Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Petrol heads 10:36 - Oct 30 with 7601 viewshampstead_blue

Just off to test drive an Alfa GT 3.2 V6.
We need a second car.

Anyone ever had one or another Alfa V6?

Assumption is to make an ass out of you and me. Those who assume they know you, when they don't are just guessing. Those who assume and insist they know are daft and in denial. Those who assume, insist, and deny the truth are plain stupid. Those who assume, insist, deny the truth and tell YOU they know you (when they don't) have an IQ in the range of 35-49.
Poll: Best Blackpool goal

Petrol heads on 10:43 - Oct 30 with 6555 viewsblue62

Had an Alfa as all petrol heads should. Must say the build quality on these leaves a lot to be desired. If you are set on one the go for it and it really depends on what you want it for and how big your budget is.
Petrol heads on 10:45 - Oct 30 with 6548 viewsStokieBlue

Won't you think of the Walruses?

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

Petrol heads on 10:59 - Oct 30 with 6526 viewsArcher4721

Horrible rust bucket.
Petrol heads on 11:18 - Oct 30 with 6500 viewsDeano69

I recall going to test drive an Alpha GT not long after they came out. The window wouldn't close, the glove box kept rattling, there were wires poking out the dashboard, it made a weird whining noise when you braked. This was their demonstrator, with the function of enticing buyers.

It was a no from me, despite being very keen to run an Alpha.

Poll: What view setting do you use for TWTD

Petrol heads on 11:27 - Oct 30 with 6486 viewsTIB

Great looking car but older Alfa’s do have their issues. That said, if you keep up with regular checks and take it to a good Alfa garage it should be alright...you’ve got another car as backup so worth the risk to hear that V6!!!

I’ve been to Alfa twice the last six years to get a Guilietta...first time I ended up in an Abarth 500 and second time in a Polo GTi. That said, I’m due a new car next year and they now do the Guilietta in a new Blue which looks incredible.

Poll: How much did you actually think Mick would spend in January?

Petrol heads on 12:11 - Oct 30 with 6440 viewsbluefunk

Petrol heads on 11:27 - Oct 30 by TIB

Great looking car but older Alfa’s do have their issues. That said, if you keep up with regular checks and take it to a good Alfa garage it should be alright...you’ve got another car as backup so worth the risk to hear that V6!!!

I’ve been to Alfa twice the last six years to get a Guilietta...first time I ended up in an Abarth 500 and second time in a Polo GTi. That said, I’m due a new car next year and they now do the Guilietta in a new Blue which looks incredible.

How was that Abarth 500?
Petrol heads on 13:04 - Oct 30 with 6386 viewstractaboy

I had a Blackline edition 1.9 JTDm for a couple of years when I needed a cheaper run about to spank some miles on.

It was fine for the first year, but the second year became expensive as it was at that age when things started wearing out.

New battery
Clutch and dual mass flywheel
ABS light used to come on when it rained
Driver's door handle ( snapped off when opening the door!)
Passenger seat fold cable snapped
Fuel injector fault - developed a misfire that solved itself
Rear brake discs and pads
4 tyres
Front grille trims (fell out when going over speed bumps)
Rear brake light bulb holder - used to bring the bulb warning light on
Leaking radiator
Almost gave me a nervous break down...

However:
Still one of the best handling front wheel drive cars I've ever driven.
Great value for money for specification
Sounded like a tractor, but has nearly the same torque as the V6
Over 600 miles to a tank
Did everything really well
I would always turn back and give it a second glance when I walked away from her, even now it's great looking car.

If I was to have another, it'd be a V6 Cloverleaf edition stunning car.

There's also a place in Bournemouth called Alfashop iirc I used to get new and reclaimed parts from. Those guys knew Alfas inside out.
Petrol heads on 13:08 - Oct 30 with 6376 viewshampstead_blue

WOW what a lot of fun.

Reminded me of my Mk4 Golf R32.
Great throaty burble.

A couple of things to consider but Mrs H and I are liking what we drove.

Thanks for the thoughts.

Assumption is to make an ass out of you and me. Those who assume they know you, when they don't are just guessing. Those who assume and insist they know are daft and in denial. Those who assume, insist, and deny the truth are plain stupid. Those who assume, insist, deny the truth and tell YOU they know you (when they don't) have an IQ in the range of 35-49.

