Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Marcus Evans and our debt 07:56 - Oct 23 with 17883 viewsTLA

Some Norwich fans yesterday asked why we weren't protesting every week against Marcus Evans and it made me think a bit.

We do seem grateful and I guess he stepped in when we were in a really bad way and injected some cash.

I know that he bought about £35m of debt for £8m and the rest was written off. I also know that he can't sell that £27m of written off debt on.

What I don't know is if he can sell all of the debt loaded since then. He invested £12m initially into transfer funds and the money the ME Group put in each year (to balance the books) is loaded on to our debt to the company, rather than a personal investment.

Can he sell the new debt on? If so, that would require someone to buy £70-80m of his debt before considering what other money they need to invest. With no assets, it doesn't make us an attractive purchase.

If this is correct, he's in a no lose situation really. If he can keep the debt to ME Group stable with player sales (as in recent years), he either gets it back at some point by selling the club or it doesn't go up much and he gets the advertising etc.

I doubt he would write off the debt in order to sell the club so he may as well maintain things, hope for a miracle promotion and look to sell players to keep the company investment where it is. It means there's no need for him to sell.

Or have I misunderstood it all?
Marcus Evans and our debt on 13:09 - Oct 23 with 4802 viewsTLA

Marcus Evans and our debt on 11:38 - Oct 23 by PhilTWTD

Not the first person to ask that; what's ME getting out of sticking £6m-ish in a year to remain mid-table while periodically flirting with one end of the division or the other?

Whatever happens, not really any way he's going to get it back other than after promotion given that the sums in the Premier League are so high now, and that was never really the intention. Training ground's not worth much in the overall scheme, part of it was moved between ME companies - for tax reasons - for £1.32 million a few years back.

It's just interesting to think about what ME is thinking.

He's not personally putting the money in each year; he's adding it to the debt the club owes the ME Group (I think). Even a year in the premier League won't sort it our as all the other costs escalate. Norwich went up without debt and a few years later are not loaded (some of their fans say they're struggling).

I guess ME never speaking about his intentions doesn't help. It might be a clever tactic as fans don't have a stick to beat him with! I certainly don't believe it's a big tax break that's worthwhile and I just don't know if he (and his family) have become such big fans that he can't let it go.

I'm always pretty patient with owners and managers but we seem to be drifting a little too much without clear communication.
Marcus Evans and our debt on 13:18 - Oct 23 with 4780 viewsPhilTWTD

Marcus Evans and our debt on 13:09 - Oct 23 by TLA

It's just interesting to think about what ME is thinking.

He's not personally putting the money in each year; he's adding it to the debt the club owes the ME Group (I think). Even a year in the premier League won't sort it our as all the other costs escalate. Norwich went up without debt and a few years later are not loaded (some of their fans say they're struggling).

I guess ME never speaking about his intentions doesn't help. It might be a clever tactic as fans don't have a stick to beat him with! I certainly don't believe it's a big tax break that's worthwhile and I just don't know if he (and his family) have become such big fans that he can't let it go.

I'm always pretty patient with owners and managers but we seem to be drifting a little too much without clear communication.

He is putting the money in personally in essence. He owns the companies 'loaning' Town money which he's unlikely to ever see again. The sums in the Premier League are so huge now that it would be possible to clear the debt without reducing the budget too significantly, although that was never the intention and probably wouldn't happen in an aggressive manner.

Norwich are in a situation where their parachute payment runs out at the end of the season, at which point - if they've not been promoted - they'll be in much the same boat as us financially, although, as far as I'm aware, without anyone able to match the sort of sums ME puts in each year.

From what I gather ME's family, particularly his daughter, are big fans and I've wondered before whether that has had an impact on his continued ownership.
Marcus Evans and our debt on 13:18 - Oct 23 with 4775 viewsTLA

Marcus Evans and our debt on 12:27 - Oct 23 by dylanisabaddog

I thought it was obvious what his original intention was. Buy a £30m debt for £7m. Get promoted then pull the £30m plus interest out of the tv money.

