Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Mick is the problem, not Marcus. 07:35 - Oct 16 with 44908 viewsamy73

Having seen virtually every game this season, I think we have a decent squad of players (some real gems in there) but there is something deeply wrong with the following:

training
Fitness and Injuries
selection
formation
tactics
substitutions

None of these problems - none of them at all - are down to Marcus. Blame him for the catering if you like, but not this.

I truly believe with a better manager, we could be top of the league. With Mick, I think it can never happen, because I just don't think he and TC have the ability to manage at a high level.

I hope Marcus acts sooner rather than later. I know he has been at most games this season so he can't be blind to this. I hope he is starting to look for a replacement now.
[Post edited 16 Oct 2017 7:42]
Mick is the problem, not Marcus. on 11:06 - Oct 16 with 7426 viewstractorboy1978

Mick is the problem, not Marcus. on 10:50 - Oct 16 by SomethingBlue

Have you not seen more craft and energy this season, honestly? It hasn't been remotely perfect and clearly the results are inconsistent — but personally I'd have expected that, rather ...

Agreed.

Energy is something we desperately need on Sunday, we need to be down their throats from the off, stop them from settling and impose ourselves on the game quickly.
Mick is the problem, not Marcus. on 11:10 - Oct 16 with 7414 viewsSomethingBlue

Mick is the problem, not Marcus. on 11:06 - Oct 16 by tractorboy1978

Agreed.

Energy is something we desperately need on Sunday, we need to be down their throats from the off, stop them from settling and impose ourselves on the game quickly.

Getting Adeyemi back will be vital, if we can.

Blog: The Way Back From Here Will Be Long, But There is a Way

Mick is the problem, not Marcus. on 11:14 - Oct 16 with 7412 viewsNo9

Mick is the problem, not Marcus. on 09:20 - Oct 16 by RegencyBlue

MM is a problem.

Evans is THE problem!

Evans is the owner
If you don't like the way he runs the club you can offer to buy him out otherwise, there is no point in getting frustrated if he won't spend his money
Mick is the problem, not Marcus. on 11:17 - Oct 16 with 7404 viewsamy73

Mick is the problem, not Marcus. on 10:42 - Oct 16 by LankHenners

So something that didn't really happen? Right.

Well unless you were watching a different game to me, Sheffield were cruising. I had the advantage of watching on TV rather than from behind the goal.

"Other than the final couple of minutes Town never put the Blades under significant pressure ... and a home win was a fair reflection of the game overall."

Not my words, but the words of TWTD.
Mick is the problem, not Marcus. on 11:30 - Oct 16 with 7385 viewsunstableblue

Mick is the problem, not Marcus. on 11:00 - Oct 16 by noggin

It does seem that every week Mick has to change things mid game, rather than the opposition having to. Maybe I'm wrong but it feels that way.

I think we all get a bit confused with formation over system, I don’t think they’re the same thing. They are obviously very tightly linked - for example you can’t be trying to hit the by-line without wide midfielders in a 4-4-2.

I think we did have a system earlier in the season of releasing sears, Iorfa and Ward with players sitting behind them, so they could attack the defence and thus pull players off the like of mcgoldrick and garner - now that is a system.

I couldn’t tell you what ours is. It certainly can’t be hit it long to a target man as we don’t have one.

Anyway to your point yes we certainly aren’t imposing our style on anyone - apart from the first few games and gloriously Sunderland. Who wet clearly shot of confidence.

I think it’s laudable supporting Mick, and I think he’s a good guy. But you have to question his set/up, how he approaches games and critically the energy he instills to take the game to the opposition.

Poll: With Freddie leaving, who is the striker in the McKenna song “xxx in attack”?

Mick is the problem, not Marcus. on 11:36 - Oct 16 with 7352 viewsLankHenners

Mick is the problem, not Marcus. on 11:17 - Oct 16 by amy73

Well unless you were watching a different game to me, Sheffield were cruising. I had the advantage of watching on TV rather than from behind the goal.

"Other than the final couple of minutes Town never put the Blades under significant pressure ... and a home win was a fair reflection of the game overall."

Not my words, but the words of TWTD.

For one, watching on TV is never an advantage other than to see replays of things. Whilst we never really had them under pressure for any significant period of the game, neither did they to us after the opening spell. It was a fairly typical tight Championship game where the better team won out in the end. We weren’t ‘outplayed’. Fulham outplayed us, Saturday was very different.

Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand.
Poll: What is Celina's problem?

Well he managed it.... on 12:41 - Oct 16 with 7310 viewsmonty_radio

Well he managed it.... on 10:57 - Oct 16 by Bloots

....with 2 of his previous 3 clubs.

As did Jewell with two of his previous clubs.

