Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
EU negotiations are a joke 13:07 - Oct 12 with 32830 viewsBlueRaider

No EU concessions, warns Barnier

Concluding his remarks, Barnier warns the EU won't be making concessions during future negotiations.

This is what has been said, if this is the case their whole basis for negotiation is that they have a position and aren't budging and just want us to roll over and pay the divorce bill.

Therefore it is not a negotiation, just a waste of time !

Blog: Yellow Cards and Why They Bug Me

EU negotiations are a joke on 13:49 - Oct 12 with 6119 viewsBOjK

You are misrepresenting what he said.

"No EU concessions, warns Barnier

Concluding his remarks, Barnier warns the EU won't be making concessions during future negotiations."

What they aren't going to make concessions on is the negotiation *process*. All sides are making concessions on the substance of the negotiations.

What has happened is the EU have insisted that the following are agreed:
* Safeguards on EU citizens rights who live in Britain
* Status of the EU border
* Exit bill

before negotiations proceed to discuss trade terms.

We agreed to this sequencing of talks right at the beginning, and the EU want to stick to it, as we said we would.

Blog: [Blog] Keep Calm and Carry on (Or Why the Club is Not in Crisis from Top to Bottom)

EU negotiations are a joke on 13:51 - Oct 12 with 6100 viewsThe_Last_Baron

There's not going to be a deal.

The fanatics who run the EU would rather the people suffer rather than come to an arrangement which benefits everyone. Their 'project' must prevail at all costs. If I was PM I'd announce that we are withdrawing from negotiations and if the EU want a free trade deal they can get in touch.

No deal would be the best for the UK in the long term. Nice clean Brexit and no more British taxpayers money into the EU coffers. WTO here we come.

Poll: Would you support a permanent return to the old yellow Town badge?

EU negotiations are a joke on 13:59 - Oct 12 with 6084 viewsBlueRaider

EU negotiations are a joke on 13:31 - Oct 12 by kizaitfc

Okay look at it from the EU's perspective, if they make this an amicable split do us a good deal and we come out of the EU massively successful.

Every other country will think they could do the same.

I am not saying it is right nor is it fair, but to me this was always going to happen.

And you say it is a negotiation, the plans were put out which the UK agreed to that before talk on later partnership the early stages including, Citizen rights, Northern Ireland and the Bill owing had to be sorted first.

None of the above 3 have been solved therefore we move no further!

This is true, but the EU are still insisting on the European court having jurisdiction over EU citizens in the UK after brexit. This to me is a ridiculous position to take, would they accept the opposite, or allow the US supreme court jurisdiction over US citizens in the EU ?

Blog: Yellow Cards and Why They Bug Me

EU negotiations are a joke on 13:59 - Oct 12 with 6087 viewsm14_blue

Before the referendum we were told ad nauseum that there would be no problem securing a deal, the German car manufacturers wouldn't let them not, they needed us etc etc

Now it seems to be a problem, it's their fault and not ours.

Yes, the 'negotiations' aren't showing the EU in a good light but it does beg the question of why we ever thought it would be any different?

Hopefully the posturing will eventually end and we can still secure as good a deal as possible.
EU negotiations are a joke on 14:00 - Oct 12 with 6072 viewsDarth_Koont

EU negotiations are a joke on 13:51 - Oct 12 by The_Last_Baron

There's not going to be a deal.

The fanatics who run the EU would rather the people suffer rather than come to an arrangement which benefits everyone. Their 'project' must prevail at all costs. If I was PM I'd announce that we are withdrawing from negotiations and if the EU want a free trade deal they can get in touch.

No deal would be the best for the UK in the long term. Nice clean Brexit and no more British taxpayers money into the EU coffers. WTO here we come.

Absolute nonsense from start to finish.

As for "the EU would rather people suffer". That accusation does unfortunately work against our own "democratic" representatives who are looking to keep their political party together and their career ambitions intact.

Pronouns: He/Him

EU negotiations are a joke on 14:01 - Oct 12 with 6069 viewsBent_double

EU negotiations are a joke on 13:29 - Oct 12 by artsbossbeard

"Ok, Sky, I'm cancelling my subscription BUT I still want all the channels. Ball's in your court".

