Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
I really don't understand 13:04 - Oct 17 with 28849 viewsTRUE_BLUE123

Why any Ipswich fan who can get to game wouldn't go on Sunday. Whether your Mick in or Mick out it's the Derby, embarrassing if you don't go to support.

Edit/ seeing the replies i feel like I should be clearer. What I meant was that if you Can get to the game you should go. This doesn't mean if you live near Portman road or can get there you should be there, but if you are simply choosing not to go because you don't want to you should be there. People have commitments, some things are more important than football. But my point with it being embarrassing remains, we should be selling more tickets then we have.
[Post edited 17 Oct 2017 15:06]

Poll: Will Paul Lambert be Ipswich Town manager on the final day of this season ?

on 13:28 - Oct 17 with 5603 views_

I really don't understand on 13:26 - Oct 17 by BlueBadger

You COULD cancel Sky, get a ST, be saving £300 a year AND not be giving money to Rupert Murdoch...

I really don't understand on 13:30 - Oct 17 with 5596 viewsBornBlue

I really don't understand on 13:24 - Oct 17 by Bobbychase

Playing devil's advocate, Liverpool v Man United (and the reverse fixture) have been live every season since I was a teenager. You never see a half-empty Old Trafford or Anfield.

Very true. But I'm guessing the 78,000 (or whatever the ground holds) in the stadium differs greatly between TV games and non-TV games. Season tickets aside of course. Attending clubs like that are on a bucket list for many.
I really don't understand on 13:31 - Oct 17 with 5591 viewsBobbychase

I really don't understand on 13:26 - Oct 17 by Herbivore

I think we've always really had a hard-core support of not much more than 10k and then depending on success (or not as has generally been the case) we have a further, more casual but still fairly dedicated group of fans that number around 5-10k, then finally some plastics (numbering 10k plus at a guess) that can get the attendance up to above 25k if we're in the Prem or for one off big games. The glory hunting nature of the last group means that they don't really even see the derby as important unless we're gunning for promotion and/or it's being televised. People move between these groups at times too I guess but it strikes me that this is the rough make up of our fans, at least those who live an accessible distance from PR.

That doesn't take into account changing trends for attendances though. Cardiff used to get crowds of 4,000 in the 1980s. Then they attracted more fans with better teams and better facilities. I remember going in the Duncan era when 10-14,000 was our typical range of attendances. At the same time Arsenal were getting under 40,000 and Southampton 15,-16,000. Both get considerably higher than that.
In the Royle era crowds of 26-30,000 were actually pretty common at Portman Road away from derby day. The failure of the club has been holding onto a lot of those fans while other clubs (like Norwich for example) have added to their average crowds and kept hold of them.

Poll: Who's going to be at the Bolton game?

I really don't understand on 13:32 - Oct 17 with 5587 viewsBornBlue

I really don't understand on 13:26 - Oct 17 by BlueBadger

You COULD cancel Sky, get a ST, be saving £300 a year AND not be giving money to Rupert Murdoch...

Yes I could. But the Sky subscription benefits me, the Wife, and 2 kids. The season ticket would only benefit me.
I really don't understand on 13:32 - Oct 17 with 5583 viewsBerlinBlue

I really don't understand on 13:26 - Oct 17 by hammo56

I know quite a few people who won't be at the game on Sunday and live a lot closer to the ground than I do but I still wouldn't classify myself more of a supporter of ITFC than them just because I will be there.
Never can and never will understand this I'm a better fan than you attitude.

Indeed. As has been discussed on here before, there are a number of factors that influence whether people go to a match or not. It's such a cheap shot to deal out the "you're not a proper fan if you're not going" card.
I really don't understand on 13:33 - Oct 17 with 5578 viewsBlueBadger

I really don't understand on 13:32 - Oct 17 by BornBlue

Yes I could. But the Sky subscription benefits me, the Wife, and 2 kids. The season ticket would only benefit me.

Not giving money to Rupert Murdoch benefits us all, ultimately.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

I really don't understand on 13:34 - Oct 17 with 5570 viewsJakeITFC

I really don't understand on 13:28 - Oct 17 by Dubtractor

Well yes.

I'll be doing the telly box approach and will happily concede that makes me a lesser supporter than those going.

Not saying it's a bad thing - I wish I didn't spend £550+ on my season ticket every year to enjoy about 10 minutes a season, but there we are.
on 13:34 - Oct 17 with 5567 views_

I really don't understand on 13:31 - Oct 17 by Bobbychase

That doesn't take into account changing trends for attendances though. Cardiff used to get crowds of 4,000 in the 1980s. Then they attracted more fans with better teams and better facilities. I remember going in the Duncan era when 10-14,000 was our typical range of attendances. At the same time Arsenal were getting under 40,000 and Southampton 15,-16,000. Both get considerably higher than that.
In the Royle era crowds of 26-30,000 were actually pretty common at Portman Road away from derby day. The failure of the club has been holding onto a lot of those fans while other clubs (like Norwich for example) have added to their average crowds and kept hold of them.

Login to get fewer ads

I really don't understand on 13:35 - Oct 17 with 5566 viewsJ2BLUE

I really don't understand on 13:33 - Oct 17 by BlueBadger

Not giving money to Rupert Murdoch benefits us all, ultimately.

