Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Yet more nonsense from our glorious teaching profession!! 16:37 - Oct 17 with 33123 viewsBergholtBru

http://www.newhamrecorder.co.uk/news/education/forest-gate-primary-school-apolog

Offended you I have. A sh@t I do not give.
Poll: EU Referendum. What are your voting intentions at present?

Yet more nonsense from our glorious teaching profession!! on 19:55 - Oct 17 with 7104 viewsBlueBadger

Yet more nonsense from our glorious teaching profession!! on 18:24 - Oct 17 by BergholtBru

Only the sport pages.

More pictures on them, eh?

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Yet more nonsense from our glorious teaching profession!! on 19:56 - Oct 17 with 7106 viewsBlueBadger

Yet more nonsense from our glorious teaching profession!! on 17:47 - Oct 17 by Benters

Sadly the days of teaching children to have pride in one's country has gone Brother.

One of my favourites is the immigrant community of Cable Street coming together to knock seven shades of sh1t out of the blackshirts.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.

Yet more nonsense from our glorious teaching profession!! on 19:57 - Oct 17 with 7104 viewsWeWereZombies

Yet more nonsense from our glorious teaching profession!! on 18:06 - Oct 17 by Benters

You cant change history .

Its the mark of a Corbyn supporter hating one's country,sadly this forum is rife with them.

What actually happened and what is written down are often very different things. As is said, History is written by the winners...and then re-written by those who beat the winners, oh, I feel a sneeze coming..ahhh PUTIN... bit clearer now?

Poll: Luton or Dubai ?

Yet more nonsense from our glorious teaching profession!! on 19:59 - Oct 17 with 7102 viewsBlueBadger

Yet more nonsense from our glorious teaching profession!! on 18:48 - Oct 17 by BergholtBru

No I don`t see what you mean!

Too many big words, I guess?

Yet more nonsense from our glorious teaching profession!! on 20:06 - Oct 17 with 7084 viewsMelford

Yet more nonsense from our glorious teaching profession!! on 19:56 - Oct 17 by BlueBadger

One of my favourites is the immigrant community of Cable Street coming together to knock seven shades of sh1t out of the blackshirts.

The Blackshirts, AKA the British Union of Facists. I wonder what the Daily Mail had to say about them at the time...

Dragging TWTD into the gutter since 2009
Poll: What do you call this site?

Yet more nonsense from our glorious teaching profession!! on 20:13 - Oct 17 with 7063 viewssolemio

Yet more nonsense from our glorious teaching profession!! on 19:01 - Oct 17 by SpruceMoose

Unless the lyrics have been changed to "God Damn Our Gracious Queen..." I doubt it'll change my mind!

He conducted the music only of the anthem by a full symphony orchestra. No words. Whether you were for or against the institution of the monarchy is irrelevant to my comment.

In that case it was not an uninspiring dirge - far from it.
Yet more nonsense from our glorious teaching profession!! on 20:15 - Oct 17 with 7060 viewsWeWereZombies

Yet more nonsense from our glorious teaching profession!! on 18:58 - Oct 17 by solemio

I was taught about the clearances in the very early 1960s.

A bitter period and a story that is still developing, can you say a bit more about what you were taught with regards to the causes, the effects and the main protagonists?

I was not taught anything about the clearances, but then I stopped History with my choices at thirteen and concentrated on sciences. Still filling in the gaps and finding out more all the time.

Yet more nonsense from our glorious teaching profession!! on 20:16 - Oct 17 with 7058 viewsSpruceMoose

Yet more nonsense from our glorious teaching profession!! on 20:13 - Oct 17 by solemio

He conducted the music only of the anthem by a full symphony orchestra. No words. Whether you were for or against the institution of the monarchy is irrelevant to my comment.

In that case it was not an uninspiring dirge - far from it.

I mean, it's no Uptown Funk is it?

Full orchestra or not, it's a dull and monotonous melody. No wonder the England team play so badly after having to listen to it, especially as it is bellowed out by some third rate orchestra singer and 70,000 people who always seem half a beat ahead of the music.

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."
Poll: Selectamod

Login to get fewer ads

Yet more nonsense from our glorious teaching profession!! on 20:25 - Oct 17 with 7040 viewssolemio

Yet more nonsense from our glorious teaching profession!! on 20:15 - Oct 17 by WeWereZombies

A bitter period and a story that is still developing, can you say a bit more about what you were taught with regards to the causes, the effects and the main protagonists?

I was not taught anything about the clearances, but then I stopped History with my choices at thirteen and concentrated on sciences. Still filling in the gaps and finding out more all the time.

We were taught the facts of the Clearances such as the enclosure of common lands, aristocrats (mainly) denying ordinary folk the right to graze their animals as they had done for centuries, changes in agriculture that led to this situation.