Blog: Too Many Suspects? – A Swede Ramble

Well he managed it.... on 12:42 - Oct 16 with 7305 viewsKieran_Knows

Well he managed it.... on 12:41 - Oct 16 by monty_radio

As did Jewell with two of his previous clubs.

... and look how much money he was given to achieve it a third time.

Poll: We’ve got super KM, he knows exactly what we need. Woolfie at the back…

Login to get fewer ads

Mick is the problem, not Marcus. on 12:44 - Oct 16 with 7314 viewsRegencyBlue

Mick is the problem, not Marcus. on 11:14 - Oct 16 by No9

Evans is the owner
If you don't like the way he runs the club you can offer to buy him out otherwise, there is no point in getting frustrated if he won't spend his money

Or if I don't like the way he runs the club I don't bother to go anymore - which appears to be the option taken by thousands of ex season ticket holders!
Mick is the problem, not Marcus. on 12:46 - Oct 16 with 7296 viewsBenters

Mick is the problem, not Marcus. on 08:29 - Oct 16 by noggin

"We are in a rebuild season" Jeez, how many of these have we had since Evans arrived? People say it every bloody season.
[Post edited 16 Oct 2017 8:32]

5 year plan innit x3 though and increasing to 16 season soon to be 17 etc etc.

Gentlybentley
Poll: Simple poll plane banner over Norwich

Well he managed it.... on 12:52 - Oct 16 with 7289 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

Well he managed it.... on 11:01 - Oct 16 by caught-in-limbo

Then something must have gone wrong, because they are now "previous clubs".

Yes - he got promoted and then struggled in the league above

Highlighting crass stupidity since sometime around 2010
Poll: Would you want Messi to sign?

Mick is the problem, not Marcus. on 12:56 - Oct 16 with 7283 viewsReuser_is_God

Mick is the problem, not Marcus. on 09:30 - Oct 16 by Binner

We have several journeymen. It is nothing to do with the number of clubs. A journeyman in a sport or a trade is defined as trained and competent but not outstanding.

So... Skuse, Chambers, Bart, Tommy, Waghorn, Garner, Spence, Iorfa etc etc could all be called journeymen depending on your view of their skill level.

By that logic we have a lot more journeyman as none of our players are outstanding.

Evans out
Poll: Are Burgers the new Cheese?

Well he managed it.... on 13:16 - Oct 16 with 7260 viewsmonty_radio

Well he managed it.... on 12:42 - Oct 16 by Kieran_Knows

... and look how much money he was given to achieve it a third time.

which, by analogy, shows?

Well he managed it.... on 13:17 - Oct 16 with 7257 viewsKieran_Knows

Well he managed it.... on 13:16 - Oct 16 by monty_radio

which, by analogy, shows?

That Evans is a bit dumb for not backing the best manager he's had since he's been here to the same level as Keane, Jewell and Magilton before him?

Poll: We’ve got super KM, he knows exactly what we need. Woolfie at the back…

Mick is the problem, not Marcus. on 13:23 - Oct 16 with 7260 viewsitfcjoe

Mick is the problem, not Marcus. on 10:46 - Oct 16 by unstableblue

I have a slight issue with your theory.

Preston and Sheffield United are above us and are seemingly on an upwards trajectory. There are fans are really pleased with the football on display.

Whatever you think of Alex Neal, both he and Chris Wilder in my opinion are better technical managers than Mick. They have a set style of play. Which players follow, and are clear on. I am still unclear as to what system Mick prefers.

Both clubs, just as with Huddersfield last season, have similar or lower wage bills. Which doesn’t quite match your argument.

Town fans just want to see some energy, some craft, bit of continued pressure on teams, and a coherent plan.

I think we’ve got some better players at the moment and some good youngsters.

It seems inherently unfair to me to only compare Mick against the teams that are also massively overperforming - like Preston and Sheff U at the moment.

Until last season we'd never finished below a team with a smaller wage bill than us - and we are the smallest spenders in the division on transfer fees. What's mad is that last season was terrible to watch, but we still finished effectively in a par position. If ITFC have a genuinely bad season we are very likely to go down or be very close to it.

It feels like Mick's shelf life is over here - because too many of the fans are against him. They've gone on about better football, playing the youngsters, etc etc and all areas where we have made clear and tangible progress - but lose a couple of games and the same criticisms come out even thiugh we are still currently within spitting distance of the play offs with an injury decimated squad.

Hopefully the next appointment works out here, but I personally don't expect it to in the environment of the Championship - we'll have to get very lucky

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Mick is the problem, not Marcus. on 14:00 - Oct 16 with 7221 viewsThe_Romford_Blue

Bit early to be drinking Amy

Poll: Would we sell out our allocation for Wembley for a PJ Trophy final?

