Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Mick is the problem, not Marcus. 07:35 - Oct 16 with 45152 viewsamy73

Having seen virtually every game this season, I think we have a decent squad of players (some real gems in there) but there is something deeply wrong with the following:

training
Fitness and Injuries
selection
formation
tactics
substitutions

None of these problems - none of them at all - are down to Marcus. Blame him for the catering if you like, but not this.

I truly believe with a better manager, we could be top of the league. With Mick, I think it can never happen, because I just don't think he and TC have the ability to manage at a high level.

I hope Marcus acts sooner rather than later. I know he has been at most games this season so he can't be blind to this. I hope he is starting to look for a replacement now.
[Post edited 16 Oct 2017 7:42]
Mick is the problem, not Marcus. on 09:02 - Oct 16 with 6477 viewsKieran_Knows

Mick is the problem, not Marcus. on 09:01 - Oct 16 by artsbossbeard

I've got my own tribute threads now, which is nice.

Both Benters & Texters beat me to it. It was busy, funnily enough.

You've done well then!

Ha. God knows what it'll be like next Sunday IF we happened to lose.

Poll: We’ve got super KM, he knows exactly what we need. Woolfie at the back…

Mick is the problem, not Marcus. on 09:04 - Oct 16 with 6482 viewsSteve_M

Mick is the problem, not Marcus. on 08:48 - Oct 16 by chicoazul

But....is he? People keep saying that. I certainly believed it for a while. But our form for the last 18 months has been awful, we always have 5 or 6 injuries which may or may not be to do with things like training and rehab, we see a different formation every couple of weeks which I accept could be down to said injuries, and have we honestly seen any player improve in the last 18 months? I can think of Jonas.

I think he is but there is a nagging feeling that the inertia and negativity at the club won't change whilst he's still here. I do think there is a world of difference in the way we're trying to play this season compared to a year ago. Too much of last season was nothing too often, whereas this year we definitely have goals in us when it works.

We're losing too many matches but they are close matches - there wasn't a great deal in the one on Saturday. I genuinely don't think it worth the negativity I've seen since - if people haven't worked out that the Championship is full of similarly matched teams and close games by now....

On players improving: Kenlock and Emmanuel both have, although both clearly have limitations and the willingness to bring through Downes and Nydam is encouraging. Webster probably too although he needs a good injury-free run to show that.

When people come out with utter rubbish like the OP or complain about the length of time we've been in the division then you do wonder about how too many are judging MM.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Mick is the problem, not Marcus. on 09:09 - Oct 16 with 6459 viewsJETPower

The catering is awful.
Mick is the problem, not Marcus. on 09:18 - Oct 16 with 6443 viewsPinewoodblue

Mick is the problem, not Marcus. on 09:04 - Oct 16 by Steve_M

I think he is but there is a nagging feeling that the inertia and negativity at the club won't change whilst he's still here. I do think there is a world of difference in the way we're trying to play this season compared to a year ago. Too much of last season was nothing too often, whereas this year we definitely have goals in us when it works.

We're losing too many matches but they are close matches - there wasn't a great deal in the one on Saturday. I genuinely don't think it worth the negativity I've seen since - if people haven't worked out that the Championship is full of similarly matched teams and close games by now....

On players improving: Kenlock and Emmanuel both have, although both clearly have limitations and the willingness to bring through Downes and Nydam is encouraging. Webster probably too although he needs a good injury-free run to show that.

When people come out with utter rubbish like the OP or complain about the length of time we've been in the division then you do wonder about how too many are judging MM.

there is something in what the OP is saying but it is perhaps being lost in their over optimistic opinion on the quality of the squad and what could be achieve under a more progressive manager.

The title of the thread is of course totally wrong. If Mick is the problem it is for Marcus to sort out.

We do have a manager who can be too risk adversive and matching the opposition is a good example of that but at least he is willing to change the formation as a result we often finish a game with the formation, and players, many think we should have started the game with .

We have a televised game coming up against a team currently on a good run. If we try to grind out a result against Norwich and get soundly beaten then Marcus, not Mick. Has a problem that needs sorting.

