Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
If anyone is using public Wifi - turn it off now 13:09 - Oct 16 with 7724 viewsDanTheMan

https://www.krackattacks.com/

tl;dr The main method of authentication for Wifi has been cracked and basically everything uses it. Not much you can do except wait for patches. Anything that uses HTTPS should be ok for time being.

Poll: FM Parallel Game Week 1 (Fulham) - Available Team

If anyone is using public Wifi - turn it off now on 14:51 - Oct 17 with 495 viewsMJallday

If anyone is using public Wifi - turn it off now on 12:50 - Oct 17 by DanTheMan

Sorry, I should have offered more explanation.

You are also absolutely vulnerable on your home network, however, an attacker would need to be within physical range of your wifi do to anything, which unless they happen to be living next door would not be an issue. Whereas a public wifi with lots of people on is an easy target as you can join and nobody would notice.

For most people not using wifi at home for X weeks is not an option which is why I did not say not to switch that off. We've switched off ours at work as a precaution, I know a few other companies that have done similar.

FWIW you will not need to update your router or access point for a fix.

As an update though
- Microsoft have released a patch which everyone should have today if you're using Windows, make sure to install all updates to ensure it's patched.
- Apple have one on the way, it's already been implemented and is going through their testing cycle
- Google will be releasing a patch "in the coming weeks" which is a bit rubbish but there we go
- Linux has the patch available.

EDIT: Just noticed Ryorry that your ISP told you that you were safe. That's a flagrant lie.
[Post edited 17 Oct 2017 12:52]

our intelligence (from various sources) suggests that a remote deployment version is already available and in the wild.

Stilton eating Participant - 1977 to Present Day
Poll: Will you be renewing if you are an existing ST Holder - given todays news?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024