To continually suggest that ME is deliberately making a loss for tax reasons is nonsense. Tax relief on losses is 20%.

I think ME's original intention was obvious and I also don't believe in the tax relief argument to the extent that it's worth his while.

It's just hard to understand his motivation now.

If he said 'I wanted to make some money but have now fallen in love with the club, although I'm not wealthy enough', that would be good to hear. If he said 'I'm writing off the debt and anyone can buy us for a quid' - I'd be worried about where that leads and who would see us as a good prospect but he would be giving an honest statement. Even if he said 'I've got stuck and don't know what to do' - I have a little more respect.

It's because we don't know what he thinks or wants that makes it harder to remain supportive of him and whatever he's trying to achieve. It is an unusual position for fans of a club to be in.
Marcus Evans and our debt on 13:48 - Oct 23 with 4759 viewsglasso

I know nothing about this top-level finance stuff (as I'm about to show, no doubt), but...

IF ME is using Ipswich as a tax efficiency part of his empire (our losses bring down the rest of his empire's profits, hence him not paying as much tax), then wouldn't selling the club at a loss still benefit him in that way?

i.e. if his entire business 'loses', say, £50m because our debts are written off, then doesn't that £50m come off his business' profits, therefore helping him to bring his tax down?

I'm sure I've missed something obvious there, but if making a loss is the key to all this, then surely writing off our debts and selling us on debt-free would be a great move?
Marcus Evans and our debt on 14:06 - Oct 23 with 4735 viewsSuperfrans

Marcus Evans and our debt on 13:18 - Oct 23 by PhilTWTD

He is putting the money in personally in essence. He owns the companies 'loaning' Town money which he's unlikely to ever see again. The sums in the Premier League are so huge now that it would be possible to clear the debt without reducing the budget too significantly, although that was never the intention and probably wouldn't happen in an aggressive manner.

Norwich are in a situation where their parachute payment runs out at the end of the season, at which point - if they've not been promoted - they'll be in much the same boat as us financially, although, as far as I'm aware, without anyone able to match the sort of sums ME puts in each year.

From what I gather ME's family, particularly his daughter, are big fans and I've wondered before whether that has had an impact on his continued ownership.

Very interesting if his family are big fans. That would explain his continuing commitment to the club. It can't be fun to be on the receiving end of some of the stuff that is thrown at him.

And the point re. Norwich has been flagged to me by two guys I know up there who are fairly close to the club. There's a lot of fear what might happen if they don't go up.

What has been lost in all the hand-wringing over the past 24 hours, it seems to me, is that there was very little between the two sides. It might easily have been a draw or win for us. Of course, it didn't go that way, but the gap is definitely closing between us - as it should given that they are having to cut costs in preparation for a no-parachute-payments scenario.

Of course, what has been most frustrating over the past 10-15 years is how effortless they have found promotion, while we've always had to struggle and battle to win promotion. Let's just pray they don't go up this season...

Poll: What is your voting intention on December 12?
Blog: Dear Martin Samuel...

Marcus Evans and our debt on 14:09 - Oct 23 with 4729 viewsPhilTWTD

Marcus Evans and our debt on 14:06 - Oct 23 by Superfrans

Very interesting if his family are big fans. That would explain his continuing commitment to the club. It can't be fun to be on the receiving end of some of the stuff that is thrown at him.

And the point re. Norwich has been flagged to me by two guys I know up there who are fairly close to the club. There's a lot of fear what might happen if they don't go up.

What has been lost in all the hand-wringing over the past 24 hours, it seems to me, is that there was very little between the two sides. It might easily have been a draw or win for us. Of course, it didn't go that way, but the gap is definitely closing between us - as it should given that they are having to cut costs in preparation for a no-parachute-payments scenario.

