Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Doing a runner from bars/restaurants - Ipswich edition 10:12 - Oct 23 with 12114 viewsartsbossbeard

Saw a story come up on my FB feed this weekend about a chap who is doing the rounds of Ipswich bars & restaurants, running up big bar tabs before skulking off without paying. The trick being to put an expired debit/credit card behind the bar and relying on it not being checked by bar staff until payment required and by that time, he's gone.

This type of behaviour really boils my p1ss. My mate's lad (both season ticket holders) works in one of the bars affected and they got stung for £80, which is what they pay my mates' lad for a couple of nights work collecting empties & cleaning up.

The story named & shamed him and if it's true, I do know the lad to say hello to but I won't name him on here.

Anyhoo, worth noting if you should work or know someone who works in a bar/restaurant around the Ipswich area.

Please note: prior to hitting the post button, I've double checked for anything that could be construed as "Anti Semitic" and to the best of my knowledge it isn't. Anything deemed to be of a Xenophobic nature is therefore purely accidental or down to your own misconstruing.
Poll: Raining in IP8 - shall I get the washing in?

Doing a runner from bars/restaurants - Ipswich edition on 14:08 - Oct 23 with 4282 viewsblue_oyster

Has the suspect been interviewed by the police?

Conventional wisdom is the enemy of thought.
Poll: Who is the most hated contributor to this site?

Doing a runner from bars/restaurants - Ipswich edition on 14:09 - Oct 23 with 4277 viewsJakeITFC

Doing a runner from bars/restaurants - Ipswich edition on 14:02 - Oct 23 by Joey_Joe_Joe_Junior

Always but a lot more people pay by cards over here. For drink tabs it must be 90% cash in the UK I would think.

Not any more really - I'd say >50% of people pay with card in pubs now.
Doing a runner from bars/restaurants - Ipswich edition on 14:11 - Oct 23 with 4261 viewsjeera

Doing a runner from bars/restaurants - Ipswich edition on 14:09 - Oct 23 by JakeITFC

It's easier than ever now with contact-less huh?

Too bloomin easy sometimes.

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

Doing a runner from bars/restaurants - Ipswich edition on 14:13 - Oct 23 with 4249 viewsHARRY10

Doing a runner from bars/restaurants - Ipswich edition on 14:09 - Oct 23 by JakeITFC

More fool them

As someone with a relative in 'the industry' they avoid cards as much as possible

There are many, many reasons which I won't go into but suffice to say that it does impact on your future credit rating.

Only a fool would willingly hand over all that kind of info.
Doing a runner from bars/restaurants - Ipswich edition on 14:20 - Oct 23 with 4222 viewsJoey_Joe_Joe_Junior

Doing a runner from bars/restaurants - Ipswich edition on 14:13 - Oct 23 by HARRY10

More fool them

As someone with a relative in 'the industry' they avoid cards as much as possible

There are many, many reasons which I won't go into but suffice to say that it does impact on your future credit rating.

You sound like someone who has boxes of money under the bed.
Doing a runner from bars/restaurants - Ipswich edition on 14:22 - Oct 23 with 4207 viewsSpruceMoose

Doing a runner from bars/restaurants - Ipswich edition on 14:20 - Oct 23 by Joey_Joe_Joe_Junior

You sound like someone who has boxes of money under the bed.

Much like David Batty, everything paid in cash.

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."
Poll: Selectamod

Doing a runner from bars/restaurants - Ipswich edition on 14:23 - Oct 23 with 4202 viewsGunnsAirkick

Doing a runner from bars/restaurants - Ipswich edition on 14:02 - Oct 23 by Joey_Joe_Joe_Junior

Always but a lot more people pay by cards over here. For drink tabs it must be 90% cash in the UK I would think.

I don't know anyone that pays their tab with cash (you could end up needing a lot of cash!) Most people that I know just leave their card behind the bar if they're getting a tab, that said most people seem to prefer getting rounds in over tabs anyway.
Doing a runner from bars/restaurants - Ipswich edition on 14:35 - Oct 23 with 4172 viewsJoey_Joe_Joe_Junior

Interesting definitely changed then.
Login to get fewer ads

Doing a runner from bars/restaurants - Ipswich edition on 14:37 - Oct 23 with 4167 viewsJakeITFC

Doing a runner from bars/restaurants - Ipswich edition on 14:13 - Oct 23 by HARRY10

More fool them

Eh?
ng a runner from bars/restaurants - Ipswich edition on 14:43 - Oct 23 with 4150 viewsPinewoodblue

Doing a runner from bars/restaurants - Ipswich edition on 12:39 - Oct 23 by hype313

The Newbourne Fox swipe 1p from your card when you start a tab. Surprised all establishments didn't do this

dodgy practice, had a card blocked a few years ago as bank thought it was a test before a big hit.

it was actually a company checking card still valid before collecting an annual premium. was an american company.

