Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
'Every time you think [Brexit] can’t get any worse, it does.' 08:38 - Oct 16 with 28266 viewsWeWereZombies

Not a quote from me from the former head of the civil service Sir Bob Kerslake:

http://www.scotsman.com/news/opinion/lesley-riddoch-brexit-crisis-more-calamitou

Whether you are Remain or Leave there are some interesting points to chew over in the above article, the one I find most intriguing is the view that we are at the moment being ruled by a coalition and we will be whoever wins the next election.

'The Labour leadership, while notionally pro-Remain, really want to leave while the Tory leadership, who are pushing through Brexit, are on the whole in favour of remaining. The Labour leadership has to argue half-heartedly for Remain to hold its coalition together and the Conservative leadership has to argue unconvincingly about the benefits of leaving to hold its coalition together.'

And, oh, the cost -

'We need at least a four-year transition period and we are nowhere near starting proper talks about trading relationships because we need to sort the payment issue out. £50 billion looks like a lot of money but in the scheme of government spending, it isn’t.'

So if you are wondering why that £330m a week isn't being spent on the NHS, well that's three years worth of it right there - at least the transition period is down from the ten years mooted by Deloittes at the start of the year, no mention of the 30,000 extra civil servants they suggested though.

Still, at least we can flounce off and join the other five countries who exist without trade deals.

Poll: How will we get fourteen points from the last five games ?

'Every time you think [Brexit] can’t get any worse, it does.' on 09:03 - Oct 16 with 10494 viewscaught-in-limbo

I have a solution to this:

Every time a politician, newsreader or political commentator mentions Brexit, turn off your TV for the rest of the day and the day after.

Every time you read about Brexit in your newspaper, don't buy that paper the next 2 days.

In the end, the loss of advertising revenue will be so great, they'll be forced to either admit Brexit was never going to happen or actually get round to doing what the electorate voted for.

We wouldn't tolerate this much incompetence in any other area of our lives, so we should hit them where it hurts - their wallets.

#ItWasNeverGoingToHappen

#toxic
Poll: BREXIT - Hard, soft, phantom ...

'Every time you think [Brexit] can’t get any worse, it does.' on 09:07 - Oct 16 with 10496 viewsWeWereZombies

'Every time you think [Brexit] can’t get any worse, it does.' on 09:03 - Oct 16 by caught-in-limbo

Every time a politician, newsreader or political commentator mentions Brexit, turn off your TV for the rest of the day and the day after.

Every time you read about Brexit in your newspaper, don't buy that paper the next 2 days.

In the end, the loss of advertising revenue will be so great, they'll be forced to either admit Brexit was never going to happen or actually get round to doing what the electorate voted for.

We wouldn't tolerate this much incompetence in any other area of our lives, so we should hit them where it hurts - their wallets.

#ItWasNeverGoingToHappen

Hmmm, that sounds absolutely useless as an idea to stop the politicians wasting money. We need the media to illustrate how wasteful this whole process is and that will never happen if people bury their head in the sand.

'Every time you think [Brexit] can’t get any worse, it does.' on 09:08 - Oct 16 with 10490 viewsfactual_blue

WEEE AVE TAYKERN BAC KONTROWEL. WEE R BEE ING SWARMPED BUY IMMYGRUNTS. OWT MEENS OWT.

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

'Every time you think [Brexit] can’t get any worse, it does.' on 09:12 - Oct 16 with 10468 viewscaught-in-limbo

'Every time you think [Brexit] can’t get any worse, it does.' on 09:07 - Oct 16 by WeWereZombies

Hmmm, that sounds absolutely useless as an idea to stop the politicians wasting money. We need the media to illustrate how wasteful this whole process is and that will never happen if people bury their head in the sand.

Precisely, that's why I'm targeting the media - it might force them to try doing journalism rather than simply reporting what the government wants them to say.

Perhaps I didn't explain it too well. I hope that's clearer now.
[Post edited 16 Oct 2017 9:13]

#toxic

'Every time you think [Brexit] can’t get any worse, it does.' on 09:13 - Oct 16 with 10480 viewsimsureazzure

'Every time you think [Brexit] can’t get any worse, it does.' on 09:08 - Oct 16 by factual_blue

WEEE AVE TAYKERN BAC KONTROWEL. WEE R BEE ING SWARMPED BUY IMMYGRUNTS. OWT MEENS OWT.

'Every time you think [Brexit] can’t get any worse, it does.' on 09:14 - Oct 16 with 10474 viewsWeWereZombies

'Every time you think [Brexit] can’t get any worse, it does.' on 09:12 - Oct 16 by caught-in-limbo

Precisely, that's why I'm targeting the media - it might force them to try doing journalism rather than simply reporting what the government wants them to say.

Perhaps I didn't explain it too well. I hope that's clearer now.
[Post edited 16 Oct 2017 9:13]

It was clear in the first place - and just as barmy.

'Every time you think [Brexit] can’t get any worse, it does.' on 09:17 - Oct 16 with 10450 viewscaught-in-limbo

'Every time you think [Brexit] can’t get any worse, it does.' on 09:14 - Oct 16 by WeWereZombies

It was clear in the first place - and just as barmy.

