Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Ipswich v Norwich 09:01 - Oct 20 with 9929 viewsitfcjoe

Even being totally biased, I do think this is a great rivalry.

2 one club similar sized counties, where the whole county basically gets behind the team.

2 clubs of a similar size

Generally paths don't cross with too many Norwich fans and vice versa so easier to build up a real dislike

Clubs are generally in the same division - and even when we aren't in the same division it never feels like the next game is too far away as neither of us can sustain PL footy and they were too good for L1.

Just amazing how we haven't managed to get a win over them for so long - that has to change Sunday

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Ipswich v Norwich on 09:03 - Oct 20 with 6975 viewshype313

Also it has to be one of the biggest rivalries in the world, distance wise.

I know Palace and Brighton have a rivalry but that is more recent and not as fierce.

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

Ipswich v Norwich on 09:34 - Oct 20 with 6879 viewsBlueastheycome

Disagree with paths don't generally cross with Norwich fans... try living in and around the Suffolk and Norfolk borders mate! The battle rages on and on every day with norwich fans!
Ipswich v Norwich on 09:37 - Oct 20 with 6864 viewsKing_of_Portman_Rd

Ipswich v Norwich on 09:34 - Oct 20 by Blueastheycome

Disagree with paths don't generally cross with Norwich fans... try living in and around the Suffolk and Norfolk borders mate! The battle rages on and on every day with norwich fans!

Exactly.. My school was pretty much a 50/50 split when I was there
Ipswich v Norwich on 09:41 - Oct 20 with 6843 viewsStuartBrett8

I'm in Lowestoft... loads of yellow shirted F*ckers here...

Stop the world, I want to get off
Poll: What should we do with Frank Nouble?

Ipswich v Norwich on 09:44 - Oct 20 with 6830 viewsbluewein

Totally agree.

Also (and I know other rivalries fall into this category as well) but there's a distinct lack of plastic fans involved in comparison to the likes of the Manc and London derbies. (I know there is a slight irony here as I'm Yeovil born and bred.)

Only thing is it's not exactly the most appreciated rivalry. I know it shouldn't bother me as it's used in a semi affectionate way but the Old Farm rivalry of does my head in. When the likes of Sky start using it, you know we're not really being taken that seriously. That said, they'd build the sh1t up out of it if it was a premier league derby. (Something I hope to see soon.)

Poll: What should you have your gammon with...?

Ipswich v Norwich on 09:45 - Oct 20 with 6834 viewsLamby95

When the BBC had the derby the season after they came back from league 1 I remember Jake Humphrey doing a very good intro explaining what makes it so intense and a great rivalry. Shame we went on to lose 4-1 that day
Ipswich v Norwich on 09:51 - Oct 20 with 6798 viewsITFC_Forever

But that's only a relatively smaller proportion of both sets of fans - although I do appreciate for those in Thetford, Diss, Harleston, Lowestoft etc the battle is real and happens daily.

The majority don't mix at all, where as a single town / city derbies or those which are closer together, the majority (or a much higher mix) of the fans are side-by-side, day-by-day.

P 1123, W 500, D 287, L 336, F 1704, A 1356
Blog: Confessions of a Statto - Why We Bother

Ipswich v Norwich on 11:09 - Oct 20 with 6659 viewsgainsboroughblue

Ipswich v Norwich on 09:44 - Oct 20 by bluewein

Totally agree.

Also (and I know other rivalries fall into this category as well) but there's a distinct lack of plastic fans involved in comparison to the likes of the Manc and London derbies. (I know there is a slight irony here as I'm Yeovil born and bred.)

Only thing is it's not exactly the most appreciated rivalry. I know it shouldn't bother me as it's used in a semi affectionate way but the Old Farm rivalry of does my head in. When the likes of Sky start using it, you know we're not really being taken that seriously. That said, they'd build the sh1t up out of it if it was a premier league derby. (Something I hope to see soon.)

I want to know where the 'Old Farm derby' thing came from. I had never, ever, heard it referred to as that by anyone until that book by Rob Hadgraft came out. Maybe it's him who's to blame for it? It's one notch down from 'Tractor boys'.