2023 year of destiny
Poll: Dickhead "Noun" a stupid, irritating, or ridiculous man.

Mick is the problem, not Marcus. on 09:20 - Oct 16 with 6438 viewsRegencyBlue

MM is a problem.

Evans is THE problem!
Mick is the problem, not Marcus. on 09:26 - Oct 16 with 6419 viewsJimmy86

I think Mick is generally doing a good job with what he's got at his disposal and the style of play has improved from last season too. We have struggled with injuries big time and in a way this forced Mick's hand at times.

On our budget we are a mid table to top 10 team. We are never going to compete with Wolves, Derby and Villa etc, but what illustrates what we are up against is when a team like Bristol, who finished below us last season shell out 5.3 million on Diedou, that proves what we are up against and this is where Evans needs to do more.

Mick also needs to pick a system, that suits the players we have available and stick to it for a run of games. Sheffield Utd have come up from league 1 with momentum, but they have 1 of the best managers outside the prem in Chris Wilder. He has a 3 5 2 system that he sticks with and has the players to play that way. I don't think their budget is too far apart from ours, but they're clearly doing something right
Mick is the problem, not Marcus. on 09:29 - Oct 16 with 6411 viewschicoazul

Mick is the problem, not Marcus. on 09:04 - Oct 16 by Steve_M

One of the best things I have seen Mick do in the last couple of years is bomb Bru out for the new youngsters. Fair play, that was a positive good move. But I agree that I can't see him winning some people back, it just seems too far gone.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

Mick is the problem, not Marcus. on 09:30 - Oct 16 with 6410 viewsSteve_M

Mick is the problem, not Marcus. on 09:18 - Oct 16 by Pinewoodblue

there is something in what the OP is saying but it is perhaps being lost in their over optimistic opinion on the quality of the squad and what could be achieve under a more progressive manager.

The title of the thread is of course totally wrong. If Mick is the problem it is for Marcus to sort out.

We do have a manager who can be too risk adversive and matching the opposition is a good example of that but at least he is willing to change the formation as a result we often finish a game with the formation, and players, many think we should have started the game with .

We have a televised game coming up against a team currently on a good run. If we try to grind out a result against Norwich and get soundly beaten then Marcus, not Mick. Has a problem that needs sorting.

MM needs to pick a defence and play that in most games, with Adeyemi and Skuse ahead of it. Then we can rotate the forwards around a bit, just like we did in 2014-15. We have hardly played the same defence in two consecutive games, partly through injury, but that lack of continuity leads to more mistakes.

The matching up complaints are a bit overdone imo, we probably lost to Bristol City because we didn't pay enough attention to countering their threat, that and the awful (but still a bit unlucky) goal we conceded early on.

The real problem at the club remains Evans and his lack of a coherent view of why he owns the club, the five point plan scribbled on the pack of an HMRC letter last season notwithstanding. £6m or so a year (or less with player sales) is still a lot to chuck in to go nowhere.

Without that clear approach, the next manager will end up with supporters as disgruntled as now, maybe if they are as good as MM has been overall then it will take three or four years - if not we'll be back to an 18 month cycle.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Login to get fewer ads

Mick is the problem, not Marcus. on 09:30 - Oct 16 with 6408 viewsBinner

Mick is the problem, not Marcus. on 08:09 - Oct 16 by Reuser_is_God

Agree with all that.

Except form the journeymen players bit, what journeymen players do we currently have in our squad? I can count a grand total of 0.

We have several journeymen. It is nothing to do with the number of clubs. A journeyman in a sport or a trade is defined as trained and competent but not outstanding.

So... Skuse, Chambers, Bart, Tommy, Waghorn, Garner, Spence, Iorfa etc etc could all be called journeymen depending on your view of their skill level.

Poll: Last game of the season. You need to win. Would you rather be...

Mick is the problem, not Marcus. on 09:59 - Oct 16 with 6355 viewsPinewoodblue

Mick is the problem, not Marcus. on 09:30 - Oct 16 by Steve_M

MM needs to pick a defence and play that in most games, with Adeyemi and Skuse ahead of it. Then we can rotate the forwards around a bit, just like we did in 2014-15. We have hardly played the same defence in two consecutive games, partly through injury, but that lack of continuity leads to more mistakes.