I'm seriously considering getting rid of Sky and BT Sport. I used to watch every game on tv. Now I can't sit through something like Leicester vs West Brom. I just couldn't care less about it.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

I really don't understand on 13:35 - Oct 17 with 5558 viewsHerbivore

I really don't understand on 13:31 - Oct 17 by Bobbychase

It was the plastics who helped boost the attendances when we looked capable of going up under Royle, many of them left over from the relatively recent Prem days. They've all dwindled away with the lack of success. Your post really kind of backs mine up rather than contradicts it. Even under Duncan we had that loyal hard-core 10k still.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

I really don't understand on 13:36 - Oct 17 with 5548 viewsStenvict

I really don't understand on 13:32 - Oct 17 by BerlinBlue

Indeed. As has been discussed on here before, there are a number of factors that influence whether people go to a match or not. It's such a cheap shot to deal out the "you're not a proper fan if you're not going" card.

This always happens on these type of threads. The OP is talking about Joe Bloggs who sits in his armchair in his house in Ipswich every Saturday afternoon, banging on about the good old days and how MM is a dinosaur and he won't return to PR until he has gone and ME is ruining our once great club. NOT those that have genuine reasons why they can't attend, like family, cost etc.

Poll: What will be announced first?

I really don't understand on 13:37 - Oct 17 with 5540 viewsThe_Romford_Blue

on 13:20 - Oct 17 by _

'If it wasn't on the box I'd be there'

In that case Libby you really should be going

Poll: Would we sell out our allocation for Wembley for a PJ Trophy final?

I really don't understand on 13:37 - Oct 17 with 5537 viewsJakeITFC

on 13:25 - Oct 17 by _

What encouragement will you be offering the club or players by being at home?
on 13:37 - Oct 17 with 5536 views_

I really don't understand on 13:37 - Oct 17 by The_Romford_Blue

'If it wasn't on the box I'd be there'

In that case Libby you really should be going

I really don't understand on 13:37 - Oct 17 with 5536 viewsBornBlue

on 13:28 - Oct 17 by _

You miss the point however. The money is already spent (on Sky). Attending the game live would be in addition to this. I'm not saying I'm hard up, I 'could' afford to go.

I agree its a lot of money however, Now TV and Netflix much more affordable, but the overall package and service from Sky wins hands down whether we like it or not.
I really don't understand on 13:37 - Oct 17 with 5538 viewsBobbychase

on 13:34 - Oct 17 by _

In that period, Norwich have had some awful seasons as well as good ones. They also had a season in League One but retained the bulk of their support.

I really don't understand on 13:39 - Oct 17 with 5526 viewsBobbychase

I really don't understand on 13:35 - Oct 17 by Herbivore

It was the plastics who helped boost the attendances when we looked capable of going up under Royle, many of them left over from the relatively recent Prem days. They've all dwindled away with the lack of success. Your post really kind of backs mine up rather than contradicts it. Even under Duncan we had that loyal hard-core 10k still.

Are we unique then? As a club I mean. Given that most other clubs get significantly higher average crowds than they did in the late 1980s and 1990s (when our average was at its lowest)

I really don't understand on 13:41 - Oct 17 with 5510 viewsStenvict

I really don't understand on 13:37 - Oct 17 by BornBlue

You miss the point however. The money is already spent (on Sky). Attending the game live would be in addition to this. I'm not saying I'm hard up, I 'could' afford to go.

I agree its a lot of money however, Now TV and Netflix much more affordable, but the overall package and service from Sky wins hands down whether we like it or not.

Even Benters is going ffs

Poll: What will be announced first?

on 13:41 - Oct 17 with 5502 views_

I really don't understand on 13:37 - Oct 17 by JakeITFC

What encouragement will you be offering the club or players by being at home?

on 13:42 - Oct 17 with 5497 views_

I really don't understand on 13:37 - Oct 17 by Bobbychase

In that period, Norwich have had some awful seasons as well as good ones. They also had a season in League One but retained the bulk of their support.

I really don't understand on 13:44 - Oct 17 with 5480 viewsJakeITFC

on 13:41 - Oct 17 by _

So your encouragement, being some miles away, will be less than a person in the stands, and your financial input, diluted as it is, will be much lower than a ticket buying Town fan.

Probably being less of a supporter on Sunday then, I'd suggest.
I really don't understand on 13:44 - Oct 17 with 5480 viewsThe_Romford_Blue

on 13:37 - Oct 17 by _

Because you've literally just said that it's the fact it's on sky that you don't want to come.

Baffles me tbh

I really don't understand on 13:45 - Oct 17 with 5470 viewsThe_Romford_Blue

on 13:41 - Oct 17 by _

That first bit.. so you don't sing at games?

Even in the derby against the scum?

I really don't understand on 13:45 - Oct 17 with 5467 viewsArcher4721

I really don't understand on 13:21 - Oct 17 by BornBlue

What a load of nonsense the replies have been so far on this. Here's the truth, if it wasn't on the TV, I and many others would be going to the game. Simple. I've attended many of the derby's over the years, including the highs of 5-0 and lows of 1-5. But I am not going on Sunday because yes, I pay £800 per year to be a Sky Sports subscriber, and currently do not pay £500 to be a season ticket holder. If it was not on TV, I would pay £30 to watch it at the ground with a match day ticket. Don't moan at the people who have done this maths. As a father of two young children, money can't just be thrown around carefree. I would prefer to be at the game of course, but I'll hardly be missing out by watching on Sky. Its got sod all to do with Mick in our out, or being physically able to attend.

So you never go and watch them then. The only time you see them is when they're on the telly? You're hardly a "supporter" these days then.
on 13:48 - Oct 17 with 5453 views_

I really don't understand on 13:44 - Oct 17 by The_Romford_Blue

Because you've literally just said that it's the fact it's on sky that you don't want to come.

Baffles me tbh

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024