Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
As a diesel driver and hypocritical environmentalist I found this interesting: 16:59 - Oct 21 with 2449 viewsWeWereZombies

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/resources/idt-sh/how_toxic_is_your_car_exhaust

Unfortunately a bit inconclusive and not even electric car drivers come out of this unscathed, might be useful also for any of you who are London based and thinking of changing your car.

Poll: Luton or Dubai ?

As a diesel driver and hypocritical environmentalist I found this interesting: on 19:07 - Oct 21 with 2371 viewsSwansea_Blue

Interesting. So NOx is now the biggest concern, diesels emit far less than petrol yet we're still moving away from diesels. Yet newer diesels can also be dirtier in real world conditions, but are highly variable and the Euro ratings are flawed. Yet we're still going to use them as the basis of charges and for policing low emission zones.

Sounds a complete mess to me.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

As a diesel driver and hypocritical environmentalist I found this interesting: on 21:42 - Oct 21 with 2296 viewsjeera

All I know is my latest car is £30 a year tax and my previous was £190.

So I'm £160 happier.

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

As a diesel driver and hypocritical environmentalist I found this interesting: on 00:26 - Oct 22 with 2240 viewsSwansea_Blue

As a diesel driver and hypocritical environmentalist I found this interesting: on 21:42 - Oct 21 by jeera

All I know is my latest car is £30 a year tax and my previous was £190.

So I'm £160 happier.

That's great unless your newer car cost more than £160, in which case you've lost money. Or maybe I'm over thinking things...

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

As a diesel driver and hypocritical environmentalist I found this interesting: on 00:37 - Oct 22 with 2231 viewsjeera

As a diesel driver and hypocritical environmentalist I found this interesting: on 00:26 - Oct 22 by Swansea_Blue

That's great unless your newer car cost more than £160, in which case you've lost money. Or maybe I'm over thinking things...

Car needed replacing so ner. Needed work that pretty much outweighed the value of the vehicle itself. Was chuffed to see the tax is so cheap on this one. I think the last time I paid so little for tax was on my FS1M 50cc.

I did once buy a Cortina M3 for 50 quid.

The footwell would fill with water whenever it rained.

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

As a diesel driver and hypocritical environmentalist I found this interesting: on 09:24 - Oct 22 with 2164 viewsWeWereZombies

As a diesel driver and hypocritical environmentalist I found this interesting: on 00:37 - Oct 22 by jeera

Car needed replacing so ner. Needed work that pretty much outweighed the value of the vehicle itself. Was chuffed to see the tax is so cheap on this one. I think the last time I paid so little for tax was on my FS1M 50cc.

I did once buy a Cortina M3 for 50 quid.

The footwell would fill with water whenever it rained.

This Mark 3 Cortina - it wasn't Daytona yellow by any chance?

As a diesel driver and hypocritical environmentalist I found this interesting: on 10:05 - Oct 22 with 2138 viewsMJallday

i have swapped my Turbocharged Focus ST in for a Jaguar R-Sport Diesel

The focus stats : 270bhp, 40mpg claimed - real world 29mpg. co 2 emmisions 220gsm. miles out of a tank - max 400, real world 280.

The Jaguar stats : 180bhp, 66mpg claimed - real world 62mpg co 2 emmsions 140gsm
miles out of a tank - max 795, real world 680

yet somehow, the jaguar is "more polluting" because its a diesel, despite the fact it produces half the emmisions and i have to fill it up 1/2 as much

diesels these days have come a very long way - the government have got it quite wrong going after diesel drivers.
[Post edited 22 Oct 2017 10:07]

Stilton eating Participant - 1977 to Present Day
Poll: Will you be renewing if you are an existing ST Holder - given todays news?

As a diesel driver and hypocritical environmentalist I found this interesting: on 10:25 - Oct 22 with 2118 viewsFrowsyArmLarry

As a diesel driver and hypocritical environmentalist I found this interesting: on 10:05 - Oct 22 by MJallday

i have swapped my Turbocharged Focus ST in for a Jaguar R-Sport Diesel

The focus stats : 270bhp, 40mpg claimed - real world 29mpg. co 2 emmisions 220gsm. miles out of a tank - max 400, real world 280.

