Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Scotland making it illegal to smack your kids 15:10 - Oct 19 with 24871 viewsvapour_trail

Thoughts?

Trailing vapour since 1999.
Poll: Should Gav and Phil limiti the number of polls?

Scotland making it illegal to smack your kids on 16:23 - Oct 19 with 6122 viewschicoazul

didnt someone on here have a stroke or something as an adult as a direct result of getting walloped as a kid? Im sure i remember reading that.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

Scotland making it illegal to smack your kids on 17:20 - Oct 19 with 6091 viewsFixed_It

What? Even the ginger ones?!

Ready! Steady! Cook!
Poll: Club v. Country - which comes first for you?

Scotland making it illegal to smack your kids on 17:29 - Oct 19 with 6076 viewsJ2BLUE

Scotland making it illegal to smack your kids on 15:35 - Oct 19 by J2BLUE

Ridiculous idea, if Sturgeon was my daughter i'd smack her in the mouth.

Wewerezombies........whoosh!

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Scotland making it illegal to smack your kids on 17:44 - Oct 19 with 6062 viewsWeWereZombies

Scotland making it illegal to smack your kids on 17:29 - Oct 19 by J2BLUE

Wewerezombies........whoosh!

Really? You set Crunchie up...

Poll: How will we get fourteen points from the last five games ?

Scotland making it illegal to smack your kids on 18:02 - Oct 19 with 6044 viewsjeera

Scotland making it illegal to smack your kids on 15:33 - Oct 19 by SpruceMoose

But going back to the original post, I think it's a good thing. What can slapping your kids ever teach them other than it being ok to slap people when they don't do what you want.

They could grow up thinking it's ok to nick other kids' ipads.

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

Scotland making it illegal to smack your kids on 18:31 - Oct 19 with 6024 viewslowhouseblue

jeez, they'll be making it illegal to feed them deep fried mars bars next.

And so as the loose-bowelled pigeon of time swoops low over the unsuspecting tourist of destiny, and the flatulent skunk of fate wanders into the air-conditioning system of eternity, I notice it's the end of the show

Scotland making it illegal to smack your kids on 18:39 - Oct 19 with 6008 viewsblue_oyster

Scotland making it illegal to smack your kids on 15:52 - Oct 19 by BOjK

Do you take the same hands-off approach to sexual abuse as you do to physical abuse?

Save the straw man for bonfire night?

Conventional wisdom is the enemy of thought.
Poll: Who is the most hated contributor to this site?

Scotland making it illegal to smack your kids on 18:41 - Oct 19 with 6007 viewsSpruceMoose

Scotland making it illegal to smack your kids on 18:39 - Oct 19 by blue_oyster

Save the straw man for bonfire night?

Here he is!

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."
Poll: Selectamod

Login to get fewer ads

Scotland making it illegal to smack your kids on 18:41 - Oct 19 with 6005 viewsblue_oyster

Scotland making it illegal to smack your kids on 16:13 - Oct 19 by vapour_trail

Whilst the best outcomes of this are in terms of child protection and an inevitable cultural shift towards improved and more considered parenting, the fact that it winds up archaic religious fundamentalists, still adhering to the englishmans home is his castle mantra, such as your good self, is a very welcome bi-product.

Indeed, spite is one of the reasons this law is brought in. The left make no secret of it.

Scotland making it illegal to smack your kids on 18:50 - Oct 19 with 5999 viewsFrowsyArmLarry

Scotland making it illegal to smack your kids on 15:33 - Oct 19 by SpruceMoose

But going back to the original post, I think it's a good thing. What can slapping your kids ever teach them other than it being ok to slap people when they don't do what you want.

I have smacked them in the past (not very hard obviously) for violent and destructive behaviour. It taught them that hitting wasn't acceptable.
Scotland making it illegal to smack your kids on 18:59 - Oct 19 with 5981 viewsJ2BLUE

Scotland making it illegal to smack your kids on 18:41 - Oct 19 by blue_oyster

Indeed, spite is one of the reasons this law is brought in. The left make no secret of it.

God wants people to beat the sh1t out of their kids.

Truly impaired.