I hate it with a passion. East Anglian Derby perfectly suffices.
[Post edited 20 Oct 2017 11:11]

Poll: Favourite Norwich Relegation?

Login to get fewer ads

Ipswich v Norwich on 11:16 - Oct 20 with 6620 viewsReuser_is_God

'Generally paths don't cross with too many Norwich fans and vice versa so easier to build up a real dislike'

When outsiders ask 'why is there even a dislike, you're so far apart' this is what I say to them.

Evans out
Poll: Are Burgers the new Cheese?

Ipswich v Norwich on 11:41 - Oct 20 with 6540 viewsmonty_radio

When I worked in Lowestoft in the 70s, and Town were the more successful, there seemed to be a greater number of Town than City fans. I'm guessing the last decade plus has had its effect on that.

And though Lowestoft is Suffolk, it's much nearer Norwich so: add in a trip to the cathedral and airport, and A12 medieval misery and, unless it's a family tradition, it's loaded in their favour.

Blog: Too Many Suspects? – A Swede Ramble

Ipswich v Norwich on 11:45 - Oct 20 with 6517 viewstractordownsouth

It also helps that neither have any ' sub- rivalries' as it were. Such as both Sheffield clubs also hating Leeds or Brentford and Fulham also having a rivalry with QPR etc.

Poll: Preferred Lambert replacement?
Blog: No Time to Panic Yet

Ipswich v Norwich on 12:00 - Oct 20 with 6473 viewsmonty_radio

Ipswich v Norwich on 11:45 - Oct 20 by tractordownsouth

It also helps that neither have any ' sub- rivalries' as it were. Such as both Sheffield clubs also hating Leeds or Brentford and Fulham also having a rivalry with QPR etc.

In spite of that, as a teenager back in the mid sixties, before the Internet facilitated instant opinion and cross-regional argument, I don't remember so much being made of the derby or staking so much on it as some on here seem to - what's your memory of it PJH?

Ipswich v Norwich on 12:10 - Oct 20 with 6448 viewsPJH

Ipswich v Norwich on 11:09 - Oct 20 by gainsboroughblue

I want to know where the 'Old Farm derby' thing came from. I had never, ever, heard it referred to as that by anyone until that book by Rob Hadgraft came out. Maybe it's him who's to blame for it? It's one notch down from 'Tractor boys'.

I hate it with a passion. East Anglian Derby perfectly suffices.
[Post edited 20 Oct 2017 11:11]

Rob Hadgraft was the first that I heard refer to it as that too so maybe you are right that it is him to blame.
Ipswich v Norwich on 12:22 - Oct 20 with 6414 viewsITFC_Forever

Ipswich v Norwich on 12:00 - Oct 20 by monty_radio

In spite of that, as a teenager back in the mid sixties, before the Internet facilitated instant opinion and cross-regional argument, I don't remember so much being made of the derby or staking so much on it as some on here seem to - what's your memory of it PJH?

Can't remember the 60s, but in the 80s and 90s, I would say it was more intense than it is now.

The internet age has simply given juvenile nobs the opportunity to call each other scum on twitter.

P 1123, W 500, D 287, L 336, F 1704, A 1356
Blog: Confessions of a Statto - Why We Bother

Ipswich v Norwich on 12:27 - Oct 20 with 6402 viewsyorkshireblue

Ipswich v Norwich on 11:45 - Oct 20 by tractordownsouth

Doesn't everyone have a sub-rivalry with Leeds?
Ipswich v Norwich on 12:34 - Oct 20 with 6382 viewsPJH

Ipswich v Norwich on 12:00 - Oct 20 by monty_radio

I don't recall the build up in the press being as intense back then as it is now but my personal feelings about them are unaltered over a span of approaching 60 years.
The first derby that I know that I was at was in the F.A. Cup in 1962 which they won-I remember their Terry Allcock doing cartwheels at the final whistle.
That season ended quite well for us though!
The 1960/61 games were played on 26th and 27th December and as we usually went to my grandparents in Worcestershire for Christmas I was probably not at PR,if I was I have no memory of it(we won 3-0 at their place and 4-1 at PR the next day).
My first game in Norfolk was in 1964.

I estimate that I have seen about 75 competitive games between us and them and I personally get just as wound up now before the game as I did all those years ago.

