Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
That second half was insipid and borderline embarrasing 16:15 - Oct 22 with 9360 viewsLuk38644

No way do I agree with Mick saying we played well, I don't think we did at all... surely we have aspirations to play better than that? If you watched any other team play like that, would you really be sitting there thinking 'they played really well'... I certainly wouldn't. The first half was OK, just above average, but we weren't streets ahead of how Norwich. It was a fairly even game. Granted, we had the better chances of the half and could have been 1-0 up from McGoldrick, but that second half performance was abysmal, it lacked fight, it lacked quality, it lacked composure and we were made to pay by Maddison who was a handful all game.

I've said before that I struggle to see what our system is - What is our game plan? What's our best formation? What is our strategy to take the game to teams? I don't think we actually have one. There isn't much patient passing, we're not a counter-attacking team anymore and when we went 1-0 down, we just resorted to long balls at Waghorn. We have two centre-forwards filling the wide positions, one who has a lack of pace and plays better through the middle and we have a midfield three with no real attacking impetus. Norwich weren't phenomenal but the reason they won today is due to their structure and system. They played the same formation they have for the last 8 games, their players knew their roles, they knew the ability of the players around them, they knew which runs were being made, who was making them, and that opened us up one too many times. I hate talking positively about them, I really do, but their attacking midfield 3 behind Jerome were exceptional. After 5 seasons, why hasn't Mick adopted an approach and stuck with it? That's what we need, some bloody consistency in our approach. I get the whole 'Mick has a crap budget' argument but surely we can play better football with what we've got? Webster, Spence, Skuse, Adeyemi, Nydam, Waghorn, McG, Garner, Celina, Downes, Huws etc; These players aren't a bunch of sloggers, these players can actually keep the ball and play football, so why the hell don't we encourage it more often? I'm so f*cking bored of this 'dogged and turgid' approach. Fair enough when we needed to avoid relegation, but we've now gone 5 years without really building anything.

Norwich came and did what they had to do - Calm the game down, play their own game, keep us out at the back and nick a goal. They may not have been Barcelona but they've beaten us again and they've got 3 points away from home. It made me so p*ssed off watching them celebrate on the boxes and then after the game and I hope there will be a day soon that will be us at Carrow Road, but with the current direction of the club from the top down, I just can't see it.

Spence got torn a new one today. I've been championing him over Iorfa for a few weeks but blimey, who could have predicted he would have been that bad? Gave possession away consistently, kept getting over-run, backed off too far, missed tackles... the whole lot went wrong. I kind of felt sorry for him because he had absolutely no support when they were 2vs1. Why isn't Mick or one of the 'seasoned pros' taking responsibility and helping him out or changing things. He had Waghorn in front of him who wasn't getting back (he isn't a winger so why would he?) so that's when one of the three central midfielders need to get their a*s across to his side and help him out. Alas, they didn't and that's exactly where Norwich goal come from. Run down the wing, cut it back to Madison, acres of space and he picks his spot. Simple, too simple.

It's just so frustrating and not just because we lost today, not just because we've lost 7 of our last 9, but I just can't see where the turning point is if there is one? The atmosphere was very flat at times today, especially after they scored, and I would put it down to our fans being resigned to losing, we just didn't look like we'd muster one shot on target, let alone an equaliser. That second half performance was insipid, uninspiring and it's probably very reactionary but borderline embarrassing. At what point does it change, do we carry on with Mick hoping something clicks even though it hasn't for 5 years? I have my criticisms of Mick, those being he's reactionary not pro-active, we are scared to take the game to teams and we play crap football.

Feel free to say I'm being OTT, I'm upset and just being reactionary but I genuinely don't see where we go in the future. It can't carry on like this. I don't know the answer, I don't think many of us fans do know the answer, but I bloody hope someone at the club does because we're rotting away season on season.
That second half was insipid and borderline embarrasing on 16:33 - Oct 22 with 7665 viewsHARRY10

"but I genuinely don't see where we go in the future."

That's the real concern. Today the width of a post and Didz having a head like a thrup'nny bit were enough to seal our fate.

We should be living to fight another day, but we are not. Six points out of the last 24 is certainly a concern. That is not a blip, but continuous failing.

There were nearly 10,000 extra fans at PR today. How many of them will be back against Cardiff ? How many of us can see any real change or improvement at the club ? How many can see any change of tactics either ?

What is Evans target ? To just let the club drift, stuck like some patient in a coma trusting that someday it will 'cure' itself and get up off the bed and walk into the PL ? Not on this seasons showing it won't

We deserve better.
That second half was insipid and borderline embarrasing on 16:46 - Oct 22 with 7601 viewspointofblue

I said before the game, the difference between Farke and McCarthy is that the former saw the issues that he had in his side and changed tactically and approach wise to improve Norwich's chances. The latter has overseen approaching three years of stagnation and nothing has changed. Take today's second half performance and compare it with what happened in both games against Lincoln, which was nine months ago - could anyone spot the difference in our approach? I certainly couldn't.

