Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
The Warky Report: Scum (h) 19:26 - Oct 22 with 4907 viewsWarkystache

Terry's selling the shop. I've written this about twenty times, in detail, and have deleted every one. All seemed to make light of it. The fact remains that his newsagent premises is being put on the market next month and he has given his staff (Paula) and newspaper boys notice that he intends to cease trading by Christmas.

One of the chapters in "Brideshead Revisited" by Waugh is entitled 'A blow upon a bruise'. I went to Portman Road today, sober, chastened by a late night out last night and the above news. I couldn't get my papers and fags from Tel today, because he wasn't open. True, I also didn't get the usual pessimism about our chances of doing the scum for the first time in years. It was missed.

Usually in these reports, I give you a flavour of the week leading up to the game. A bit of a taste of my week. Well, the flavour of this week has been knacker juice, combined with off milk and that stuff you take when you've got constipation. I can't even be arsed telling you about the endless drives up to Birmingham, the office Bluenoses' fans gloating and the Villa fans confident they've turned a corner. They're all secret Nodge supporters (one depressingly even said "they'll do you on Sunday") and c*nts. Grade A ones.

So back to Tel. I saw him on Tuesday evening. He invited me down the pub for a chat. We sat, supping draught San Miguel, at a table, while he imparted the shock. He and the wife "'ave 'ad a heart to 'eart, like" and decided, as they're not getting any younger and Mrs Tel's dad probably won't see out next week, and his home in Gants Hill is on the market for £600k and they've got a potential buyer already, they want to move to Spain and possibly open a shop over there. He did a brief appraisal of the finances on a beermat with a chewed Bic he found in his jacket pocket. They were looking at properties. It was cheaper. They'd get £200k each, Mrs Tel and her brother, after inheritance taxes. They'd rent their bungalow out for £700 a month furnished. They had no mortgage. They'd sell the shop (which they own outright) for £165k.

Mrs Tel's father won't last much longer. Tel said "Long story innit, but basiclee, 'e's not gonna recover from the stroke and 'e's unconscious. They reckon 'is 'eart's on it's last legs and they've prepared us for the worst". Tel went on about him and the wife loving Spain "Iss like an 'ome from 'ome for the missus and me, we 'ate the cold and we've always said we'd love to go there perm'nent like".

Things moved quickly by Thursday. Tel was in the shop. He'd taken Mrs Tel to the hospital on Wednesday and the doctor there told all of them that her father wasn't expected to live beyond the weekend. He'd suffered a 'big' heart attack and was temporarily put on ICT ward to stabilise him. The stroke was likely to recur, the next one would probably be fatal.

By Friday, he had contacted his solicitor. By Saturday, he met me at the door of the shop and invited me into the back bit. He told me he was selling the shop. He gave me his bet for the weekend. I wandered out to the retail part and bought papers, fags and milk in a daze. The end of an era is in sight.

So to today. I hate this game. I was almost not bothered about going. That's shameful. An Ipswich supporter who doesn't attend the biggest game of our season? Shame on them. I hoped we'd play better than of late. I hoped all the furore; the parking queues, the sound of scum fans in my town, the police roadblocks, the bittersweet hopes that Didzy plays like Messi and Celina scores a brace of worldies and a last minute dribble round the keeper, and Man City let us buy him for £200k in January, and Chambers hands Oliviera his arse back from the stanchions of the Co-op where he's kicked it, and Nydom makes Hoolahan look like the thirty-something knackered old has-been we all hope he's become.

And, first half aside, when we played with intensity and poor finishing ability, and could have been three up and weren't, we were f*cking lacklustre. Any anger the players felt after those comments from Oliveira was snuffed like a fag butt in a puddle. And lo, the scum fans crowed and laughed and celebrated all the way back to Swaffham, or whatever backwards county town of Norfolk they'd unhinged their six fingers from.

Didzy walked. F*cking WALKED. He'd been moaning about not getting a new contract in the media during the week. Good way to show 'em you deserve it, Dave. Spence did his best Iorfa impression. Waghorn took all the corners and freekicks and started playing at the back at one part of the second half. WTF? Mick introduced Celina with ten minutes left. We'd been crying out for him all second half. The ref booked anyone in Blue who showed even the slightest urgency to win the ball.

The flare in the lower SBR before the game brought tears to the eyes. The second half performance brought more. The knowledge that we'd been suckered by the scum, and their fans were lovin' it, the apathy, the carelessness, the slow death of hope yet again, they all combined. I got the frig out of it on 90 mins. Seventeen minutes' driving brought me back home. A twenty-minute walk brought me to a pub. I sank alcohol and watched Spurs do Liverpool.

Still angry. It's the anger that gives me hope now. Surely we're not going to put up with this much more? Surely the anger will spread? We need another plan, 'cos this ain't working. It hasn't worked much ever. And all the while I see fans become disillusioned, and us stagnating, and the scum taking over our town and gleefully nicking the points without too much sweat, and the hope dying yet again, the more I think we need major changes. From the owner to the manager. For f*cks sake, give us something to be proud of.

