Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Is it time for a thoroughly polite ongoing protest? 09:27 - Oct 24 with 6681 viewsAxeldalai_lama

I think we've all agreed that both ME and MM have run their course. I think we can at least vaguely agree that they've helped us through some difficult times in their own way, but aren't quite cutting it now for differing reasons.
Quite a few ranting raging people are f-ing and blinding about the whole thing when in reality we haven't had it that bad(boring, mediocre and pointless but not terrible), and that attitude tends to divide the support and annoy those targetted.
Could we not take the moral high ground and start a "thanks for what you've done, but lets move on" kind of campaign? This could still build momentum to the end of the season so Mick knows he was wanted but no longer is, and ME might think about selling. The supporters club and similar could publicly back this kind of campaign as it's hardly divisive. Plus the comedy aspect of not being the average modern football fan demanding sucess might be novel.
I know lots of people will deem it pathetic, but is it not a more constructive option than a few bed sheets and people telling Mick and ME to F off?
Is it time for a thoroughly polite ongoing protest? on 09:36 - Oct 24 with 4873 viewschicoazul

It's not pathetic. There's just no point. Our club is not dying, it's dead. Almost everything good about it has gone. People seem passionate about winning their arguments with one another on here but not about the club itself which is telling.
Mick has told us many many times that he doesnt care what people think and it washes over him.Evans, who knows what he thinks. So you're shouting at the wind. If you want to send a message then just don't go because as long as your money goes through the gate that is all the club cares about.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

Is it time for a thoroughly polite ongoing protest? on 09:44 - Oct 24 with 4853 viewsAxeldalai_lama

Is it time for a thoroughly polite ongoing protest? on 09:36 - Oct 24 by chicoazul

It's not pathetic. There's just no point. Our club is not dying, it's dead. Almost everything good about it has gone. People seem passionate about winning their arguments with one another on here but not about the club itself which is telling.
Mick has told us many many times that he doesnt care what people think and it washes over him.Evans, who knows what he thinks. So you're shouting at the wind. If you want to send a message then just don't go because as long as your money goes through the gate that is all the club cares about.

But people slowly drifting away doesn't really seem to affect them either, not sure why not really. I suppose the money from fans has less impact into the overall budget now, and we just incorporate that into existing costs. Plus we seem to be down to our hardcore 10k plus a few thousand part timers.
I just think whilst they right it off as a few tossers running their mouths they wont bat an eyelid. Whereas a consistant ongoing measured campaign by the majority might at least get Mick to agree, or Evans to explain himself. I'm dreaming I know!
Is it time for a thoroughly polite ongoing protest? on 09:59 - Oct 24 with 4825 viewsmonty_radio

The "Polite comes to Portman campaign"? SBR singing: "Mick McCarthy, your football is less than attractive".

Or perhaps set it up in language he understands - start off singing the opponents strengths via two sitting singers near the back with your better singers pushed to the wings. Later in the game bring a few forward to sing in a more gung-ho fashion, but probably too quietly, too late.

Seriously, quiet is not the way of the world. It's concerted noise on the Internet, the press and MotD that moves the manager. And the Championship is a bit distant from all that, and M.E. even further off.

Sadly, although some on here regularly like to note that "it's busy on here" when we lose, continuous defeat remains the ultimate shape-shifter.

Blog: Too Many Suspects? – A Swede Ramble

Is it time for a thoroughly polite ongoing protest? on 10:06 - Oct 24 with 4809 viewsJ2BLUE

It's time to realise what Evans is and how he operates. If MM is going it will be at the end of the season. Now isn't the time to work against the club. Who knows, after Celina came on and looked better than the rest of the team had looked in the entire half, MM might well decide to give him an extended run in the team and we could pick up a few results.

