Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Ipswich v Norwich 09:01 - Oct 20 with 9926 viewsitfcjoe

Even being totally biased, I do think this is a great rivalry.

2 one club similar sized counties, where the whole county basically gets behind the team.

2 clubs of a similar size

Generally paths don't cross with too many Norwich fans and vice versa so easier to build up a real dislike

Clubs are generally in the same division - and even when we aren't in the same division it never feels like the next game is too far away as neither of us can sustain PL footy and they were too good for L1.

Just amazing how we haven't managed to get a win over them for so long - that has to change Sunday

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Ipswich v Norwich on 13:05 - Oct 20 with 2938 viewsPJH

Ipswich v Norwich on 13:01 - Oct 20 by gainsboroughblue

That would be a quick flick through 'The Men who Made the Town' then!

Sounds about right. It was 3-2 wasn't it? I remember punching the wall in front of me in the Churchmans and hiding the agonising pain from my dad on the walk home.

It could have been but I actually got it from "Pride Of Anglia"-over 90 years of soccer rivalry published in 1993.

Yes it was 2-3.
Ipswich v Norwich on 23:31 - Oct 20 with 2849 viewsBlueastheycome

Ipswich v Norwich on 11:41 - Oct 20 by monty_radio

When I worked in Lowestoft in the 70s, and Town were the more successful, there seemed to be a greater number of Town than City fans. I'm guessing the last decade plus has had its effect on that.

And though Lowestoft is Suffolk, it's much nearer Norwich so: add in a trip to the cathedral and airport, and A12 medieval misery and, unless it's a family tradition, it's loaded in their favour.

I'm from Lowestoft so I hear ya.

Living in Lowestoft, I do think we are culturally more similar to Norwich due to our proximity. As a city, it draws us in for its shopping, cinema, nights out etc, so when a person is generally neautral they still tend to sympathise with Norwich City FC. Nobody ever makes the trip up the A12 to Ipswich unless they have a specific reason to do so.
Ipswich v Norwich on 23:36 - Oct 20 with 2845 viewsBlueastheycome

Ipswich v Norwich on 12:48 - Oct 20 by BecclesITFC

Tell me about it. Most of that is recent. Always used to be Blue lowestoft.
Beccles same mate. Norwich majority. Although that's because ITFC as a club fave failed and let down fans. no community feel.

Re the original post. Try living on the boarder.

I have just moved to Beccles and it makes me glad there is another Blue in the town 😂
Ipswich v Norwich on 23:53 - Oct 20 with 2833 viewsSuperTommySmith

I was saying this to someone at work. I almost love norwich in a sense. Having someone to hate is absolutely brilliant makes a couple of games interesting a year. We can lol when they get relegated. etc

I'd absolutely hate to support a team like Reading? What serious rivalries do they have? Where's the fun in it without it.
Ipswich v Norwich on 00:03 - Oct 21 with 2823 viewsjaykay

my first memory of the the derby was in 1962 ,when we were drawn away to them in the f.a. cup. i was 12 . i went to carrot road with 3 of my uncles and some their mates,all in their late 20s. we went there a week earlier in a bedford dormobile and bought tickets tickets for the f.a. cup game. i didnt realise at the time there was a rivalry. but we got our tickets without hassle . we drew one one .after the game i saw my first scrap between adults, well a couple of punches thrown. that was by one of my uncles mates. we left the ground and were traveling away from the ground and stopped at traffic lights. when a norwich fan reached in the open window and pulled my bobble hat off.. with that out jumped my uncles mate and went to get it back . it was retrieved after a scuffle

we lost the replay 2.1
[Post edited 21 Oct 2017 0:19]

forensic experts say footers and spruces fingerprints were not found at the scene after the weekends rows

Ipswich v Norwich on 09:08 - Oct 21 with 2698 viewsellerblue

Ipswich v Norwich on 13:05 - Oct 20 by PJH

It could have been but I actually got it from "Pride Of Anglia"-over 90 years of soccer rivalry published in 1993.

Yes it was 2-3.

Do you remember the match when at half time the ground staff came on with a bucket of sand and spread it in the goalmouth we were defending the second half and a Norwich fan ran on and tried to kick the bucket from the blokes grasp, cant remember the year , it was a cold and frosty afternoon must be in the sixties.

Heinsberg Blue

Ipswich v Norwich on 09:13 - Oct 21 with 2692 viewsClausThomsen

If we win tomorrow it will be both MM's first win over Norwich and his first October win as ITFC boss.

Maybe a couple of monkeys off his back and we can have another playoff season.

Just hope that Adeyemi's fit and we can play the 4231 that worked so well against Sunderland, but with Webster at centreback and Spence at rightback *hopefully* making us less leaky.
Ipswich v Norwich on 09:27 - Oct 21 with 2678 viewsPhilTWTD

Ipswich v Norwich on 09:13 - Oct 21 by ClausThomsen

If we win tomorrow it will be both MM's first win over Norwich and his first October win as ITFC boss.

