Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Cricket chaps and chapessessessesseessesss... 11:57 - Oct 13 with 3737 viewsbluewein

What do we make of this then...?
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/41605940

Seems a decent idea to make test cricket more attractive again (I'd hate the thought of it dying out completely)

Poll: What should you have your gammon with...?

Cricket chaps and chapessessessesseessesss... on 12:35 - Oct 13 with 3693 viewsvapour_trail

Like the championship. Completely against four day test matches. The very best tests tend to go deep into the fifth day.

Trailing vapour since 1999.
Poll: Should Gav and Phil limiti the number of polls?

Cricket chaps and chapessessessesseessesss... on 12:36 - Oct 13 with 3687 viewsReuser_is_God

It's impossible to say at this stage whether or not the proposed changes will revive/completely kill test cricket but it's good that they're at least trying.

Evans out
Poll: Are Burgers the new Cheese?

Cricket chaps and chapessessessesseessesss... on 12:37 - Oct 13 with 3688 viewsReuser_is_God

Cricket chaps and chapessessessesseessesss... on 12:35 - Oct 13 by vapour_trail

Like the championship. Completely against four day test matches. The very best tests tend to go deep into the fifth day.

Whilst I agree won't they just go deep into the 4th day with more overs being bowled each day?
[Post edited 13 Oct 2017 12:37]

Evans out
Poll: Are Burgers the new Cheese?

Cricket chaps and chapessessessesseessesss... on 12:41 - Oct 13 with 3674 viewsbluewein

Cricket chaps and chapessessessesseessesss... on 12:37 - Oct 13 by Reuser_is_God

Whilst I agree won't they just go deep into the 4th day with more overs being bowled each day?

Wouldn't be surprised to see more day/night tests with an extra 15-20 overs a day added on.

Poll: What should you have your gammon with...?

Cricket chaps and chapessessessesseessesss... on 12:46 - Oct 13 with 3661 viewsRadlett_blue

Cricket chaps and chapessessessesseessesss... on 12:37 - Oct 13 by Reuser_is_God

This.
Over rates in Test cricket are now absurdly low. They must introduce a penalty runs system (and also control some of the faffing by batsmen e.g. bringing out new gloves) & then I'm sure the fielding sides will up their game.
Oh, and ban the statutory "drinks break" - have a drink when you take a wicket.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

Cricket chaps and chapessessessesseessesss... on 12:49 - Oct 13 with 3653 viewsTLA

I really like the idea of the Test Championship - where the final will be played will be interesting. Home conditions are so important.

I agree with VT about the 4 day test - I think the psychology of a five day game is important, even if it doesn't go the distance. If anything, I'd like to ensure that a Test could always go the full 450 overs, whether it was in 4 days or 6.

Test cricket at it's best is wonderful sport. I can see why 20/20 is more appealing but I love everything about the five day game, especially when listening to TMS.
Cricket chaps and chapessessessesseessesss... on 12:50 - Oct 13 with 3650 viewsvapour_trail

Oh i see is that the plan, I thought it was shorter games.

Not sure how they'll manage 112 overs in a day when they can't manage the 90 they're currently supposed to get through.

Cricket chaps and chapessessessesseessesss... on 19:39 - Oct 13 with 3509 viewslocalboy78

I agree with the sentiment that something needs to be done to save Test cricket, but it's got the feel of fiddling while Rome, or Bridgetown burns. It's telling that it's taken over a decade and a half to get this far... And d still the big three are untouchable and Ireland and Afghanistan will never get a chance to prove themselves. Though they may get some actual Test matches, which can only be a good thing.

Sadly my faith in the benevolence of those in charge of our sporting institutions, national as well as international, is running pretty damn close to empty.

On a side not - and if Phil doesn't mind me turning TWtD into a cheaper and more ball-based version of Exchange and Mart, please delete this if you think it's unnecessary - some of you cricket types may be interested in my book that has just been released, a sort of auto/biography of Tillakaratne Dilshan. His is really an amazing story and he was at the forefront of the modern game, at least in terms of how T20 changed the world. You can buy it here. https://www.amazon.co.uk/Dilshan-Man-Behind-Scoop-Tillakaratne/dp/1987860136
Login to get fewer ads

Cricket chaps and chapessessessesseessesss... on 20:12 - Oct 13 with 3485 viewsRyorry

Good idea to have a kind of league championship, it does generate more interest/excitement since more rests on the result than if matches were just individual mini-series - would we be as interested in Championship football if every game were a one-off, or if the games against each club were just a mini series of 2 games, H and A?

I'm probably old-fashioned in preferring 5-day Test Matches to 20-20 or even 1 dayers, as 5 day Tests it seems to me bring out more of the psychological/wits pitted aspect of the game, as well as the physical, than the shorter forms do. Remember Nasser Hussain and Mike Brearly captaining, not to mention some of the recentish Ashes matches - absolute thrillers! If youngsters were educated more in the art of the 5-day-er (bring back Tests being shown on terrestial free to air TV ...) they wouldn't be a dying form ...

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

Cricket chaps and chapessessessesseessesss... on 20:32 - Oct 13 with 3464 viewslocalboy78

Cricket chaps and chapessessessesseessesss... on 20:12 - Oct 13 by Ryorry

Good idea to have a kind of league championship, it does generate more interest/excitement since more rests on the result than if matches were just individual mini-series - would we be as interested in Championship football if every game were a one-off, or if the games against each club were just a mini series of 2 games, H and A?