Well he managed it.... on 14:03 - Oct 16 with 7215 viewscaught-in-limbo

Well he managed it.... on 12:52 - Oct 16 by C_HealyIsAPleasure

Yes - he got promoted and then struggled in the league above

Both times? Erm.

Is that the sort of person we want as our manager IF we go up?

#toxic
Poll: BREXIT - Hard, soft, phantom ...

Well he managed it.... on 14:06 - Oct 16 with 7200 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

Well he managed it.... on 14:03 - Oct 16 by caught-in-limbo

Both times? Erm.

Probably not, but it would be a lovely problem to have

Highlighting crass stupidity since sometime around 2010
Poll: Would you want Messi to sign?

Well he managed it.... on 14:13 - Oct 16 with 7187 viewsSteve_M

Well he managed it.... on 14:03 - Oct 16 by caught-in-limbo

Both times? Erm.

I would love to be able to worry about that if part. Don't see that happening anytime soon whoever is the manager.

All managers fail eventually, the good ones have some success before they do and I think MM is generally in that category.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Well he managed it.... on 14:46 - Oct 16 with 7156 viewscaught-in-limbo

Well he managed it.... on 14:06 - Oct 16 by C_HealyIsAPleasure

Probably not, but it would be a lovely problem to have

I don't want to be overly picky, but I'd sooner start the search for a new manager as soon as Mick's contract expires rather than wait till he gets us promoted and then see all his shortcomings in the first 6 months of a Premier League season and have to start afresh with a new manager as we look relegation in the face for the following 3 months.

#toxic
Poll: BREXIT - Hard, soft, phantom ...

Not really an issue mate..... on 14:59 - Oct 16 with 7143 viewsBloots

Well he managed it.... on 14:46 - Oct 16 by caught-in-limbo

I don't want to be overly picky, but I'd sooner start the search for a new manager as soon as Mick's contract expires rather than wait till he gets us promoted and then see all his shortcomings in the first 6 months of a Premier League season and have to start afresh with a new manager as we look relegation in the face for the following 3 months.

....while Evans and Mick are here we'll be in the Championship for the forseeable future.

The only way that is ever likely to change would be if Mick went.

(and then we still wouldn't be in the Premier League)

TWTD Leadership Group/Elite Level Supporter/Anti-Bullying Crusader

Well he managed it.... on 15:02 - Oct 16 with 7138 viewsmonty_radio

Well he managed it.... on 13:17 - Oct 16 by Kieran_Knows

That Evans is a bit dumb for not backing the best manager he's had since he's been here to the same level as Keane, Jewell and Magilton before him?

With respect,as they say, that's not an analogy, but an opinion that, unlike Jewell, whose past triumphs more-or-less paralleled Mick's, Mick has still got it.

Mick is the problem, not Marcus. on 19:25 - Oct 16 with 7083 viewsLeoMuff

Mick is the problem, not Marcus. on 09:04 - Oct 16 by Steve_M

I think he is but there is a nagging feeling that the inertia and negativity at the club won't change whilst he's still here. I do think there is a world of difference in the way we're trying to play this season compared to a year ago. Too much of last season was nothing too often, whereas this year we definitely have goals in us when it works.

We're losing too many matches but they are close matches - there wasn't a great deal in the one on Saturday. I genuinely don't think it worth the negativity I've seen since - if people haven't worked out that the Championship is full of similarly matched teams and close games by now....

On players improving: Kenlock and Emmanuel both have, although both clearly have limitations and the willingness to bring through Downes and Nydam is encouraging. Webster probably too although he needs a good injury-free run to show that.

When people come out with utter rubbish like the OP or complain about the length of time we've been in the division then you do wonder about how too many are judging MM.

Murphy and Mings also improved significantly

The only Muff in Town.
Poll: Lamberts rotational policy has left us....

Mick is the problem, not Marcus. on 19:40 - Oct 16 with 7064 viewstiptreeblue

Mick is the problem, not Marcus. on 10:50 - Oct 16 by SomethingBlue

Have you not seen more craft and energy this season, honestly? It hasn't been remotely perfect and clearly the results are inconsistent — but personally I'd have expected that, rather ...

But that craft and energy were from when MM couldn`t pick his favourite players because of injury. now they are back the team is reverting back to how they played last year
Mick is the problem, not Marcus. on 19:51 - Oct 16 with 7059 viewsPJH

Mick is the problem, not Marcus. on 19:40 - Oct 16 by tiptreeblue

But that craft and energy were from when MM couldn`t pick his favourite players because of injury. now they are back the team is reverting back to how they played last year

Just curious as to who these supposedly favourite players are that have been missing through injury-any ideas please?
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024