Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Blimey, my head’s a bit sore this morning... 11:55 - Oct 29 with 1758 viewsbluewein

After being stuck in London on Friday night after the evacuation at Paddington and deciding to have a few more drinks instead of battling the crowds, it’s fair to say I was a little fragile yesterday. So apologies to Steve M, and also to Mullet and Guthram who I met briefly yesterday in the coopers for sitting there like a miserable sod but I definitely wasn’t feeling it.

That certainly changed at half time. Easily the worst 45 minutes I’ve seen in a long time. I was asked if I wanted to nip on the pitch at half time to kick a ball about which I accepted but by then I just wanted another beer. The thought of humiliating myself whilst hungover, topping up slightly and possibly being asked if I fancied coming on for the second half was too much to take. Honestly, the game was that bad!

Returning for the second half I caught the Burton goal. They hadn’t hit the net in 5 matches and when that sort of record comes up against us it always seems to get broken. So it was no real surprise if I’m being honest. The only thing that did surprise me was how quickly we got back into the game. Against Sheffield Utd and Nodge we had no ideas what to do after they took the lead. Granted, this was Burton and while i admire the way they’ve climbed the leagues and the job Clough is doing there they’ll probably go down as they really are quite poor.

Waghorne continues to impress me. People say playing wide isn’t his best position but he’s done that pretty much his whole career. The fact that he’s scored 7 goals now whilst playing wide is fine by me. Long may it continue. Garner was naturally hard working throughout. The moment that summed him up for me was when he ran from one side of the pitch to the other from a Bart goal kick and out jumped their centre half to flick on to McGoldrick. That sort of battle and determination would fit in with any team in this league and I’d say we’re pretty lucky to get him. Knudsen had a couple of ropey moments, especially towards the end where he tried to take on their winger at left back and lost the ball. Other than that he continues to grow for me. Skuse was his usual decent without being spectacular self, and Chambers and Webster were steady without really being tested. (The latter probably being my man of the match.) Spence continues to be a slight irritant for me. He’s been so useful until recently where his form seems to have dropped massively. Here’s hoping he returns to his steady self. Some nice touches from Didzy and general get the ball and run with no end product from Sears is all I can really use to describe their performances.

And so to the subs. Bru?! Bloody hell, where did that come from? To be fair, he looked ok when he came on and maybe had more ideas about him than Nydam who worked hard but needs more of a bulking up to boss that midfield. His time though, like Dozzell before him will come and then we’ll have a talent on our hands. Ward looked promising and frustrating at the same time, summed up by the woeful cross which he smashed out of play rather than looking up to see that he had quiet a decent amount of options available to him. Not sure if the early promise will ever truly shine through.

And so to Celina. The cries for him to come on were deafening. And when he did it seemed originally to be a complete waste of time. Picking the ball up on the left and cutting inside... and then cutting inside some more... and more... until he lost the ball on the right hand side of the area was highly frustrating. Before the free kick, I held my hands up in anticipation of the ball sailing over the bar. I then held my hands up in jubilation and then to admit I was wrong as the ball hit the back of the net. A smash and grab effort, sending me home having seen my first Town win since Millwall away in August. Which leads to why my head is so sore as the beers were stacked up for the train home and more in to watch the AJ fight.

All in all, an enjoyable day made even better by 3 points and a last minute winner with a bit of quality in it. But we’ll definitely need to be better than that on Tuesday night or Halloween could really live up to it’s nightmare theme.

Poll: What should you have your gammon with...?

Blimey, my head’s a bit sore this morning... on 16:07 - Oct 29 with 1525 viewsMullet

Great to meet you mate albeit briefly.

Poll: If Cook had the full season where would we have finished?
Blog: When the Fanzine Comes Around

Blimey, my head’s a bit sore this morning... on 20:46 - Oct 29 with 1388 viewsbluewein

Blimey, my head’s a bit sore this morning... on 16:07 - Oct 29 by Mullet

You too bud. Once again, apologies for being unsociable but I was rough as.

Poll: What should you have your gammon with...?

Blimey, my head’s a bit sore this morning... on 21:57 - Oct 29 with 1309 viewsGuthrum

Blimey, my head’s a bit sore this morning... on 16:07 - Oct 29 by Mullet

Likewise.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024