There is of course the danger that the fans waiting to voice their opinions could see the club extend MM's contract. If I was a ST holder and wanted him gone i'd write to the club and tell them my support was guaranteed for this season and I hoped to give MM a warm send off at the end of the season but if his contract is renewed i'll be cancelling immediately. Get enough people to do this non disruptive process and the club might listen without it derailing any slight chance we have this season.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Is it time for a thoroughly polite ongoing protest? on 10:13 - Oct 24 with 4778 viewsAxeldalai_lama

Is it time for a thoroughly polite ongoing protest? on 09:59 - Oct 24 by monty_radio

The "Polite comes to Portman campaign"? SBR singing: "Mick McCarthy, your football is less than attractive".

Or perhaps set it up in language he understands - start off singing the opponents strengths via two sitting singers near the back with your better singers pushed to the wings. Later in the game bring a few forward to sing in a more gung-ho fashion, but probably too quietly, too late.

Seriously, quiet is not the way of the world. It's concerted noise on the Internet, the press and MotD that moves the manager. And the Championship is a bit distant from all that, and M.E. even further off.

Sadly, although some on here regularly like to note that "it's busy on here" when we lose, continuous defeat remains the ultimate shape-shifter.

Didn't say quiet, just measured. But take your point
Is it time for a thoroughly polite ongoing protest? on 10:15 - Oct 24 with 4773 viewsCambonbleu

I think Evans has got to be looking for a buyer. He clearly doesn't want the team to go anywhere. He sees MM as a comfy pair of slippers, not setting the world alight on the fashion front but doing a solid job.

If he wanted better for the club, he'd either Invest or change manager. The fact that we just keep sailing along indicates he must be looking for someone to buy him out - but perhaps we're not an overly attractive invedtment oppertunity bearing in mind i'm sure ME would want to recoup his £80m ITFC 'owes' him.

I don't have any problem with this type of protest, I think it's a novel idea but I just don't think anyone is listening because the plan is set in stone already and until a buyer appears I don't think anything will change. If ME stays he'll provide MM with a new contract I think

Poll: How many Season Ticket holders will ITFC have next season?
Blog: Why All the Positivity?

Is it time for a thoroughly polite ongoing protest? on 10:16 - Oct 24 with 4770 viewsAxeldalai_lama

Is it time for a thoroughly polite ongoing protest? on 10:06 - Oct 24 by J2BLUE

It's time to realise what Evans is and how he operates. If MM is going it will be at the end of the season. Now isn't the time to work against the club. Who knows, after Celina came on and looked better than the rest of the team had looked in the entire half, MM might well decide to give him an extended run in the team and we could pick up a few results.

There is of course the danger that the fans waiting to voice their opinions could see the club extend MM's contract. If I was a ST holder and wanted him gone i'd write to the club and tell them my support was guaranteed for this season and I hoped to give MM a warm send off at the end of the season but if his contract is renewed i'll be cancelling immediately. Get enough people to do this non disruptive process and the club might listen without it derailing any slight chance we have this season.

Yeah, I'd agree we could work towards Mick going at the end of the season. It would just be "letting ME know" more than anything.
That's why I said polite, in that a load of random enraged blokes losing it and telling Mick and ME to f*ck off at intervals during the game help no one. A concerted polite thanks for the memories but please leave at the end of the season, whilst supporting the team on the pitch, might work better.
Like I said probably bobbins, it's just an antidote to all the bile flung despite us being mediocre rather than a basket case.
Is it time for a thoroughly polite ongoing protest? on 10:18 - Oct 24 with 4764 viewsSwn98

And if we got in the playoffs?
Login to get fewer ads

Is it time for a thoroughly polite ongoing protest? on 10:30 - Oct 24 with 4736 viewsJ2BLUE

Is it time for a thoroughly polite ongoing protest? on 10:18 - Oct 24 by Swn98

And if we got in the playoffs?

Well that is something for people to consider before they act. I have argued in another thread that MM deserves to see this season out. If we make the play offs then there's no reason not to give him a new deal. People could wait a few months, see how things are going and then act if they feel strongly enough.