Of course, what has been most frustrating over the past 10-15 years is how effortless they have found promotion, while we've always had to struggle and battle to win promotion. Let's just pray they don't go up this season...

Indeed, their wage bill is still probably two to three times the size of ours, I would expect.
Marcus Evans and our debt on 14:17 - Oct 23 with 4716 viewsTLA

I appreciate the replies Phil. I'm not a negatively reactive fan; I'm just trying to understand our situation a little better.

It's largely the money in the Premier League that is ruining the game. Football should be competitive and if aspiring to go up for a season or hope to lose few enough games to finish 17th is the pinnacle, it's just a bit sad.

Norwich could be in a similar situation after the parachute payments end, although they would still be able to raise funds by selling players already purchased. It probably gives them a few more years of having a better budget and much less debt.

I wonder what the impact would be if ME openly said that him and his family were big Town fans and he's doing his best would be. It might make a difference to me. He doesn't have to of course, but it feels like we're in a little boat, in the middle of an ocean, with no plans to reach the shore. Show us the direction Captain Evans!
Marcus Evans and our debt on 14:24 - Oct 23 with 4712 viewsPhilTWTD

Marcus Evans and our debt on 14:17 - Oct 23 by TLA

I appreciate the replies Phil. I'm not a negatively reactive fan; I'm just trying to understand our situation a little better.

It's largely the money in the Premier League that is ruining the game. Football should be competitive and if aspiring to go up for a season or hope to lose few enough games to finish 17th is the pinnacle, it's just a bit sad.

Norwich could be in a similar situation after the parachute payments end, although they would still be able to raise funds by selling players already purchased. It probably gives them a few more years of having a better budget and much less debt.

I wonder what the impact would be if ME openly said that him and his family were big Town fans and he's doing his best would be. It might make a difference to me. He doesn't have to of course, but it feels like we're in a little boat, in the middle of an ocean, with no plans to reach the shore. Show us the direction Captain Evans!

The Premier League - and that widespread aspiration for finishing 17th - is the reason the Championship has become so distorted and to a great extent for our current position. Even back in 1991/92 there was an element of having to overcome bigger spenders - Blackburn most notably - but I don't think the disparity at this level was anything like as stark as it has been for the last two or three seasons.

If they don't go up Norwich will have to sell, they actually started the process of adjustment in the summer, so will be an interesting summer for them. They may well continue to have a bigger wage bill than us but they'll still have some players under bigger contracts. The size of the debt isn't really an issue.
Login to get fewer ads

Marcus Evans and our debt on 14:27 - Oct 23 with 4705 viewshype313

Marcus Evans and our debt on 14:24 - Oct 23 by PhilTWTD

The Premier League - and that widespread aspiration for finishing 17th - is the reason the Championship has become so distorted and to a great extent for our current position. Even back in 1991/92 there was an element of having to overcome bigger spenders - Blackburn most notably - but I don't think the disparity at this level was anything like as stark as it has been for the last two or three seasons.

If they don't go up Norwich will have to sell, they actually started the process of adjustment in the summer, so will be an interesting summer for them. They may well continue to have a bigger wage bill than us but they'll still have some players under bigger contracts. The size of the debt isn't really an issue.

Judging by their performance yesterday, I can't see huge sums coming in for many of their first teamers...

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

Marcus Evans and our debt on 14:33 - Oct 23 with 4694 viewsportmanking

Marcus Evans and our debt on 14:06 - Oct 23 by Superfrans

What exactly is being thrown at him? If you ask me, ME is getting a very easy ride by all accounts.

When ME took this role on he knew full well that football club ownership would lead to a level of accountability in the eyes of fans, but he never gives the fans or even the local press a chance to speak to him and understand his intentions. That alone is disingenuous and has led to this state of indifference that's spread throughout the terraces.