The Jaguar stats : 180bhp, 66mpg claimed - real world 62mpg co 2 emmsions 140gsm
miles out of a tank - max 795, real world 680

yet somehow, the jaguar is "more polluting" because its a diesel, despite the fact it produces half the emmisions and i have to fill it up 1/2 as much

diesels these days have come a very long way - the government have got it quite wrong going after diesel drivers.
[Post edited 22 Oct 2017 10:07]

But, to put it simply, diesels produce a lot of soot - petrols don't.

Reading the article it seems the tests are flawed and it's quite possible to produce a clean diesel engine if the tests were better. So why don't the EU want to correct this?
As a diesel driver and hypocritical environmentalist I found this interesting: on 10:30 - Oct 22 with 2114 viewsWeWereZombies

As a diesel driver and hypocritical environmentalist I found this interesting: on 10:25 - Oct 22 by FrowsyArmLarry

But, to put it simply, diesels produce a lot of soot - petrols don't.

Reading the article it seems the tests are flawed and it's quite possible to produce a clean diesel engine if the tests were better. So why don't the EU want to correct this?

The article does say that the new EU tests will be the toughest in the World - but still not tough enough. So heading in the right direction but 'Are we there yet?' Perhaps not until we can cycle everywhere, hang on what was that bit about particle emissions from brakes and tyres...

Login to get fewer ads

As a diesel driver and hypocritical environmentalist I found this interesting: on 10:33 - Oct 22 with 2105 viewsStokieBlue

"It is a precursor to the much more ambitious Ultra Low Emission Zone, penalising any vehicle made before autumn 2009 (pre-Euro 5) - which now seems likely to come into force in 2019 and to cover a large area between the North and South Circular ring roads."

Whilst I agree Nox is a huge problem (I have a diesel car in London but I cycle to work everyday so see both sides) it's outrageous to impose such a law on about 3-4m people who were told by a previous Labour and Conservative government to buy a diesel car in order to help get the greenhouse emissions down.

It's a incredible case of shifting the goalposts (we don't care about Co2 now only Nox) and the government should be made to pick up the cost with regards to an actual worthwhile diesel scrappage scheme (not 1000 or 2000 quid) otherwise it's imposing a non-manifesto tax increase on 1/12th the population of the UK just because of where they live.

Having said that, it won't be the first time Sadiq will have not implemented what he said - no travel cost increases anyone?

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

As a diesel driver and hypocritical environmentalist I found this interesting: on 11:00 - Oct 22 with 2071 viewsKievthegreat

If you ignore VW blatent cheating in the USA. The problem has always been the testing procedures in the EU. NEDC is a complete joke. It's not even just a petrol or diesel thing, look up an epectric car here and in the US and you'll get very different range figures because of the deficiencies in testing. The US testing is more representative of real driving, but more importantly doesn't allow cop out (they might be verging on ridiculous some of these, but theyre all ok and the rules so not cheats).

For example when they test for CO2 and fuel economy, they do it on a dyno rig and they attach a mass to simulate the inertia of the vehicle. However the weight is in groups of around 100kg, so a car weighing 1710kg will use the same test mass (around 1760 i believe) as one that weight 1829kg so you then have a big incentive to squeeze into lower categories as a car at to top of a test weight class gets an unfair advantage.

On top of this vehicle manufacturers (ALL OF THEM) game the system further with a production tolerance applied to the weights. Basically you can use up to 5% production tolerance which all manufacturers (To varying degrees, some use less than 5%) to test at the very bottom of this weight range and declare that. So on a 1500kg (real weight) you could declare 1425kg.

They also only certify the lightest vehicle which no one will buy. So if you buy an SUV with 21" wheels 1000W sound system tow bar, all the bits, all your fuel and CO2 will be based on a car with only absolute basic fit and 17" narrow profile ultra low rolling resistance wheels.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024