Einstein defined insanity is doing the same thing over and over again expecting different results. You don't need Einstein to sum up this club at the moment.

Poll: Who would you play at right centre back on Saturday?

That second half was insipid and borderline embarrasing on 16:48 - Oct 22 with 7584 viewsJ2BLUE

From the perspective of watching on tv, after the goal went in it felt like game over. It never felt like we would get the goal.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

That second half was insipid and borderline embarrasing on 16:55 - Oct 22 with 7536 viewsFrowsyArmLarry

The turning point will come as soon as we ditch Dinomick
That second half was insipid and borderline embarrasing on 17:00 - Oct 22 with 7491 viewsLuk38644

That second half was insipid and borderline embarrasing on 16:33 - Oct 22 by HARRY10

"but I genuinely don't see where we go in the future."

That's the real concern. Today the width of a post and Didz having a head like a thrup'nny bit were enough to seal our fate.

We should be living to fight another day, but we are not. Six points out of the last 24 is certainly a concern. That is not a blip, but continuous failing.

There were nearly 10,000 extra fans at PR today. How many of them will be back against Cardiff ? How many of us can see any real change or improvement at the club ? How many can see any change of tactics either ?

What is Evans target ? To just let the club drift, stuck like some patient in a coma trusting that someday it will 'cure' itself and get up off the bed and walk into the PL ? Not on this seasons showing it won't

We deserve better.

We'll be back down to 14k next home game, plodding along in mid-table and every season falling behind. Something has got to give soon.
That second half was insipid and borderline embarrasing on 17:01 - Oct 22 with 7481 viewspointofblue

That second half was insipid and borderline embarrasing on 17:00 - Oct 22 by Luk38644

We'll be back down to 14k next home game, plodding along in mid-table and every season falling behind. Something has got to give soon.

Someone said it earlier, I can't remember who but it was on here, we need to take a risk of going to Hell so we can get out of Purgatory.

That second half was insipid and borderline embarrasing on 17:01 - Oct 22 with 7476 viewsHarry_Palmer

Good post. Unfortunately I agree with pretty much every word.
That second half was insipid and borderline embarrasing on 17:03 - Oct 22 with 7461 viewsLuk38644

That second half was insipid and borderline embarrasing on 17:01 - Oct 22 by pointofblue

Someone said it earlier, I can't remember who but it was on here, we need to take a risk of going to Hell so we can get out of Purgatory.

A good analogy that, although I do think that if we went down, we'd be one of the clubs who wouldn't find their way back up.
Login to get fewer ads

That second half was insipid and borderline embarrasing on 17:06 - Oct 22 with 7425 viewspointofblue

That second half was insipid and borderline embarrasing on 17:03 - Oct 22 by Luk38644

A good analogy that, although I do think that if we went down, we'd be one of the clubs who wouldn't find their way back up.

I agree - I think we'll be an Oldham or Swindon rather than a Manchester City or Southampton. Unless Marcus Evans decides enough is enough and spends big down there/sells for pittance and... no, that's never going to happen.

That second half was insipid and borderline embarrasing on 17:23 - Oct 22 with 7334 viewsstrikalite

That second half was insipid and borderline embarrasing on 17:01 - Oct 22 by Harry_Palmer

Good post. Unfortunately I agree with pretty much every word.

Yes it was a very good post and the truth hurts us all, we have so little composure about us in areas of the field that matters, Celina has nice feet and a swagger about him, boy did we miss a Tom Lawrence today, someone confident to take ball and make things happen...

Fighting for second balls at this level is embarrassing, hopeful loose stuff trying to force them to make errors seemed to be our game plan, nothing calm about us....

I too don't know where we go, I've wanted change for a long time, someone with new fresh ideas...

Good post Luke..
That second half was insipid and borderline embarrasing on 18:44 - Oct 22 with 7169 viewsLuk38644

That second half was insipid and borderline embarrasing on 17:23 - Oct 22 by strikalite

Yes it was a very good post and the truth hurts us all, we have so little composure about us in areas of the field that matters, Celina has nice feet and a swagger about him, boy did we miss a Tom Lawrence today, someone confident to take ball and make things happen...

Fighting for second balls at this level is embarrassing, hopeful loose stuff trying to force them to make errors seemed to be our game plan, nothing calm about us....

I too don't know where we go, I've wanted change for a long time, someone with new fresh ideas...

Good post Luke..

