Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Good old 'Auntie'... 22:04 - Oct 18 with 7251 viewsuefacup81

So the Government loses a vote 299-0 this evening. Any mention of it on the front page?

Poll: Predictions for tonight?

Good old 'Auntie'... on 22:08 - Oct 18 with 6108 viewsStNeotsBlue

Apart from this one of course.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-41659504
Good old 'Auntie'... on 22:15 - Oct 18 with 6070 viewsClapham_Junction

Good old 'Auntie'... on 22:08 - Oct 18 by StNeotsBlue

To be fair, there is indeed no mention of the vote on the front page. All it says is "Universal credit helpline charges scrapped... But the prime minister rejects Jeremy Corbyn's calls to pause the new benefit's roll-out."
Good old 'Auntie'... on 22:44 - Oct 18 with 6012 viewsuefacup81

Good old 'Auntie'... on 22:08 - Oct 18 by StNeotsBlue

As Clapham says - no mention of it on the front page. Merely a headline about the 'good thing' the Government has done. Arguably, losing a vote by that magnitude (abstention or not) is the more newsworthy event today at Westminster.

Good old 'Auntie'... on 22:46 - Oct 18 with 6007 viewsFreddies_Ears

Of course not, because it was only an advisory vote, not a binding one.

And this government would never act on the outcome of an advisory vote, would they?
Good old 'Auntie'... on 23:37 - Oct 18 with 5935 viewsBlueBadger

Actual screenshot from the BBC website front page, circa about five minutes ago.

and the linked story

It's straining a little here, if you're trying to push the whole Biased BBC thing here innit?
[Post edited 18 Oct 2017 23:40]

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Good old 'Auntie'... on 23:43 - Oct 18 with 5916 viewsStNeotsBlue

Good old 'Auntie'... on 23:37 - Oct 18 by BlueBadger

Actual screenshot from the BBC website front page, circa about five minutes ago.

and the linked story

It's straining a little here, if you're trying to push the whole Biased BBC thing here innit?
[Post edited 18 Oct 2017 23:40]

Still not getting the point being made, Radio 5 led with it in their news reports. Are the BBC now being accused of right wing bias.
Good old 'Auntie'... on 23:50 - Oct 18 with 5901 viewsBlueBadger

Good old 'Auntie'... on 23:43 - Oct 18 by StNeotsBlue

Still not getting the point being made, Radio 5 led with it in their news reports. Are the BBC now being accused of right wing bias.

Essentially, as far as I can see it, the only way you can be unbiased is if you are offering utterly uncritical coverage of the Dear Leader and/or Brexit.
There's as many right-wing thickos out there complaining about the Beeb 'talking the country down' with their shameless reporting of facts as there are left-wing thickos whining about 'the Tory run BBC establishment' because their shameless reporting of facts.
[Post edited 18 Oct 2017 23:51]

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.

Good old 'Auntie'... on 01:15 - Oct 19 with 5842 viewsRyorry

You posted that at 22.04

What time did the vote happen, and what time was the result first announced in the Commons?

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

Login to get fewer ads

Good old 'Auntie'... on 07:15 - Oct 19 with 5753 viewsIpswichIrish

Good old 'Auntie'... on 01:15 - Oct 19 by Ryorry

You posted that at 22.04

What time did the vote happen, and what time was the result first announced in the Commons?

Anyone who thinks 'auntie' is impartial only needs to look at their obsessive anti Corbyn agenda lead by Laura Kuennesberg and their constant pandering to royal propaganda or chasing the unelected Farage with a platform and camera. It is an absolute disgrace
Good old 'Auntie'... on 07:19 - Oct 19 with 5749 viewsStokieBlue

They were ordered to abstain - this is basically their new policy and it's annoying the speaker.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

Good old 'Auntie'... on 07:22 - Oct 19 with 5735 viewsIpswichIrish

Good old 'Auntie'... on 07:19 - Oct 19 by StokieBlue

They were ordered to abstain - this is basically their new policy and it's annoying the speaker.

SB

Can see it being an absolute disaster, people who have nout making a new claim having to wait up to 10 weeks for any money, I live in the real world can't imagine having to go through that. The man who architected it Iain Duncan Smith is an absolute scumbag too so ..
Good old 'Auntie'... on 07:39 - Oct 19 with 5708 viewsuefacup81

Good old 'Auntie'... on 01:15 - Oct 19 by Ryorry

You posted that at 22.04

About 19:20. So a good three hours or so before I mentioned it.

Good old 'Auntie'... on 07:52 - Oct 19 with 5681 viewsWD19

In political terms this is right up their with Norwich 'taking' their designated pub.