Might give it a rest for a bit. Enjoy folks

Warky xxx

Poll: If we were guaranteed promotion next season, how would you celebrate?
Blog: [Blog] It's Time the Club Pushed On

The Warky Report: Scum (h) on 19:31 - Oct 22 with 4840 viewsLuk38644

'From the owner to the manager. For f*cks sake, give us something to be proud of. '

I think that's the sentiment we all share Warky - Good to see you again today pal, but sh*t we didn't beat those b*stards yet again... maybe next time, although, probably not.
The Warky Report: Scum (h) on 19:37 - Oct 22 with 4794 viewsGuthrum

Well said. Even as an optimist I'm getting really cheesed off. Every apparently positive development turning to dust.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

The Warky Report: Scum (h) on 20:07 - Oct 22 with 4639 viewsstrikalite

Great stuff Warky...the first time I've been cheerful all friggin day..
The Warky Report: Scum (h) on 20:32 - Oct 22 with 4554 viewsPinewoodblue

Good report lots of information we didn't know before hand but sadly none of that related to the football club.

Fans were rightfully anticipating more of the same in the second half but with a better final product. Don't think Norwich played any better after the brak but Town were certainly poorer, lacking direction/ motivation.

Mick says he was pleased with the performance but you have to ask who he was aiming those comments at, suspect it was directed more to the owner than the fans.

We are where we are in the table due to a better than expected start, the form table doesn't lie we are yet again heading in the wrong direction, we will be down to 15th by the next international break.

Can't remember when Mick last said he cared about the club. Seems more interested in seeing out the season.

2023 year of destiny
Poll: Dickhead "Noun" a stupid, irritating, or ridiculous man.

The Warky Report: Scum (h) on 20:46 - Oct 22 with 4484 viewsvapour_trail

Keep on keeping on warky.

Appreciated the Waugh reference. Here's a similar sentiment from carter the unstoppable sex machine, that feels appropriate today.

Trailing vapour since 1999.
Poll: Should Gav and Phil limiti the number of polls?

The Warky Report: Scum (h) on 20:48 - Oct 22 with 4453 viewsjeera

Did you see Dolly today Tashers?

How's he doing?
[Post edited 22 Oct 2017 20:49]

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

The Warky Report: Scum (h) on 21:13 - Oct 22 with 4329 viewsThe_Romford_Blue

The Warky Report: Scum (h) on 19:37 - Oct 22 by Guthrum

Well said. Even as an optimist I'm getting really cheesed off. Every apparently positive development turning to dust.

Indeed

The positive me has said from the start that the best we can hope for is 8th-10th with flirtation of the playoffs

But let's be honest, it's another year of nothingness. A year of mid table boredom.

As a side note, I've got an interview next week at West Ham. If I was to get the job, i expect that means working Saturdays. Would have to make a big decision should it come to it. Another year of Town in the chanpionship slugging out games with the likes of Preston doesn't exactly have me gagging for it. I've already decided to start saving for Cheltenham in march and so am sacrificing a few away days such as Bolton that I'd planned.

My optimism fades.

Town will probably need to part with mick at the end of the season. Fair enough. I wish him well. But I expect little in the way of results to change. We are just a dull boring championship team.
[Post edited 22 Oct 2017 21:18]

Poll: Would we sell out our allocation for Wembley for a PJ Trophy final?

The Warky Report: Scum (h) on 21:49 - Oct 22 with 4232 viewsWarkystache

The Warky Report: Scum (h) on 20:48 - Oct 22 by jeera

Did you see Dolly today Tashers?

How's he doing?
[Post edited 22 Oct 2017 20:49]

Yep - he looked okay, said hello and that. Looked disappointed at the end.

I also gave Benters a ciggie.

Poll: If we were guaranteed promotion next season, how would you celebrate?
Blog: [Blog] It's Time the Club Pushed On

Login to get fewer ads

The Warky Report: Scum (h) on 08:14 - Oct 23 with 3904 viewsBrixtonBlue

The Warky Report: Scum (h) on 21:49 - Oct 22 by Warkystache

Yep - he looked okay, said hello and that. Looked disappointed at the end.

I also gave Benters a ciggie.

Hang on a minute. Benters, the guy recovering from cancer, smokes?!?!

I bet Bloots will downarrow this.
Poll: If you work in an office, when are you off over Christmas (not booked holiday)?

on 11:45 - Oct 23 with 3744 views_

The Warky Report: Scum (h) on 08:14 - Oct 23 by BrixtonBlue

Hang on a minute. Benters, the guy recovering from cancer, smokes?!?!

The Warky Report: Scum (h) on 11:46 - Oct 23 with 3736 viewsvapour_trail

on 11:45 - Oct 23 by _

*reports abuse*

Trailing vapour since 1999.
Poll: Should Gav and Phil limiti the number of polls?

on 11:49 - Oct 23 with 3721 views_

The Warky Report: Scum (h) on 11:46 - Oct 23 by vapour_trail

*reports abuse*

The Warky Report: Scum (h) on 15:18 - Oct 23 with 3520 viewsBrixtonBlue

on 11:45 - Oct 23 by _

I obviously wish him nothing but fine health too, but yes, it did strike me as odd. If there's one thing that would motivate me to give up smoking it's a bout of throat cancer.

I bet Bloots will downarrow this.
Poll: If you work in an office, when are you off over Christmas (not booked holiday)?

on 15:20 - Oct 23 with 3507 views_

The Warky Report: Scum (h) on 15:18 - Oct 23 by BrixtonBlue

I obviously wish him nothing but fine health too, but yes, it did strike me as odd. If there's one thing that would motivate me to give up smoking it's a bout of throat cancer.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024