Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Martin Samuel's on the manager merry go round 06:21 - Oct 24 with 5895 viewshype313

Including talking about us.

http://dailym.ai/2gyqZ4r

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

Martin Samuel's on the manager merry go round on 06:30 - Oct 24 with 5855 viewsTLA

That's a decent article - thanks for posting it.
Martin Samuel's on the manager merry go round on 06:49 - Oct 24 with 5806 viewsWarkystache

Screw 'Premier League Largess on a fraction'. I'd settle for a clear development plan, an idea of how we're going to progress, a strategy from the top which involves a financial commitment to improving the team. We're in the second tier; surely we need to gamble at some point?

The football is predictable and we're being found out. True, teams who spend don't always guarantee themselves promotion (look at Derby), but you can't afford to wait around, hoping. Why can't we scour the continent for affordable talent? Why rely on others' cast-offs? We're one of the poor relations in this league, yet with one of the richest owners.

What DOES the owner want?

Poll: If we were guaranteed promotion next season, how would you celebrate?
Blog: [Blog] It's Time the Club Pushed On

Martin Samuel's on the manager merry go round on 06:51 - Oct 24 with 5798 viewsMoisha

Martin Samuel's on the manager merry go round on 06:30 - Oct 24 by TLA

That's a decent article - thanks for posting it.

Martin Samuel is a decent columnist, I like him when on Sky Sunday mornings.

The thing about McCarthy though it's not just this season, it's a culmination of poor games, and decision making over the past 3 seasons that a lot of fans feel is now time for a change.
Martin Samuel's on the manager merry go round on 06:53 - Oct 24 with 5793 viewsblueconscience

“yet somehow Mick McCarthy is under pressure for sitting mid-table”

A typical ignorant outsider comment. It is not the league position, it is the boring one dimensional style and inability to change when needed that people are fed up with!!!
[Post edited 24 Oct 2017 6:54]

Poll: What % of ST holders saying they won’t renew, will end up renewing regardless?

Martin Samuel's on the manager merry go round on 07:01 - Oct 24 with 5761 viewsTLA

Martin Samuel's on the manager merry go round on 06:51 - Oct 24 by Moisha

The thing about McCarthy though it's not just this season, it's a culmination of poor games, and decision making over the past 3 seasons that a lot of fans feel is now time for a change.

I remember the moment when I started to struggle - it was away at MK Dons a couple of seasons ago. We won the game but after the first 10 minutes, when we were bright and scored, we just retreated into our third and I've never wanted a game to end so much.

I've been patient and understand that MM has done some good work for us but I've reached the point where the gamble is worthwhile.
Martin Samuel's on the manager merry go round on 07:03 - Oct 24 with 5743 viewsReuser_is_God

Martin Samuel's on the manager merry go round on 06:53 - Oct 24 by blueconscience

“yet somehow Mick McCarthy is under pressure for sitting mid-table”

A typical ignorant outsider comment. It is not the league position, it is the boring one dimensional style and inability to change when needed that people are fed up with!!!
[Post edited 24 Oct 2017 6:54]

Completely ignoring the fact we finished top 6 & have been in decline since too.

Come watch us every week Martin, your view may change.

Evans out
Poll: Are Burgers the new Cheese?

Martin Samuel's on the manager merry go round on 07:18 - Oct 24 with 5677 viewsBackToRussia

Martin Samuel's on the manager merry go round on 07:03 - Oct 24 by Reuser_is_God

Completely ignoring the fact we finished top 6 & have been in decline since too.

Come watch us every week Martin, your view may change.

Funny how he mentions Dyche when he is a prime example of what can be done on modest resources from the Championship.

TWTD CP. Evans Out.
Poll: Neil Young or Lynyrd Skynyrd - there is no middle ground.

Martin Samuel's on the manager merry go round on 07:34 - Oct 24 with 5582 viewsSteve_M

Martin Samuel's on the manager merry go round on 07:18 - Oct 24 by BackToRussia

Funny how he mentions Dyche when he is a prime example of what can be done on modest resources from the Championship.

Dyche has done a very good job at Burnley but he did start with parachute payments from Burnley's previous season in the Premier. That was probably the difference between Burnley in 13-14 and us in 14-15 - the strength in depth to keep going all season.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Login to get fewer ads

Martin Samuel's on the manager merry go round on 07:37 - Oct 24 with 5554 viewsReuser_is_God

Martin Samuel's on the manager merry go round on 07:34 - Oct 24 by Steve_M

Dyche has done a very good job at Burnley but he did start with parachute payments from Burnley's previous season in the Premier. That was probably the difference between Burnley in 13-14 and us in 14-15 - the strength in depth to keep going all season.

