Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Marcus Evans and our debt 07:56 - Oct 23 with 17853 viewsTLA

Some Norwich fans yesterday asked why we weren't protesting every week against Marcus Evans and it made me think a bit.

We do seem grateful and I guess he stepped in when we were in a really bad way and injected some cash.

I know that he bought about £35m of debt for £8m and the rest was written off. I also know that he can't sell that £27m of written off debt on.

What I don't know is if he can sell all of the debt loaded since then. He invested £12m initially into transfer funds and the money the ME Group put in each year (to balance the books) is loaded on to our debt to the company, rather than a personal investment.

Can he sell the new debt on? If so, that would require someone to buy £70-80m of his debt before considering what other money they need to invest. With no assets, it doesn't make us an attractive purchase.

If this is correct, he's in a no lose situation really. If he can keep the debt to ME Group stable with player sales (as in recent years), he either gets it back at some point by selling the club or it doesn't go up much and he gets the advertising etc.

I doubt he would write off the debt in order to sell the club so he may as well maintain things, hope for a miracle promotion and look to sell players to keep the company investment where it is. It means there's no need for him to sell.

Or have I misunderstood it all?
Marcus Evans and our debt on 16:47 - Oct 23 with 1994 viewsPhilTWTD

Marcus Evans and our debt on 16:35 - Oct 23 by PrideOfTheEast

Norwich are very openly sounding out investment, and have been for some while. I expect this summer could see the end of Delia and co, or at least the first stages of that, assuming they don't go up.

I wasn't aware of that but doesn't surprise me. The Championship has got too rich for owners of Delia's level of wealth.
Marcus Evans and our debt on 16:52 - Oct 23 with 1971 viewsportmanking

Marcus Evans and our debt on 16:47 - Oct 23 by PhilTWTD

I wasn't aware of that but doesn't surprise me. The Championship has got too rich for owners of Delia's level of wealth.

I don't believe that's the case at all, quite the opposite in fact.

Delia has reiterated she will be passing on the reins of ownership to her nephew when she does eventually step down.
Marcus Evans and our debt on 16:56 - Oct 23 with 1960 viewshype313

Marcus Evans and our debt on 16:52 - Oct 23 by portmanking

Delia has reiterated she will be passing on the reins of ownership to her nephew when she does eventually step down.

If they don't go up this season and they find themselves in a similar situation to us financially wise then she won't be in a position to pass it on as it would become quite toxic up there. Get the impression she is more tolerated rather than loved up there, it won't take much for mutiny to hit the ranks.

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

Marcus Evans and our debt on 17:03 - Oct 23 with 1941 viewsPrideOfTheEast

Marcus Evans and our debt on 16:52 - Oct 23 by portmanking

I can assure you it is.
Marcus Evans and our debt on 17:30 - Oct 23 with 1916 viewsSpruceMoose

Marcus Evans and our debt on 16:56 - Oct 23 by hype313

If they don't go up this season and they find themselves in a similar situation to us financially wise then she won't be in a position to pass it on as it would become quite toxic up there. Get the impression she is more tolerated rather than loved up there, it won't take much for mutiny to hit the ranks.

Did you mean 'mutantcy' rather than'mutiny'? If so,I think that is already well underway.

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."
Poll: Selectamod

Marcus Evans and our debt on 17:37 - Oct 23 with 1910 viewsjas0999

Marcus Evans and our debt on 11:38 - Oct 23 by PhilTWTD

Not the first person to ask that; what's ME getting out of sticking £6m-ish in a year to remain mid-table while periodically flirting with one end of the division or the other?

Whatever happens, not really any way he's going to get it back other than after promotion given that the sums in the Premier League are so high now, and that was never really the intention. Training ground's not worth much in the overall scheme, part of it was moved between ME companies - for tax reasons - for £1.32 million a few years back.

Hasn’t Evans charged interest on the debt?
Marcus Evans and our debt on 18:54 - Oct 23 with 1860 viewsTLA

Marcus Evans and our debt on 15:39 - Oct 23 by PhilTWTD

Our financial level is well above third tier other than Blackburn and maybe one or two others, but not up to the top two-thirds of this division, I'd say. Even with a drop in revenue that relegation would bring we'd still be a very big fish in League One. However, as Sheffield United showed, being a big fish in that division is no guarantee of a quick return to this level.

If we need £6m investment outside of what we generate, which is needed to keep us in the lower third of this league, are we really well above the third tier?

My point was never to say that we would come back quickly, or that it would be good financially; just that it might be more fun in a football sense not to always have to punch above our weight just to be lower mid table.

It's what makes me think our current level isn't among the top 30 teams (like it has been for most of my life), but maybe somewhere between 35-55.
Marcus Evans and our debt on 20:22 - Oct 23 with 1803 viewsPhilTWTD

Marcus Evans and our debt on 17:37 - Oct 23 by jas0999

Hasn’t Evans charged interest on the debt?

Up until a few years ago it was added to the balance sheet, nothing ever taken out of the club, obviously.
Login to get fewer ads

Marcus Evans and our debt on 20:27 - Oct 23 with 1791 viewsPhilTWTD

Marcus Evans and our debt on 18:54 - Oct 23 by TLA

If we need £6m investment outside of what we generate, which is needed to keep us in the lower third of this league, are we really well above the third tier?

My point was never to say that we would come back quickly, or that it would be good financially; just that it might be more fun in a football sense not to always have to punch above our weight just to be lower mid table.

It's what makes me think our current level isn't among the top 30 teams (like it has been for most of my life), but maybe somewhere between 35-55.

There is a bit of a gulf between the Championship and League One these days. I agree might be fun for a year, problem is, as my Blades-supporting friend knows too well, it might not necessarily be a year!

I think you're right on the last line. Town's natural level has been either in the top flight or towards the top of the second tier for most of my lifetime. I think that's changed in the last few seasons.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024