Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Mike Ashley 09:02 - Oct 23 with 5572 viewshype313

As much as I think he is an odious toad, he feels he has taken Newcastle as far as he can, be that forced upon him or by the fact that he isn't willing to invest the necessary sums needed for them to compete, which makes me ask the question of our owner, he clearly is just tredding water, why doesn't he just sell up?

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

Mike Ashley on 09:10 - Oct 23 with 5539 viewsBasuco

It's called modern football, very few clubs run at a profit and unless £millions are passed to agents and many more millions are passed to players transfers do not happen and clubs go into decline. Only the mega rich owners can succeed in todays football world, and that success is only achieved by being bought in. Mike Ashley is not rich enough to make that happen at Newcastle, but if he put in 4 or 5 hundred £million in payments to agents and players he would have a top 4 side.
Mike Ashley on 10:06 - Oct 23 with 5475 viewsPendejo

Mike Ashley on 09:10 - Oct 23 by Basuco

It's called modern football, very few clubs run at a profit and unless £millions are passed to agents and many more millions are passed to players transfers do not happen and clubs go into decline. Only the mega rich owners can succeed in todays football world, and that success is only achieved by being bought in. Mike Ashley is not rich enough to make that happen at Newcastle, but if he put in 4 or 5 hundred £million in payments to agents and players he would have a top 4 side.

"Profit" is an interesting concept.

Just because a company [football club or, say, BHS type company] runs at a loss does NOT mean the owners are not making money. In the same way Google, Starbucks etc. avoid UK tax by subdividing companies and inter-charging thus reducing profit I dare say that with loans, interest, director's fees etc. Ashley is making money, and let's face it folks will only buy a company if they think they can make money... so no-one will take Newcastle off Ashley's hands unless they think they can make money.

Another example of this smoke and mirrors accounting are "not for profit" companies. The last time the National Lottery franchise was awarded by the government a certain well known billionaire with a penchant for self promotion lost out despite his proclamation that his lottery was "not for profit" but the due diligence showed that whilst Camelot was for profit their admin charges were lower and the charities got a better deal.

Boring but true... saw Mike Ashley the other day in Belgravia, he's shorter than I imagined him.

uberima fides
Poll: Start a new job tomorrow - which suit?

Mike Ashley on 10:15 - Oct 23 with 5452 viewsIpswichIrish

Living in the north east as I do and having been to St James' park I'm surprised an Arab or other mega rich billionaire like those who bought City haven't bought Newcastle. They're a more attractive proposition than City were pre takeover, and their fans are magnificent
Mike Ashley on 10:16 - Oct 23 with 5451 viewsitfcjoe

Because he doesn't want to?

He clearly enjoys owning Ipswich and thinks his plan can be a success (as it very nearly was in 14/15).

We are a bottom half Championship team with the potential to have a good season, we are bringing through youngsters and the club is doing some decent stuff in the community.

I think it needs a bit of a freshening up though but doesn't need to be totally ripped up and started again. Mick's negative attitude doesn't help, and start of the season he seemed to have turned over a new leaf but has reverted to type on and off the pitch

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Mike Ashley on 10:20 - Oct 23 with 5428 viewschicoazul

Mike Ashley on 10:15 - Oct 23 by IpswichIrish

Living in the north east as I do and having been to St James' park I'm surprised an Arab or other mega rich billionaire like those who bought City haven't bought Newcastle. They're a more attractive proposition than City were pre takeover, and their fans are magnificent

Arabic money is about to buy Newcastle.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

Mike Ashley on 10:21 - Oct 23 with 5428 viewsITFC_Forever

Mike Ashley on 10:15 - Oct 23 by IpswichIrish

That'll be why Amanda Staveley looks like she's getting involved.

P 1118, W 498, D 285, L 335, F 1699, A 1352
Blog: Confessions of a Statto - Why We Bother

Mike Ashley on 10:31 - Oct 23 with 5382 viewshype313

Mike Ashley on 10:16 - Oct 23 by itfcjoe

He clearly enjoys owning Ipswich and thinks his plan can be a success (as it very nearly was in 14/15).

We are a bottom half Championship team with the potential to have a good season, we are bringing through youngsters and the club is doing some decent stuff in the community.

I think it needs a bit of a freshening up though but doesn't need to be totally ripped up and started again. Mick's negative attitude doesn't help, and start of the season he seemed to have turned over a new leaf but has reverted to type on and off the pitch

10 years on from him taking ownership and we are no further forward, a few youngsters have been brought through, which is great, but it's not like we didn't do that pre Evans.

