Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Anyone see the Chris Packham aspergers documentary last night? 13:36 - Oct 18 with 3571 viewsDBaldy

I've mentioned on here before that my son has autism, of which aspergers syndrome is a variant, and so my wife and I made sure we watched the programme as I had no idea that Chris Packham was autistic.

Since our son was diagnosed 3 years ago (he's now 6) we have tried to help him as much as we can by learning as much as possible about autism, techniques to deal with him when he's struggling, but at the same time trying to be consistent and disciplining him appropriately when required, because lets face it a 6 year old boy is going to misbehave whether he's autistic or not.

But most of the stuff that we've seen on TV, either drama type programmes or other documentaries, haven't necessarily been as accurate or as helpful as they maybe intended. Until last night. Hearing Chris talk about his struggles growing up, how he has learned to deal with his condition and the way he needs to live his life to not cause undue stress to himself really struck a chord with my wife and I. So many of the things he said, you could say about our son and it was good to see how he has found ways of managing his emotions in order to appear on TV as frequently as he does.

I know it's a long way off, but I do have concerns over how my son will make the transition into adulthood in the future, so to see how Chris managed to do it, while at the time not actually having been diagnosed (which didn't happen till he was in his 40's), gives me hope that it may not be as hard for my son as I fear.

I know we have a few parents of autistic kids on here so just thought I'd mention this and to see what others thought.

And if you haven't seen it, it's well worth a watch on iPlayer, if anything just to learn more about how an autistic person sees the world.
Anyone see the Chris Packham aspergers documentary last night? on 13:41 - Oct 18 with 3545 viewsjeera

I only caught some of it but it explained a thing or 2 for me as there's been times I thought he has been a bit 'off' with others whilst hosting.

I see now that hasn't been the case.

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

Anyone see the Chris Packham aspergers documentary last night? on 13:44 - Oct 18 with 3529 viewsTonyj

I saw the last half of it. Amazing / inspiring how he's managed to build a successful career out of what's basically communicating with people. Loved the ending with his step daughter - very funny.
Anyone see the Chris Packham aspergers documentary last night? on 14:00 - Oct 18 with 3485 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Anyone see the Chris Packham aspergers documentary last night? on 13:41 - Oct 18 by jeera

I only caught some of it but it explained a thing or 2 for me as there's been times I thought he has been a bit 'off' with others whilst hosting.

I see now that hasn't been the case.

I agree, I've watched him in the past and thought that his behavior has been a little 'off'.

Seems to make a little more sense now, but then again, that might be nothing to do with the autism.

Re the OP. Sorry I cant be of any help, but you have my utmost respect.

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

Anyone see the Chris Packham aspergers documentary last night? on 16:54 - Oct 18 with 3387 viewsRedWhiteAndBLUE

I'm going to watch it tonight on catchup.

My oldest daughter was diagnosed with high functioning autism at age 5 and I constantly used to worry about how she'd cope as an adult. She's now nearly 15 and coping much better, life is still a challenge for her at times but as she gets older she is understanding the condition more and coping better. That's not to say she doesn't have the occasional meltdown, yesterday being an example of that. We support her at times like that and I'm confident she'll be just fine as an adult.
Hope it the same for you too, I realise we could have it so much worse. 😊
Anyone see the Chris Packham aspergers documentary last night? on 01:28 - Oct 19 with 3253 viewsRyorry

Haven't seen the prog, but did read about it in the Radio Times, which amongst other things pointed out that one of the difficulties those with AS have, is difficulty in empathising with other people. Of course it's impossible to know how every individual may be affected if you don't personally know them, but it did lead me to wonder about who on here might be affected.
[Post edited 19 Oct 2017 1:28]

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

Anyone see the Chris Packham aspergers documentary last night? on 01:50 - Oct 19 with 3241 viewsSwansea_Blue

Didn't see it and can't get iPlayer overseas unfortunately, but great thread.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Anyone see the Chris Packham aspergers documentary last night? on 06:02 - Oct 19 with 3210 viewsIpswichIrish

Never seen it, got rid of tv after the BBC's anti Corbyn propaganda
I've got aspergers myself, diagnosed at 8 years of age, now nearly 28 so glad Packham brought it to the public attention what it's like dealing with the condition
Anyone see the Chris Packham aspergers documentary last night? on 06:59 - Oct 19 with 3188 viewsRedWhiteAndBLUE

Anyone see the Chris Packham aspergers documentary last night? on 16:54 - Oct 18 by RedWhiteAndBLUE

I'm going to watch it tonight on catchup.

