Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
If only 08:13 - Oct 17 with 13100 viewsTonyj

Alistair Campbell's imaginary Theresa May speech

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2017/oct/16/theresa-may-brexit-cant-be
If only on 14:23 - Oct 17 with 4537 viewsvapour_trail

If only on 13:11 - Oct 17 by nrb1985

There is literally nothing you could say to me about Blair that would stop me from wishing he ran the country today.

He should be rotting away in prison, the murdering old bastard.

Trailing vapour since 1999.
Poll: Should Gav and Phil limiti the number of polls?

If only on 14:29 - Oct 17 with 4522 viewsArcher4721

If only on 14:12 - Oct 17 by Josebadleg

Cause they were wiped out when Cameron called the referendum in 2015....

Seeings as you seem a bit confused I'll do it for you

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-21148282
If only on 14:34 - Oct 17 with 4516 viewsFrowsyArmLarry

If only on 14:29 - Oct 17 by Archer4721

Seeings as you seem a bit confused I'll do it for you

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-21148282

Exactly. And the EU refused to negotiate so we left.

What's the downside exactly? I'm increasingly confident we will get a free trade deal and if we don't wto terms will be fine.
If only on 14:39 - Oct 17 with 4509 viewsArcher4721

If only on 14:34 - Oct 17 by FrowsyArmLarry

Exactly. And the EU refused to negotiate so we left.

What's the downside exactly? I'm increasingly confident we will get a free trade deal and if we don't wto terms will be fine.

My argument is that the liberals could've stopped it happening in the first place but once again they bottled out, in order keep hold of power. Now they want brexit scrapped?
If only on 14:42 - Oct 17 with 4505 viewsnrb1985

If only on 14:23 - Oct 17 by vapour_trail

He should be rotting away in prison, the murdering old bastard.

No - he shouldn't.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2017/jul/31/tony-blair-prosecution-over-ira

He should be where he belongs, as the smartest politician of my lifetime, shaping the policy debate in this country instead of the current incumbents.
If only on 14:52 - Oct 17 with 4487 viewsFrowsyArmLarry

If only on 14:39 - Oct 17 by Archer4721

My argument is that the liberals could've stopped it happening in the first place but once again they bottled out, in order keep hold of power. Now they want brexit scrapped?

Unfortunately everyone thought a win for remain was a forgone conclusion which would shut down UKIP / anti EU MPs for good. That was true right up to the point the last votes were counted. Bit of a cock up eh?
If only on 14:58 - Oct 17 with 4472 viewsbluewein

If only on 14:42 - Oct 17 by nrb1985

No - he shouldn't.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2017/jul/31/tony-blair-prosecution-over-ira

He should be where he belongs, as the smartest politician of my lifetime, shaping the policy debate in this country instead of the current incumbents.

"The smartest politician of my lifetime"

If your judging being smart by "getting away with it" then he's right up there with OJ Simpson.

Poll: What should you have your gammon with...?

If only on 15:07 - Oct 17 with 4455 viewsArcher4721

If only on 14:52 - Oct 17 by FrowsyArmLarry

Unfortunately everyone thought a win for remain was a forgone conclusion which would shut down UKIP / anti EU MPs for good. That was true right up to the point the last votes were counted. Bit of a cock up eh?

Yep it was a Tory in-fight though which put everybody off. Cameron and Gideon or Johnson and Gove.

Clegg should've stuck to his principles and said no.He was deputy Prime Minister ffs. But once again the lure of power got the better of him and made him prepared to take the risk.

He said this at time..

The Lib Dems, who are the junior partner in the UK's governing coalition, say pursuing a wholesale renegotiation of the UK's membership will cause uncertainty.
Lib Dem leader Nick Clegg, who is also deputy prime minister, said "years of uncertainty" caused by a future referendum would hit jobs and growth and this "was not in the national interest".
[Post edited 17 Oct 2017 15:09]
Login to get fewer ads

If only on 15:11 - Oct 17 with 4449 viewsnrb1985

If only on 14:58 - Oct 17 by bluewein

"The smartest politician of my lifetime"

If your judging being smart by "getting away with it" then he's right up there with OJ Simpson.

You're debating that Blair is smart? Of all the things you could throw at him challenging his intellect is pretty low down that list...

His Bloomberg speech on Brexit earlier this year was masterful and showed a grasp of the subject matter that was way way way in advance of anything I saw either before or after the referendum.
If only on 15:15 - Oct 17 with 4443 viewsvapour_trail

If only on 14:42 - Oct 17 by nrb1985

No - he shouldn't.

What does that link prove? That crime pays.

Trailing vapour since 1999.
Poll: Should Gav and Phil limiti the number of polls?

If only on 15:23 - Oct 17 with 4436 viewsbluewein

If only on 15:11 - Oct 17 by nrb1985

You're debating that Blair is smart? Of all the things you could throw at him challenging his intellect is pretty low down that list...

His Bloomberg speech on Brexit earlier this year was masterful and showed a grasp of the subject matter that was way way way in advance of anything I saw either before or after the referendum.

