Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Songs you always thought were happy but really are not. 13:09 - Oct 17 with 10361 viewsMattinLondon

I knew for a little while that ‘Every breath you take’ wasn’t really a happy love song but I only realised quite recently that "Copacabana’ by Manilow was quite dark.

Just wondered if anyone had other examples of songs which may well seem quite upbeat but whose lyrics aren’t at all?
Songs you always thought were happy but really are not. on 13:26 - Oct 17 with 8902 viewsGuthrum

Almost everything by ABBA.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Songs you always thought were happy but really are not. on 13:29 - Oct 17 with 8900 viewsBecclesITFC

There is a song about whale hunting. Annoyingly i can't think think who did it, however, the music is really upbeat. Sort of classic rock tune. Wasn't till the presenter of Planet Rock advised what it was about did I think it was anything downbeat.
Songs you always thought were happy but really are not. on 13:32 - Oct 17 with 8885 viewsbluewein

Poll: What should you have your gammon with...?

Songs you always thought were happy but really are not. on 13:33 - Oct 17 with 8886 viewsThrobbe

It always bemused me that people used "I Will Always Love You" for weddings. They should have been forced to listen to the Dolly Parton version and then told to stop being morons.

TWTD Cycling Herbert

Songs you always thought were happy but really are not. on 13:41 - Oct 17 with 8868 viewsGuthrum

Songs you always thought were happy but really are not. on 13:29 - Oct 17 by BecclesITFC

There is a song about whale hunting. Annoyingly i can't think think who did it, however, the music is really upbeat. Sort of classic rock tune. Wasn't till the presenter of Planet Rock advised what it was about did I think it was anything downbeat.

Do you mean Nantucket Sleighride, by Mountain? Is about the experiences of 19th century whale hunters.

[Post edited 17 Oct 2017 13:48]

Songs you always thought were happy but really are not. on 13:43 - Oct 17 with 8865 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Gimme hope Jo'anna - Eddie Grant

I loved this as a kid in the 80's, never really noticed the lyrics at the time.

Bought an Eddie Grant album a few years back and realised it was an anti apartheid song.... but that actually made me like it even more.

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

Songs you always thought were happy but really are not. on 13:56 - Oct 17 with 8818 viewsBecclesITFC

Songs you always thought were happy but really are not. on 13:41 - Oct 17 by Guthrum

Do you mean Nantucket Sleighride, by Mountain? Is about the experiences of 19th century whale hunters.

Might be. I have no sound at work. Will let you know. Can't imagine there are many songs with that subject.
Songs you always thought were happy but really are not. on 13:58 - Oct 17 with 8815 viewsThrobbe

Songs you always thought were happy but really are not. on 13:33 - Oct 17 by Throbbe

It always bemused me that people used "I Will Always Love You" for weddings. They should have been forced to listen to the Dolly Parton version and then told to stop being morons.

Under songs tragically misinterpreted by idiots, see also:

Perfect Day
Born In The USA
From A Distance - I'm looking at you Sir Cliff.

TWTD Cycling Herbert

Login to get fewer ads

Songs you always thought were happy but really are not. on 14:04 - Oct 17 with 8790 viewshoppy

Songs you always thought were happy but really are not. on 13:58 - Oct 17 by Throbbe

Perfect Day
Born In The USA

I guess you could add to the list Golden Brown by The Stranglers, and many of The Smiths songs that have very jolly guitar melodies?

Poll: Which Which nickname for ITFC do you prefer? poll do you prefer?
Blog: Graphical Blog: I Feel the Need...

Songs you always thought were happy but really are not. on 14:11 - Oct 17 with 8772 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Songs you always thought were happy but really are not. on 13:58 - Oct 17 by Throbbe

Perfect Day
Born In The USA

I think whats clever about Perfect Day is that it can be interpreted a number of ways.

People could choose to see it as a romantic song if they wanted.

I dont think anyone without prior knowledge of the song or artist is going to think 'hey, this is a song written by some druggie about his addiction!'.

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

Songs you always thought were happy but really are not. on 14:11 - Oct 17 with 8772 viewsvapour_trail

Trailing vapour since 1999.
Poll: Should Gav and Phil limiti the number of polls?

Songs you always thought were happy but really are not. on 16:02 - Oct 17 with 8651 viewsfactual_blue

Songs you always thought were happy but really are not. on 13:56 - Oct 17 by BecclesITFC

Might be. I have no sound at work. Will let you know. Can't imagine there are many songs with that subject.