The matching up complaints are a bit overdone imo, we probably lost to Bristol City because we didn't pay enough attention to countering their threat, that and the awful (but still a bit unlucky) goal we conceded early on.

The real problem at the club remains Evans and his lack of a coherent view of why he owns the club, the five point plan scribbled on the pack of an HMRC letter last season notwithstanding. £6m or so a year (or less with player sales) is still a lot to chuck in to go nowhere.

Without that clear approach, the next manager will end up with supporters as disgruntled as now, maybe if they are as good as MM has been overall then it will take three or four years - if not we'll be back to an 18 month cycle.

When we switched formation we stuck with the original players. Had we set out to play our own game we would have had different players on the pitch. Chambers and Kenlock both take some responsibility for the goal.

2023 year of destiny
Poll: Dickhead "Noun" a stupid, irritating, or ridiculous man.

Mick is the problem, not Marcus. on 10:00 - Oct 16 with 6357 viewsamy73

All I can do is look at other teams. Sheffield Utd as an example, yesterday. I have no idea what their budget is, but their players individually do not look any better than us. But they played as a team, they looked like they knew what they were doing. Passed the ball around well and attacked hard.

Looked like they had actually been coached. Looked like their manager knew what he was doing.

There are countless other examples of us being totally outclassed by teams with players of no better ability. Lincoln last year is a good example - managers who actually coach the team and get them playing.

We don't have that. Our players are good, but the team is poor. That is down to the manager, no one else. I fail to see how anyone can think Mick is doing a good job.

Are people seriously claiming Mick is the best we can do? Surely there MUST be better managers out there.
Mick is the problem, not Marcus. on 10:01 - Oct 16 with 6349 viewsSomethingBlue

Mick is the problem, not Marcus. on 10:00 - Oct 16 by amy73

All I can do is look at other teams. Sheffield Utd as an example, yesterday. I have no idea what their budget is, but their players individually do not look any better than us. But they played as a team, they looked like they knew what they were doing. Passed the ball around well and attacked hard.

Looked like they had actually been coached. Looked like their manager knew what he was doing.

There are countless other examples of us being totally outclassed by teams with players of no better ability. Lincoln last year is a good example - managers who actually coach the team and get them playing.

We don't have that. Our players are good, but the team is poor. That is down to the manager, no one else. I fail to see how anyone can think Mick is doing a good job.

Are people seriously claiming Mick is the best we can do? Surely there MUST be better managers out there.

In which fixture against Sheffield United did they totally outclass us? I remember a trouncing up there in 1992/93 — you can have that one, assuming it's what you were referring to.

Blog: The Way Back From Here Will Be Long, But There is a Way

Mick is the problem, not Marcus. on 10:04 - Oct 16 with 6335 viewsamy73

Mick is the problem, not Marcus. on 10:01 - Oct 16 by SomethingBlue

In which fixture against Sheffield United did they totally outclass us? I remember a trouncing up there in 1992/93 — you can have that one, assuming it's what you were referring to.

No I was referring to yesterday, when we were outplayed by the opposition for the vast majority of the match and Sheffield won easily.
Mick is the problem, not Marcus. on 10:06 - Oct 16 with 6321 viewsSomethingBlue

Mick is the problem, not Marcus. on 10:04 - Oct 16 by amy73

No I was referring to yesterday, when we were outplayed by the opposition for the vast majority of the match and Sheffield won easily.

I see.

Haven't you got.... on 10:08 - Oct 16 with 6315 viewsBloots

.....some housework to be getting on with?

TWTD Leadership Group/Elite Level Supporter/Anti-Bullying Crusader

Haven't you got.... on 10:10 - Oct 16 with 6304 viewsamy73

Haven't you got.... on 10:08 - Oct 16 by Bloots

.....some housework to be getting on with?