Not really.

I agree with your comment "We need the media to illustrate how wasteful this whole process is and that will never happen if people bury their head in the sand."

What do you suggest we do to encourage the media to do that? I say stop buying/watching their news.

What's your solution?

#toxic

'Every time you think [Brexit] can’t get any worse, it does.' on 09:18 - Oct 16 with 10465 viewsWeWereZombies

'Every time you think [Brexit] can’t get any worse, it does.' on 09:08 - Oct 16 by factual_blue

Give it a rest, the game had moved on - it's not June 2016.

Login to get fewer ads

'Every time you think [Brexit] can’t get any worse, it does.' on 09:21 - Oct 16 with 10441 viewsWeWereZombies

'Every time you think [Brexit] can’t get any worse, it does.' on 09:17 - Oct 16 by caught-in-limbo

Not really.

I agree with your comment "We need the media to illustrate how wasteful this whole process is and that will never happen if people bury their head in the sand."

What do you suggest we do to encourage the media to do that? I say stop buying/watching their news.

What's your solution?

Well, you could look at the media that are pointing out the problems for a start. Now where on earth could you find an article including the words 'Every time you think [Brexit] can't get any worse, it does'?

'Every time you think [Brexit] can’t get any worse, it does.' on 09:30 - Oct 16 with 10398 viewsStokieBlue

You got your daily brexit strop in early this morning!

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

'Every time you think [Brexit] can’t get any worse, it does.' on 09:32 - Oct 16 with 10403 viewsWeWereZombies

'Every time you think [Brexit] can’t get any worse, it does.' on 09:30 - Oct 16 by StokieBlue

You got your daily brexit strop in early this morning!

SB

Sometimes I don't think much of the Lesley Riddoch articles but she's scored a direct hit this morning, Both barrels and ammo to spare. Despite the hurricane warnings I'm off out for a walk now - hopefully I will have ten pages of inane responses to deal with when I get back...

'Every time you think [Brexit] can’t get any worse, it does.' on 09:33 - Oct 16 with 10402 viewschicoazul

I'm a Remainer but i'll say this for Brexit, it seems to annoy all the right people.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

'Every time you think [Brexit] can’t get any worse, it does.' on 09:35 - Oct 16 with 10388 viewsfactual_blue

'Every time you think [Brexit] can’t get any worse, it does.' on 09:18 - Oct 16 by WeWereZombies

Give it a rest, the game had moved on - it's not June 2016.

The real problem is that a slew of people across the country think it's actually June 1816.

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

'Every time you think [Brexit] can’t get any worse, it does.' on 09:37 - Oct 16 with 10375 viewsDarth_Koont

'Every time you think [Brexit] can’t get any worse, it does.' on 09:33 - Oct 16 by chicoazul

I'm a Remainer but i'll say this for Brexit, it seems to annoy all the right people.

Yes, and makes the indifferent people more smug and self-satisfied.

Pronouns: He/Him

'Every time you think [Brexit] can’t get any worse, it does.' on 09:39 - Oct 16 with 10367 viewscaught-in-limbo

'Every time you think [Brexit] can’t get any worse, it does.' on 09:21 - Oct 16 by WeWereZombies

Well, you could look at the media that are pointing out the problems for a start. Now where on earth could you find an article including the words 'Every time you think [Brexit] can't get any worse, it does'?

How on earth is that going to achieve what you want?

How many people from this forum will click on your link let alone read the article or click one of the advertisers at the scotsman. com ?

Do you think Lesley Riddoch's boss will stride up to her desk and say: "great article Lesley, apart from the 95% SNP/sectarian messages left at the foot of your article, there were 4 comments from south of the border who liked your article - it looks like we're starting to get to the government here - they won't be able to ignore another great piece of investigative journalism like that holding them to account. The BBC have got wind of your article too I suspect they're finally going to really expose the government's wastefulness and wake up the docile masses.. Write another article like that and I'll see you right with a new pair of shoes."

Seriously, is that all we have to do to get "the media to illustrate how wasteful this whole process is and that will never happen if people bury their head in the sand".

#toxic

'Every time you think [Brexit] can’t get any worse, it does.' on 09:53 - Oct 16 with 10330 viewsGlasgowBlue

Opened the thread, saw Zombie having another flounce about Brexit. Facters throws in the obligitory parody of thick racist leavers. Quelle surprise.

Closed the thread.
[Post edited 16 Oct 2017 9:54]

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

'Every time you think [Brexit] can’t get any worse, it does.' on 09:58 - Oct 16 with 10302 viewsStokieBlue

'Every time you think [Brexit] can’t get any worse, it does.' on 09:32 - Oct 16 by WeWereZombies

Sometimes I don't think much of the Lesley Riddoch articles but she's scored a direct hit this morning, Both barrels and ammo to spare. Despite the hurricane warnings I'm off out for a walk now - hopefully I will have ten pages of inane responses to deal with when I get back...

You've got a few hours until it gets a bit windy.

Just speaking to someone about the great storm of 1987 and they weren't even born. Depressing.