Not exactly a fair comparison though, is it?

Besides, when you do that, don't Sky do everything they can, including offering you a free or heavily reduced subscription, to keep you? Negoitation, give and take?

Maybe that's the EU's problem; from the start they should have made a point of how close the referrendum result was, how many people in the UK don't want to leave the EU, how utterly stupid the simple 'in/out' question was.

*fair, not fare!
They could have said, OK, go away and think about it for a year, maybe have another referrendum, if you still want to leave then we'll talk.

It would have given both sides time to get their act together, well the UK at anyrate, because we sure don't seem to know what we're doing!
[Post edited 12 Oct 2017 14:31]

Poll: So what do we think will happen with MM and the Aston Villa job?

EU negotiations are a joke on 14:03 - Oct 12 with 6062 viewsWeWereZombies

EU negotiations are a joke on 13:33 - Oct 12 by MJallday

just tell them to do one, and if they want the money they can invade us

Or show them this:

Which would be marginally more impressive than when we sent that office boy with a knighthood to deliver 'the letter'.

Poll: Luton or Dubai ?

EU negotiations are a joke on 14:03 - Oct 12 with 6053 viewsDarth_Koont

EU negotiations are a joke on 14:01 - Oct 12 by Bent_double

Besides, when you do that, don't Sky do everything they can, including offering you a free or heavily reduced subscription, to keep you? Negoitation, give and take?

Maybe that's the EU's problem; from the start they should have made a point of how close the referrendum result was, how many people in the UK don't want to leave the EU, how utterly stupid the simple 'in/out' question was.

*fair, not fare!
They could have said, OK, go away and think about it for a year, maybe have another referrendum, if you still want to leave then we'll talk.

It would have given both sides time to get their act together, well the UK at anyrate, because we sure don't seem to know what we're doing!

"They could have said, OK, go away and think about it for a year, maybe have another referrendum, if you still want to leave then we'll talk."

We could and should have done that anyway. Always in our own control — and still is.

Login to get fewer ads

EU negotiations are a joke on 14:09 - Oct 12 with 6050 viewsThe_Last_Baron

EU negotiations are a joke on 14:00 - Oct 12 by Darth_Koont

Absolute nonsense from start to finish.

As for "the EU would rather people suffer". That accusation does unfortunately work against our own "democratic" representatives who are looking to keep their political party together and their career ambitions intact.

EU negotiations are a joke on 14:09 - Oct 12 with 6047 viewsPinewoodblue

EU negotiations are a joke on 14:01 - Oct 12 by Bent_double

*fair, not fare!

Or maybe the EU could have given Cameron some tangible reason for remainingthst the electorate could accept, they chose not to and remain intransigent.

2023 year of destiny
Poll: Dickhead "Noun" a stupid, irritating, or ridiculous man.

EU negotiations are a joke on 14:14 - Oct 12 with 6028 viewsSwansea_Blue

EU negotiations are a joke on 13:49 - Oct 12 by BOjK

You are misrepresenting what he said.

"No EU concessions, warns Barnier

Concluding his remarks, Barnier warns the EU won't be making concessions during future negotiations."

What they aren't going to make concessions on is the negotiation *process*. All sides are making concessions on the substance of the negotiations.

What has happened is the EU have insisted that the following are agreed:
* Safeguards on EU citizens rights who live in Britain
* Status of the EU border
* Exit bill

before negotiations proceed to discuss trade terms.

We agreed to this sequencing of talks right at the beginning, and the EU want to stick to it, as we said we would.

I'm glad someone has taken the little bit of effort needed to find out what he actually said and the context of his words, rather than base a view on press headlines.

Although the stalling appears to be not strictly just about the process but also the content of those 3 items, particularly the financial aspects on the severance bill. But these are closest to the fundamental principles and laws of the EU, and anyone thinking they'll abandon their four freedoms stance is naieve to say the least.