If MM does leave at the end of the season I would like to think it would be with a warm send off.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Is it time for a thoroughly polite ongoing protest? on 10:59 - Oct 24 with 4697 viewsmonty_radio

Is it time for a thoroughly polite ongoing protest? on 10:13 - Oct 24 by Axeldalai_lama

Didn't say quiet, just measured. But take your point

I'm with you actually, but fear that "measured", if achievable, would be happily ignored in this noisy world, especially by those whose disregard for Town fans seems palpable.

Is it time for a thoroughly polite ongoing protest? on 11:19 - Oct 24 with 4671 viewsJimmy86

Crikey, being polite is the problem. We've been far too polite for far too long. There are too many people who accept mediocrity, as this has been the case for as long as I can remember.

When Newcastle were in the championship the first time and they had their issues with Ashley they sang about him every game, this picked up some media interest and the only worry is that it might be counter productive for the players on the pitch.

Evans doesn't care anymore, we are like a vessel at sea, with no engine, just bobbing along, waiting to be rescued.

Mick has got it absolutely made, he's gotta be the safest man in football. Evans doesn't interfere, which suits Mick fine, Evans doesn't invest, other than the bare minimum to keep the club afloat, which hinders Mick, but he doesn't rock the boat, as he then has an excuse for his failings straight away. It's all absolutely rotten.

Then there's us, the fans. Even 3 seasons ago when we finished 7th there was a divide in the fan base and fans were fighting themselves in the north stand. Christ, if we are having a ruck with our fellow fans that proves what a state the club has been in for the last few years.

Too many fans are blinded by what Mick did when he first came in, keeping us up and the play off season. Thing is it's all gone down hill since and what he did 4-5 years ago should obv be remembered and valued, but not now an excuse not to get rid.

Most managers at other clubs might have been sacked on last season's worst finish in 58 years, some might have been given the boot after the Lincoln debacle. Not safe Mick
Is it time for a thoroughly polite ongoing protest? on 11:31 - Oct 24 with 4650 viewsWeWereZombies

Celina looked better than the team? Watching on the telly in the pub I noticed him when they had a close up as he came on and after that - nothing. Sears did make one good run towards the box though.

Mind you I had a Rangers fan in my ear for the whole match as he waited for their triumph over mighty Motherwell...

Poll: How will we get fourteen points from the last five games ?

Is it time for a thoroughly polite ongoing protest? on 11:36 - Oct 24 with 4647 viewsitfcjoe

Is it time for a thoroughly polite ongoing protest? on 10:15 - Oct 24 by Cambonbleu

I think Evans has got to be looking for a buyer. He clearly doesn't want the team to go anywhere. He sees MM as a comfy pair of slippers, not setting the world alight on the fashion front but doing a solid job.

If he wanted better for the club, he'd either Invest or change manager. The fact that we just keep sailing along indicates he must be looking for someone to buy him out - but perhaps we're not an overly attractive invedtment oppertunity bearing in mind i'm sure ME would want to recoup his £80m ITFC 'owes' him.

I don't have any problem with this type of protest, I think it's a novel idea but I just don't think anyone is listening because the plan is set in stone already and until a buyer appears I don't think anything will change. If ME stays he'll provide MM with a new contract I think

But if we win the next 3 games and get back in the top 6 his plan is suddenly working.

He obviously believes what he is doing gives us the best chance of long term success within the budget and other restraints that he/football has set for the club.

Results are what matters, but if you have a long term plan that is measured and considered, one good run or bad run of form shouldn't throw you too far off course.

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Is it time for a thoroughly polite ongoing protest? on 11:40 - Oct 24 with 4633 viewsWeWereZombies

Is it time for a thoroughly polite ongoing protest? on 11:36 - Oct 24 by itfcjoe

But if we win the next 3 games and get back in the top 6 his plan is suddenly working.

He obviously believes what he is doing gives us the best chance of long term success within the budget and other restraints that he/football has set for the club.

Results are what matters, but if you have a long term plan that is measured and considered, one good run or bad run of form shouldn't throw you too far off course.