Nope, kids are on half term so they can earn some pocket money!
Mick is the problem, not Marcus. on 10:28 - Oct 16 with 6258 viewsPJH

An easy 1-0 win?
Would like to see us get some of those, I think our last one was at Wembley in 1978.
Mick is the problem, not Marcus. on 10:42 - Oct 16 with 6232 viewsLankHenners

So something that didn't really happen? Right.

Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand.
Poll: What is Celina's problem?

Mick is the problem, not Marcus. on 10:46 - Oct 16 with 6221 viewsunstableblue

Mick is the problem, not Marcus. on 08:37 - Oct 16 by itfcjoe

Utterly delusional.

No manager is going to ever succeed here if some supporters can't understand what we are up against in this division with the funding model we have.

It's getting to the stage where Mick may as well just walk away, because there is so much irrational dislike of him here when he is doing a good job with what he has at his disposal.

I have a slight issue with your theory.

Preston and Sheffield United are above us and are seemingly on an upwards trajectory. There are fans are really pleased with the football on display.

Whatever you think of Alex Neal, both he and Chris Wilder in my opinion are better technical managers than Mick. They have a set style of play. Which players follow, and are clear on. I am still unclear as to what system Mick prefers.

Both clubs, just as with Huddersfield last season, have similar or lower wage bills. Which doesn’t quite match your argument.

Town fans just want to see some energy, some craft, bit of continued pressure on teams, and a coherent plan.

I think we’ve got some better players at the moment and some good youngsters.

Poll: How many points will Town get from 5 (Wat, Boro, Hull, Cov, Hudd)?

Mick is the problem, not Marcus. on 10:50 - Oct 16 with 6208 viewsSomethingBlue

Mick is the problem, not Marcus. on 10:46 - Oct 16 by unstableblue

Preston and Sheffield United are above us and are seemingly on an upwards trajectory. There are fans are really pleased with the football on display.

Whatever you think of Alex Neal, both he and Chris Wilder in my opinion are better technical managers than Mick. They have a set style of play. Which players follow, and are clear on. I am still unclear as to what system Mick prefers.

Both clubs, just as with Huddersfield last season, have similar or lower wage bills. Which doesn’t quite match your argument.

Town fans just want to see some energy, some craft, bit of continued pressure on teams, and a coherent plan.

Have you not seen more craft and energy this season, honestly? It hasn't been remotely perfect and clearly the results are inconsistent — but personally I'd have expected that, rather ...

Mick is the problem, not Marcus. on 10:53 - Oct 16 with 6202 viewscaught-in-limbo

For those who think Marcus Evans is the problem, if 10-15m pounds was suddenly made available, do you honestly believe Mick has the managerial skills to turn that money into promotion?

#toxic
Poll: BREXIT - Hard, soft, phantom ...

Well he managed it.... on 10:57 - Oct 16 with 6180 viewsBloots

Mick is the problem, not Marcus. on 10:53 - Oct 16 by caught-in-limbo

For those who think Marcus Evans is the problem, if 10-15m pounds was suddenly made available, do you honestly believe Mick has the managerial skills to turn that money into promotion?

....with 2 of his previous 3 clubs.

TWTD Leadership Group/Elite Level Supporter/Anti-Bullying Crusader

Well he managed it.... on 11:00 - Oct 16 with 6169 viewsKieran_Knows

Well he managed it.... on 10:57 - Oct 16 by Bloots

That's not the point though, is it? He's a dinosaur and that's that.

Poll: We’ve got super KM, he knows exactly what we need. Woolfie at the back…

Mick is the problem, not Marcus. on 11:00 - Oct 16 with 6169 viewsnoggin

Mick is the problem, not Marcus. on 10:46 - Oct 16 by unstableblue

It does seem that every week Mick has to change things mid game, rather than the opposition having to. Maybe I'm wrong but it feels that way.

Poll: Which team thread should I participate in?

Well he managed it.... on 11:01 - Oct 16 with 6163 viewscaught-in-limbo

Well he managed it.... on 10:57 - Oct 16 by Bloots

Then something must have gone wrong, because they are now "previous clubs".

#toxic
Poll: BREXIT - Hard, soft, phantom ...

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024