Don't think they had parachute money in 13/14?

They certainly did 15/16.

Evans out
Poll: Are Burgers the new Cheese?

Martin Samuel's on the manager merry go round on 07:38 - Oct 24 with 5552 viewsBackToRussia

Martin Samuel's on the manager merry go round on 07:34 - Oct 24 by Steve_M

Oh really? I remember a lot being made of when they went up them not spending much.
Did they have parachute payments that season when they went up? Maybe had them but didn't spend much still but obviously that is a very different thing.

TWTD CP. Evans Out.

Martin Samuel's on the manager merry go round on 07:44 - Oct 24 with 5512 viewschristiand

Martin Samuel's on the manager merry go round on 06:49 - Oct 24 by Warkystache

Screw 'Premier League Largess on a fraction'. I'd settle for a clear development plan, an idea of how we're going to progress, a strategy from the top which involves a financial commitment to improving the team. We're in the second tier; surely we need to gamble at some point?

The football is predictable and we're being found out. True, teams who spend don't always guarantee themselves promotion (look at Derby), but you can't afford to wait around, hoping. Why can't we scour the continent for affordable talent? Why rely on others' cast-offs? We're one of the poor relations in this league, yet with one of the richest owners.

Well we seem to scout solely in Ireland for talent nowhere else. Ireland is part of Europe does that count?

Poll: Where will we finish this season?
Blog: Full of Optimism and Hope, the League One Kick Off is Finally Here!

Martin Samuel's on the manager merry go round on 07:44 - Oct 24 with 5511 viewsSteve_M

Martin Samuel's on the manager merry go round on 07:38 - Oct 24 by BackToRussia

Oh really? I remember a lot being made of when they went up them not spending much.
Did they have parachute payments that season when they went up? Maybe had them but didn't spend much still but obviously that is a very different thing.

They beat Sheffield United in the play-offs in 2009 so were in the last year of parachute payments. It doesn't really detract from the job Dyche has done not the off-field approach to support that.

I just looked up who the manager was in that season as I couldn't remember - it was Owen Coyle, another awful one for the Evans list....

Martin Samuel's on the manager merry go round on 07:49 - Oct 24 with 5482 viewsdavblue

It is very easy from the outside to to think what are Ipswich doing putting pressure on. There are also some merits as they aren't attached to the club.

Mick is doing a decent job, with resources etc, but the football isn't the good watch and that is the crux of the matter for a lot of fans.

I'll always remember the quote the day Mick was appointed, "perspiration over inspiration" and that has held true. We have to work so dammed hard to create a chance, there's little inspired creativity in the team and that will never change under Mick.
Martin Samuel's on the manager merry go round on 07:54 - Oct 24 with 5464 viewsBackToRussia

Martin Samuel's on the manager merry go round on 07:44 - Oct 24 by Steve_M

They beat Sheffield United in the play-offs in 2009 so were in the last year of parachute payments. It doesn't really detract from the job Dyche has done not the off-field approach to support that.

I just looked up who the manager was in that season as I couldn't remember - it was Owen Coyle, another awful one for the Evans list....

Full kit w@nker.

TWTD CP. Evans Out.

Martin Samuel's on the manager merry go round on 07:57 - Oct 24 with 5451 viewschristiand

Martin Samuel's on the manager merry go round on 07:49 - Oct 24 by davblue

It is very easy from the outside to to think what are Ipswich doing putting pressure on. There are also some merits as they aren't attached to the club.

Mick is doing a decent job, with resources etc, but the football isn't the good watch and that is the crux of the matter for a lot of fans.

I'll always remember the quote the day Mick was appointed, "perspiration over inspiration" and that has held true. We have to work so dammed hard to create a chance, there's little inspired creativity in the team and that will never change under Mick.

Very true Davblue. Other phrases like: 'My teams need to be hard to beat or we need to scrap for a result' just sends a shudder down the spine. I just wonder if Lionel Messi would play in any MM sides does he do enough defensive work?

Poll: Where will we finish this season?
Blog: Full of Optimism and Hope, the League One Kick Off is Finally Here!