The emphasis was on the unfairness of all this on the majority of folk. This was at a school which some folk at the time would have said was likely to take the side of the Uppercrust! Perhaps I was just lucky with my history teachers.
Yet more nonsense from our glorious teaching profession!! on 20:28 - Oct 17 with 7034 viewsDarth_Koont

Yet more nonsense from our glorious teaching profession!! on 20:06 - Oct 17 by Melford

The Blackshirts, AKA the British Union of Facists. I wonder what the Daily Mail had to say about them at the time...

Just 50,000 British citizens concerned about their country and united against extremism.

Not sure what the problem was.

Pronouns: He/Him

Yet more nonsense from our glorious teaching profession!! on 20:29 - Oct 17 with 7034 viewsMelford

Look at our Island on a World Map, our Isles are a piffling footnote in terms of country size. Our country got very rich because we got clever before a lot of other countries did and built a load of boats and had weapons these natives had never seen before, killed a whole load of them and took over their countries, selling their people for slave labour and filling their boots with any natural resource they could find and sell. We're a tiny blob painted pink on the map but in 1913 23% of the World's population and in 1920 we controlled 24% of the world land mass. In population and land, we controlled nearly a quarter of the world.
We didn't get that big as a nation/empire without killing and exploiting hundreds and thousands of people. We turned up in Africa and India and just took over. 70 years ago the Queen was the Empress of India. These events have to be part of history too.

Dragging TWTD into the gutter since 2009
Poll: What do you call this site?

Yet more nonsense from our glorious teaching profession!! on 20:32 - Oct 17 with 7024 viewssolemio

Yet more nonsense from our glorious teaching profession!! on 20:16 - Oct 17 by SpruceMoose

I mean, it's no Uptown Funk is it?

Full orchestra or not, it's a dull and monotonous melody. No wonder the England team play so badly after having to listen to it, especially as it is bellowed out by some third rate orchestra singer and 70,000 people who always seem half a beat ahead of the music.

I agree totally that the anthem as performed at football matches and similar events by singers who can't sing is uninspiring in the extreme.

I was merely saying that in the case I mentioned it was hair standing up on the back of the neck time. I trust I make myself abundantly clear.

Who or what is Uptown Funk? And who are the Beatles (as asked by a High Court Judge in the 1960s)?
Yet more nonsense from our glorious teaching profession!! on 20:41 - Oct 17 with 7006 viewsSpruceMoose

Yet more nonsense from our glorious teaching profession!! on 20:32 - Oct 17 by solemio

I agree totally that the anthem as performed at football matches and similar events by singers who can't sing is uninspiring in the extreme.

I was merely saying that in the case I mentioned it was hair standing up on the back of the neck time. I trust I make myself abundantly clear.

Who or what is Uptown Funk? And who are the Beatles (as asked by a High Court Judge in the 1960s)?

Ok, you have me interested now I admit, Is there a link anywhere to good version?

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."

Yet more nonsense from our glorious teaching profession!! on 20:46 - Oct 17 with 6997 viewsWeWereZombies

Yet more nonsense from our glorious teaching profession!! on 20:25 - Oct 17 by solemio

We were taught the facts of the Clearances such as the enclosure of common lands, aristocrats (mainly) denying ordinary folk the right to graze their animals as they had done for centuries, changes in agriculture that led to this situation.

The emphasis was on the unfairness of all this on the majority of folk. This was at a school which some folk at the time would have said was likely to take the side of the Uppercrust! Perhaps I was just lucky with my history teachers.

Yeah, terrible stuff but I would say that was an English problem and the 'Tragedy of the Commons' - see Inclosure Act of 1773 (I had no idea this happened so close to the start of case law closing down the slave trade until I looked it up just now).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inclosure_Act_1773

The situation was more bitter still in Scotland resulting in the Highland Clearances. I used to have the impression that this was the action of Redcoats going in and bayoneting rebellious Scots. Although that happened the Clearances were the result of mainly Scottish landowners clearing occupants out of their homes, often with less than a weeks notice, and marching them to the nearest port for transportation. This enabled the land to be freed up for sheep grazing as the peaceable former occupants were generally content to just grow enough potatoes and keep cows to feed their family. The kelp industry had provided a profitable industry in the early decades of the Nineteenth century but when the price collapsed the wealthy wanted a profitable replacement - so sheep took precedence over people.
[Post edited 17 Oct 2017 20:48]

Yet more nonsense from our glorious teaching profession!! on 20:51 - Oct 17 with 6978 viewsSpruceMoose

Yet more nonsense from our glorious teaching profession!! on 20:46 - Oct 17 by WeWereZombies

Yeah, terrible stuff but I would say that was an English problem and the 'Tragedy of the Commons' - see Inclosure Act of 1773 (I had no idea this happened so close to the start of case law closing down the slave trade until I looked it up just now).