2023 year of destiny
Poll: Dickhead "Noun" a stupid, irritating, or ridiculous man.

Doing a runner from bars/restaurants - Ipswich edition on 14:54 - Oct 23 with 4127 viewsGeoffSentence

Doing a runner from bars/restaurants - Ipswich edition on 13:59 - Oct 23 by jeera

I suppose it is possible a wallet has been found with old cards in it then.

I know I'm a b*gger for letting old ones clog up my wallet.

He is a rubbish crook if not.
[Post edited 23 Oct 2017 14:00]

It would be one of the world's worst crimes if he used his own expired debit cards. Might as well leave a note with his name on it saying 'I robbed you'

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

Doing a runner from bars/restaurants - Ipswich edition on 14:54 - Oct 23 with 4126 viewsPinewoodblue

I find my self lacking in sympathy for any business that doesn't check the expiry date on a card before setting up a tab..

2023 year of destiny
Poll: Dickhead "Noun" a stupid, irritating, or ridiculous man.

Doing a runner from bars/restaurants - Ipswich edition on 15:05 - Oct 23 with 4105 viewsmaccyd9

Can you send me the link?
Doing a runner from bars/restaurants - Ipswich edition on 15:23 - Oct 23 with 4058 viewsMullet

Epidemic of it up here. Wonder if it's happening more nationally?

Was one homeless bloke in a shelter/halfway house going around Manc and if he ever got collared by staff threatened violence and legged it. Think he's awaiting trial still but sounded like prison would be an incentive for him given his living arrangements.

Is there not a CCTV through the town and stuff like that? You'd have thought a month at best of this sort of thing would see him get caught surely?

Poll: If Cook had the full season where would we have finished?
Blog: When the Fanzine Comes Around

Doing a runner from bars/restaurants - Ipswich edition on 15:33 - Oct 23 with 4023 viewsartsbossbeard

Doing a runner from bars/restaurants - Ipswich edition on 15:23 - Oct 23 by Mullet

Epidemic of it up here. Wonder if it's happening more nationally?

Was one homeless bloke in a shelter/halfway house going around Manc and if he ever got collared by staff threatened violence and legged it. Think he's awaiting trial still but sounded like prison would be an incentive for him given his living arrangements.

Is there not a CCTV through the town and stuff like that? You'd have thought a month at best of this sort of thing would see him get caught surely?

Think he's done everywhere decent now and if not, hopefully, other venues are now wise to him.

Another mate's lad works in the kitchen of a decent town pub and he went in yesterday armed with the info but the bloke had already done that place weeks before he started there 6wks ago. He's been prolific.

Please note: prior to hitting the post button, I've double checked for anything that could be construed as "Anti Semitic" and to the best of my knowledge it isn't. Anything deemed to be of a Xenophobic nature is therefore purely accidental or down to your own misconstruing.
Poll: Raining in IP8 - shall I get the washing in?

on 15:34 - Oct 23 with 4012 views_

Doing a runner from bars/restaurants - Ipswich edition on 15:33 - Oct 23 by artsbossbeard

Think he's done everywhere decent now and if not, hopefully, other venues are now wise to him.

Another mate's lad works in the kitchen of a decent town pub and he went in yesterday armed with the info but the bloke had already done that place weeks before he started there 6wks ago. He's been prolific.

Doing a runner from bars/restaurants - Ipswich edition on 15:35 - Oct 23 with 4009 viewsMullet

Doing a runner from bars/restaurants - Ipswich edition on 15:33 - Oct 23 by artsbossbeard

Type of crime too where I guess some places will keep quiet out of embarrassment/fear of reputation etc.

He'll get what's coming, people like that always do.

Poll: If Cook had the full season where would we have finished?
Blog: When the Fanzine Comes Around

Doing a runner from bars/restaurants - Ipswich edition on 15:45 - Oct 23 with 3978 viewsRoyKeanesDog

Doing a runner from bars/restaurants - Ipswich edition on 13:35 - Oct 23 by witchdoctor

do you know him mate?

Don't think so.

Poll: Best Football Song

Doing a runner from bars/restaurants - Ipswich edition on 19:27 - Oct 23 with 3884 viewsunbelievablue

Doing a runner from bars/restaurants - Ipswich edition on 12:39 - Oct 23 by hype313

The Newbourne Fox swipe 1p from your card when you start a tab. Surprised all establishments didn't do this

That's a rubbish idea, I almost always spend more than that.

Le meilleur des mondes possibles
Poll: When booking a reservation at a restaurant/bar, do you give...

Doing a runner from bars/restaurants - Ipswich edition on 19:38 - Oct 23 with 3860 viewsJoey_Joe_Joe_Junior

Doing a runner from bars/restaurants - Ipswich edition on 19:27 - Oct 23 by unbelievablue

That's a rubbish idea, I almost always spend more than that.

Hotels are a pain as well. They always do random deposits and then never refund me for 7 days.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024