Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Not good at the moment 09:48 - Oct 23 with 7160 viewsitfcjoe

Not taking good chances when we get them, and when we fall behind can't break teams down when they are strangling the life out of the game.

Every game is on a knife edge and feels dependent on who scores first.

People have been saying it a while, but we do really need to try and nail down a formation and style, and preferred starting XI because this constant change doesn't seem to be helping the players and leads to poor performances from players like Spence who are asked to play a different role every week - the lop sided ness of the formation meant everyone had to be on their game and McG didn't look fit enough to play, let alone 90 minutes.

Very few positives yesterday, I thought Webster looked comfy on the left and thought Nydam put in a really mature performance.

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Not good at the moment on 10:44 - Oct 23 with 5899 viewsSomethingBlue

Have to stop playing Waghorn out wide too, he simply isn't a good enough all-round player for the role demanded and although there were a couple of bright moments from him going forward yesterday he really wasn't up to the mark at either end. If this is the way we're going then Celina has to be given a run out there — far superior player and can feel aggrieved now if he isn't given an extended chance to show it.

Blog: The Way Back From Here Will Be Long, But There is a Way

Not good at the moment on 10:48 - Oct 23 with 5883 viewsClausThomsen

The 532 we played for those 2 or so months last season seems our best shape with these players - including the injured players (Huws etc). We played it regardless of the opposition and we didn't lose until we started playing our least mobile back 3.

Thought the first half yesterday was encouraging but Mick seems to struggle to change things on the fly compared to the Norwich manager who dealt with everything after half time.

Spence didn't play that badly he was just exposed too often. Nydam looked decent regardless of age but I'd have hoiked him for Celina as soon as they scored.

That's 3 defeats in a row, 6 in 8 in the league and 7 in 9 in all competitions. Near the bottom of the form table with Sunderland and Wednesday... Away trips to Burton and Cardiff complete the month.

Edit: November is a really tough month, away to Hull, Villa and Derby with home games against Sheffield Wednesday and 8th place Preston who have a decent away record.
[Post edited 23 Oct 2017 11:00]
Not good at the moment on 10:51 - Oct 23 with 5858 viewsReuser_is_God

Not good at the moment on 10:44 - Oct 23 by SomethingBlue

Have to stop playing Waghorn out wide too, he simply isn't a good enough all-round player for the role demanded and although there were a couple of bright moments from him going forward yesterday he really wasn't up to the mark at either end. If this is the way we're going then Celina has to be given a run out there — far superior player and can feel aggrieved now if he isn't given an extended chance to show it.

Difficult for MM because 4231 is our best formation but Waghorn isn't good enough wide, you probably wouldn't drop garner for him & we're not good enough to have our top scorer sat on the bench.

That's what he gets paid for though I guess.

I'd like MM to pick the same team same system (barring injuries) for a run of games now.

Evans out
Poll: Are Burgers the new Cheese?

Not good at the moment on 10:54 - Oct 23 with 5858 viewsPhilTWTD

I like Waghorn and he's a goal threat but I just can't see how to fit him in to a starting XI, assuming McGoldrick and Garner are starters. He doesn't seem to have the legs to get up and down as he needs to, or at least needed to yesterday.

I think the early success of playing all the strikers and counter-attacking has ended up being a bit of a cul-de-sac, the injury and illness situation also playing a part. As a result we're reaching the end of October without having established a default system, something which ideally ought to be done in pre-season.
Not good at the moment on 10:55 - Oct 23 with 5834 viewsClausThomsen

Not good at the moment on 10:54 - Oct 23 by PhilTWTD

I like Waghorn and he's a goal threat but I just can't see how to fit him in to a starting XI, assuming McGoldrick and Garner are starters. He doesn't seem to have the legs to get up and down as he needs to, or at least needed to yesterday.

I think the early success of playing all the strikers and counter-attacking has ended up being a bit of a cul-de-sac, the injury and illness situation also playing a part. As a result we're reaching the end of October without having established a default system, something which ideally ought to be done in pre-season.

I think it was done in pre-season until we lost 6-1 to Charlton!
Not good at the moment on 10:56 - Oct 23 with 5829 viewsReuser_is_God

A question for Mick on Thursday Phil: Do you feel as though you know what your best XI is, if everyone were fit?

He had the chance to play the same XI that slapped Sunderland 5-2 a few weeks ago yesterday....

