Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Watching Leeds Sheff United 20:17 - Oct 27 with 8250 viewsReuser_is_God

Blades look quality.

Everything I wish we were.

Evans out
Poll: Are Burgers the new Cheese?

Watching Leeds Sheff United on 20:21 - Oct 27 with 5888 viewsManchesterblue3

Was thinking exactly this, wonder how much they've spent. Wilder doing wonders and so so envious of sheffield united at the moment
Watching Leeds Sheff United on 20:24 - Oct 27 with 5867 viewsSitfcB

The old cliche of 'keeping up the momentum from promotion'.

COYB
Poll: What will today’s 10 pager be
Blog: [Blog] One Year On

Watching Leeds Sheff United on 20:27 - Oct 27 with 5854 viewsm14_blue

They were absolutely superb in the Sheffield derby, made Wednesday's millionaires look ridiculous.
[Post edited 27 Oct 2017 20:28]
Watching Leeds Sheff United on 20:36 - Oct 27 with 5830 viewsFtnfwest

Watching Leeds Sheff United on 20:21 - Oct 27 by Manchesterblue3

Was thinking exactly this, wonder how much they've spent. Wilder doing wonders and so so envious of sheffield united at the moment

Few undisclosed fees and loans but most of the purchases are lower league, would think can't be talking any more than £1.5 - 2m
Watching Leeds Sheff United on 20:51 - Oct 27 with 5795 viewsBeckets

Managed by somebody who cares passionately about the club he's managing
About £3.5M..... on 20:55 - Oct 27 with 5787 viewsBloots

Watching Leeds Sheff United on 20:21 - Oct 27 by Manchesterblue3

....so about 3 times what we have.

TWTD Leadership Group/Elite Level Supporter/Anti-Bullying Crusader

About £3.5M..... on 21:04 - Oct 27 with 5771 viewsReuser_is_God

About £3.5M..... on 20:55 - Oct 27 by Bloots

That's not even 'a few bob' in the modern game really.

Think they got £3m for Calvert-Lewin plus any add one since, it's looks like they reinvested that a lot better than we did the Mings money.

Evans out

Indeed...... on 21:06 - Oct 27 with 5770 viewsBloots

About £3.5M..... on 21:04 - Oct 27 by Reuser_is_God

That's not even 'a few bob' in the modern game really.

Think they got £3m for Calvert-Lewin plus any add one since, it's looks like they reinvested that a lot better than we did the Mings money.

....in as much as they actually did reinvest it.

Login to get fewer ads

Watching Leeds Sheff United on 21:10 - Oct 27 with 5765 viewsWestSussexBlue

Can’t disagree there. They look very good to watch and have drive determination and passion in abundance.
Watching Leeds Sheff United on 21:15 - Oct 27 with 5753 viewsMullet

Very much one of those teams "greater than the sum of its parts" they all had very defined roles against us and you could see that confidence that comes with such a good home record.

Was interesting to think we had such a tight game with them, yet individuals put in such substandard performances and we didn't look anywhere near as solid in 3-5-2 like they did.

Poll: If Cook had the full season where would we have finished?
Blog: When the Fanzine Comes Around

Watching Leeds Sheff United on 21:18 - Oct 27 with 5738 viewsHarry_Palmer

Watching Leeds Sheff United on 21:15 - Oct 27 by Mullet

Very much one of those teams "greater than the sum of its parts" they all had very defined roles against us and you could see that confidence that comes with such a good home record.

Was interesting to think we had such a tight game with them, yet individuals put in such substandard performances and we didn't look anywhere near as solid in 3-5-2 like they did.

Which is exactly what we should be. Why is Mick unable to produce a 'team' with a specific style and game plan after 5 five years?
About £3.5M..... on 21:22 - Oct 27 with 5713 viewsFtnfwest

About £3.5M..... on 20:55 - Oct 27 by Bloots

I think Knudsen, ward, Webster, waggy and garner are the only fees which come to 2.5m although ward didnt play Sunday of course
Watching Leeds Sheff United on 21:26 - Oct 27 with 5702 viewsMullet

Watching Leeds Sheff United on 21:18 - Oct 27 by Harry_Palmer

Which is exactly what we should be. Why is Mick unable to produce a 'team' with a specific style and game plan after 5 five years?

Well he has.

The season he came in, the one after that, then the one after that. Since then it's largely been down to injuries, long term and repeat ones.