This talk of future relationships with EU member states is premature until we agree the leaving terms. That's always been the case as you say. What's not happening is the EU saying member states can't strike deals at all, just not yet.

What I can't decide is whether we're deliberately stalling because May feels she's between a rock and a hard place wrt the difference factions in her party. Or we're stubborn. Or just incompetent. (evidence points to the latter, but I'm mug enough to give them the benefit of the doubt).

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

EU negotiations are a joke on 14:22 - Oct 12 with 5992 viewsDarth_Koont

EU negotiations are a joke on 14:09 - Oct 12 by The_Last_Baron

Case in point.

The guy who prefers to see the upside of food banks. Admittedly he's one of the few who appears to have principles - the only problem is that most seem unbelievably crappy.

EU negotiations are a joke on 14:22 - Oct 12 with 5995 viewshype313

EU negotiations are a joke on 14:14 - Oct 12 by Swansea_Blue

I'm glad someone has taken the little bit of effort needed to find out what he actually said and the context of his words, rather than base a view on press headlines.

Although the stalling appears to be not strictly just about the process but also the content of those 3 items, particularly the financial aspects on the severance bill. But these are closest to the fundamental principles and laws of the EU, and anyone thinking they'll abandon their four freedoms stance is naieve to say the least.

This talk of future relationships with EU member states is premature until we agree the leaving terms. That's always been the case as you say. What's not happening is the EU saying member states can't strike deals at all, just not yet.

What I can't decide is whether we're deliberately stalling because May feels she's between a rock and a hard place wrt the difference factions in her party. Or we're stubborn. Or just incompetent. (evidence points to the latter, but I'm mug enough to give them the benefit of the doubt).

The latter.

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

EU negotiations are a joke on 14:24 - Oct 12 with 5984 viewsDarth_Koont

EU negotiations are a joke on 14:14 - Oct 12 by Swansea_Blue

The latter - in fact so incompetent that I don't think they understand the problem let alone any workable solution.

EU negotiations are a joke on 14:27 - Oct 12 with 5976 viewsSwansea_Blue

EU negotiations are a joke on 14:22 - Oct 12 by hype313

The latter.

There's a tiny bit in my tiny mind that holds out hope we're playing a hardline blinder here, and that we may end up having our cake and eating it. Not just our cake, but we get Germany's and France's cakes too.

In the same way I hope at the start of every season that we'll do the league and FA Cup double.

So pretty much fantasy land.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

EU negotiations are a joke on 14:28 - Oct 12 with 5973 viewsWeWereZombies

EU negotiations are a joke on 14:09 - Oct 12 by The_Last_Baron

That reminds me of the scene in 2012 where the numpty in charge of transport for the games is being asked a question and every time he starts his answer he gets distracted by his packet of crisps and never finishes saying what he set out to say - meanwhile his dry run sends London into gridlock...

EU negotiations are a joke on 14:34 - Oct 12 with 5952 viewsThe_Last_Baron

EU negotiations are a joke on 14:28 - Oct 12 by WeWereZombies

That reminds me of the scene in 2012 where the numpty in charge of transport for the games is being asked a question and every time he starts his answer he gets distracted by his packet of crisps and never finishes saying what he set out to say - meanwhile his dry run sends London into gridlock...

You must have an overactive imagination laddie.

EU negotiations are a joke on 14:39 - Oct 12 with 5938 viewsWeWereZombies

EU negotiations are a joke on 14:34 - Oct 12 by The_Last_Baron

You must have an overactive imagination laddie.

Now I have your attention - your recommendation of Zakopane was absolute shyte!

EU negotiations are a joke on 17:45 - Oct 12 with 5867 viewsNo9

EU negotiations are a joke on 13:28 - Oct 12 by GlasgowBlue

Because the UK outside of the EU is their biggest export market and a good deal will benefit them as much as it would us.

It's noticeable that whilst the EU negotiators and officials are talking tough, the individual governments of member states are much keener on a positive outcome from negotiations.

It seems that the EU is not acting in the best interests of it's member states and is acting like a bitter jilted lover.

