Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Universal Credit stories 09:01 - Oct 18 with 4229 viewsgordon

Sounds shameful, almost like some sort of Stalinist purge (in relative terms, I've just been reading about the Holodomor in a Vassily Grossman) with the DWP denying all knowledge of the suffering being caused.

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2017/oct/17/we-went-days-without-eating-prop
Universal Credit stories on 09:05 - Oct 18 with 4219 viewsfactual_blue

It is. I told one of our esteemed tory posters more than five years ago it would be an utter disaster. In many ways it's even worse.

The money it's costing you, by the way, is eye-wateringly obscene.

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

Universal Credit stories on 09:08 - Oct 18 with 4214 viewsSteve_M

Comparing it to Stalin is inappropriate and will divert a load of people to complaining about that rather than the travesty of Universal Credit.

The incredible thing about UC though is that there were pilot schemes which demonstrated the exact problems that are now being seen nationally - delays in payment, hopeless bureaucracy, the inadequacy of the IT system. Instead of learning from the pilot schemes the government have ploughed on regardless, showing once again IDS is unfit to be making decisions about people's lives.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Universal Credit stories on 09:11 - Oct 18 with 4197 viewsStokieBlue

That's a very distasteful comparison.

On UC specifically I do agree the whole situation seems to have been handled poorly. I should do some more reading around it when time allows.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

Universal Credit stories on 09:12 - Oct 18 with 4200 viewshype313

Universal Credit stories on 09:08 - Oct 18 by Steve_M

Comparing it to Stalin is inappropriate and will divert a load of people to complaining about that rather than the travesty of Universal Credit.

The incredible thing about UC though is that there were pilot schemes which demonstrated the exact problems that are now being seen nationally - delays in payment, hopeless bureaucracy, the inadequacy of the IT system. Instead of learning from the pilot schemes the government have ploughed on regardless, showing once again IDS is unfit to be making decisions about people's lives.

IDS is unfit to make a decision about going to the pub, let alone national social security.

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

Universal Credit stories on 09:51 - Oct 18 with 4158 viewsGuthrum

UC was a not unreasonable concept which was trashed by interdepartmental shenanegans, politicking, ideology, poor drafting, inept planning, lack of funding and dreadfully bad execution.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Universal Credit stories on 09:57 - Oct 18 with 4153 viewsGuthrum

To be fair to IDS, I have it on tolerably good authority that he resigned precisely because other people's interference was fast making UC unworkable. I don't get the impression he ever intended it to be so harsh or cause problems to recipients.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Universal Credit stories on 10:37 - Oct 18 with 4087 viewsArcher4721

Universal Credit stories on 09:05 - Oct 18 by factual_blue

It is. I told one of our esteemed tory posters more than five years ago it would be an utter disaster. In many ways it's even worse.

The money it's costing you, by the way, is eye-wateringly obscene.

The telephone help line for claimants charge 55 pence a minute!

It's a really disgusting situation and does seem like a purge on poor people tbh.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/universal-credit-helpline-call-cha
[Post edited 18 Oct 2017 10:41]
Universal Credit stories on 10:47 - Oct 18 with 4072 viewsbrazil1982

They've even got a sad dog picture in there!
Login to get fewer ads

Universal Credit stories on 10:56 - Oct 18 with 4041 viewsArcher4721

Universal Credit stories on 09:11 - Oct 18 by StokieBlue

That's a very distasteful comparison.

On UC specifically I do agree the whole situation seems to have been handled poorly. I should do some more reading around it when time allows.

SB

It's another great victory for Jeremy Corbyn who has pressurised the government over this in recent days..
Universal Credit stories on 12:16 - Oct 18 with 3984 viewsfactual_blue

Universal Credit stories on 09:57 - Oct 18 by Guthrum

To be fair to IDS, I have it on tolerably good authority that he resigned precisely because other people's interference was fast making UC unworkable. I don't get the impression he ever intended it to be so harsh or cause problems to recipients.

HMT has wanted to stop UC since before it started.

Universal Credit stories on 13:22 - Oct 18 with 3909 viewsfactual_blue

IDS is the nub of the problem. You've identified the issues that came up. He refused to be told and those who were willing to 'speak truth to power' were 'purged', to use the Stalinist metaphor.

IDS was, by the end of his tenure at DWP, the only person left there believing it would work. To mix dictators, he was like Hitler in the bunker, believing Army Group Steiner was coming to the rescue.

Universal Credit stories on 15:08 - Oct 18 with 3858 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Universal Credit stories on 10:56 - Oct 18 by Archer4721

It's another great victory for Jeremy Corbyn who has pressurised the government over this in recent days..

Another victory?

Mustve missed his last one.

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

Universal Credit stories on 15:25 - Oct 18 with 3837 viewsArcher4721

Universal Credit stories on 15:08 - Oct 18 by Marshalls_Mullet

Another victory?

Well let me enlighten you then

http://www.independent.co.uk/voices/energy-markets-cap-corbyn-venezuela-theresa-
Universal Credit stories on 16:44 - Oct 18 with 3806 viewsNo9

Universal Credit stories on 15:08 - Oct 18 by Marshalls_Mullet

Another victory?

Just about everyone is rubbing Mrs May's nose in it aren't they?
Universal Credit stories on 16:59 - Oct 18 with 3797 viewsjeera

Universal Credit stories on 10:37 - Oct 18 by Archer4721

It's a really disgusting situation and does seem like a purge on poor people tbh.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/universal-credit-helpline-call-cha

Now scrapping that aren't they?

Been a lot of pressure over it, and rightly so of course.

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

Universal Credit stories on 17:23 - Oct 18 with 3781 viewsjaykay

Universal Credit stories on 09:51 - Oct 18 by Guthrum

UC was a not unreasonable concept which was trashed by interdepartmental shenanegans, politicking, ideology, poor drafting, inept planning, lack of funding and dreadfully bad execution.

echos of todays goverment

forensic experts say footers and spruces fingerprints were not found at the scene after the weekends rows

Universal Credit stories on 18:53 - Oct 18 with 3740 viewsFrowsyArmLarry

Universal Credit stories on 10:37 - Oct 18 by Archer4721

It’s actually charged at local rate, unfortunately a lot of mobile plans don’t include 0845 numbers in their free minutes and charge anything up to 50p a minute to access them.... hence the 55p figure.

Good job they’ve changed that now but it was something that should have been avoided from the start
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024