Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
George Burley 16:39 - Oct 23 with 9562 viewsBLUEBEAT

Is the kind of bizarre managerial appointment Marcus Evans will make next.

Poll: W or W

George Burley on 16:44 - Oct 23 with 8177 viewsSmithy

I'd sooner have him than a number of the names banded about on here, or who I'd expect ME to actually go for, i.e. a Megson or Pardew etc.

37 years and counting!
Poll: We've had some awful managers in recent years, but who do you dislike the most?

George Burley on 17:00 - Oct 23 with 8125 viewsBobbychase

George Burley on 16:44 - Oct 23 by Smithy

I'd sooner have him than a number of the names banded about on here, or who I'd expect ME to actually go for, i.e. a Megson or Pardew etc.

Burley has been out of the game for far too long. Football has changed. We can't appoint him as manager because we played nice football under him 15 years ago.

It's a non starter

Poll: Who's going to be at the Bolton game?

George Burley on 17:01 - Oct 23 with 8110 viewsBLUEBEAT

George Burley on 17:00 - Oct 23 by Bobbychase

Burley has been out of the game for far too long. Football has changed. We can't appoint him as manager because we played nice football under him 15 years ago.

It's a non starter

Paul Jewell had pretty much disappeared/been written off too?

I think it’s exactly the kind of ridiculous appointment Evans would make.
[Post edited 23 Oct 2017 17:03]

Poll: W or W

George Burley on 17:02 - Oct 23 with 8108 viewsIllinoisblue

It's a non starter

I don't entirely get the whole "football has changed" argument. It really hasn't changed that much, it's still fundamentally the same as it ever was. Warnock seems to be coping okay with this new fnagled football thing.

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

George Burley on 17:02 - Oct 23 with 8087 viewshype313

It's a non starter

Also, he's retired, he doesn't want to manage again.

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

George Burley on 17:15 - Oct 23 with 8055 viewsStowTractorBoy

Do you really think Evans will sack MM - I personally think not ? McCarthy and Connor have until the end of the season with a further two year option until 2020. If you were MM and TC would you take up the two year option just to round off your careers. I personally think they would but you never know in football. To be honest I would worry about who chooses the next Manager and some of the names being banded around are laughable i.e. Burley, Mills Butcher etc. Time will tell.
George Burley on 17:17 - Oct 23 with 8049 viewsHarryWright

George Burley on 17:02 - Oct 23 by Illinoisblue

I don't entirely get the whole "football has changed" argument. It really hasn't changed that much, it's still fundamentally the same as it ever was. Warnock seems to be coping okay with this new fnagled football thing.

It's a ridiculous statement, Burley created an attacking team that played good football and scored goals - Why would that be any different whatever era? Only thing that's changed is the mad amounts of dough clubs have which means we are struggling to compete massively.
George Burley on 17:27 - Oct 23 with 7997 viewsSomethingBlue

Wouldn't get the chance as Burley wouldn't be interested.

Blog: The Way Back From Here Will Be Long, But There is a Way

Login to get fewer ads

George Burley on 17:29 - Oct 23 with 7990 viewsITFC_Forever

George Burley on 17:17 - Oct 23 by HarryWright

It's a ridiculous statement, Burley created an attacking team that played good football and scored goals - Why would that be any different whatever era? Only thing that's changed is the mad amounts of dough clubs have which means we are struggling to compete massively.

I think the main difference is that Warnock has stayed in the game, so has a working knowledge of players / personnel at clubs, whereas someone who was up and coming when he last worked is now at veteran journeyman status.

P 1123, W 500, D 287, L 336, F 1704, A 1356
Blog: Confessions of a Statto - Why We Bother

George Burley on 17:48 - Oct 23 with 7950 viewsGuthrum

George Burley on 17:17 - Oct 23 by HarryWright

And the time given to managers (at most clubs). It took Burley a few seasons to get it right and working.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

George Burley on 18:31 - Oct 23 with 7877 viewsBerlinBlue

It's a non starter

But what does that mean exactly? Yes, he's been out of the game for a while, but he has talent as he proved with us.
Like they say with players, form is temporary, class is permanent.
George Burley on 19:26 - Oct 23 with 7757 viewsfactual_blue

Hardly bizarre. Unlikely and unwise, but not bizarre.

Bryn Terfel would be a bizarre appointment.

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

George Burley on 19:32 - Oct 23 with 7733 viewsjas0999

He’s a poor owner, but not even he could be that stupid.
George Burley on 23:09 - Oct 23 with 7588 viewschristiand

Yes, he might have been out of football for a while, but he knows how to coach teams to play decent football and that will never be lost. The appointment of GB with a young coach and an Ipswich connection would be a welcome appointment in my eyes.

Poll: Where will we finish this season?
Blog: Full of Optimism and Hope, the League One Kick Off is Finally Here!

George Burley on 01:32 - Oct 24 with 7516 viewsSwansea_Blue

George Burley on 17:01 - Oct 23 by BLUEBEAT

Paul Jewell had pretty much disappeared/been written off too?

I think it’s exactly the kind of ridiculous appointment Evans would make.
[Post edited 23 Oct 2017 17:03]

Nah, I doubt he's that sensible. I wouldn't be surprised with Gordon Strachan or John Barnes!

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

George Burley on 06:54 - Oct 24 with 7448 viewsWarkystache

George Burley on 01:32 - Oct 24 by Swansea_Blue

Nah, I doubt he's that sensible. I wouldn't be surprised with Gordon Strachan or John Barnes!