It might well be that the government tactically abstained because they knew they were fighting a losing battle, but that is surely a good thing/what parliament is all about (?)
Good old 'Auntie'... on 08:08 - Oct 19 with 5663 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

How does anyone lose a vote to nil?

Highlighting crass stupidity since sometime around 2010
Poll: Would you want Messi to sign?

Good old 'Auntie'... on 08:16 - Oct 19 with 5657 viewsuefacup81

Good old 'Auntie'... on 08:08 - Oct 19 by C_HealyIsAPleasure

How does anyone lose a vote to nil?

Tories and DUP abstained en-masse (barring one Tory MP who voted for the motion).

I would assume that someone in power twigged they were looking at a defeat and decided 'you can't lose if you don't turn up'...

Good old 'Auntie'... on 08:24 - Oct 19 with 5635 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

Good old 'Auntie'... on 08:16 - Oct 19 by uefacup81

Tories and DUP abstained en-masse (barring one Tory MP who voted for the motion).

I would assume that someone in power twigged they were looking at a defeat and decided 'you can't lose if you don't turn up'...

So they weren’t actually in the vote then? (Aside from 1 MP who was on the winning side)

Good old 'Auntie'... on 08:32 - Oct 19 with 5616 viewsBlueBadger

Good old 'Auntie'... on 07:15 - Oct 19 by IpswichIrish

Anyone who thinks 'auntie' is impartial only needs to look at their obsessive anti Corbyn agenda lead by Laura Kuennesberg and their constant pandering to royal propaganda or chasing the unelected Farage with a platform and camera. It is an absolute disgrace

You DO know that 'impartiality' isn't defined as 'slavishly reports only news stories that make the Dear Leader look good' right?

Good old 'Auntie'... on 08:33 - Oct 19 with 5614 viewsBlueBadger

Good old 'Auntie'... on 08:52 - Oct 19 with 5590 viewsNo9

It may be worth reading the HoP site apparently the tories abstained then tried to stop the vote & labour provided the tellers

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/universal-credit-stopped-paused-vote-governmen
Good old 'Auntie'... on 08:53 - Oct 19 with 5589 viewsuefacup81

Good old 'Auntie'... on 08:24 - Oct 19 by C_HealyIsAPleasure

So they weren’t actually in the vote then? (Aside from 1 MP who was on the winning side)

So by that logic (assuming I've understood you correctly), should Norwich choose not to turn up on Sunday and we get awarded a 3-0 walkover, that won't count as a win and won't be considered as humiliating for Norwich in the slightest?

Good old 'Auntie'... on 08:57 - Oct 19 with 5578 viewsNo9

Good old 'Auntie'... on 08:24 - Oct 19 by C_HealyIsAPleasure

They tried to usurp democracy - the Independent reports it well
pi$$ed off the speaker again which is why they want him replaced with Rees-Mogg
Good old 'Auntie'... on 09:35 - Oct 19 with 5536 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

Good old 'Auntie'... on 08:53 - Oct 19 by uefacup81

So by that logic (assuming I've understood you correctly), should Norwich choose not to turn up on Sunday and we get awarded a 3-0 walkover, that won't count as a win and won't be considered as humiliating for Norwich in the slightest?

Ignoring that it would be very strange in the context of football, I'd argue it would be a rather hollow victory, rather than actually beating them 3-0 on the pitch. Clearly I'd be happy with the points mind

I'm not sure your comparison really works to be honest

Good old 'Auntie'... on 09:40 - Oct 19 with 5525 viewsusm

Only because the Tory MPs abstained, which is a good news story - and good for democracy - but the media does not like good news stories, especially when its about our Govt.

FOYSC
Poll: Did Broad just get a hat trick without realising ?

Good old 'Auntie'... on 11:07 - Oct 19 with 5422 viewsIpswichIrish

Good old 'Auntie'... on 08:32 - Oct 19 by BlueBadger

You DO know that 'impartiality' isn't defined as 'slavishly reports only news stories that make the Dear Leader look good' right?

Corbyn isn't perfect no MP is
ut he's against British imperialism, cosying up to America and pandering to Israel and point blank rejecting the con of austerity which is why the beeb hate him, you couldn't tell the difference between the tories and labour from 1997-2015 so thank god I say
Good old 'Auntie'... on 11:40 - Oct 19 with 5369 viewsWeWereZombies

Good old 'Auntie'... on 08:33 - Oct 19 by BlueBadger

Not seen that before, decent effort but if you replaced BBC with 'Commonwealth', or 'England' or 'Scotland' there might be some posters who wouldn't let you get away with anything more than 'appreciative of' if you were lucky.

Poll: How will we get fourteen points from the last five games ?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024