Scotland making it illegal to smack your kids on 19:00 - Oct 19 with 5978 viewsFrowsyArmLarry

Scotland making it illegal to smack your kids on 18:59 - Oct 19 by J2BLUE

God wants people to beat the sh1t out of their kids.

So, for example, if one child was literally beating another child you wouldn't physically intervene?
Scotland making it illegal to smack your kids on 19:02 - Oct 19 with 5967 viewsJ2BLUE

Scotland making it illegal to smack your kids on 19:00 - Oct 19 by FrowsyArmLarry

So, for example, if one child was literally beating another child you wouldn't physically intervene?

I think you've got the wrong end of the stick.

Truly impaired.

Scotland making it illegal to smack your kids on 19:05 - Oct 19 with 5958 viewsFrowsyArmLarry

Scotland making it illegal to smack your kids on 19:02 - Oct 19 by J2BLUE

I think you've got the wrong end of the stick.

The trouble is as soon as you put your hands on them it's abuse. So you could only talk to your kids as they're bashing the hell out of each other
Scotland making it illegal to smack your kids on 19:07 - Oct 19 with 5946 viewsJ2BLUE

Scotland making it illegal to smack your kids on 19:05 - Oct 19 by FrowsyArmLarry

The trouble is as soon as you put your hands on them it's abuse. So you could only talk to your kids as they're bashing the hell out of each other

Clearly that isn't true. You could restrain them without taking a swing at them.

Truly impaired.

Scotland making it illegal to smack your kids on 19:07 - Oct 19 with 5947 viewsSpruceMoose

Scotland making it illegal to smack your kids on 19:05 - Oct 19 by FrowsyArmLarry

That's why you need three kids. Two to fight, one to referee.

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."
Poll: Selectamod

Scotland making it illegal to smack your kids on 20:11 - Oct 19 with 5891 viewsHerbivore

Scotland making it illegal to smack your kids on 18:50 - Oct 19 by FrowsyArmLarry

I have smacked them in the past (not very hard obviously) for violent and destructive behaviour. It taught them that hitting wasn't acceptable.

You taught them that hitting wasn't acceptable by, erm, hitting them? Interested to know how that works.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Scotland making it illegal to smack your kids on 21:45 - Oct 19 with 5846 viewsvapour_trail

Scotland making it illegal to smack your kids on 18:41 - Oct 19 by blue_oyster

It's a good point. A law to stop people hitting their kids is designed to spite people who like hitting kids.

Whilst it troubles you, thankfully it doesn't affect you so you can train your religious rage elsewhere.

Trailing vapour since 1999.
Poll: Should Gav and Phil limiti the number of polls?

Scotland making it illegal to smack your kids on 21:53 - Oct 19 with 5836 viewseireblue

Scotland making it illegal to smack your kids on 21:45 - Oct 19 by vapour_trail

It's a good point. A law to stop people hitting their kids is designed to spite people who like hitting kids.

Whilst it troubles you, thankfully it doesn't affect you so you can train your religious rage elsewhere.

Original sin, init. Best to thrash it out of the little bleeders or the devil will take them for his own.
Scotland making it illegal to smack your kids on 22:11 - Oct 19 with 5814 viewstcblue

Scotland making it illegal to smack your kids on 15:27 - Oct 19 by Joey_Joe_Joe_Junior

That's another question worth investigating.

A lot of children seem to be diagnosed with ADHD and literally given speed to help them focus. Worrying.

Ritalin isn't literally speed, if that's what you mean. That's not to say it isn't a questionable substance to give kids, but it isn't literally speed (although it is a stimulant).

#talktofrank
Scotland making it illegal to smack your kids on 22:49 - Oct 19 with 5784 viewsSwansea_Blue

Scotland making it illegal to smack your kids on 21:53 - Oct 19 by eireblue

Original sin, init. Best to thrash it out of the little bleeders or the devil will take them for his own.

And it is only smacking. Presumably punching and kneecapping are still ok.