I would. I'm not sure he'd go for Barnes, whose managerial record is piss-poor, and that's being kind.

He likes a well-known and respected manager. Perhaps someone like McDermott?

Poll: If we were guaranteed promotion next season, how would you celebrate?
Blog: [Blog] It's Time the Club Pushed On

George Burley on 07:54 - Oct 24 with 7408 viewspowinswitch

Been out of the game too long - Rinus Michels, Louis Van Gaal and Roy Hodgson all spent time out of the game as teachers. I think they had some success.

Outdated style of football - which was attractive, successful, and saw Portman Road rocking. Not sure how the last three managers would be viewed against that criterion.

Bizarre appointment. When Alex Ferguson, Jose Mourinho, Arsenal Wenger, and whisper it, even the wonderful Sir Bobby Robson were appointed to their first managerial role some would have said the appointment was bizarre. Hell there was some grumbling going on at Portman Road early in Sir Bob's reign, and I think he did ok. You know with us and then afterwards.
George Burley on 08:05 - Oct 24 with 7387 viewsamy73

Burley is not interested. He has told me that personally.
George Burley on 08:07 - Oct 24 with 7380 viewsBackToRussia

George Burley on 07:54 - Oct 24 by powinswitch

Been out of the game too long - Rinus Michels, Louis Van Gaal and Roy Hodgson all spent time out of the game as teachers. I think they had some success.

Outdated style of football - which was attractive, successful, and saw Portman Road rocking. Not sure how the last three managers would be viewed against that criterion.

Bizarre appointment. When Alex Ferguson, Jose Mourinho, Arsenal Wenger, and whisper it, even the wonderful Sir Bobby Robson were appointed to their first managerial role some would have said the appointment was bizarre. Hell there was some grumbling going on at Portman Road early in Sir Bob's reign, and I think he did ok. You know with us and then afterwards.

Don't be ridiculous.
Those are the greatest managers to have ever lived, Hodgson aside, so are hardly evidence of anything.

TWTD CP. Evans Out.
Poll: Neil Young or Lynyrd Skynyrd - there is no middle ground.

George Burley on 08:10 - Oct 24 with 7367 viewsstickymockwell

George Burley on 07:54 - Oct 24 by powinswitch

The one thing Sheepy always got right was the managerial appointments, even if he was making mistakes elsewhere.

Burley, Royle and Magic were all right for the time. Evans has made 2 catastrophic appointments and 1 right one, but I think his next one is the most important. I'd like MM to stay until the end of the season but for Evans to be doing his homework over the next 6 months on who will replace Mick in May, and hope that we are still in this division.

Give him a ball and a yard of grass
Poll: How many times have you looked at the table since full time yesterday?

George Burley on 08:11 - Oct 24 with 7361 viewschristiand

George Burley on 17:48 - Oct 23 by Guthrum

And the time given to managers (at most clubs). It took Burley a few seasons to get it right and working.

It might have taken time for Burnley to get it right and full credit to them, but I feel sure they could see the progress on and off the pitch. What's our excuse?
[Post edited 24 Oct 2017 8:54]

Poll: Where will we finish this season?
Blog: Full of Optimism and Hope, the League One Kick Off is Finally Here!

George Burley on 08:17 - Oct 24 with 7350 viewspowinswitch

George Burley on 08:07 - Oct 24 by BackToRussia

Don't be ridiculous.
Those are the greatest managers to have ever lived, Hodgson aside, so are hardly evidence of anything.

My post argues that the reasons why George Burley is apparently not good enough, applies to these managers as well. The ones that you call the greatest to have ever lived, plus Roy Hodgson. I am not saying George Burley is the answer. What I am saying is that if we go for a 'bizarre' chap, playing attractive, entertaining and successful football, who might or might not be in the game at the moment, then they might be a better option than our current manager.

I believe Mick Mcacrthy has done his best. I don't think it fits with our club. I still go to every home and about 10 away a year. Unfortunately I have seen thousands of like minded fellow Town fans vote with their feet. I think it's obvious we need a new appointment.
George Burley on 08:18 - Oct 24 with 7346 viewsBackToRussia

George Burley on 08:17 - Oct 24 by powinswitch

My post argues that the reasons why George Burley is apparently not good enough, applies to these managers as well. The ones that you call the greatest to have ever lived, plus Roy Hodgson. I am not saying George Burley is the answer. What I am saying is that if we go for a 'bizarre' chap, playing attractive, entertaining and successful football, who might or might not be in the game at the moment, then they might be a better option than our current manager.

I believe Mick Mcacrthy has done his best. I don't think it fits with our club. I still go to every home and about 10 away a year. Unfortunately I have seen thousands of like minded fellow Town fans vote with their feet. I think it's obvious we need a new appointment.

Yes and it's also just as obvious that it shouldn't and won't be George Burley.

TWTD CP. Evans Out.
Poll: Neil Young or Lynyrd Skynyrd - there is no middle ground.

George Burley on 08:22 - Oct 24 with 7331 viewsitfcjoe

Just get Mogga in instead

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

George Burley on 08:26 - Oct 24 with 7325 viewsketton_itfc

George Burley on 08:22 - Oct 24 by itfcjoe

Just get Mogga in instead

Mogga with Burley back as Director of Football. Job done!
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024