It's dedicated to Owen Coffin, the young lad who was eaten by his shipwrecked comrades when the whaler Essex in 1821. That voyage was the basis of the film Heart Of The Sea.

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

Songs you always thought were happy but really are not. on 16:07 - Oct 17 with 8641 viewsSwansea_Blue

Songs you always thought were happy but really are not. on 13:56 - Oct 17 by BecclesITFC

The guitar intro starts 'wowang, wooow, whoanng...' if that's any help

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Songs you always thought were happy but really are not. on 16:48 - Oct 17 with 8598 viewshoppy

Songs you always thought were happy but really are not. on 16:02 - Oct 17 by factual_blue

It's dedicated to Owen Coffin, the young lad who was eaten by his shipwrecked comrades when the whaler Essex in 1821. That voyage was the basis of the film Heart Of The Sea.

Was the film true to the events at the time, if your memory allows?

Poll: Which Which nickname for ITFC do you prefer? poll do you prefer?
Blog: Graphical Blog: I Feel the Need...

Songs you always thought were happy but really are not. on 16:52 - Oct 17 with 8593 viewsWeWereZombies

Songs you always thought were happy but really are not. on 16:48 - Oct 17 by hoppy

Was the film true to the events at the time, if your memory allows?

And what did young Owen taste like?

Poll: How will we get fourteen points from the last five games ?

Songs you always thought were happy but really are not. on 16:55 - Oct 17 with 8588 viewsSpruceMoose

Happy Birthday.

Not since the explosion on my 5th birthday anyway.

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."
Poll: Selectamod

Songs you always thought were happy but really are not. on 19:11 - Oct 17 with 8500 viewsbritbiker

Songs you always thought were happy but really are not. on 13:29 - Oct 17 by BecclesITFC

Whale oil beef hooked. Slogan filthy Phil of motorhead used to have on his t shirt.

White wedding by Billy idol wasn't about a white wedding. It's about a shotgun wedding
Songs you always thought were happy but really are not. on 19:12 - Oct 17 with 8497 viewsCrock

Songs you always thought were happy but really are not. on 13:41 - Oct 17 by Guthrum

Great song by a great band. The live version from 'Twin Peaks' is brilliant.

Poll: Favourite number?

Songs you always thought were happy but really are not. on 19:43 - Oct 17 with 8449 viewsGuthrum

Songs you always thought were happy but really are not. on 19:12 - Oct 17 by Crock

Great song by a great band. The live version from 'Twin Peaks' is brilliant.

Saw them live once, in a small venue near Dudley. Outstanding gig.

Songs you always thought were happy but really are not. on 21:22 - Oct 17 with 8390 viewsRadlett_blue

David Cameron rather misinterpreted "Eton Rifles" by the Jam.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

Songs you always thought were happy but really are not. on 01:55 - Oct 18 with 8218 viewsCurrie10

Turning Japanese. Song about masturbation. That said, that's a happy ending....
Songs you always thought were happy but really are not. on 04:32 - Oct 18 with 8179 viewsTLA

Songs you always thought were happy but really are not. on 21:22 - Oct 17 by Radlett_blue

David Cameron rather misinterpreted "Eton Rifles" by the Jam.

'It wasn’t intended as a fvcking jolly drinking song for the cadet corp.'

However, in the song, Cameron's lot win. What chance have you got against a tie and a crest? Although the song is fictional, inequality grows, kidney machines are replaced by rockets and guns and the public wants what the public gets (OK, slipped into a different song there!).
Songs you always thought were happy but really are not. on 05:21 - Oct 18 with 8158 viewsBenters

Alone again .

Gentlybentley
Poll: Simple poll plane banner over Norwich

Songs you always thought were happy but really are not. on 07:07 - Oct 18 with 8116 viewsWeWereZombies

Songs you always thought were happy but really are not. on 05:21 - Oct 18 by Benters

Alone again .

Or

Songs you always thought were happy but really are not. on 07:12 - Oct 18 with 8112 viewsWeWereZombies

Songs you always thought were happy but really are not. on 01:55 - Oct 18 by Currie10

Turning Japanese. Song about masturbation. That said, that's a happy ending....

I've never thought about that song in those terms but now you mention is there is whole different slant (yes, that was my original word before I realised it made me sound like Prince Phillip) on it. Here's Kirsten Dunst to confuse things further:

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024