Mike Ashley on 10:31 - Oct 23 with 5382 viewsvapour_trail

Mike Ashley on 10:16 - Oct 23 by itfcjoe

We have become a bottom half championship club under his watch. We might yet become a top half L1 club that he enjoys owning.

We are utterly stale and must be one of the more pointless football clubs in the four divisions.

Trailing vapour since 1999.
Poll: Should Gav and Phil limiti the number of polls?

Login to get fewer ads

Mike Ashley on 10:34 - Oct 23 with 5375 viewsitfcjoe

Mike Ashley on 10:31 - Oct 23 by hype313

10 years on from him taking ownership and we are no further forward, a few youngsters have been brought through, which is great, but it's not like we didn't do that pre Evans.

I don't disagree - but it's hard to look at that in isolation without noting how much this division has changed in that time. When he bought us pumping £12m in for players looked enough to get us over the top - now there are half a dozen clubs spending that on one player

Mike Ashley on 10:35 - Oct 23 with 5371 viewsitfcjoe

Mike Ashley on 10:31 - Oct 23 by vapour_trail

We have become a bottom half championship club under his watch. We might yet become a top half L1 club that he enjoys owning.

We are utterly stale and must be one of the more pointless football clubs in the four divisions.

Again, I don't disagree - I think we are getting more right off the pitch than we have at any point in MEs reign, but ultimately if the on the pitch stuff isn't going well it doesn't really matter

Mike Ashley on 10:37 - Oct 23 with 5347 viewsportmanking

Mike Ashley on 10:34 - Oct 23 by itfcjoe

I don't disagree - but it's hard to look at that in isolation without noting how much this division has changed in that time. When he bought us pumping £12m in for players looked enough to get us over the top - now there are half a dozen clubs spending that on one player

Don't disagree that the division has changed in that time, but if you stand still and do the same every season how can one expect to make progress?

It's absolutely no coincidence that the sides most recently promoted are those who have dared to think outside of the box and develop a genuine identity and a system that we buy/develop players to fit into a la Burley years.

Any sense of identity from this MM side evaporated after that Playoff defeat.
Mike Ashley on 10:45 - Oct 23 with 5308 viewsPhilTWTD

Mike Ashley on 10:34 - Oct 23 by itfcjoe

Indeed, I'm always surprised how little the wider context of a much-changed division and the huge sums it now takes to compete is ignored, both here and by some media when Town's current position is discussed.

ME missed his chance in the first five years or so, now it would take a miracle season like Huddersfield last year to get promoted unless the budget was doubled or tripled.

That's not to say fans' frustrations aren't entirely understandable, at the end of the day people turn up every week/fortnight in the hope their side will win and at some point carry off some silverware/get promoted every now and then, which I don't think we will as things stand barring that Huddersfield scenario.
Mike Ashley on 10:51 - Oct 23 with 5258 viewshype313

Mike Ashley on 10:45 - Oct 23 by PhilTWTD

Indeed, I'm always surprised how little the wider context of a much-changed division and the huge sums it now takes to compete is ignored, both here and by some media when Town's current position is discussed.

ME missed his chance in the first five years or so, now it would take a miracle season like Huddersfield last year to get promoted unless the budget was doubled or tripled.

That's not to say fans' frustrations aren't entirely understandable, at the end of the day people turn up every week/fortnight in the hope their side will win and at some point carry off some silverware/get promoted every now and then, which I don't think we will as things stand barring that Huddersfield scenario.

The thing is Phil it's not like it was a huge surprise that clubs coming down would be receiving vast sums in parachutes, we all knew how much money was going to be involved once the TV deals were signed for the forthcoming years, it wasn't suddenly overnight that these clubs were far more powerful financially. Any business worth it's salt plans for every eventuality, the fact that they had sight of what was changing in this division gave them a heads up.

Mike Ashley on 11:03 - Oct 23 with 5240 viewsPhilTWTD

Mike Ashley on 10:51 - Oct 23 by hype313

The thing is Phil it's not like it was a huge surprise that clubs coming down would be receiving vast sums in parachutes, we all knew how much money was going to be involved once the TV deals were signed for the forthcoming years, it wasn't suddenly overnight that these clubs were far more powerful financially. Any business worth it's salt plans for every eventuality, the fact that they had sight of what was changing in this division gave them a heads up.