5 years is a long time for Mick to put something in place regardless of budget and it seems there is nothing there but a mini-rebuild every summer and then hope we scrape the top 6. If there was some light at the end of the tunnel, I think most fans would remain patient.
That second half was insipid and borderline embarrasing on 19:24 - Oct 22 with 7101 views3_5_2

Spot on Luke. Agree with pretty much all of this and the worry is I can't see how it is going to change Needs money in, whether that's with Mick or new blood is a long standing debate though I have to say I'm getting very pished off with our tactical ineptitude and general negativity.

Mick Mills made a good point, we had possibly the best 11 players out there today ( I would like to have seen Grant Ward at his best play but he appears to be lacking confidence) but we had Waggy playing wide right, Didz wide left so 2 of our front three out of position. Garner does really well for his size but their CB was huge and he won very little of quality.

The back 4 is ok at this level but with the RB position still, in my view, not sorted. Spence was awful today but as you say, possibly because of Waggy playing wide right. We have the Everton lad who has played for England at u21 at RB seemingly 3rd choice.

Much as I hate every NCFC player what I would give for a Wes Hoolahan plus playing people in their correct positions to a recognized system

Totally agree about our tactics. I have no idea what what they are at times other than " setting up not lose"

Well that's not working is it!

Hindsight is always 20:20
Poll: Which system should we play?

That second half was insipid and borderline embarrasing on 19:47 - Oct 22 with 7038 viewsHARRY10

That second half was insipid and borderline embarrasing on 18:44 - Oct 22 by Luk38644

5 years is a long time for Mick to put something in place regardless of budget and it seems there is nothing there but a mini-rebuild every summer and then hope we scrape the top 6. If there was some light at the end of the tunnel, I think most fans would remain patient.

I don't think ot is even a rebuilt. Merely a sdesperate patching up with a few buckets put down where the water comes in.

He's signed over 80 players since being here. Almost all are names long forgotten.

Are there many youngsters who have come through under MM's guidance. Has there been any real excitement, bar the PO semi finals where those ***** from up the road beat us ?

Just drifting along, bailing out the water and hoping we might get a puff of wind to blow us a long a bit
That second half was insipid and borderline embarrasing on 19:50 - Oct 22 with 7012 viewsericclacton

Spot on absolutely spot on, post of the season.

That second half was insipid and borderline embarrasing on 19:59 - Oct 22 with 6965 viewsHarry_Palmer

That second half was insipid and borderline embarrasing on 17:23 - Oct 22 by strikalite

Good post Luke..

Exactly, we need a change now, it has just gone so stale that I can't see any way back under MM.

Agree about fighting for second balls and playing percentages, this is how we played against them in the play-offs two years ago when they had a much stronger side and today we approached it in exactly the same turgid way.

After all the bull from MM at the start of the season about playing better football and here we are hitting aimless long balls again as soon as we go behind.

It is tedious beyond belief to watch, it really is.
That second half was insipid and borderline embarrasing on 20:02 - Oct 22 with 6943 viewsSwansea_Blue

That second half was insipid and borderline embarrasing on 16:46 - Oct 22 by pointofblue

I said before the game, the difference between Farke and McCarthy is that the former saw the issues that he had in his side and changed tactically and approach wise to improve Norwich's chances. The latter has overseen approaching three years of stagnation and nothing has changed. Take today's second half performance and compare it with what happened in both games against Lincoln, which was nine months ago - could anyone spot the difference in our approach? I certainly couldn't.

Einstein defined insanity is doing the same thing over and over again expecting different results. You don't need Einstein to sum up this club at the moment.

Einstein would be a relatively good appointment. He'd have a better theory of how we can better use space, and about time too!

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

That second half was insipid and borderline embarrasing on 20:18 - Oct 22 with 6881 viewsstrikalite

That second half was insipid and borderline embarrasing on 19:59 - Oct 22 by Harry_Palmer

Exactly, we need a change now, it has just gone so stale that I can't see any way back under MM.

Agree about fighting for second balls and playing percentages, this is how we played against them in the play-offs two years ago when they had a much stronger side and today we approached it in exactly the same turgid way.

After all the bull from MM at the start of the season about playing better football and here we are hitting aimless long balls again as soon as we go behind.

It is tedious beyond belief to watch, it really is.

You think how many players he's used in his time here, yet we still persist with this panic third pass hopeful punt to nobody in particular, I wonder if some simply care to quickly forget this or pretend it will all suddenly get better or something with a couple of new faces here and there, but it doesn't, it's his bloody game plan to try to compete by turning into a battle...and good ball players run rings around guys who just want to battle..
That second half was insipid and borderline embarrasing on 21:24 - Oct 22 with 6685 viewsThe_Romford_Blue

I can't see it getting any better.

Mick has to part ways with us at the end of the year - just to stop numbers slipping even more.