Terrible to watch though, isn't it? On Sunday I had to ask the bar staff to change the channel back after half time because they had pinged over to some Sky vintage thing about an ancient match between Spurs and Liverpool whilst I wasn't looking.
[Post edited 24 Oct 2017 11:47]

Poll: How will we get fourteen points from the last five games ?

Is it time for a thoroughly polite ongoing protest? on 11:41 - Oct 24 with 4633 viewsAxeldalai_lama

Is it time for a thoroughly polite ongoing protest? on 11:19 - Oct 24 by Jimmy86

Crikey, being polite is the problem. We've been far too polite for far too long. There are too many people who accept mediocrity, as this has been the case for as long as I can remember.

When Newcastle were in the championship the first time and they had their issues with Ashley they sang about him every game, this picked up some media interest and the only worry is that it might be counter productive for the players on the pitch.

Evans doesn't care anymore, we are like a vessel at sea, with no engine, just bobbing along, waiting to be rescued.

Mick has got it absolutely made, he's gotta be the safest man in football. Evans doesn't interfere, which suits Mick fine, Evans doesn't invest, other than the bare minimum to keep the club afloat, which hinders Mick, but he doesn't rock the boat, as he then has an excuse for his failings straight away. It's all absolutely rotten.

Then there's us, the fans. Even 3 seasons ago when we finished 7th there was a divide in the fan base and fans were fighting themselves in the north stand. Christ, if we are having a ruck with our fellow fans that proves what a state the club has been in for the last few years.

Too many fans are blinded by what Mick did when he first came in, keeping us up and the play off season. Thing is it's all gone down hill since and what he did 4-5 years ago should obv be remembered and valued, but not now an excuse not to get rid.

Most managers at other clubs might have been sacked on last season's worst finish in 58 years, some might have been given the boot after the Lincoln debacle. Not safe Mick

But what would be the crux of this enraged protest to sack the owner and the manager? That's really my point.
It's more enough is enough, thanks, you got us out of the sh1t but shall we move on as the club is slowly descending into ever more boring mediocrity.
Just think as a fan base we're much more likely to agree on that stance compared to being enraged about boring football keeping us safe and modest investment not pushing us on.
What would the banners be?
SPEND LOADS MORE MILLIONS OR FECK OFF?
PLAY LIKE BARCELONA AND WE WONT CARE IF WE'RE 15TH?
MICK AND ME, BUNCH OF C*NTS?
Yes we've been in the same league for decades, and it's rubbish, but first world problems when you think of some other teams situations.
Is it time for a thoroughly polite ongoing protest? on 11:48 - Oct 24 with 4619 viewsJimmy86

Is it time for a thoroughly polite ongoing protest? on 11:41 - Oct 24 by Axeldalai_lama

But what would be the crux of this enraged protest to sack the owner and the manager? That's really my point.
It's more enough is enough, thanks, you got us out of the sh1t but shall we move on as the club is slowly descending into ever more boring mediocrity.
Just think as a fan base we're much more likely to agree on that stance compared to being enraged about boring football keeping us safe and modest investment not pushing us on.
What would the banners be?
SPEND LOADS MORE MILLIONS OR FECK OFF?
PLAY LIKE BARCELONA AND WE WONT CARE IF WE'RE 15TH?
MICK AND ME, BUNCH OF C*NTS?
Yes we've been in the same league for decades, and it's rubbish, but first world problems when you think of some other teams situations.

I do agree. In our extended stay in the championship there have been teams that have gone down to league 1. Some of these teams, like Southampton, Leicester and dare I say it Nodge, have then gone back up to the championship with momentum and then been promoted to the PL.

The problem with us under Mick is the fact it's highly unlikely we will go down under Mick, but we also won't go up with Mick either.