Martin Samuel's on the manager merry go round on 08:25 - Oct 24 with 5362 viewsRadlett_blue

I think there's more to it than that. 15 years of being largely marooned in mid table in the Championship, enlivened by a 3 play off appearances.
Although I would agree that Town haven't really tried to play passing football on a consistent basis since GB was manager.
[Post edited 24 Oct 2017 8:30]

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

Martin Samuel's on the manager merry go round on 08:33 - Oct 24 with 5336 viewsSteve_M

Martin Samuel's on the manager merry go round on 08:25 - Oct 24 by Radlett_blue

I think there's more to it than that. 15 years of being largely marooned in mid table in the Championship, enlivened by a 3 play off appearances.
Although I would agree that Town haven't really tried to play passing football on a consistent basis since GB was manager.
[Post edited 24 Oct 2017 8:30]

On your last point, Magilton did I think and home form in the first half of 07-08 was very good. Although, he threw that out when he started stockpiling midfielders after the ME takeover.

Martin Samuel's on the manager merry go round on 08:41 - Oct 24 with 5295 viewshype313

Martin Samuel's on the manager merry go round on 06:49 - Oct 24 by Warkystache

I really don't know to be honest, he seems happy treading water in this league, he certainly isn't willing to take a gamble, which is why Mick is still in charge, uninspiring but pragmatic.

Regardless of whether you are a Mick outer/Inner, Marcus outer, the fact is, the whole place just reeks of boredom and no urgency, from the grounds aesthetics to the first teams aesthetics, it all stems from the top.

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

Martin Samuel's on the manager merry go round on 08:45 - Oct 24 with 5270 viewsWeWereZombies

Martin Samuel's on the manager merry go round on 07:44 - Oct 24 by Steve_M

Funny you should mention Owen Coyle, I saw his first home game in charge of Ross County when I went along to do my Berra report the other week. Ross were lively and Berra was the difference between the teams, can't say I noticed Coyle on the touchline despite being in the stand opposite the dug-outs but that might be because Craig Levein had the lighter coloured coat. It will be interesting if I go over to Dingwall again this season to see if Coyle has made a difference to the team but I doubt that he is the new messiah...

Poll: How will we get fourteen points from the last five games ?

Martin Samuel's on the manager merry go round on 08:54 - Oct 24 with 5237 viewsHarryWright

Doesn't mention the fact Mccarthy is sending their fans away in their thousands and always tries to wind the fans up in post match interviews. I want a manager that wants to work for Ipswich town as opposed to it being just another job.
Martin Samuel's on the manager merry go round on 09:03 - Oct 24 with 5182 viewsRadlett_blue

Martin Samuel's on the manager merry go round on 08:45 - Oct 24 by WeWereZombies

Funny you should mention Owen Coyle, I saw his first home game in charge of Ross County when I went along to do my Berra report the other week. Ross were lively and Berra was the difference between the teams, can't say I noticed Coyle on the touchline despite being in the stand opposite the dug-outs but that might be because Craig Levein had the lighter coloured coat. It will be interesting if I go over to Dingwall again this season to see if Coyle has made a difference to the team but I doubt that he is the new messiah...

Was Owen Coyle still wearing full team kit when on the touchline?
I always found that habit slightly disconcerting.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

Martin Samuel's on the manager merry go round on 11:07 - Oct 24 with 4968 viewsitfcjoe

I think it's probably fair enough, ultimately Mick is judged on results and we are currently 11th with a budget well below that. Would a different manager do better or worse, who knows - but it's more likely that a new manager would take us out of the division the wrong way than the right way in my view.

What is the end game for Evans though? Is being a mid table Championship team enough, or does he have a gamble in him - again who knows?

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Martin Samuel's on the manager merry go round on 11:10 - Oct 24 with 4955 viewsCambonbleu

This is a good article and the principle of the points he makes are worthy however I can only take it he's not been to watch Ipswich since MM took over

Poll: How many Season Ticket holders will ITFC have next season?
Blog: Why All the Positivity?

Martin Samuel's on the manager merry go round on 11:24 - Oct 24 with 4916 viewsWeWereZombies

Martin Samuel's on the manager merry go round on 09:03 - Oct 24 by Radlett_blue

Was Owen Coyle still wearing full team kit when on the touchline?
I always found that habit slightly disconcerting.

As I said I didn't notice him too much, I'll take my binoculars next time - tell the locals I am trying to get a better look at Owen Coyle's shorts, should go down well...

Poll: How will we get fourteen points from the last five games ?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024