Edit - your post reminded me of this religious training manual for kids. https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.babble.com/mom/to-train-up-a-child-teaches-puni I think we discussed it on here although not sure. Sparks was no doubt a big fan
[Post edited 19 Oct 2017 22:52]

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Scotland making it illegal to smack your kids on 22:51 - Oct 19 with 5774 viewsRyorry

Scotland making it illegal to smack your kids on 16:23 - Oct 19 by chicoazul

didnt someone on here have a stroke or something as an adult as a direct result of getting walloped as a kid? Im sure i remember reading that.

Yes, me. Had two blows to the head as a child, both around my left lughole - one from a dreadful teacher who lost patience when I did something pretty minor, and one from my mother - also a snap lashout for something v. minor as I was drying up whilst she washed up. When I had a brainscan age 40 for something else, a childhood lesion (ie stroke, albeit small one & not noticed at the time except by me) was revealed. I didn't have any other childhood blows to the head (from falls etc). From then onwards and to this day I still don't make connections between some things as quickly as I should; sometimes not at all.

Edit:- I think there's a big difference between a blow to the head, which should be completely illegal everywhere immediately; and a mild slap on the bottom as a last resort in extreme situations - e.g. I smacked my dog's rump a couple of times when he started to chase sheep, because better that than he got shot by the farmer. Tho having said that, I still remember being smacked on the bott during my 4th birthday party as a thoroughly humiliating experience, and think it might well have made me more likely to misbehave because upset & resentful as a result. Depends on the individual child and situation really.
[Post edited 19 Oct 2017 23:00]

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

Scotland making it illegal to smack your kids on 22:57 - Oct 19 with 5766 viewsSwansea_Blue

Scotland making it illegal to smack your kids on 22:51 - Oct 19 by Ryorry

Yes, me. Had two blows to the head as a child, both around my left lughole - one from a dreadful teacher who lost patience when I did something pretty minor, and one from my mother - also a snap lashout for something v. minor as I was drying up whilst she washed up. When I had a brainscan age 40 for something else, a childhood lesion (ie stroke, albeit small one & not noticed at the time except by me) was revealed. I didn't have any other childhood blows to the head (from falls etc). From then onwards and to this day I still don't make connections between some things as quickly as I should; sometimes not at all.

Edit:- I think there's a big difference between a blow to the head, which should be completely illegal everywhere immediately; and a mild slap on the bottom as a last resort in extreme situations - e.g. I smacked my dog's rump a couple of times when he started to chase sheep, because better that than he got shot by the farmer. Tho having said that, I still remember being smacked on the bott during my 4th birthday party as a thoroughly humiliating experience, and think it might well have made me more likely to misbehave because upset & resentful as a result. Depends on the individual child and situation really.
[Post edited 19 Oct 2017 23:00]

Blimey. Big hugs Ryorry. I mean we knew you were a bit dumb, but didn't know why .

Sorry, no laughing matter. You've been in the wars by the sounds of it

There's no need for hitting kids. It is just a sign of losing control (and yeah I get it, I've been tempted when the little monkeys are playing up and everyone's tired). But in the long run I can't see how anything positive can come from it.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Scotland making it illegal to smack your kids on 23:05 - Oct 19 with 5755 viewsRyorry

Scotland making it illegal to smack your kids on 22:57 - Oct 19 by Swansea_Blue

Blimey. Big hugs Ryorry. I mean we knew you were a bit dumb, but didn't know why .

Sorry, no laughing matter. You've been in the wars by the sounds of it

There's no need for hitting kids. It is just a sign of losing control (and yeah I get it, I've been tempted when the little monkeys are playing up and everyone's tired). But in the long run I can't see how anything positive can come from it.

Friend of mine who's a very calm, rational, lovely person never touched her two, and they're now two of the nicest, loveliest young adults you'd ever wish to meet (each now also with two young kids of their own). Same for another couple of close friends & their three.

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

Scotland making it illegal to smack your kids on 23:06 - Oct 19 with 5753 viewsblue_oyster

Scotland making it illegal to smack your kids on 21:45 - Oct 19 by vapour_trail

You make no sense with your straw man argument, and cynically pretend that families are constantly beating up their own children so you can approve of laws that will infringe on the lives of good people.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024