Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Soros wasn't the most popular with some of our previous posters 13:28 - Oct 18 with 15123 viewsStokieBlue

But not sure how even paz could find something to moan about at this:

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2017/oct/18/george-soros-gives-18-billion-d

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

Soros wasn't the most popular with some of our previous posters on 13:59 - Oct 18 with 7029 viewsBergholtBru

Quite, many of the world`s rich do donate massive sums to charity.

Offended you I have. A sh@t I do not give.
Poll: EU Referendum. What are your voting intentions at present?

Soros wasn't the most popular with some of our previous posters on 14:13 - Oct 18 with 7004 viewsWeWereZombies

Soros wasn't the most popular with some of our previous posters on 13:59 - Oct 18 by BergholtBru

Quite, many of the world`s rich do donate massive sums to charity.

Although, if you read the article, he is having some difficulty with the right wing ruling party in Hungary because of his stance on migration.

But true, a massive sum. Almost enough to cover the benefits bill of a very small nation for a year.

Poll: How will we get fourteen points from the last five games ?

Soros wasn't the most popular with some of our previous posters on 14:17 - Oct 18 with 6991 viewsStokieBlue

Soros wasn't the most popular with some of our previous posters on 14:13 - Oct 18 by WeWereZombies

Although, if you read the article, he is having some difficulty with the right wing ruling party in Hungary because of his stance on migration.

But true, a massive sum. Almost enough to cover the benefits bill of a very small nation for a year.

That's a good thing surely? The fact that he is arguing with his compatriots about being right-wing and stopping immigration goes in his favour.

SB

Soros wasn't the most popular with some of our previous posters on 14:22 - Oct 18 with 6978 viewsWeWereZombies

Soros wasn't the most popular with some of our previous posters on 14:17 - Oct 18 by StokieBlue

That's a good thing surely? The fact that he is arguing with his compatriots about being right-wing and stopping immigration goes in his favour.

SB

It is a good thing that he is establishing institutes with universal principles. Very honourable. I could be reading too much into BergholtBru's posts on other threads, or perhaps that spat about teachers has changed him?

Soros wasn't the most popular with some of our previous posters on 14:57 - Oct 18 with 6944 viewscaught-in-limbo

Go on then, I'll bite.

Some describe George Soros as a financial terrorist, others as a Robin Hood figure. I don't think he has a genuinely charitable bone in his body - if there's nothing in it for him, he doesn't give.

He bet against the pound in 1992 which contributed to the collapse of the Bank of England. I'm not saying his actions were illegal, but they were definitely unethical in my opinion. Some people will say that it was good for the country that we were out of the ERM, but he cost the country billions and he made a billion in the process for himself.

"build vibrant and tolerant democracies"

He breaks countries up by fomenting discord along ethnic, religious or cultural lines in countries, stable or otherwise. He gives big donations to support "democracy" in these areas even if his actions promote a cause which is illegal or unconstitutional in those countries. Although his donations to date have been small, he has also contributed to Catalan independence. I would be surprised if he doesn't make further donations to try to break up Spain.

There are many people all over the world who justifiably have every reason to moan about George Soros' generosity.

#HereWeGoAgain
[Post edited 18 Oct 2017 14:58]

#toxic
Poll: BREXIT - Hard, soft, phantom ...

Soros wasn't the most popular with some of our previous posters on 15:00 - Oct 18 with 6934 viewsJ2BLUE

Soros wasn't the most popular with some of our previous posters on 14:17 - Oct 18 by StokieBlue

SB

He's an illuminati henchman. Then again, so is anyone with any power/fame whatsoever...

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Soros wasn't the most popular with some of our previous posters on 15:01 - Oct 18 with 6930 viewsWeWereZombies

Soros wasn't the most popular with some of our previous posters on 14:57 - Oct 18 by caught-in-limbo

Go on then, I'll bite.

Some describe George Soros as a financial terrorist, others as a Robin Hood figure. I don't think he has a genuinely charitable bone in his body - if there's nothing in it for him, he doesn't give.

