of water. So for that I'm grateful.

You seem to be conflating two things here. It is perfectly acceptable to be thankful to be living in a stable and safe environment, while considering some of the actions your country takes domestically and internationally to be shameful.

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."

If you're English.... on 15:42 - Oct 11 with 7148 viewsThe_Romford_Blue

If you're English.... on 15:41 - Oct 11 by LankHenners

Or neither.

I certainly wouldn't say I feel pride about being English, and I wouldn't say I was ashamed. Fortunate, yes, considering the hardships that many people in the world are born into, but proud? No.

Fortunate is a better word for my feelings about being English actually.

If you're English.... on 15:43 - Oct 11 with 7139 viewshype313

If you're English.... on 15:41 - Oct 11 by caught-in-limbo

I am neither proud nor ashamed to be English.

I wasn't responsible for my country's past, whether it was good or bad, nor am I responsible for the actions of my country today. The idea of being proud or ashamed of your nationality for most people is illogical in my opinion.

On the other hand, I feel I am lucky to have been born in England / Britain and be a UK passport holder.
[Post edited 11 Oct 2017 15:42]

Was going to reply to the OP, but this is the more articulate post that I concur with.

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

Login to get fewer ads

If you're English.... on 15:43 - Oct 11 with 7138 viewsBlueinBrum

If you're English.... on 15:37 - Oct 11 by The_Romford_Blue

There's a difference between being GLAD to be English and being PROUD to be English.

I'd say i am the former but not really the latter.

You need to remember that the unfortunate circumstances you mention are not entirely unrelated to this country's ruthless exploitation of other parts of the world over several centuries.

Much of the long-standing wealth that this country enjoys is a direct result of exploitation, for example via brutal colonialism or the slave-trade.
[Post edited 11 Oct 2017 15:43]
If you're English.... on 15:44 - Oct 11 with 7114 viewsThe_Romford_Blue

If you're English.... on 15:42 - Oct 11 by SpruceMoose

You seem to be conflating two things here. It is perfectly acceptable to be thankful to be living in a stable and safe environment, while considering some of the actions your country takes domestically and internationally to be shameful.

I know - I kind of got carried away in my head.

'Fortunate' is a far better word for my thoughts than 'proud'

If you're English.... on 15:45 - Oct 11 with 7090 viewsIllinoisblue

it's not where you're from, it's where you're at.

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

If you're English.... on 15:46 - Oct 11 with 7075 viewsSpruceMoose

If you're English.... on 15:41 - Oct 11 by bluewein

Do you ever look at the beginning of a thread and think "this can't end well..."?

Yes I am, btw.

Actually, this seems to be a bit of a relative love-in!

In the non-Norfolk sense.

If you're English.... on 15:46 - Oct 11 with 7075 viewsIllinoisblue

If you're English.... on 15:38 - Oct 11 by SpruceMoose

What's to be proud of? It was just pure chance where I tumbled out of my mother.

However, it's easy to see why people might feel ashamed of the actions of the fellow people they get lumped in with.

bonus point for use of tumbled. Makes it sounds like a gymnastics move.

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

If you're English.... on 15:46 - Oct 11 with 7069 viewsSpruceMoose

If you're English.... on 15:46 - Oct 11 by Illinoisblue

bonus point for use of tumbled. Makes it sounds like a gymnastics move.

Triple front pike with a flying elbow drop at the end.

If you're English.... on 15:47 - Oct 11 with 7064 viewscrunchie1978

I'm proud to be English.. ..but not proud of what it's become.
If you're English.... on 15:48 - Oct 11 with 7063 viewsDarth_Koont

No reason to be ashamed of being English.

But there are way too many very vocal "proud English" people who let you down. The sort of patriots who want to "defend" their country by being hateful to anyone else. I can imagine a lot of people just don't want to be associated with them.

Pronouns: He/Him

If you're English.... on 15:49 - Oct 11 with 7049 viewscrunchie1978

If you're English.... on 15:48 - Oct 11 by Darth_Koont

No reason to be ashamed of being English.

But there are way too many very vocal "proud English" people who let you down. The sort of patriots who want to "defend" their country by being hateful to anyone else. I can imagine a lot of people just don't want to be associated with them.

Depends on what you class as hate.
If you're English.... on 15:50 - Oct 11 with 7042 viewschicoazul

I am English and am neither ashamed nor proud. There isnt much to be ashamed or proud of.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

If you're English.... on 15:50 - Oct 11 with 7034 viewsDarth_Koont

If you're English.... on 15:49 - Oct 11 by crunchie1978

Not really.

Pronouns: He/Him

If you're English.... on 15:58 - Oct 11 with 7002 viewsThe_Romford_Blue

If you're English.... on 15:49 - Oct 11 by crunchie1978

If you're English.... on 15:59 - Oct 11 with 6992 viewsSpruceMoose

If you're English.... on 15:50 - Oct 11 by Darth_Koont

Not really.

It's pretty straightforward, isn't it?

If you're English.... on 16:00 - Oct 11 with 6981 viewshype313

If you're English.... on 15:46 - Oct 11 by SpruceMoose

Actually, this seems to be a bit of a relative love-in!

In the non-Norfolk sense.

It's because Dolly hasn't entered the fray.

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

If you're English.... on 16:02 - Oct 11 with 6955 viewsBenters

I am a half breed English/Welsh and very proud of both countries.

Gentlybentley
Poll: Simple poll plane banner over Norwich

If you're English.... on 16:04 - Oct 11 with 6947 viewschicoazul

Joe what are you proud of? Why are you proud to be English?

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

If you're English.... on 16:07 - Oct 11 with 6933 viewsHeathlander

I'm proud to be English but do struggle with the attitudes of some of my fellow Englishmen. Tolerance seems to be a thing of the past these days.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024