Phil - do you not find it frustrating that you've not been able to interview him personally and get to know the real Marcus Evans? From David Sheepshanks - who wore his heart on his sleeve - to this... well it just leaves me feeling very vacant about the entire club right now.
Marcus Evans and our debt on 14:37 - Oct 23 with 4678 viewsPhilTWTD

Marcus Evans and our debt on 14:27 - Oct 23 by hype313

Judging by their performance yesterday, I can't see huge sums coming in for many of their first teamers...

No, despite the result I didn't think they massively impressed other than in their ability to close out the game having gone ahead (and Sheffield United did much the same against us last week). Maddison is obviously someone who has a bigger future elsewhere and I thought the left-back made the most of the freedom he was given.

They're already making cuts to their academy as not too much coming through so it appears there are no as-yet-unsung kids to fetch fortunes in a year or so's time.
Marcus Evans and our debt on 14:37 - Oct 23 with 4675 viewsSuperfrans

Marcus Evans and our debt on 14:33 - Oct 23 by portmanking

What exactly is being thrown at him? If you ask me, ME is getting a very easy ride by all accounts.

When ME took this role on he knew full well that football club ownership would lead to a level of accountability in the eyes of fans, but he never gives the fans or even the local press a chance to speak to him and understand his intentions. That alone is disingenuous and has led to this state of indifference that's spread throughout the terraces.

Phil - do you not find it frustrating that you've not been able to interview him personally and get to know the real Marcus Evans? From David Sheepshanks - who wore his heart on his sleeve - to this... well it just leaves me feeling very vacant about the entire club right now.

None of what you have written indicates why he shouldn't dislike having chants like "get out of our club" etc - especially when he's paying £5m-£6m every year for the honour.

His personal low profile is a different matter. I don't think it helps him, but if we were challenging for promotion, nobody would care about that.

Poll: What is your voting intention on December 12?
Blog: Dear Martin Samuel...

Marcus Evans and our debt on 14:40 - Oct 23 with 4667 viewsportmanking

Marcus Evans and our debt on 14:37 - Oct 23 by Superfrans

None of what you have written indicates why he shouldn't dislike having chants like "get out of our club" etc - especially when he's paying £5m-£6m every year for the honour.

His personal low profile is a different matter. I don't think it helps him, but if we were challenging for promotion, nobody would care about that.

There is no 'honour' in what the club is achieving right now.

The 'honourable' thing would be to pass the club on to someone who can reunite the club with the town and the rest of the county once again.
Marcus Evans and our debt on 14:49 - Oct 23 with 4662 viewsPhilTWTD

Marcus Evans and our debt on 14:33 - Oct 23 by portmanking

Of course, I'd appreciate the chance to interview him, and I don't think the lack of a public profile does him any favours. Ian Milne is probably more visible and speaks to the media and at fans' events more than most other MDs or chief executives but, like Simon Clegg before him, isn't the man who makes the big decisions.
Marcus Evans and our debt on 14:51 - Oct 23 with 4657 viewshype313

Marcus Evans and our debt on 14:37 - Oct 23 by PhilTWTD

No, despite the result I didn't think they massively impressed other than in their ability to close out the game having gone ahead (and Sheffield United did much the same against us last week). Maddison is obviously someone who has a bigger future elsewhere and I thought the left-back made the most of the freedom he was given.

They're already making cuts to their academy as not too much coming through so it appears there are no as-yet-unsung kids to fetch fortunes in a year or so's time.

Maddison looks like a top top player, but behind him it's slim pickings, would imagine Jerome is on a decent whack with no resale value, Same with Hoolahan.

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

Marcus Evans and our debt on 14:54 - Oct 23 with 4651 viewsportmanking

Marcus Evans and our debt on 14:49 - Oct 23 by PhilTWTD

Of course, I'd appreciate the chance to interview him, and I don't think the lack of a public profile does him any favours. Ian Milne is probably more visible and speaks to the media and at fans' events more than most other MDs or chief executives but, like Simon Clegg before him, isn't the man who makes the big decisions.