SB

'Every time you think [Brexit] can’t get any worse, it does.' on 10:00 - Oct 16 with 10299 viewslowhouseblue

'Every time you think [Brexit] can’t get any worse, it does.' on 09:03 - Oct 16 by caught-in-limbo

#ItWasNeverGoingToHappen

"In the end, the loss of advertising revenue will be so great, they'll be forced to either admit Brexit was never going to happen or actually get round to doing what the electorate voted for."

what?? the loss of advertising revenue will force the media to 'actually get round to doing what the electorate voted for'. so you think that implementing brexit is the job of the media and they'll only do it if they lose advertising revenue?

this really isn't your best work.
[Post edited 16 Oct 2017 10:02]

And so as the loose-bowelled pigeon of time swoops low over the unsuspecting tourist of destiny, and the flatulent skunk of fate wanders into the air-conditioning system of eternity, I notice it's the end of the show

'Every time you think [Brexit] can’t get any worse, it does.' on 10:14 - Oct 16 with 10270 viewscaught-in-limbo

'Every time you think [Brexit] can’t get any worse, it does.' on 10:00 - Oct 16 by lowhouseblue

"In the end, the loss of advertising revenue will be so great, they'll be forced to either admit Brexit was never going to happen or actually get round to doing what the electorate voted for."

what?? the loss of advertising revenue will force the media to 'actually get round to doing what the electorate voted for'. so you think that implementing brexit is the job of the media and they'll only do it if they lose advertising revenue?

this really isn't your best work.
[Post edited 16 Oct 2017 10:02]

"The media's the most powerful entity on earth. They have the power to make the innocent guilty and to make the guilty innocent, and that's power. Because they control the minds of the masses”

Short of mass civil unrest, only the media has the power to expose the government's wastefulness and incompetence. As it is, they're not doing what they - as the 4th pillar of democracy - are supposed to do.

Now, we could all write angry letters to our favourite rags' editors, or we could stop giving them money.

How do you see the Brexit fiasco being resolved?

#toxic

'Every time you think [Brexit] can’t get any worse, it does.' on 10:21 - Oct 16 with 10249 viewsStokieBlue

'Every time you think [Brexit] can’t get any worse, it does.' on 10:14 - Oct 16 by caught-in-limbo

"The media's the most powerful entity on earth. They have the power to make the innocent guilty and to make the guilty innocent, and that's power. Because they control the minds of the masses”

Short of mass civil unrest, only the media has the power to expose the government's wastefulness and incompetence. As it is, they're not doing what they - as the 4th pillar of democracy - are supposed to do.

Now, we could all write angry letters to our favourite rags' editors, or we could stop giving them money.

How do you see the Brexit fiasco being resolved?

Out of interest, if the media are not reporting and exposing the governments wastefulness and incompetence how do you know about it?

SB
[Post edited 16 Oct 2017 10:21]

'Every time you think [Brexit] can’t get any worse, it does.' on 10:24 - Oct 16 with 10245 viewschicoazul

'Every time you think [Brexit] can’t get any worse, it does.' on 09:37 - Oct 16 by Darth_Koont

Yes, and makes the indifferent people more smug and self-satisfied.

Few people seem indifferent about this subject.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!

'Every time you think [Brexit] can’t get any worse, it does.' on 10:25 - Oct 16 with 10234 viewsNo9

'Every time you think [Brexit] can’t get any worse, it does.' on 09:58 - Oct 16 by StokieBlue

You've got a few hours until it gets a bit windy.

Just speaking to someone about the great storm of 1987 and they weren't even born. Depressing.

SB

I recall the storms of 87. I was in Malta.
By the time I got home the gamblers had lost a lot of my money
London didn't have any phoes during that period
'Every time you think [Brexit] can’t get any worse, it does.' on 10:26 - Oct 16 with 10233 viewsDarth_Koont

'Every time you think [Brexit] can’t get any worse, it does.' on 10:24 - Oct 16 by chicoazul

Few people seem indifferent about this subject.

Hmmm. There are an awful lot of people who don't think Brexit means anything (to them).

Pronouns: He/Him

'Every time you think [Brexit] can’t get any worse, it does.' on 10:28 - Oct 16 with 10226 viewscaught-in-limbo

'Every time you think [Brexit] can’t get any worse, it does.' on 10:21 - Oct 16 by StokieBlue

Out of interest, if the media are not reporting and exposing the governments wastefulness and incompetence how do you know about it?

SB
[Post edited 16 Oct 2017 10:21]

When the media truly exposes incompetence, wastefulness and lies it results in people losing their jobs. The media have exposed no one.

Out of interest, how do you see the Brexit fiasco being resolved?

#toxic

'Every time you think [Brexit] can’t get any worse, it does.' on 10:31 - Oct 16 with 10219 viewschicoazul

'Every time you think [Brexit] can’t get any worse, it does.' on 10:26 - Oct 16 by Darth_Koont

Hmmm. There are an awful lot of people who don't think Brexit means anything (to them).

Really? It seems to inflame passions like hardly anything else, on here and IRL.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024