He bet against the pound in 1992 which contributed to the collapse of the Bank of England. I'm not saying his actions were illegal, but they were definitely unethical in my opinion. Some people will say that it was good for the country that we were out of the ERM, but he cost the country billions and he made a billion in the process for himself.

He breaks countries up by fomenting discord along ethnic, religious or cultural lines in countries, stable or otherwise. He gives big donations to support "democracy" in these areas even if his actions promote a cause which is illegal or unconstitutional in those countries. Although his donations to date have been small, he has also contributed to Catalan independence. I would be surprised if he doesn't make further donations to try to break up Spain.

There are many people all over the world who justifiably have every reason to moan about George Soros' generosity.

#HereWeGoAgain

I was impressed that he had got Michael Ignatieff in to head up his university in Budapest.

Soros wasn't the most popular with some of our previous posters on 15:35 - Oct 18 with 6896 viewsStokieBlue

Soros wasn't the most popular with some of our previous posters on 14:57 - Oct 18 by caught-in-limbo

Go on then, I'll bite.

#HereWeGoAgain

Are you saying that nobody can ever trade against a currency? Do you buy EUR/GBP/USD at a rate which is high in the knowledge that you may use them at some point in the future because you are travelling?

He saw that the agreement the UK had entered into with regards to the ERM was completely unworkable and bet against it being a success. Fixed exchange rates between countries with completely different policies (especially as Germany was undergoing reunification) was never going to work. He did force us out of the ERM and made a good profit but it would have happened at some point anyway. The pound was devalued by 15% but it started a huge expansion of the UK economy and overall was better for the country than continuing down the ERM route.

You can certainly argue the ethics but the government of the time put the pound in the position where it could be attacked.

If he wanted to force the breakup of Spain why didn't he give all 18bn to Catalonia? I would be interested to hear what you think is in it for him?

I am sure he's far from perfect but surely it's better he gives away this money to a charity rather than hordes it himself?

Maybe it's because he's a lizard and one day he will pop out of his human suit for us all to see.

SB

Login to get fewer ads

Soros wasn't the most popular with some of our previous posters on 15:47 - Oct 18 with 6876 viewscaught-in-limbo

Soros wasn't the most popular with some of our previous posters on 15:35 - Oct 18 by StokieBlue

Are you saying that nobody can ever trade against a currency? Do you buy EUR/GBP/USD at a rate which is high in the knowledge that you may use them at some point in the future because you are travelling?

He saw that the agreement the UK had entered into with regards to the ERM was completely unworkable and bet against it being a success. Fixed exchange rates between countries with completely different policies (especially as Germany was undergoing reunification) was never going to work. He did force us out of the ERM and made a good profit but it would have happened at some point anyway. The pound was devalued by 15% but it started a huge expansion of the UK economy and overall was better for the country than continuing down the ERM route.

You can certainly argue the ethics but the government of the time put the pound in the position where it could be attacked.

If he wanted to force the breakup of Spain why didn't he give all 18bn to Catalonia? I would be interested to hear what you think is in it for him?

I am sure he's far from perfect but surely it's better he gives away this money to a charity rather than hordes it himself?

Maybe it's because he's a lizard and one day he will pop out of his human suit for us all to see.

SB

I'd rather he kept his money to himself than provoke the break up of countries, communities and families all over the world in the name of "democracy". I don't call that charity.

#toxic

Soros wasn't the most popular with some of our previous posters on 16:04 - Oct 18 with 6849 viewsStokieBlue

Soros wasn't the most popular with some of our previous posters on 15:47 - Oct 18 by caught-in-limbo

I'd rather he kept his money to himself than provoke the break up of countries, communities and families all over the world in the name of "democracy". I don't call that charity.

"fomenting discord along ethnic, religious or cultural lines"

Surely the majority of families are aligned along one of those axis yet you say he is breaking up families? Countries I could accept, families seems like emotive language you've added.