My oldest daughter was diagnosed with high functioning autism at age 5 and I constantly used to worry about how she'd cope as an adult. She's now nearly 15 and coping much better, life is still a challenge for her at times but as she gets older she is understanding the condition more and coping better. That's not to say she doesn't have the occasional meltdown, yesterday being an example of that. We support her at times like that and I'm confident she'll be just fine as an adult.
Hope it the same for you too, I realise we could have it so much worse. 😊

Edit - I've now watched the programme and really enjoyed it.
I totally agree with the point that in the case of Aspergers/ high functioning autism the condition is what defines the person and we should learn to accept their quirks rather than try and change them.
It's important to remember what a huge spectrum it is though - from genius at one end to being potentially in a vegetative state at the other.
I'd recommend everybody to watch the programme, it's really interesting and food for thought.
Login to get fewer ads

Anyone see the Chris Packham aspergers documentary last night? on 09:12 - Oct 19 with 3135 viewsitfcpaul

Hi

Lovely post. As you may or not be aware by reading my recent previous threads about mental health my gorgeous wife has been recently diagnosed with a mental health issue which causes us no end of issues Starting from a complete mental breakdown 2 years ago to being diagnosed with severe depression and most recently NEAD and FND. All very scary in how she interprets everyday things conversations feelings and emotions which can result in flare ups of anger frustration and seizures as well as physical effects which cause her to not be able to walk or communicate at all.

Now the purpose of this post is that one of the triggers to her is the difficulty she has dealing with and understand my daughter who is 11. My wife has only known her for 3 years and 2 and a half of those my wife has been extremely ill.

My daughter is and has been a challenge all her life and we eventually god her diagnosed with Aspergers. High functioning but childish at the same time with not a great understanding of life challenges and signals which frequently sets her off into bouts of frustration and anger of not understanding the simplest of things. For example you can not ask her to do 2 things together as she can not comprehend doing that. sounds msy be pathetic but it's scary as well.

putting these two beautiful people together is God's way of challenging me but I'm up for it although it's extremely hard.

To make matters worse my ex wife does not agree with the diagnosis so trying to give a child some constant help in her life is impossible because her mum would just confuse her with her short sighted views as she doesn't want her labelling or saying it's fine she's not going to be a rocket scientist!! Well I don't want her labelling but if she needs support in her life and through school then it's only fair she gets it. Plus she could be a ticket scientist you just never know.

Aspergers is a challenge and I am hoping that the high functioning aspect will help her cope with it as she grows up. So just support wherever you can and in whatever way you can.

Thank you raising Aspergers

What channel was the programme on so i can have a look on catch up

Poll: Who would you want as Ipswich manager in November. there aren't many candidates

Anyone see the Chris Packham aspergers documentary last night? on 09:24 - Oct 19 with 3117 viewssoupytwist

Anyone see the Chris Packham aspergers documentary last night? on 09:12 - Oct 19 by itfcpaul

Hi

Lovely post. As you may or not be aware by reading my recent previous threads about mental health my gorgeous wife has been recently diagnosed with a mental health issue which causes us no end of issues Starting from a complete mental breakdown 2 years ago to being diagnosed with severe depression and most recently NEAD and FND. All very scary in how she interprets everyday things conversations feelings and emotions which can result in flare ups of anger frustration and seizures as well as physical effects which cause her to not be able to walk or communicate at all.

Now the purpose of this post is that one of the triggers to her is the difficulty she has dealing with and understand my daughter who is 11. My wife has only known her for 3 years and 2 and a half of those my wife has been extremely ill.

My daughter is and has been a challenge all her life and we eventually god her diagnosed with Aspergers. High functioning but childish at the same time with not a great understanding of life challenges and signals which frequently sets her off into bouts of frustration and anger of not understanding the simplest of things. For example you can not ask her to do 2 things together as she can not comprehend doing that. sounds msy be pathetic but it's scary as well.

putting these two beautiful people together is God's way of challenging me but I'm up for it although it's extremely hard.

To make matters worse my ex wife does not agree with the diagnosis so trying to give a child some constant help in her life is impossible because her mum would just confuse her with her short sighted views as she doesn't want her labelling or saying it's fine she's not going to be a rocket scientist!! Well I don't want her labelling but if she needs support in her life and through school then it's only fair she gets it. Plus she could be a ticket scientist you just never know.

Aspergers is a challenge and I am hoping that the high functioning aspect will help her cope with it as she grows up. So just support wherever you can and in whatever way you can.

Thank you raising Aspergers

What channel was the programme on so i can have a look on catch up

It was on BBC2, and like others I can highly recommend it.

As you've mentioned your daughter's future, at one point Packham goes to Microsoft (I think) in California and hears about how they try to accommodate workers and potential workers with Aspergers and other conditions since they recognise the contribution they can make.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024