Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Micks local Derby history as a manager 17:48 - Oct 16 with 7555 viewstextbackup

Makes really really poor reading, you'd naturally think he'd get his teams bang up for them, but in 19 local derbies (Sunderland, wolves, Ipswich) he's won 2! Drawn 5, lost 12

That's really surprises me

We’ll be good again... one day
Poll: How many home games do you get to a season

Micks local Derby history as a manager on 17:50 - Oct 16 with 7038 viewsDennyx4

Didn't he get sacked after losing one, whilst at Wolves 5-0 to WBA
Micks local Derby history as a manager on 17:57 - Oct 16 with 7007 viewstextbackup

Micks local Derby history as a manager on 17:50 - Oct 16 by Dennyx4

Didn't he get sacked after losing one, whilst at Wolves 5-0 to WBA

5-1 believe, at home

Micks local Derby history as a manager on 18:06 - Oct 16 with 6983 viewsStNeotsBlue

His play off record is equally poor.
Hopefully Sunday will be different and we will win 17-0.
[Post edited 16 Oct 2017 19:04]
Micks local Derby history as a manager on 18:09 - Oct 16 with 6976 viewsWacko

Proper men

Poll: Who would you rather see lose their job?

Micks local Derby history as a manager on 18:18 - Oct 16 with 6952 viewsitfcjoe

Ditto - looked at it before and it really surprised me how poorly he’s done in Big one off games. Play offs and derby record really poor

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Micks local Derby history as a manager on 18:29 - Oct 16 with 6915 viewstextbackup

Micks local Derby history as a manager on 18:18 - Oct 16 by itfcjoe

Ditto - looked at it before and it really surprised me how poorly he’s done in Big one off games. Play offs and derby record really poor

Glad you agree or it would look as tho I'm being anti MM LOL, but this was an actual observation.

I wonder if he gives off something that rubs off on the players, or if he just worries so much about losing that he makes poor choices

Micks local Derby history as a manager on 18:31 - Oct 16 with 6899 viewsjaykay

Micks local Derby history as a manager on 18:18 - Oct 16 by itfcjoe

the only play off game of any sort he has won is against mighty iran

forensic experts say footers and spruces fingerprints were not found at the scene after the weekends rows

Micks local Derby history as a manager on 18:39 - Oct 16 with 6869 viewsmonty_radio

Football wisdom has it that such occasions owe much to passion. I wonder if safety first is an inappropriate response against fired up teams and crowds? Put it down to coincidence if you will, but 10% success requires some sort of explanation.

Blog: Too Many Suspects? – A Swede Ramble

Login to get fewer ads

Micks local Derby history as a manager on 18:40 - Oct 16 with 6872 viewsportmanking

When you consider how much respect he pays to the opposition every week - talking them up to the high heavens - and the way he sets his sides up to negate the opposition, is it any wonder why his sides don't tend to make their mark on derby games?!
Micks local Derby history as a manager on 18:58 - Oct 16 with 6830 viewsitfcjoe

Micks local Derby history as a manager on 18:29 - Oct 16 by textbackup

Glad you agree or it would look as tho I'm being anti MM LOL, but this was an actual observation.

I wonder if he gives off something that rubs off on the players, or if he just worries so much about losing that he makes poor choices

Always feels as though he treats it as just another game which history suggests in these specific games it doesn’t work

Micks local Derby history as a manager on 19:00 - Oct 16 with 6818 viewsBenters

Lost 12?

Mick out!

Gentlybentley
Poll: Simple poll plane banner over Norwich

Micks local Derby history as a manager on 19:07 - Oct 16 with 6792 viewsThe_Romford_Blue

Micks local Derby history as a manager on 18:29 - Oct 16 by textbackup

On this one, it's a fair point.

I too have been suprised when seeing his derby games record.

Poll: Would we sell out our allocation for Wembley for a PJ Trophy final?

Micks local Derby history as a manager on 19:20 - Oct 16 with 6754 viewsPinewoodblue

Micks local Derby history as a manager on 19:07 - Oct 16 by The_Romford_Blue

On this one, it's a fair point.

I too have been suprised when seeing his derby games record.

Better than his cup record.

2023 year of destiny
Poll: Dickhead "Noun" a stupid, irritating, or ridiculous man.

Micks local Derby history as a manager on 19:22 - Oct 16 with 6748 viewsSpruceMoose

Micks local Derby history as a manager on 19:00 - Oct 16 by Benters

Lost 12?

Mick out!

Benters Out!

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."
Poll: Selectamod

Micks local Derby history as a manager on 19:27 - Oct 16 with 6724 viewsolimar

Micks local Derby history as a manager on 18:58 - Oct 16 by itfcjoe

Always feels as though he treats it as just another game which history suggests in these specific games it doesn’t work

Is this another aspect of his pragmatism v romanticism that rubs fans up the wrong way?
He always lets the context of the result dictate his approach- be it a cup game at Manchester United in a competition he doesnt believe we can win, a league game at Manchester United when he thinks the upcoming midweek fixture is more winnable, a derby match when a draw would be a good result for the league position.