But then a new guy will come in, someone in the same vein of a mick/Jewell CV. I hope it's a more fun version of mick but I fear it'll be one that sends us into league 1.

Fück off Evans

Poll: Would we sell out our allocation for Wembley for a PJ Trophy final?

That second half was insipid and borderline embarrasing on 22:20 - Oct 22 with 6546 viewsm14_blue

That second half was insipid and borderline embarrasing on 16:48 - Oct 22 by J2BLUE

From the perspective of watching on tv, after the goal went in it felt like game over. It never felt like we would get the goal.

Our (lack of) response to going behind was the biggest disappointment for me.

I was braced for the time wasting and gamesmanship that we had been warned to expect from Norwich but they didn't even bother, it was painfully obvious we weren't going to score.
That second half was insipid and borderline embarrasing on 22:41 - Oct 22 with 6466 viewsSenatorBlue

Spot on!
That second half was insipid and borderline embarrasing on 22:43 - Oct 22 with 6457 views3_5_2

That second half was insipid and borderline embarrasing on 21:24 - Oct 22 by The_Romford_Blue

I can't see it getting any better.

Mick has to part ways with us at the end of the year - just to stop numbers slipping even more.

But then a new guy will come in, someone in the same vein of a mick/Jewell CV. I hope it's a more fun version of mick but I fear it'll be one that sends us into league 1.

Fück off Evans

If MM should leave at the end of the season my money is on "another safe pair of hands" like Nigel Pearson or some other dinosaur

A manager willing to set up to win would a start

Hindsight is always 20:20
Poll: Which system should we play?

That second half was insipid and borderline embarrasing on 22:56 - Oct 22 with 6419 viewsMach_foreignBlue

100% excellent post Luk.

Some will be still polishing the turd and saying that their Super Mick has improved us this season.
That second half was insipid and borderline embarrasing on 13:33 - Oct 23 with 6103 viewsLuk38644

That second half was insipid and borderline embarrasing on 22:43 - Oct 22 by 3_5_2

If MM should leave at the end of the season my money is on "another safe pair of hands" like Nigel Pearson or some other dinosaur

A manager willing to set up to win would a start

I think this is the best opportunity the club has had for a while to take bit of a punt.

We are fairly stable, the squad is decent and has a smattering of youngsters coming through. Get a young manager in the mix with some fresh ideas and go from there.
That second half was insipid and borderline embarrasing on 13:53 - Oct 23 with 6053 viewsStenvict

That second half was insipid and borderline embarrasing on 13:33 - Oct 23 by Luk38644

I think this is the best opportunity the club has had for a while to take bit of a punt.

We are fairly stable, the squad is decent and has a smattering of youngsters coming through. Get a young manager in the mix with some fresh ideas and go from there.

On the way home after the game yesterday, I found myself wondering, "what if we had replaced MM with that chap from Venlo?" If you have someone like MM, you're always gonna be going after experienced Championship players, whereas when you bring in a coach from a foreign country, they're likely to know a few gems from that country. I hate to say it but it looks like Norwich's approach could well work out for them.

Poll: What will be announced first?

That second half was insipid and borderline embarrasing on 04:06 - Oct 25 with 5826 viewstextbackup

That second half was insipid and borderline embarrasing on 13:53 - Oct 23 by Stenvict

On the way home after the game yesterday, I found myself wondering, "what if we had replaced MM with that chap from Venlo?" If you have someone like MM, you're always gonna be going after experienced Championship players, whereas when you bring in a coach from a foreign country, they're likely to know a few gems from that country. I hate to say it but it looks like Norwich's approach could well work out for them.

he who dares, wins.

they are a forward thinking club now, not happy to just sit on arses and accept mediocre championship football. they aren't just happy to yoyo between the two leagues, they want to actually achieve something. where as our fanbase seem fcking terrified that once super mick leaves that the club will fold and we'll never attract another manager.... he has tricked you all into thinking he is the be all and end all, he really isn't. he had a great season with us (where he failed to win a must win game at Blackburn away, then failed to get us to a Wembley final over two legs)

hes failed in pretty much every "big" game we've faced. he can no longer inspire this club, nobody fcking cares about his interviews (before or after a match) his dull recycled jokes and quotes are just exactly that.

hes never had a plan

I see the same people blaming evans (whilst hes not blameless) what sort of manager just accepts a poor level of funding? one that has no ambition, no drive, no idea, one that is happy plodding along. MM wont rock the ME boat and vice versa. the only soppy tw.ats that suffer are us.

I see the likes of archer, herbivore, all seemingly upset at fans that just cant take this anymore, its incredible the lack of passion you have for the club, and you try and mock those of us that do.

the club is going to the dogs, but I guess feeling all superfan on an internet message board gives you a great sense of achievement

We’ll be good again... one day
Poll: How many home games do you get to a season

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024