We've not had the same 18 to pick from let alone a fully fit one even up to now.

Yeah, but Sheff Utd spent.... on 21:31 - Oct 27 with 5670 viewsBloots

About £3.5M..... on 21:22 - Oct 27 by Ftnfwest

I think Knudsen, ward, Webster, waggy and garner are the only fees which come to 2.5m although ward didnt play Sunday of course

....£3.5M this summer.

They spent £1M on Richard Stearman alone.

We spent that in total this summer.

Watching Leeds Sheff United on 21:35 - Oct 27 with 5641 viewsTractorWood

Watching Leeds Sheff United on 21:26 - Oct 27 by Mullet

Well he has.

The season he came in, the one after that, then the one after that. Since then it's largely been down to injuries, long term and repeat ones.

We've not had the same 18 to pick from let alone a fully fit one even up to now.

Still blaming injuries? Yeh, we'll be top when Hyam and Tommy Smith come back.
[Post edited 27 Oct 2017 21:37]

I know that was then, but it could be again..
Poll: At present who do you think you'll vote for?

Watching Leeds Sheff United on 21:38 - Oct 27 with 5630 viewsMullet

Watching Leeds Sheff United on 21:35 - Oct 27 by TractorWood

Still blaming injuries? Yeh, we'll be top when Hyam and Tommy Smith come back.
[Post edited 27 Oct 2017 21:37]

It's not blame is it? It's just the reality.

He spends the same amount on more players we get lesser ones or deny the kids their chance.

To pretend that we got to the playoffs without a very defined team (almost too defined) would be odd if not dishonest, but to say we've had one since largely comes down to a lack of transfer activity once Mick has set his 22.

Watching Leeds Sheff United on 21:39 - Oct 27 with 5622 viewsHarry_Palmer

Watching Leeds Sheff United on 21:26 - Oct 27 by Mullet

Well he has.

Do you seriously believe that?

We may have had a good team spirit and an effective ( if ugly ) style in the play off season but we have certainly not looked a proper team for a long time now and this is not down to injuries i'm afraid.

Granted, we did have more than our share of injuries at the start of this season but most of them are back now and we still don't look anything like a cohesive unit.

The beauty of creating a team unit like Sheffield Utd is that it doesn't rely on a few outstanding individuals to work. when you get an injury to a player another member of the squad fills in and knows the role he should be playing.

Sheffield Utd have had their injuries as well this season, but you'd not really notice.
Watching Leeds Sheff United on 21:42 - Oct 27 with 5611 viewsTractorWood

Watching Leeds Sheff United on 21:38 - Oct 27 by Mullet

It's not blame is it? It's just the reality.

He spends the same amount on more players we get lesser ones or deny the kids their chance.

To pretend that we got to the playoffs without a very defined team (almost too defined) would be odd if not dishonest, but to say we've had one since largely comes down to a lack of transfer activity once Mick has set his 22.

The reality is that we had a philosophy and a bought in playing staff committed to an ethos. Now we don't and look hapless. Smith, Webster, Huws, Bishop and Huws all spent long spells out last season to think it's some kind of planet aligning bad luck is just naivity and escapism.
[Post edited 27 Oct 2017 21:44]

I know that was then, but it could be again..
Poll: At present who do you think you'll vote for?

Watching Leeds Sheff United on 21:44 - Oct 27 with 5600 viewsMullet

Watching Leeds Sheff United on 21:39 - Oct 27 by Harry_Palmer

Do you seriously believe that?

We may have had a good team spirit and an effective ( if ugly ) style in the play off season but we have certainly not looked a proper team for a long time now and this is not down to injuries i'm afraid.

Granted, we did have more than our share of injuries at the start of this season but most of them are back now and we still don't look anything like a cohesive unit.

The beauty of creating a team unit like Sheffield Utd is that it doesn't rely on a few outstanding individuals to work. when you get an injury to a player another member of the squad fills in and knows the role he should be playing.

Sheffield Utd have had their injuries as well this season, but you'd not really notice.

I have to, it's a fact. To say we "had a good team spirit" and defined style of play and not call it a team is baffling. What exactly is a team then? Especially when were so dominant for the first half of the season and only added Sears.