As long as you deliver an end result that everyone accepts was worth it- promotion/avoiding relegation- then its all fine. But the problem comes when the end result isnt acceptable, or the benefit isnt perceptible to anyone.
Micks local Derby history as a manager on 19:56 - Oct 16 with 6665 viewsGarv

If he tells his players similar to what he tells the fans, 'it's just another game, Celtic vs Rangers is bigger' etc then it's no surprise. He may not be doing that, in which case I don't know what the problem is.

As a fan you want players and manager to give their all and show some ambition in these games. Not many of Mick's games against them have screamed ambition to me.

Poll: Pick a goal to win the derby in stoppage time...

Micks local Derby history as a manager on 19:59 - Oct 16 with 6650 viewsReuser_is_God

Micks local Derby history as a manager on 18:31 - Oct 16 by jaykay

the only play off game of any sort he has won is against mighty iran

He never mentions that either...

Evans out
Poll: Are Burgers the new Cheese?

Micks local Derby history as a manager on 20:02 - Oct 16 with 6635 viewsReuser_is_God

Better than his cup record

Evans out

Micks local Derby history as a manager on 21:03 - Oct 16 with 6532 viewsLankHenners

Micks local Derby history as a manager on 18:58 - Oct 16 by itfcjoe

I’d say that’s exactly it - taking the season a game at a time, looking at each one as no different to the last helps breed the sort of consistency which gets teams towards the top of the table. However, in the one-off games where you need to be that extra bit fired up, the above tactic falls apart if the opposition manager treats it like the special game it is as they can get the edge if they start with menace and you spend the whole match trying to pull yourself back into the game.

Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand.
Poll: What is Celina's problem?

Micks local Derby history as a manager on 21:16 - Oct 16 with 6505 viewsReuser_is_God

Micks local Derby history as a manager on 21:03 - Oct 16 by LankHenners

I’d say that’s exactly it - taking the season a game at a time, looking at each one as no different to the last helps breed the sort of consistency which gets teams towards the top of the table. However, in the one-off games where you need to be that extra bit fired up, the above tactic falls apart if the opposition manager treats it like the special game it is as they can get the edge if they start with menace and you spend the whole match trying to pull yourself back into the game.

Which is what has happened pretty much every time we've played them under MM.

Hopefully someone of Micks experience will have realised this & it'll be a bit different on Sunday &, of course, the crowd can help with this.

Evans out

Micks local Derby history as a manager on 21:21 - Oct 16 with 6494 viewstextbackup

Micks local Derby history as a manager on 21:16 - Oct 16 by Reuser_is_God

Which is what has happened pretty much every time we've played them under MM.

Hopefully someone of Micks experience will have realised this & it'll be a bit different on Sunday &, of course, the crowd can help with this.

I genuinely don't believe he'll do anything different, it'll be safety first and we'll be 1-0 down as they'll fly at us.

Micks local Derby history as a manager on 21:27 - Oct 16 with 6479 viewsTractorWood

Micks local Derby history as a manager on 21:21 - Oct 16 by textbackup

I genuinely don't believe he'll do anything different, it'll be safety first and we'll be 1-0 down as they'll fly at us.

I want to think we can win it but know he will set up to negate and then feel our way through the game. This normally means we concede first and then battle our way to our draw as oppose to just attacking them from the outset.

I know that was then, but it could be again..
Poll: At present who do you think you'll vote for?

Micks local Derby history as a manager on 21:37 - Oct 16 with 6448 viewstextbackup

Micks local Derby history as a manager on 21:27 - Oct 16 by TractorWood

I want to think we can win it but know he will set up to negate and then feel our way through the game. This normally means we concede first and then battle our way to our draw as oppose to just attacking them from the outset.

It's so obvious to so many. But they'll tell you that's not the case

Micks local Derby history as a manager on 21:50 - Oct 16 with 6423 viewsitfcjoe

Micks local Derby history as a manager on 21:37 - Oct 16 by textbackup

It's so obvious to so many. But they'll tell you that's not the case

I don’t think that’s how we played against them last year - started really fast but they scored on their first attack after 20 odd minutes.

Game died out in 2nd half but, in what was a rarity last year, we started quickly

Micks local Derby history as a manager on 22:01 - Oct 16 with 6380 viewstextbackup

Micks local Derby history as a manager on 21:50 - Oct 16 by itfcjoe

I don’t think that’s how we played against them last year - started really fast but they scored on their first attack after 20 odd minutes.

Game died out in 2nd half but, in what was a rarity last year, we started quickly

I can't remember that far back. however I do remember us not having many shots that game and that even though it was a local Derby I was bored

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024