The situation was more bitter still in Scotland resulting in the Highland Clearances. I used to have the impression that this was the action of Redcoats going in and bayoneting rebellious Scots. Although that happened the Clearances were the result of mainly Scottish landowners clearing occupants out of their homes, often with less than a weeks notice, and marching them to the nearest port for transportation. This enabled the land to be freed up for sheep grazing as the peaceable former occupants were generally content to just grow enough potatoes and keep cows to feed their family. The kelp industry had provided a profitable industry in the early decades of the Nineteenth century but when the price collapsed the wealthy wanted a profitable replacement - so sheep took precedence over people.

I don't know what you think you're doing, bringing genuinely interesting facts and discussion to a thread such as this.

Yet more nonsense from our glorious teaching profession!! on 20:52 - Oct 17 with 6973 viewssolemio

Yet more nonsense from our glorious teaching profession!! on 20:46 - Oct 17 by WeWereZombies

Indeed. Yes, the Highland Clearances were possibly the worst example of all this. Truly appalling.
Yet more nonsense from our glorious teaching profession!! on 22:01 - Oct 17 with 6929 viewsvapour_trail

Yet more nonsense from our glorious teaching profession!! on 17:47 - Oct 17 by Benters

Sadly the days of teaching children to have pride in one's country has gone Brother.

If only we all had your education.

Trailing vapour since 1999.
Poll: Should Gav and Phil limiti the number of polls?

Yet more nonsense from our glorious teaching profession!! on 22:19 - Oct 17 with 6903 viewssolemio

Yet more nonsense from our glorious teaching profession!! on 20:41 - Oct 17 by SpruceMoose

Ok, you have me interested now I admit, Is there a link anywhere to good version?

I've youtubed 'British National Anthem conducted by Barbirolli' to no avail.
Umpteen other versions, 2 or 3 of which I quite liked, but none of them like the version I heard at the Albert Hall when I was about 13 conducted by Barbirolli.
Yet more nonsense from our glorious teaching profession!! on 06:03 - Oct 18 with 6839 viewsBenters

Yet more nonsense from our glorious teaching profession!! on 18:15 - Oct 17 by BergholtBru

The British Empire served one thing, The British Empire. However I`ve no doubt that the World learned things from the British Empire and The British Empire learned things from the World.
Incidentally, you implied earlier that a ban was in order, am I right. Please advise what I said that was banable and also what enjoyment you would get from a forum where everyone shared your point of view, which is, is it not, what you wish for?

Funny old lot mate.

Gentlybentley
Poll: Simple poll plane banner over Norwich

Yet more nonsense from our glorious teaching profession!! on 06:06 - Oct 18 with 6839 viewsBenters

Yet more nonsense from our glorious teaching profession!! on 18:50 - Oct 17 by Harry_Palmer

Ah yes, the wonderful British empire. Oh how we invaded, murdered, raped and pillaged the world into civilisation. We should be so proud of this fine history of ours.

Cant change history though can you ?

I for one am proud of the British Empire.

God Save the Queen.

Gentlybentley

Yet more nonsense from our glorious teaching profession!! on 07:02 - Oct 18 with 6814 viewsBrixtonBlue

Yet more nonsense from our glorious teaching profession!! on 06:06 - Oct 18 by Benters

Cant change history though can you ?

I for one am proud of the British Empire.

God Save the Queen.

You're proud of murder, rape and pillage?

I bet Bloots will downarrow this.
Poll: If you work in an office, when are you off over Christmas (not booked holiday)?

Yet more nonsense from our glorious teaching profession!! on 07:04 - Oct 18 with 6812 viewsWeWereZombies

Yet more nonsense from our glorious teaching profession!! on 07:02 - Oct 18 by BrixtonBlue

That's not the sum total of what happened during the days of Empire but I do wish Benters would take a bit more notice of all the hard times of Old England.

Yet more nonsense from our glorious teaching profession!! on 07:26 - Oct 18 with 6797 viewsDanTheMan

Yet more nonsense from our glorious teaching profession!! on 07:04 - Oct 18 by WeWereZombies

That's not the sum total of what happened during the days of Empire but I do wish Benters would take a bit more notice of all the hard times of Old England.

I really don't understand how one can be proud of imperialism or colonialism.

Poll: FM Parallel Game Week 1 (Fulham) - Available Team

Yet more nonsense from our glorious teaching profession!! on 07:33 - Oct 18 with 6789 viewsjeera

Yet more nonsense from our glorious teaching profession!! on 07:26 - Oct 18 by DanTheMan

I really don't understand how one can be proud of imperialism or colonialism.

Some people grew up on films which were little more than propaganda Dan. And they never quite snap out of the screen fantasies.

If only they'd read a book every now and then they might learn something.

Of course some good came from the colonies, but those things were mere by products of greed.

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

Yet more nonsense from our glorious teaching profession!! on 07:56 - Oct 18 with 6768 viewsBenters

Yet more nonsense from our glorious teaching profession!! on 07:02 - Oct 18 by BrixtonBlue

I bet you are one of those who wants Nelsons Column torn down?

Next thing you will tell me is you pay £7.50 for a coffee?

Gentlybentley

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024