SB

Soros wasn't the most popular with some of our previous posters on 16:21 - Oct 18 with 6822 viewsNo9

The main gripe that I have with this is that it makes governments discard their natural duty of care for their citizens hoping that charities, either organised or as individuals, will do what they should be doing.
Soros wasn't the most popular with some of our previous posters on 16:53 - Oct 18 with 6811 viewscaught-in-limbo

Soros wasn't the most popular with some of our previous posters on 16:04 - Oct 18 by StokieBlue

"fomenting discord along ethnic, religious or cultural lines"

Surely the majority of families are aligned along one of those axis yet you say he is breaking up families? Countries I could accept, families seems like emotive language you've added.

SB

My language isn't emotive. If you've known any Irish, Basques or Catalans in your life, you'll know how independence struggles can break families. In fact you don't need to know anybody from these countries you just need to think a little bit more and overreact less.
[Post edited 18 Oct 2017 17:38]

#toxic

Soros wasn't the most popular with some of our previous posters on 16:54 - Oct 18 with 6805 viewsSpruceMoose

Soros wasn't the most popular with some of our previous posters on 16:21 - Oct 18 by No9

The main gripe that I have with this is that it makes governments discard their natural duty of care for their citizens hoping that charities, either organised or as individuals, will do what they should be doing.

Or... it's picking up the slack when those countries have already discarded their natural duty of care for their citizens?

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."
Poll: Selectamod

Soros wasn't the most popular with some of our previous posters on 16:56 - Oct 18 with 6799 viewsStokieBlue

Soros wasn't the most popular with some of our previous posters on 16:53 - Oct 18 by caught-in-limbo

My language isn't emotive. If you've known any Irish, Basques or Catalans in your life, you'll know how independence struggles can break families. In fact you don't need to know anybody from these countries you just need to think a little bit more and overreact less.
[Post edited 18 Oct 2017 17:38]

You didn't reply to the question of what is in it for him to do as you are claiming.

SB

Soros wasn't the most popular with some of our previous posters on 17:11 - Oct 18 with 6779 viewsNo9

Soros wasn't the most popular with some of our previous posters on 16:54 - Oct 18 by SpruceMoose

Or... it's picking up the slack when those countries have already discarded their natural duty of care for their citizens?

I have seen examples in Africa of cases where people were provided with items that should have been provided by government, came from other sources, the government just sat back & expected the other sources to continue looking after their people.
Soros wasn't the most popular with some of our previous posters on 17:14 - Oct 18 with 6775 viewscaught-in-limbo

Soros wasn't the most popular with some of our previous posters on 16:56 - Oct 18 by StokieBlue

You didn't reply to the question of what is in it for him to do as you are claiming.

SB

That's right, I didn't, because I don't know.

But I'm sure it's really innocent and just down to his generous nature - I mean, I doubt there'd be anything in it for him. He probably went on holiday to Salou once, got chatting to a bloke in a pub about the evil, oppressive regime in Madrid which was ruining his very existence and thought he'd help out.

#toxic

Soros wasn't the most popular with some of our previous posters on 17:17 - Oct 18 with 6771 viewsStokieBlue

Soros wasn't the most popular with some of our previous posters on 17:14 - Oct 18 by caught-in-limbo

That's right, I didn't, because I don't know.

But I'm sure it's really innocent and just down to his generous nature - I mean, I doubt there'd be anything in it for him. He probably went on holiday to Salou once, got chatting to a bloke in a pub about the evil, oppressive regime in Madrid which was ruining his very existence and thought he'd help out.

So you don't have any motive for his actions or any statement from him on why he does things, you've just taken 2 and 2 and got 5.

Pretty much the standard M.O.

SB

Soros wasn't the most popular with some of our previous posters on 17:36 - Oct 18 with 6755 viewscaught-in-limbo

Soros wasn't the most popular with some of our previous posters on 17:17 - Oct 18 by StokieBlue

So you don't have any motive for his actions or any statement from him on why he does things, you've just taken 2 and 2 and got 5.