I'm probably old-fashioned in preferring 5-day Test Matches to 20-20 or even 1 dayers, as 5 day Tests it seems to me bring out more of the psychological/wits pitted aspect of the game, as well as the physical, than the shorter forms do. Remember Nasser Hussain and Mike Brearly captaining, not to mention some of the recentish Ashes matches - absolute thrillers! If youngsters were educated more in the art of the 5-day-er (bring back Tests being shown on terrestial free to air TV ...) they wouldn't be a dying form ...

The problem is that it will be so drawn out. A "season" lasting a couple of years is a very different prospect to the Championship. Sadly, I think Test cricket is becoming an anachronism and something has to give. Players always say that they treasure the five day game more than anything else, and, largely, I think are also steeped in the romance of it. But what if the money's no good?

Captaincy is interesting. Maybe there's an argument to say the 4 day game will have to bring more attacking ideas out of captains? Maybe it could work.

I doubt it though. But in many ways that makes me want to watch even more of it it as it becomes a niche. Sh1t, you can still enjoy Mozart. Or Mingus. Or Shed Seven long after they've been considered relevant.
Cricket chaps and chapessessessesseessesss... on 20:35 - Oct 13 with 3457 viewsvapour_trail

Cricket chaps and chapessessessesseessesss... on 19:39 - Oct 13 by localboy78

I agree with the sentiment that something needs to be done to save Test cricket, but it's got the feel of fiddling while Rome, or Bridgetown burns. It's telling that it's taken over a decade and a half to get this far... And d still the big three are untouchable and Ireland and Afghanistan will never get a chance to prove themselves. Though they may get some actual Test matches, which can only be a good thing.

Sadly my faith in the benevolence of those in charge of our sporting institutions, national as well as international, is running pretty damn close to empty.

On a side not - and if Phil doesn't mind me turning TWtD into a cheaper and more ball-based version of Exchange and Mart, please delete this if you think it's unnecessary - some of you cricket types may be interested in my book that has just been released, a sort of auto/biography of Tillakaratne Dilshan. His is really an amazing story and he was at the forefront of the modern game, at least in terms of how T20 changed the world. You can buy it here. https://www.amazon.co.uk/Dilshan-Man-Behind-Scoop-Tillakaratne/dp/1987860136

You'll be Jacob then?

Nice work. I loved watching Dilshan play, love Sri Lankan cricket and food. I used to live in tooting where there was a sizeable Tamil population and we had great restaurants.

Have just ordered a copy of the book, will post you a review on amazin once I've read it.

Cricket chaps and chapessessessesseessesss... on 20:40 - Oct 13 with 3450 viewsSteve_M

Cricket chaps and chapessessessesseessesss... on 19:39 - Oct 13 by localboy78

Agree with your first point, it's a gimmick. The best thing for Test cricket is competitive matches where advantage fluctuates. The West Indies win at Headingley this Summer a great example of that, also Pakistan last Summery.

Instead, everything is dominated by the BCCI with the ECB and CA not far behind in the greed stakes. This new stuff won't change that.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Cricket chaps and chapessessessesseessesss... on 20:50 - Oct 13 with 3436 viewslocalboy78

Cricket chaps and chapessessessesseessesss... on 20:35 - Oct 13 by vapour_trail

You'll be Jacob then?

Nice work. I loved watching Dilshan play, love Sri Lankan cricket and food. I used to live in tooting where there was a sizeable Tamil population and we had great restaurants.

Have just ordered a copy of the book, will post you a review on amazin once I've read it.

Thanks VT. It's appreciated. Dilshan is a true underestimated great. And an interesting guy. Dirt poor, and that's not easy to break through in s.l. And Ithe food is amazing. Ill treasure the moment I was chased by feral dogs down the streets of Colombo because of the amazing crab curry juice all over me. It's the best food I've ever eaten to this day.
Cricket chaps and chapessessessesseessesss... on 20:52 - Oct 13 with 3434 viewslocalboy78

Cricket chaps and chapessessessesseessesss... on 20:40 - Oct 13 by Steve_M

Agree with your first point, it's a gimmick. The best thing for Test cricket is competitive matches where advantage fluctuates. The West Indies win at Headingley this Summer a great example of that, also Pakistan last Summery.

Instead, everything is dominated by the BCCI with the ECB and CA not far behind in the greed stakes. This new stuff won't change that.

There are still great Test matches taking place. Bangladeshi win vs Australia, for instance. That's the sad thing. The game hasn't diminished as much as some would have you believe. It just needs support.
Cricket chaps and chapessessessesseessesss... on 06:47 - Oct 14 with 3351 viewscrunchie1978

Int broke don't fix it!
Cricket chaps and chapessessessesseessesss... on 08:51 - Oct 14 with 3307 viewsbournemouthblue

It''s a good idea, anything that gives tests a bit more relevance is fine by me

I don't like the four day test idea because it means more cricket over a day

However from a customer's point of view, I see the dense in it with travel and accommodation etc

Alcohol is the answer but I can't remember the question!
Poll: Rate this transfer window

Cricket chaps and chapessessessesseessesss... on 11:19 - Oct 14 with 3259 viewsJonnosdreadlocks

Cricket chaps and chapessessessesseessesss... on 08:51 - Oct 14 by bournemouthblue

It''s a good idea, anything that gives tests a bit more relevance is fine by me

I don't like the four day test idea because it means more cricket over a day

However from a customer's point of view, I see the dense in it with travel and accommodation etc

Test cricket is screwed I'm afraid. Youngsters at club level are playing less and less of the longer format as we come more obsessed with T20. There's even a T10 event now. Apart from the Ashes, there is little interest in the game outside England and Oz and its sad. The Test league is a step in trying to address the problem I guess.

Poll: An English Anthem. Wales and Scotland use their own what should England use?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024