Beating them,especially at their place, is only just behind seeing us gaining our three stars for me.

edit-it might have been Ron Ashman doing the cartwheels(they both played) but it was either him or Allcock.
[Post edited 20 Oct 2017 12:39]
Ipswich v Norwich on 12:38 - Oct 20 with 6360 viewsgainsboroughblue

Ipswich v Norwich on 12:22 - Oct 20 by ITFC_Forever

Can't remember the 60s, but in the 80s and 90s, I would say it was more intense than it is now.

The internet age has simply given juvenile nobs the opportunity to call each other scum on twitter.

Normal kick off times on a Saturday and midweek games with a good turn out of 5k plus Town for away games would have helped the intensity.

Ipswich v Norwich on 12:40 - Oct 20 with 6342 viewsPJH

Ipswich v Norwich on 12:38 - Oct 20 by gainsboroughblue

Normal kick off times on a Saturday and midweek games with a good turn out of 5k plus Town for away games would have helped the intensity.

Yes, games were often Boxing Day and/or Easter as well.
Ipswich v Norwich on 12:45 - Oct 20 with 6321 viewsgainsboroughblue

Ipswich v Norwich on 12:40 - Oct 20 by PJH

Yes, games were often Boxing Day and/or Easter as well.

My first derby was boxing day (or at least Christmas time). Bloody Martin O'Neill last minute winner.

Ipswich v Norwich on 12:48 - Oct 20 with 6308 viewsPJH

Ipswich v Norwich on 12:45 - Oct 20 by gainsboroughblue

My first derby was boxing day (or at least Christmas time). Bloody Martin O'Neill last minute winner.

That would be December 27th 1982 then.
Ipswich v Norwich on 12:48 - Oct 20 with 6306 viewsBecclesITFC

Ipswich v Norwich on 09:41 - Oct 20 by StuartBrett8

I'm in Lowestoft... loads of yellow shirted F*ckers here...

Tell me about it. Most of that is recent. Always used to be Blue lowestoft.
Beccles same mate. Norwich majority. Although that's because ITFC as a club fave failed and let down fans. no community feel.

Re the original post. Try living on the boarder.
Ipswich v Norwich on 13:01 - Oct 20 with 6267 viewsgainsboroughblue

Ipswich v Norwich on 12:48 - Oct 20 by PJH

That would be December 27th 1982 then.

That would be a quick flick through 'The Men who Made the Town' then!

Sounds about right. It was 3-2 wasn't it? I remember punching the wall in front of me in the Churchmans and hiding the agonising pain from my dad on the walk home.

Ipswich v Norwich on 13:01 - Oct 20 with 6262 viewsJ2BLUE

As one paper put it a while back, it's not a battle of clubs, it's a battle of empires.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Ipswich v Norwich on 13:02 - Oct 20 with 6255 viewsHerbivore

I mix with Norwich fans constantly. They're mostly decent people.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Ipswich v Norwich on 13:03 - Oct 20 with 6255 viewsmonty_radio

Ipswich v Norwich on 12:34 - Oct 20 by PJH

I don't recall the build up in the press being as intense back then as it is now but my personal feelings about them are unaltered over a span of approaching 60 years.
The first derby that I know that I was at was in the F.A. Cup in 1962 which they won-I remember their Terry Allcock doing cartwheels at the final whistle.
That season ended quite well for us though!
The 1960/61 games were played on 26th and 27th December and as we usually went to my grandparents in Worcestershire for Christmas I was probably not at PR,if I was I have no memory of it(we won 3-0 at their place and 4-1 at PR the next day).
My first game in Norfolk was in 1964.

I estimate that I have seen about 75 competitive games between us and them and I personally get just as wound up now before the game as I did all those years ago.

Beating them,especially at their place, is only just behind seeing us gaining our three stars for me.

edit-it might have been Ron Ashman doing the cartwheels(they both played) but it was either him or Allcock.
[Post edited 20 Oct 2017 12:39]

I remember hearing about that 1962 defeat while standing at a bus stop next morning on Spring Rd, and feeling suddenly sick. My Mum hadn't let me go because it was an evening game around 11plus time.

Can't say I relish the tension so much now - pretty much any tension, that is!

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024