Maybe a couple of monkeys off his back and we can have another playoff season.

Just hope that Adeyemi's fit and we can play the 4231 that worked so well against Sunderland, but with Webster at centreback and Spence at rightback *hopefully* making us less leaky.

Not quite correct, we beat Burton 2-0 last October.
Login to get fewer ads

Ipswich v Norwich on 09:29 - Oct 21 with 2674 viewsPJH

Ipswich v Norwich on 09:08 - Oct 21 by ellerblue

Do you remember the match when at half time the ground staff came on with a bucket of sand and spread it in the goalmouth we were defending the second half and a Norwich fan ran on and tried to kick the bucket from the blokes grasp, cant remember the year , it was a cold and frosty afternoon must be in the sixties.

Certainly remember that one particularly as it was my 14th birthday-January 2nd 1965.
Twice in the first half their keeper Keelan slipped at Churchmans on the ice/frost and dropped the ball and both times Gerry Baker put it in the empty net.
At halftime our groundstaff came out to salt and sand that goalmouth and I think there were three or four of their fans that tried to kick the buckets away.
Joe Broadfoot made it 3-0 in the second half, a VERY happy birthday for me.
[Post edited 21 Oct 2017 9:32]
Ipswich v Norwich on 09:45 - Oct 21 with 2642 viewsPhilTWTD

Ipswich v Norwich on 12:10 - Oct 20 by PJH

Rob Hadgraft was the first that I heard refer to it as that too so maybe you are right that it is him to blame.

I always assumed it was invented by Sky but you may be right. I don't like it either, always thought it slightly patronises our big game.
Ipswich v Norwich on 10:14 - Oct 21 with 2609 viewsstrikalite

Ipswich v Norwich on 12:40 - Oct 20 by PJH

Yes, games were often Boxing Day and/or Easter as well.

When and why did this change? No doubt down to Policing and costs etc, derby games were made for either Boxing day or New years day, songs were built around this, no other day over the season comes remotely close to these two special days....it was the first thing you'd look at when the fixtures came out!
Ipswich v Norwich on 10:30 - Oct 21 with 2598 viewsITFC_Forever

Ipswich v Norwich on 23:31 - Oct 20 by Blueastheycome

I'm from Lowestoft so I hear ya.

Living in Lowestoft, I do think we are culturally more similar to Norwich due to our proximity. As a city, it draws us in for its shopping, cinema, nights out etc, so when a person is generally neautral they still tend to sympathise with Norwich City FC. Nobody ever makes the trip up the A12 to Ipswich unless they have a specific reason to do so.

Surely it’s down to Ipswich from Lowestoft?

P 1123, W 500, D 287, L 336, F 1704, A 1356
Blog: Confessions of a Statto - Why We Bother

Ipswich v Norwich on 10:33 - Oct 21 with 2586 viewsITFC_Forever

Ipswich v Norwich on 10:14 - Oct 21 by strikalite

When and why did this change? No doubt down to Policing and costs etc, derby games were made for either Boxing day or New years day, songs were built around this, no other day over the season comes remotely close to these two special days....it was the first thing you'd look at when the fixtures came out!

Certainly since rivalries were renewed in the early 90s they’ve not been Boxing Day / Easter, or not by design anyway... the 2-0 at their place in December 1992 and the Megson OG game we’re just before Christmas and the 1-5 was moved from Easter Saturday to Maundy Thursday.

Think the Sunday lunchtime kick-offs came along at the end of the 90s.

Ipswich v Norwich on 10:46 - Oct 21 with 2578 viewsstrikalite

Ipswich v Norwich on 10:33 - Oct 21 by ITFC_Forever

Certainly since rivalries were renewed in the early 90s they’ve not been Boxing Day / Easter, or not by design anyway... the 2-0 at their place in December 1992 and the Megson OG game we’re just before Christmas and the 1-5 was moved from Easter Saturday to Maundy Thursday.

Think the Sunday lunchtime kick-offs came along at the end of the 90s.

It's obvious to me now, surely down to Sky and wanting this game and don't suppose to them it'd be big enough for a Boxing day/ New Year/Easter live showing? May be wrong but seems that way...
Ipswich v Norwich on 10:51 - Oct 21 with 2571 viewsITFC_Forever

Ipswich v Norwich on 10:46 - Oct 21 by strikalite

It's obvious to me now, surely down to Sky and wanting this game and don't suppose to them it'd be big enough for a Boxing day/ New Year/Easter live showing? May be wrong but seems that way...

No, the lunchtime thing is due to the police. The one exception was the 1-5 and there was more trouble than they’d have liked.

Not sure about before that, but even when we were both relegated in the mid-90s, it still wasn’t Boxing Day and Easter.

Ipswich v Norwich on 16:08 - Oct 21 with 2517 viewsNo9

Ipswich v Norwich on 09:41 - Oct 20 by StuartBrett8

I'm in Lowestoft... loads of yellow shirted F*ckers here...

Yes & it used to be quite intense when Town & the busgies both had players from there
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024