Evans probably knows this and is happy with it. All he's bothered about is not going down. He's not bothered about putting in the required investment to actually get promoted, where he could get his money back and more.
Is it time for a thoroughly polite ongoing protest? on 11:55 - Oct 24 with 4590 viewsCambonbleu

Is it time for a thoroughly polite ongoing protest? on 11:36 - Oct 24 by itfcjoe

I don't disagree with you - for him the strategy is definitely working and your second paragraph is spot on but I don't think the constraints he has set for the club are progressing the club in any way or making the fans believe in the club at the moment.

I think the MM / ME partnership won't be broken until ME sells the club.

Poll: How many Season Ticket holders will ITFC have next season?
Blog: Why All the Positivity?

Is it time for a thoroughly polite ongoing protest? on 12:03 - Oct 24 with 4562 viewsmonty_radio

Is it time for a thoroughly polite ongoing protest? on 11:40 - Oct 24 by WeWereZombies

Terrible to watch though, isn't it? On Sunday I had to ask the bar staff to change the channel back after half time because they had pinged over to some Sky vintage thing about an ancient match between Spurs and Liverpool whilst I wasn't looking.
[Post edited 24 Oct 2017 11:47]

Love it! Beyond the Town bubble the barman exercises house rules - no entertainment, no banter: no beers.

Is it time for a thoroughly polite ongoing protest? on 12:04 - Oct 24 with 4556 viewsportmanking

But our first team setup is completely at odds with the way the Academy sides are brought up to play - I know 2-3 parents of sons at the Academy who believe they are too small/slight to get a look in under McCarthy.

The club needs a Director of Football who can implement a playing style/structure throughout all senior/junior sides and a coach that teaches players not to see the ball as a hot potato.
Is it time for a thoroughly polite ongoing protest? on 12:06 - Oct 24 with 4547 viewsitfcjoe

Is it time for a thoroughly polite ongoing protest? on 11:55 - Oct 24 by Cambonbleu

I don't disagree with you - for him the strategy is definitely working and your second paragraph is spot on but I don't think the constraints he has set for the club are progressing the club in any way or making the fans believe in the club at the moment.

I think the MM / ME partnership won't be broken until ME sells the club.

I don't see Mick getting another year if this one peters out to nothing-ness, but then I thought he'd go in the summer after last season.

In a way, getting 6th with a small budget is the worst thing Mick could have done as it has shown Evans that it can be done, when the reality is that everything went right that year and we had a number of players that were absolutely flying that we couldn't afford to hold on to

Is it time for a thoroughly polite ongoing protest? on 12:10 - Oct 24 with 4535 viewsAxeldalai_lama

Is it time for a thoroughly polite ongoing protest? on 11:48 - Oct 24 by Jimmy86

I do agree. In our extended stay in the championship there have been teams that have gone down to league 1. Some of these teams, like Southampton, Leicester and dare I say it Nodge, have then gone back up to the championship with momentum and then been promoted to the PL.

The problem with us under Mick is the fact it's highly unlikely we will go down under Mick, but we also won't go up with Mick either.

Evans probably knows this and is happy with it. All he's bothered about is not going down. He's not bothered about putting in the required investment to actually get promoted, where he could get his money back and more.

Another problem is that things that us fans think of as the easiest thing to do, no owner in his right mind will do.
'It doesn't matter if we go down, we'll come back stronger like x,y andz' No owner will risk the massive drop in income, and club value etc on the off chance.
'just need to get someone in to play good football' While we are doing 'okay' with MM what's the actual benefit to the owner risking us dropping like a stone.
'just needs to spend a bit more to make us competetive' Try 30million to have much of an affect in reality. A couple of million more improves our chances by very little.

Which is not to say those things might help, especially from a fans persective, but stupid as it sounds his job isn't really to keep the fans happy. It's to progress or at least not plummet backwards, like it or not we are not failing enough for a drastic change.
Is it time for a thoroughly polite ongoing protest? on 12:13 - Oct 24 with 4523 viewsitfcjoe

Is it time for a thoroughly polite ongoing protest? on 12:04 - Oct 24 by portmanking

But our first team setup is completely at odds with the way the Academy sides are brought up to play - I know 2-3 parents of sons at the Academy who believe they are too small/slight to get a look in under McCarthy.