I don't think it's being unreasonable to ask for him to speak up. Milne makes more appearances than other MDs to make up for ME's low profile, of course. But it's virtually meaningless having Milne trotting out soundbite after soundbite because, as you say, he's not the decision maker and it all means diddly squat to the average fan.

What the average fan wants to know is ME's genuine intentions and we've never truly known that from Day 1 of his reign. All of the 'promotion at the earliest possible opportunity' guff was just naivety and, in fact, naive would be the perfect word to describe Evans' entire spell at the club.
Marcus Evans and our debt on 14:55 - Oct 23 with 4644 viewsTLA

Marcus Evans and our debt on 14:24 - Oct 23 by PhilTWTD

I think the debt is an issue unless ME says outright that he'll write it off when/if he sells. We're just not an attractive proposition without property, assets and with ever-growing debt (which contributes to annual losses).

I think Norwich do need to go up this year but they might be able to sell a few players, reduce the wage bill and raise quite a lot of money. In the current market, someone would pay more than £10m for Maddison. They might struggle to get some big earners off the books without letting them go for nothing, but I think they have another year or two of being competitive at this level.

They also took a chance on a complete change throughout the club - it might not work but maybe the time is getting close for us to do similar.
Marcus Evans and our debt on 15:06 - Oct 23 with 4626 viewsPhilTWTD

Marcus Evans and our debt on 14:55 - Oct 23 by TLA

I think the debt is an issue unless ME says outright that he'll write it off when/if he sells. We're just not an attractive proposition without property, assets and with ever-growing debt (which contributes to annual losses).

I think Norwich do need to go up this year but they might be able to sell a few players, reduce the wage bill and raise quite a lot of money. In the current market, someone would pay more than £10m for Maddison. They might struggle to get some big earners off the books without letting them go for nothing, but I think they have another year or two of being competitive at this level.

They also took a chance on a complete change throughout the club - it might not work but maybe the time is getting close for us to do similar.

I think any prospective new owner would realise that the club is going to have an increasing debt as the annual losses are covered. Clubs at Championship level don't break even now. If we did we'd be relegated. I don't see the debt as an issue, if it was owed to an outside agency then that would be different.
Marcus Evans and our debt on 15:07 - Oct 23 with 4617 viewsSpruceMoose

Marcus Evans and our debt on 15:06 - Oct 23 by PhilTWTD

I think any prospective new owner would realise that the club is going to have an increasing debt as the annual losses are covered. Clubs at Championship level don't break even now. If we did we'd be relegated. I don't see the debt as an issue, if it was owed to an outside agency then that would be different.

We don't break even!? Even with the likes of Elton John coming to town!?
[Post edited 23 Oct 2017 15:09]

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."
Poll: Selectamod

Marcus Evans and our debt on 15:09 - Oct 23 with 4604 viewsWeWereZombies

Marcus Evans and our debt on 14:51 - Oct 23 by hype313

Maddison looks like a top top player, but behind him it's slim pickings, would imagine Jerome is on a decent whack with no resale value, Same with Hoolahan.

Trybull looks decent for a player new to the Championship and might attract one of the teams near the bottom of the Premier League - after all wikipedia describes him as a 'legendary German footballer', nice to see someone's mum do the write up, isn't it?

They paid seven million for Wildsh1t so I guess they should be able to recoup some of that.

Poll: How will we get fourteen points from the last five games ?

Marcus Evans and our debt on 15:18 - Oct 23 with 4580 viewsMullet

The problem with "protest" in any form is Evans has shown no matter what your views it counts for nothing.

Magilton didn't go when a few got their bedsheet out, Keane didn't, Jewell really didn't and Mick didn't. Evans will only change insomuch as he will eventually sack Milne, not renew MM and get in someone similar but likely not as good.

We're really left with playing Russian roulette with managers post-Mick, assuming form doesn't pick up in the next couple of months. I suspect Evans is looking at Keiffer Moore as his January injection to the side and gift to Mick.