Without the wherewithal to match the sums being spent elsewhere, what can be done? I don't think there's much to be argued with in the overall approach of employing a tried and trusted Championship manager (whether the current one has been here too long now or his football is to everyone's taste is a side issue in the overall outlook), investing in youth, looking to recruit talent from the lower leagues/Premier League academies as per the way Freddie Sears, Grant Ward or Adam Webster were brought in, then augmenting the squad via the loan market.

I don't really see there's much alternative - in principle - if the spending power isn't there but there are no guarantees and everyone else in a similar position will be trying the same things.
Mike Ashley on 11:13 - Oct 23 with 5192 viewsTLA

Mike Ashley on 11:03 - Oct 23 by PhilTWTD

Without the wherewithal to match the sums being spent elsewhere, what can be done? I don't think there's much to be argued with in the overall approach of employing a tried and trusted Championship manager (whether the current one has been here too long now or his football is to everyone's taste is a side issue in the overall outlook), investing in youth, looking to recruit talent from the lower leagues/Premier League academies as per the way Freddie Sears, Grant Ward or Adam Webster were brought in, then augmenting the squad via the loan market.

I don't really see there's much alternative - in principle - if the spending power isn't there but there are no guarantees and everyone else in a similar position will be trying the same things.

I've had a very similar outlook for quite a while Phil.

However, and it's in no way a reaction to very recent form or another derby defeat, I'm feeling the need for change in order to enjoy football.

If we try a different approach and go down, the only thing that would bother me is the financial aspect. I don't think we would rise from the adversity and go straight back up but, if money wasn't such an issue, going to loads of new grounds and having a different experience would be better than so much mediocrity.

I'm fiercely proud of our record of continued years in the top 2 divisions, have no illusions that we'd bounce back in a year better than we are now (and understand that it would be a financial nightmare). I just wish it was about football, rather then money.

I had the joy of a bus replacement journey from Norwich to Yarmouth yesterday and (after some friendly abuse) the Norwich fans I spoke to said they loved their season in division 1 more than their premier league years shortly after. I might be moving closer to that position.
Mike Ashley on 11:15 - Oct 23 with 5189 viewsdavblue

Mike Ashley on 10:45 - Oct 23 by PhilTWTD

It's a fine line, try something different we could be in the prem or league 1. I feel like we should try something different but i don't think Evans will. Feels like we are coming to a crucial moment in our history with Mick's tenure coming to a close, do what we have been doing and not go anywhere apart from down (It's on the cards at some point)
Mike Ashley on 11:23 - Oct 23 with 5167 viewsPhilTWTD

Mike Ashley on 11:15 - Oct 23 by davblue

It's a fine line, try something different we could be in the prem or league 1. I feel like we should try something different but i don't think Evans will. Feels like we are coming to a crucial moment in our history with Mick's tenure coming to a close, do what we have been doing and not go anywhere apart from down (It's on the cards at some point)

I certainly think it's more likely that clubs in our position - established in Championship, no parachute payments, comparatively small budget - will exit the division into League One rather than the Premier League.
Mike Ashley on 11:30 - Oct 23 with 5130 viewsPhilTWTD

Mike Ashley on 11:13 - Oct 23 by TLA

However, and it's in no way a reaction to very recent form or another derby defeat, I'm feeling the need for change in order to enjoy football.

If we try a different approach and go down, the only thing that would bother me is the financial aspect. I don't think we would rise from the adversity and go straight back up but, if money wasn't such an issue, going to loads of new grounds and having a different experience would be better than so much mediocrity.

I'm fiercely proud of our record of continued years in the top 2 divisions, have no illusions that we'd bounce back in a year better than we are now (and understand that it would be a financial nightmare). I just wish it was about football, rather then money.

I had the joy of a bus replacement journey from Norwich to Yarmouth yesterday and (after some friendly abuse) the Norwich fans I spoke to said they loved their season in division 1 more than their premier league years shortly after. I might be moving closer to that position.

Yes, was deliberately not making a comment on the specifics. I expected there to be a change in the summer and was surprised there wasn't, I would guess - assuming the season doesn't end in the play-offs or what's viewed as a huge step in the right direction - the contract will be seen out and then things will change next summer. I think a change would suit all parties, the club, Mick - who I have no doubt would get another Championship club, probably one with greater resources - and fans.
Mike Ashley on 11:34 - Oct 23 with 5110 viewsSteve_M

Mike Ashley on 11:13 - Oct 23 by TLA

They loved it because they came straight back up. I suspect Sheffield United fans only really enjoyed one of their six seasons down there.

Yes, promotion gave Lambert the chance to push on for a second one but far too many clubs don't come back. With Evans in charge, and that drop in income, I tend to think we would be more likely to have Milne would be telling us all how we're doing well to be mid-table in League 1 under Gary Megson than any revival.