The club needs a Director of Football who can implement a playing style/structure throughout all senior/junior sides and a coach that teaches players not to see the ball as a hot potato.

But Downes, Dozzell, Nydam and Kenlcok have all got chances this year and none of them are particularly big - Dozzell and Nydam are very small. Bishop previously.

It's the academies job to create players for the first team, and whilst we'd a ll prefer a more easy on the eye formation, the tail can't wag the dog. The Championship is a tough, physical league and the players that make it through have that to their game as well.

Even a club like Forest who have Warburton in charge trying to implement a passing game, the 2 youth players they have bought through are Joe Worrall and Ben Brereton who are both 6'3 and in Worrall's case built like a brick outhouse.

The academy teaches you to be footballers, to keep the ball under pressure in tight situations, to be confident on the ball - but those players are 10 a penny, you need some X Factor to go with it if you want to make it and you need to be physically up to it.

Is it time for a thoroughly polite ongoing protest? on 12:16 - Oct 24 with 4513 viewsAxeldalai_lama

Is it time for a thoroughly polite ongoing protest? on 12:04 - Oct 24 by portmanking

Whilst I agree there could be more joined up thinking between the academy and first team, I think that football and the championship in general are more concentrating on the bigger, tougher, taller players. They have much less time to develop within a first team and you can't carry a player whilst they are adjusting to the physicality so being bigger to start with is half the battle.
Is it time for a thoroughly polite ongoing protest? on 12:19 - Oct 24 with 4490 viewsportmanking

Is it time for a thoroughly polite ongoing protest? on 12:13 - Oct 24 by itfcjoe

But Downes, Dozzell, Nydam and Kenlcok have all got chances this year and none of them are particularly big - Dozzell and Nydam are very small. Bishop previously.

It's the academies job to create players for the first team, and whilst we'd a ll prefer a more easy on the eye formation, the tail can't wag the dog. The Championship is a tough, physical league and the players that make it through have that to their game as well.

Even a club like Forest who have Warburton in charge trying to implement a passing game, the 2 youth players they have bought through are Joe Worrall and Ben Brereton who are both 6'3 and in Worrall's case built like a brick outhouse.

The academy teaches you to be footballers, to keep the ball under pressure in tight situations, to be confident on the ball - but those players are 10 a penny, you need some X Factor to go with it if you want to make it and you need to be physically up to it.

Players capable of handling the ball in tight areas are 10-a-penny?! I wish that was the case in the first team!

I dispute the fact that young players coming through have to be brutes. Your example of Forest is a microcosm, there are heaps of other talented, technical young players in the Championship thriving... Sessegnon at Fulham, Maddison at Norwich, the lad Brooks at Sheff Utd.

Nydam is a perfect case in point that he's no brick outhouse but he's able to compete, put himself about and still show for the ball - which is more than our other senior midfielders did on Sunday.
Is it time for a thoroughly polite ongoing protest? on 12:24 - Oct 24 with 4455 viewsMullet

Is it time for a thoroughly polite ongoing protest? on 12:19 - Oct 24 by portmanking

Players capable of handling the ball in tight areas are 10-a-penny?! I wish that was the case in the first team!

I dispute the fact that young players coming through have to be brutes. Your example of Forest is a microcosm, there are heaps of other talented, technical young players in the Championship thriving... Sessegnon at Fulham, Maddison at Norwich, the lad Brooks at Sheff Utd.

Nydam is a perfect case in point that he's no brick outhouse but he's able to compete, put himself about and still show for the ball - which is more than our other senior midfielders did on Sunday.

Haven't you just proved your own point about the parents being wrong?

Maddison is 3 years older than Nydam too and hardly fresh out of the academy. Arguably if an academy lad is good enough there aren't many places other than Ipswich where they are likelier to get their break right now.

It's another myth that needs putting to bed.

Poll: If Cook had the full season where would we have finished?
Blog: When the Fanzine Comes Around

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024