A few recent examples:
Danish Finance minister Kristian Jensen
"The UK is a great trading partner of EU27, a strong ally in defence and security, so we need to find out how we can have a good and close relationship post-Brexit."

Xavier Bertrand,who runs the Hauts-de-France region
“I know one thing for sure — nobody has the right to punish the UK and the British people. It was a sovereign choice. Punishing and looking to punish is a terrible mistake. It would be a bad message to send. It was the will of the people who voted, regardless of the consequences. It would give rise to the feeling that there’s something with more power than the will of the people, or wanting to go against the will of the people. That would be a terrible error.”

Geert Bourgeois, the head of the Flemish government
“I’ve met twice Barnier. I brought him to Zeebrugge. 45% of the trade of the export from Zeebrugge is to the United Kingdom, so that’s why I do my best to influence all the people, the ambassadors of the surrounding countries, to work together”.
[Post edited 12 Oct 2017 13:29]

More garbage, why don't you do a little bit of research to see what you post is just garbage
The EU will move on as 27 nations
The UK needs the EU.
If the EU needed the UK things would move on
I heard an ex Brexit minister on the radio this afternoon - a very childish person indeed.
The UK wants to leave, then leave but they really don't want to.
EU negotiations are a joke on 18:36 - Oct 12 with 5850 viewsstantheman

EU negotiations are a joke on 13:24 - Oct 12 by artsbossbeard

The biggest joke is that simpletons like myself were able to cast a yes/no vote on something so complex in the first place.

Yeahhrr, but yuv got to stop these foreigners coming here sumhow.
EU negotiations are a joke on 20:46 - Oct 12 with 5812 viewsMelford

Why shouldn't we pay the divorce bill? We were the ones that filed for divorce! They've got 27 other countries in that union, as non-flouncing members of that union, their interests come before us in the eyes of the EU and rightly so.

Dragging TWTD into the gutter since 2009
Poll: What do you call this site?

EU negotiations are a joke on 20:52 - Oct 12 with 5807 viewsGlasgowBlue

EU negotiations are a joke on 20:46 - Oct 12 by Melford

Why shouldn't we pay the divorce bill? We were the ones that filed for divorce! They've got 27 other countries in that union, as non-flouncing members of that union, their interests come before us in the eyes of the EU and rightly so.

No one is saying we shouldn't. But all divorce bills are negotiated and compromises are made.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

EU negotiations are a joke on 20:52 - Oct 12 with 5806 viewsblueislander

EU negotiations are a joke on 17:45 - Oct 12 by No9

More garbage, why don't you do a little bit of research to see what you post is just garbage
The EU will move on as 27 nations
The UK needs the EU.
If the EU needed the UK things would move on
I heard an ex Brexit minister on the radio this afternoon - a very childish person indeed.
The UK wants to leave, then leave but they really don't want to.

The problem with GB's oost is that he doesn't acknowledge that it is not the 27 governments that are negotiating. It is the Eurocrats, and it is their moment in the sun. Therefore the negotiations are unlikely to succeed, unless (imo) Merkel and Macron get directly involved.
EU negotiations are a joke on 20:55 - Oct 12 with 5804 viewsGlasgowBlue

EU negotiations are a joke on 20:52 - Oct 12 by blueislander

The problem with GB's oost is that he doesn't acknowledge that it is not the 27 governments that are negotiating. It is the Eurocrats, and it is their moment in the sun. Therefore the negotiations are unlikely to succeed, unless (imo) Merkel and Macron get directly involved.

I think that's exactly what I acknowledged. That it is EU officials who are negotiating. And doing so without the best interests of the 27 member states they are supposed to be representing.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

EU negotiations are a joke on 21:00 - Oct 12 with 5800 viewsblueislander

EU negotiations are a joke on 20:55 - Oct 12 by GlasgowBlue

I think that's exactly what I acknowledged. That it is EU officials who are negotiating. And doing so without the best interests of the 27 member states they are supposed to be representing.

Fiar enough. I didn't interpret your post in that way. Do you think that Merkel and/or Macron will ride to the rescue?
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024