"Granted, we did have more than our share of injuries at the start of this season but most of them are back now and we still don't look anything like a cohesive unit. " Was exactly my point. Webster has not been fully fit, or anything like the same player since coming back in, Chambers missed 3 weeks was it? Maybe a month?

Adeyemi and Garner clearly weren't 100% on Sunday etc. etc.

You can't really compare us in our current state to the team top of the league and not see us come up short. No one is dismissing the Blunts either here. They've rightly been getting plaudits and praise which makes those so upset we lost 1-0 to them all the more odd too.

Indeed...... on 21:45 - Oct 27 with 5581 viewsReuser_is_God

Indeed...... on 21:06 - Oct 27 by Bloots

....in as much as they actually did reinvest it.

We did reinvest.

Just poorly.

Evans out

Yeah, but Sheff Utd spent.... on 21:47 - Oct 27 with 5566 viewsReuser_is_God

Yeah, but Sheff Utd spent.... on 21:31 - Oct 27 by Bloots

....£3.5M this summer.

They spent £1M on Richard Stearman alone.

We spent that in total this summer.

I'd rather we spent £3.5m & be as good as they are than spend £1m & be as sh1t as we are.

If you could win trophies for spending the least money we'd all be on a European tour years ago.

Evans out

Watching Leeds Sheff United on 21:49 - Oct 27 with 5552 viewsMullet

Watching Leeds Sheff United on 21:42 - Oct 27 by TractorWood

The reality is that we had a philosophy and a bought in playing staff committed to an ethos. Now we don't and look hapless. Smith, Webster, Huws, Bishop and Huws all spent long spells out last season to think it's some kind of planet aligning bad luck is just naivity and escapism.
[Post edited 27 Oct 2017 21:44]

That doesn't really alter the fact we had so many injuries to CM's we relied on Douglas last season most weeks, or we've not had repeats of them since.

You seem to confuse me defending it, with recognising it. At no point did I mention luck either, just the fact we keep losing players and buying ones we can't keep fit.

As for your first edit, the first time we went top of the league under Mick, Tommy Smith scored and it was a bloody good goal too. So it's odd you'd single him out especially when he was definitely crucial to us winning plenty of points at either end that season as was Berra.

Evans out. (n/t) on 21:50 - Oct 27 with 5547 viewsBloots

Yeah, but Sheff Utd spent.... on 21:47 - Oct 27 by Reuser_is_God

I'd rather we spent £3.5m & be as good as they are than spend £1m & be as sh1t as we are.

If you could win trophies for spending the least money we'd all be on a European tour years ago.

Watching Leeds Sheff United on 21:59 - Oct 27 with 5516 viewsHarry_Palmer

Watching Leeds Sheff United on 21:44 - Oct 27 by Mullet

I have to, it's a fact. To say we "had a good team spirit" and defined style of play and not call it a team is baffling. What exactly is a team then? Especially when were so dominant for the first half of the season and only added Sears.

"Granted, we did have more than our share of injuries at the start of this season but most of them are back now and we still don't look anything like a cohesive unit. " Was exactly my point. Webster has not been fully fit, or anything like the same player since coming back in, Chambers missed 3 weeks was it? Maybe a month?

Adeyemi and Garner clearly weren't 100% on Sunday etc. etc.

You can't really compare us in our current state to the team top of the league and not see us come up short. No one is dismissing the Blunts either here. They've rightly been getting plaudits and praise which makes those so upset we lost 1-0 to them all the more odd too.

I never said it was not a team, I acknowledge the play-off side had a defined style and was an effective team unit but that was a long time ago. We have looked less and less like an effective team in the two and a bit seasons since then and I don't think injuries can really be used as an excuse.

It seems to me that MM has become unsure as to what style to adopt and has in some part bowed to pressure from the fans to play a more expansive game, the problem being we are not really employing any defined style now and the players look unsure as to what they are supposed to be doing.

In many ways he would have been better signing a Murphy replacement, sticking to a direct style, and concentrating on being good at it.
Watching Leeds Sheff United on 22:01 - Oct 27 with 5511 viewsJimmy86

The key to their success at the moment is momentum, having come up from league 1, having absolutely smashed it.

Wilder is also 1 of the best managers outside of the premiership and has a settled system that suits the players he has available to him. They are well drilled and the fact he is disappointed in their performance tonight speaks volumes.

Would be good if we could settle on a system with the players available, for a run of games. Constantly changing system doesn't help anyone
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024