Evans out
Poll: Are Burgers the new Cheese?

Not good at the moment on 11:01 - Oct 23 with 5807 viewscolchesterchris

I like Mick, and wouldn't be the first to suggest he should go.

As you're more in the know than many and following on from you mentioning Nydam as a positive - do you think Mick is the right man to develop our youngsters. I know they get game time here and it's a myth that he doesn't play them. But would their development be better served by a different coaching style/approach to the game?

For me, this is the key, and if developing our youngsters whilst potentially being a mid table side is the way forward, I don't see Mick as the natural fit for that at all.

Poll: Hypothetically, we have £1M for January. What would you rather?

Not good at the moment on 11:03 - Oct 23 with 5790 viewsSteve_M

Not good at the moment on 10:56 - Oct 23 by Reuser_is_God

A question for Mick on Thursday Phil: Do you feel as though you know what your best XI is, if everyone were fit?

He had the chance to play the same XI that slapped Sunderland 5-2 a few weeks ago yesterday....

And that team would probably have been even more exposed than we were yesterday and indeed it was against Bristol City.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Login to get fewer ads

Not good at the moment on 11:06 - Oct 23 with 5770 viewsPhilTWTD

Not good at the moment on 10:56 - Oct 23 by Reuser_is_God

He'd say it's not about an XI these days, I'm sure. I think it's pretty clear he's unsure of the best system so I think it would follow he's not sure of his best XI as it stands.
Not good at the moment on 11:08 - Oct 23 with 5739 viewschicoazul

Not good at the moment on 11:06 - Oct 23 by PhilTWTD

He'd say it's not about an XI these days, I'm sure. I think it's pretty clear he's unsure of the best system so I think it would follow he's not sure of his best XI as it stands.

Ask him what he and TC are doing/going to do differently in training and preparing the team given our current run of form, as whatever they are doing at the moment is not working.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

Not good at the moment on 11:09 - Oct 23 with 5728 viewsClausThomsen

Is that acceptable in late October with "the best squad" he's had here?
Not good at the moment on 11:09 - Oct 23 with 5725 viewsSomethingBlue

Yep, exactly. For those attacking positions on the flanks and No10 you need players who are speedy and direct, and/or nimble and inventive. Norwich had a nice blend of that yesterday — Maddison so sparky, Hoolahan too once our pressing dropped off, Wildschut really not that good but quick enough to make chances. Waghorn seems a great guy and has scored some big goals already but just doesn't add any of that. Celina would.

Not good at the moment on 11:11 - Oct 23 with 5706 viewsdavblue

We had no ball carriers yesterday.

certainly after the goal they retreated and kept their shape and we just passed it without looking like we would hurt them. The team needs a couple of players who will take people on and bring them out of their position amongst other things.
Not good at the moment on 11:11 - Oct 23 with 5703 viewsJimmy86

After 5 years and undoubtedly with the best squad of players he has had in his time at town, I would suggest the fact he doesn't know his best system or team, as a result is somewhat concerning.

Mick, along with Warnock is the most experienced manager in the championship, but appears to have run out of ideas.
Not good at the moment on 11:14 - Oct 23 with 5679 viewsPhilTWTD

Not good at the moment on 11:09 - Oct 23 by ClausThomsen

Is that acceptable in late October with "the best squad" he's had here?

As per the early post, I think the early season success playing four across the front and the illness/injury situation contributed to that.
Not good at the moment on 11:19 - Oct 23 with 5640 viewsPhilTWTD

Not good at the moment on 11:09 - Oct 23 by SomethingBlue

Yep, exactly. For those attacking positions on the flanks and No10 you need players who are speedy and direct, and/or nimble and inventive. Norwich had a nice blend of that yesterday — Maddison so sparky, Hoolahan too once our pressing dropped off, Wildschut really not that good but quick enough to make chances. Waghorn seems a great guy and has scored some big goals already but just doesn't add any of that. Celina would.

I'm probably in agreement with Joe that the 4-2-3-1 is the system that makes best use of the players we've got but I also appreciate that it leaves us open, hence beating Sunderland 5-2.

Just watched the highlights from yesterday and so frustrating to have failed to take - or even test the keeper - with so many chances prior to their goal. Really poor to have spurned so many opportunities, particularly against a side which generally allows the opposition so few. That they were there for the taking and we failed to grasp the opportunity was, for me, the most frustrating thing.
Not good at the moment on 11:19 - Oct 23 with 5630 viewsClausThomsen

Not good at the moment on 11:14 - Oct 23 by PhilTWTD

As per the early post, I think the early season success playing four across the front and the illness/injury situation contributed to that.