The kids coming through is the biggest boon, but there'll be little use to Mick in keeping his job, just a good tool for Evans to use. We're in a scenario where he will give a new welcome package to the next man, tell him he's got a top academy to utilise and hope for another 2014/15.

Evans has tried to sell the club numerous times, and the rumours keep going around so god knows if it's gone up every year, every other or constantly and no buyers. We're just not that attractive to anyone who has the means to push us on. Part geography, part dereliction, part Evans playing by the rules and the FA not enforcing them all sort of collide for me.

I'm grateful he saved the club, I'm grateful Mick then did it too. But it feels like as fans, it's not coming back to us any time soon. Even after the elation or relief of change, we're not getting the club back we're trading it for the opportunity of promotion even in the best case scenario.

Talking to City mates who no longer go since their takeover or those that don't recognise the club anymore, Leeds fans who have endured the Italians and United fans who Trotsky off to FC United there's no simple answer. Let alone one that please everyone or most fans.

I don't even hate Evans, (not that I'm the type) but I can't see what he's bringing to the table beyond life support. There's not even a moral victory in it for him let alone a monetary one. The game's moved on and he's never less than a year behind the changes. It's this or becoming like so many clubs we used to play when I first started going in the early 90's Swindon, Grimsby, Oldham, Stockport, Luton, Pompey et al.

Poll: If Cook had the full season where would we have finished?
Blog: When the Fanzine Comes Around

Marcus Evans and our debt on 15:28 - Oct 23 with 4557 viewsTLA

Marcus Evans and our debt on 15:06 - Oct 23 by PhilTWTD

I think that's the thing - if our financial level is the third tier, maybe that's the place to play in.

We're suspended between not being able to compete where we want to be and not wanting to drop beneath that level. Hence Mick being the right man for the job if we want to stay where we are. I've just about moved to the gamble, rather than staying where we are side of the fence.
Marcus Evans and our debt on 15:39 - Oct 23 with 4536 viewsPhilTWTD

Marcus Evans and our debt on 15:28 - Oct 23 by TLA

I think that's the thing - if our financial level is the third tier, maybe that's the place to play in.

We're suspended between not being able to compete where we want to be and not wanting to drop beneath that level. Hence Mick being the right man for the job if we want to stay where we are. I've just about moved to the gamble, rather than staying where we are side of the fence.

Our financial level is well above third tier other than Blackburn and maybe one or two others, but not up to the top two-thirds of this division, I'd say. Even with a drop in revenue that relegation would bring we'd still be a very big fish in League One. However, as Sheffield United showed, being a big fish in that division is no guarantee of a quick return to this level.
Marcus Evans and our debt on 16:15 - Oct 23 with 4493 viewsgerard1947

I agree re Norwich. This season is very important to them, if they don’t go up they are in the mire big time. Their gates are higher than ours of course. I once roughly worked the impact of that to be about £3m pa. On the other hand they haven’t anyone like Evans to prop them up. Delia and cronies have chucked a few million in the past but nothing like we get from ME.

I would suggest they are more likely to get a new rich owner though. The fact they own their ground and have the larger crowds probably makes them a better prospect than us.
Marcus Evans and our debt on 16:35 - Oct 23 with 4477 viewsPrideOfTheEast

Marcus Evans and our debt on 16:15 - Oct 23 by gerard1947

I agree re Norwich. This season is very important to them, if they don’t go up they are in the mire big time. Their gates are higher than ours of course. I once roughly worked the impact of that to be about £3m pa. On the other hand they haven’t anyone like Evans to prop them up. Delia and cronies have chucked a few million in the past but nothing like we get from ME.

I would suggest they are more likely to get a new rich owner though. The fact they own their ground and have the larger crowds probably makes them a better prospect than us.

Norwich are very openly sounding out investment, and have been for some while. I expect this summer could see the end of Delia and co, or at least the first stages of that, assuming they don't go up.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024