SB

You pointed out that I hadn't answered your question about why he'd given a small quantity of his money towards Catalan independence and I replied "That's right, I didn't, because I don't know."

Then you accuse me of taking 2 and 2 and getting 5.

If you're going to set little traps for me to fall into, you've got to wait until I fall into them before you can start celebrating.

[Post edited 18 Oct 2017 17:43]

#toxic

Soros wasn't the most popular with some of our previous posters on 18:03 - Oct 18 with 6702 viewsSouthBucksBlue

Soros wasn't the most popular with some of our previous posters on 15:35 - Oct 18 by StokieBlue

SB

It's not really his money to give though is it. A simplified viewpoint is that unless you're selling a product or service which is of higher value to the acquirer than the cost to the producer then when you gain somebody loses. Hedge funds are just financial gambling instruments. When he made a billion from the pound, where did that money come from? Devalued pension funds, higher mortgage interest payments...?
Financial terrorist for me. An in my view unacceptable facet of a 'free market'.
Soros wasn't the most popular with some of our previous posters on 19:14 - Oct 18 with 6653 viewsJ2BLUE

Soros wasn't the most popular with some of our previous posters on 17:36 - Oct 18 by caught-in-limbo

You pointed out that I hadn't answered your question about why he'd given a small quantity of his money towards Catalan independence and I replied "That's right, I didn't, because I don't know."

Then you accuse me of taking 2 and 2 and getting 5.

If you're going to set little traps for me to fall into, you've got to wait until I fall into them before you can start celebrating.

[Post edited 18 Oct 2017 17:43]

You said above: if there's nothing in it for him, he doesn't give.

Now you can't say what's in it for him because you don't know.

I'd say you fell in that one.

Truly impaired.

Soros wasn't the most popular with some of our previous posters on 19:58 - Oct 18 with 6618 viewscaught-in-limbo

Soros wasn't the most popular with some of our previous posters on 19:14 - Oct 18 by J2BLUE

You said above: if there's nothing in it for him, he doesn't give.

Now you can't say what's in it for him because you don't know.

I'd say you fell in that one.

It's my birthday on January 1st.
I know that my daughter won't get me nothing.
But I don't know what she'll get me.
I'm sure she knows what she's got me. How should I know?

I know Soros won't give if there's nothing in it for him.
He has given something, so I believe there's something in it for him - but I don't know what it is.
I'm sure he knows what's in it for him. Why should I know?

I've fallen for nothing.
[Post edited 18 Oct 2017 20:01]

#toxic

Soros wasn't the most popular with some of our previous posters on 20:11 - Oct 18 with 6596 viewsJ2BLUE

Soros wasn't the most popular with some of our previous posters on 19:58 - Oct 18 by caught-in-limbo

He has given something, so I believe there's something in it for him - but I don't know what it is.

I've fallen for nothing.

That's a clever way of saying I have no proof so can't answer.

Truly impaired.

Soros wasn't the most popular with some of our previous posters on 20:16 - Oct 18 with 6588 viewsSpruceMoose

Soros wasn't the most popular with some of our previous posters on 19:58 - Oct 18 by caught-in-limbo

I've fallen for nothing.

Yeah, that doesn't really work.

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."
Poll: Selectamod

Soros wasn't the most popular with some of our previous posters on 20:18 - Oct 18 with 6586 viewscaught-in-limbo

Soros wasn't the most popular with some of our previous posters on 20:11 - Oct 18 by J2BLUE

That's a clever way of saying I have no proof so can't answer.

OK, let's go through it:

Proof of what?

Can't answer what?

#toxic

Soros wasn't the most popular with some of our previous posters on 20:19 - Oct 18 with 6584 viewscaught-in-limbo

Soros wasn't the most popular with some of our previous posters on 20:16 - Oct 18 by SpruceMoose

Yeah, that doesn't really work.

Why not?

#toxic

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024