Yeah but if everyone was fit surely he'd know what he wants to do with those players?

Don't worry, I'd be afraid to ask him as well!
Not good at the moment on 11:22 - Oct 23 with 5605 viewsSomethingBlue

Not good at the moment on 11:19 - Oct 23 by PhilTWTD

I'm probably in agreement with Joe that the 4-2-3-1 is the system that makes best use of the players we've got but I also appreciate that it leaves us open, hence beating Sunderland 5-2.

Just watched the highlights from yesterday and so frustrating to have failed to take - or even test the keeper - with so many chances prior to their goal. Really poor to have spurned so many opportunities, particularly against a side which generally allows the opposition so few. That they were there for the taking and we failed to grasp the opportunity was, for me, the most frustrating thing.

I agree too re the 4-2-3-1. My only question in that setup, really, is what happens with McGoldrick. He looked a yard off yesterday, I appreciate, and at full tilt you'd really want him in there somewhere. But can he do the kind of job Maddison did yesterday, so fluent and deft in dangerous areas but also very disciplined? When he's turning up all over the pitch I think it can hinder as much as it helps.

Not good at the moment on 11:28 - Oct 23 with 5578 viewschicoazul

Not good at the moment on 11:22 - Oct 23 by SomethingBlue

I agree too re the 4-2-3-1. My only question in that setup, really, is what happens with McGoldrick. He looked a yard off yesterday, I appreciate, and at full tilt you'd really want him in there somewhere. But can he do the kind of job Maddison did yesterday, so fluent and deft in dangerous areas but also very disciplined? When he's turning up all over the pitch I think it can hinder as much as it helps.

Look art it this way, judging from the Berra-esque comments in the recent McG news story we won't have to be concerned with fitting him in after this season.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!

Not good at the moment on 11:29 - Oct 23 with 5562 viewsSomethingBlue

Not good at the moment on 11:28 - Oct 23 by chicoazul

Look art it this way, judging from the Berra-esque comments in the recent McG news story we won't have to be concerned with fitting him in after this season.

Oh I'm sure he's off, yes — and that is yet another thing that really doesn't help us.

Not good at the moment on 11:31 - Oct 23 with 5555 viewschicoazul

Not good at the moment on 11:29 - Oct 23 by SomethingBlue

Oh I'm sure he's off, yes — and that is yet another thing that really doesn't help us.

You'd know more about this than most would but hearing you say it just makes me more depressed so thanks. Our best player walking out the door for nothing. Hooray. Pass the cyanide.

Not good at the moment on 11:37 - Oct 23 with 5510 viewsSomethingBlue

Not good at the moment on 11:31 - Oct 23 by chicoazul

You'd know more about this than most would but hearing you say it just makes me more depressed so thanks. Our best player walking out the door for nothing. Hooray. Pass the cyanide.

It's nothing more than reading between the lines to be honest. Hope to be wrong.

Not good at the moment on 11:42 - Oct 23 with 5488 viewsPhilTWTD

Not good at the moment on 11:37 - Oct 23 by SomethingBlue

It's nothing more than reading between the lines to be honest. Hope to be wrong.

I would tend to agree, again without any inside knowledge. Wouldn't entirely surprise me if a lower level Premier League club took a punt on him. Free transfer, wages wouldn't be huge in the context of their budget - although well beyond what we could afford - two-year deal. If that's what happens I couldn't blame him for wanting to take what would be his last chance at top flight football.
Not good at the moment on 11:46 - Oct 23 with 5450 viewstextbackup

Too many people still pro MM, until he goes this is us.

We are fcking rubbish.

We’ll be good again... one day
Poll: How many home games do you get to a season

Not good at the moment on 11:47 - Oct 23 with 5439 viewsPhilTWTD

Not good at the moment on 11:19 - Oct 23 by ClausThomsen

Yeah but if everyone was fit surely he'd know what he wants to do with those players?

Don't worry, I'd be afraid to ask him as well!

Not about being afraid, more about knowing what sort of answers he gives to questions like that. I think he was actually asked something like that about three weeks ago and gave the sort of flat-bat of an answer I suggest.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024