Not denying he's smart.

Like I say, he got away with being a murderer. Pretty clever cookie I'd say.

Poll: What should you have your gammon with...?

If only on 15:56 - Oct 17 with 4415 viewsBlueBadger

If only on 14:09 - Oct 17 by Archer4721

Why didn't the Liberals stop the referendum in the first place when they had the chance if the felt so strongly about it?

Because they weren't in government.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

If only on 16:01 - Oct 17 with 4408 viewsElderGrizzly

If only on 14:09 - Oct 17 by Archer4721

Why didn't the Liberals stop the referendum in the first place when they had the chance if the felt so strongly about it?

Why did Corbyn sack his own MPs from the front bench for trying to stand up to it, just to then change his mind to reflect their point of view 3 months later...

We stood up to it from day one of the referendum being announced. We haven’t flip-flopped depending on what Len McCluskey has said in a late night call
If only on 16:22 - Oct 17 with 4391 viewsBlueinBrum

No sh1t

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-41652416
If only on 16:38 - Oct 17 with 4365 viewsArcher4721

If only on 15:56 - Oct 17 by BlueBadger

Because they weren't in government.

Yes they were.
If only on 16:39 - Oct 17 with 4363 viewsArcher4721

If only on 16:01 - Oct 17 by ElderGrizzly

Why did Corbyn sack his own MPs from the front bench for trying to stand up to it, just to then change his mind to reflect their point of view 3 months later...

We stood up to it from day one of the referendum being announced. We haven’t flip-flopped depending on what Len McCluskey has said in a late night call

Sorry how has Corbyn got anything do to do with allowing the Tory's to have a referendum.
If only on 16:42 - Oct 17 with 4358 viewsGlasgowBlue

If only on 16:01 - Oct 17 by ElderGrizzly

A referndum commitment was in your 2010 Manifesto

"The European Union has evolved significantly since the last public vote on membership over thirty years ago. Liberal Democrats therefore remain committed to an in / out referendum the next time a British government signs up for fundamental change in the relationship between the UK and the EU".

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

If only on 16:42 - Oct 17 with 4357 viewschicoazul

If only on 13:11 - Oct 17 by nrb1985

There is literally nothing you could say to me about Blair that would stop me from wishing he ran the country today.

I believe there are many people who feel like this.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

If only on 16:55 - Oct 17 with 4338 viewsnrb1985

If only on 16:42 - Oct 17 by chicoazul

I believe there are many people who feel like this.

Not enough sadly.
If only on 16:58 - Oct 17 with 4337 viewsArcher4721

If only on 16:42 - Oct 17 by GlasgowBlue

"The European Union has evolved significantly since the last public vote on membership over thirty years ago. Liberal Democrats therefore remain committed to an in / out referendum the next time a British government signs up for fundamental change in the relationship between the UK and the EU".

They also had a commitment in 2010 in which 57 Liberal Democrat MPs signed the NUS 'Funding Our Future' pledge to vote against an increase in tuition fees.

Your point?
[Post edited 17 Oct 2017 16:59]
If only on 17:06 - Oct 17 with 4333 viewschicoazul

If only on 16:38 - Oct 17 by Archer4721

Yes they were.

What are you talking about you halfwit? The referendum was promised by the Tories as part of their 2015 manifesto. Clegg and the LDs had nothing to do with it.

From your own link; David Cameron has said the British people must "have their say" on Europe as he pledged an in/out referendum if the Conservatives win the election. That's exactly what happened. Nothing to do with the Lib Dems.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!

If only on 17:10 - Oct 17 with 4320 viewschicoazul

If only on 16:42 - Oct 17 by GlasgowBlue

Plenty of wiggle room in that last sentence.

If only on 17:13 - Oct 17 with 4315 viewsElderGrizzly

If only on 17:10 - Oct 17 by chicoazul

Plenty of wiggle room in that last sentence.

Indeed.

We have in recent times always been a pro-EU party. This line was just covering all eventualities i assume.
If only on 17:17 - Oct 17 with 4306 viewsElderGrizzly

If only on 16:39 - Oct 17 by Archer4721

Sorry how has Corbyn got anything do to do with allowing the Tory's to have a referendum.

You were asking why we didn’t stop it (we couldn’t as a junior partner in Govt), but anyway.

I posted a link to point out Labour could have put pressure on the Tories to stop Article 50 and a harr brexit, but instead they sacked MPs who showed any kind of opposition to that happening.

Keir Starmer’s perfect world could have been closer had Labour had their sh*t together rather than trying to undermine and/or protect their leader.

In an unbiased opinion, both could have done more. Now with so few MPs we can’t. It’s over to your lot
If only on 17:18 - Oct 17 with 4302 viewsElderGrizzly

If only on 16:58 - Oct 17 by Archer4721

They also had a commitment in 2010 in which 57 Liberal Democrat MPs signed the NUS 'Funding Our Future' pledge to vote against an increase in tuition fees.

Your point?
[Post edited 17 Oct 2017 16:59]

Is that like the Labour Manifesto pledge not to introduce tuition fees?
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024