As I put in my earlier post though, something has to change somewhere before the club dies of boredom.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Mike Ashley on 12:55 - Oct 23 with 4977 viewsYallop

Ashley has said when he sells Newcastle he wants to buy another club. If he gets the £350-£380 mill he is after maybe he'll make Evans a decent offer for us.
Mike Ashley on 13:01 - Oct 23 with 4965 viewshype313

Mike Ashley on 12:55 - Oct 23 by Yallop

Ashley has said when he sells Newcastle he wants to buy another club. If he gets the £350-£380 mill he is after maybe he'll make Evans a decent offer for us.

As much as I'm not overly fond of our current stewardship, I really think the final nail in my supporting coffin would be Mike "Offer them half of what the gaffer has just said" Ashley.

Mike Ashley on 13:55 - Oct 23 with 4882 viewsTLA

Mike Ashley on 11:34 - Oct 23 by Steve_M

They loved it because they came straight back up. I suspect Sheffield United fans only really enjoyed one of their six seasons down there.

Yes, promotion gave Lambert the chance to push on for a second one but far too many clubs don't come back. With Evans in charge, and that drop in income, I tend to think we would be more likely to have Milne would be telling us all how we're doing well to be mid-table in League 1 under Gary Megson than any revival.

As I put in my earlier post though, something has to change somewhere before the club dies of boredom.

I would never advocate for us going down (I never want us to concede a goal or lose a game - at 1-0 down with five minutes to go, I always think I'd be unhappy with anything other than a win!).

I mentioned that the Norwich fans I spoke to yesterday said they would rather play in the third tier than the top one next season; not that they only enjoyed it while they were there (and because they came straight back up).

It's only a personal preference but, without the need for money, I would like to stand on terraces watching my team compete, rather than sitting in expensive seats watching them get hammered by teams who have a squad assembled on half a billion quid.

It's not about going down to come back stronger or becoming wealthier - it's about wanting to love football again.
Mike Ashley on 14:29 - Oct 23 with 4831 viewsTampaBayBlue

Mike Ashley on 10:06 - Oct 23 by Pendejo

"Profit" is an interesting concept.

Just because a company [football club or, say, BHS type company] runs at a loss does NOT mean the owners are not making money. In the same way Google, Starbucks etc. avoid UK tax by subdividing companies and inter-charging thus reducing profit I dare say that with loans, interest, director's fees etc. Ashley is making money, and let's face it folks will only buy a company if they think they can make money... so no-one will take Newcastle off Ashley's hands unless they think they can make money.

Another example of this smoke and mirrors accounting are "not for profit" companies. The last time the National Lottery franchise was awarded by the government a certain well known billionaire with a penchant for self promotion lost out despite his proclamation that his lottery was "not for profit" but the due diligence showed that whilst Camelot was for profit their admin charges were lower and the charities got a better deal.

Boring but true... saw Mike Ashley the other day in Belgravia, he's shorter than I imagined him.

I have often wondered about this. Just because ITFC run at a loss it doesn’t mean that Evans is not making money from it in other areas of his business.
Mike Ashley on 15:35 - Oct 23 with 4781 viewsnewcastlefan1984

Mike Ashley on 14:29 - Oct 23 by TampaBayBlue

I have often wondered about this. Just because ITFC run at a loss it doesn’t mean that Evans is not making money from it in other areas of his business.

Mike has been of us for 10 years and I am sorry to say the majority of his reign has been disastrous.

He has entrusted important decisions over player recruitment to the wrong people and we were relegated twice when Hall and Shepherd were in charge, we were in the Premier League for 16 years.

I think he needs to go and soon. He cannot take us any further. The day those Sports Direct signs are removed from St James is the day I am having a huge party in Ipswich.

The man fair play to him has admitted his failings but his apologies have come too late. He should have come out and apologised sooner.
on 15:36 - Oct 23 with 4777 views_

Mike Ashley on 15:35 - Oct 23 by newcastlefan1984

Mike has been of us for 10 years and I am sorry to say the majority of his reign has been disastrous.

He has entrusted important decisions over player recruitment to the wrong people and we were relegated twice when Hall and Shepherd were in charge, we were in the Premier League for 16 years.

I think he needs to go and soon. He cannot take us any further. The day those Sports Direct signs are removed from St James is the day I am having a huge party in Ipswich.

The man fair play to him has admitted his failings but his apologies have come too late. He should have come out and apologised sooner.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024