Login to get fewer ads

Petrol heads on 13:18 - Oct 30 with 6353 viewspimballwizard

I had an Alpha Spider a few years back but the 3 reverse gears were confusing
Petrol heads on 14:15 - Oct 30 with 6305 viewsTIB

Petrol heads on 12:11 - Oct 30 by bluefunk

How was that Abarth 500?

Honestly...one of the best cars I have owned. People have issues with Fiat, but I had 2 Punto's prior...one I got to 148k miles...at which point it had no power steering, third gear and was being hot wired as I snapped the final key. The other I sold just short of 100k. Great cars though that served me well.

The Abarth though was just fun every time I got in it. Great styling inside and out...turbo boost gauge on the dash which told you when to shift...it stuck to the road like glue and the 1.4 turbo engine flew...oh and to top it off...the exhaust note was on point!!! Just a crazy little Italian go kart. I have toyed with getting another one next year...ideally I want the 695 Biposto but not sure I can deal with a car without a stereo

Petrol heads on 14:23 - Oct 30 with 6297 viewsNo9

I had an Alfa V6 GTV, one of the best cars I owned, like all performance cars needs to be properly maintained and works on by tech's who know what they are doing = that is a price you pay for having something a little bit different.
The Alfa V6 engine is wonderful & mechanic the vehicle is generally superb rear supsension needs to be looked after other than that It should give you much pleasure.
Petrol heads on 16:16 - Oct 30 with 6249 viewsNewcyBlue

Petrol heads on 13:08 - Oct 30 by hampstead_blue

WOW what a lot of fun.

Reminded me of my Mk4 Golf R32.
Great throaty burble.

A couple of things to consider but Mrs H and I are liking what we drove.

Thanks for the thoughts.

A few pointers
A few pointers for buying a used car

-Open the bonnet when you get there. Have a feel of the radiator hose. If it is hot they may have run the car up to cover up cold start problems, engine noises, etc
-Look for any oil on the engine block, pull the dipstick out and check the colour of the oil. Open the oil filler cap and see if there is any sludge / mayonnaise looking stuff. The mayonnaise stuff may just be condensation, or it may be something more sinister.
-When starting the car look for excessive exhaust fumes, different coloured smoke means different things.
-Bodywork, is it all the same colour. Does any of the paint look like orange peel? The orange peel effect is from a poor paintjob, and could be a sign of a previous accident.
-Are there any differing gaps between any of the panels? Does it look the same on both sides?
-Are the door and window seals in tact?
-Check to see all warning lights come on when turning the ignition on, ensure they extinguish upon starting the engine.
-Does the clutch feel ok? Is there any noise at any point of depressing the clutch pedal?
-When driving is there any excessive play in the steering? Do the brakes work adequately? Are there any unusual noises? Does the steering wobble at speed or under heavy braking? When braking does the car pull to one side?
-Check all equipment is working, lights, wipers, washers, ventilation, windows, mirrors, central locking.
-Check the wheels and tyres. Are locking wheel nuts fitted? If so is the locking wheel nut key with the car?. Check the tread on the tyres. Check the sidewall for bulges
-Paperwork, check service history. Anything 60k plus and you want to be checking if the cambelt has been changed. Check the V5C for spelling mistakes, does the address match the one of the seller. Is the seller the registered keeper? If not, why?

Poll: Who has been the best Bond?

Petrol heads on 18:15 - Oct 30 with 6205 viewsWestSussexBlue

I would bear in mind the cost of fuel if this is purely a second car.
3.2 V6 is gonna be heavy on petrol as well as tax.
Petrol heads on 20:15 - Oct 30 with 6147 viewshochiblue

I had a 164 t-Spark. The best car to drive I've had, especially once the supplying garage pointed out to me that the red line on the rev counter was to tell you when to change gear!
Suspension re-build at 18000 miles, really expected better than that.
Petrol heads on 21:14 - Oct 30 with 6106 viewsKuqicoo

Petrol heads on 14:15 - Oct 30 by TIB

Honestly...one of the best cars I have owned. People have issues with Fiat, but I had 2 Punto's prior...one I got to 148k miles...at which point it had no power steering, third gear and was being hot wired as I snapped the final key. The other I sold just short of 100k. Great cars though that served me well.

The Abarth though was just fun every time I got in it. Great styling inside and out...turbo boost gauge on the dash which told you when to shift...it stuck to the road like glue and the 1.4 turbo engine flew...oh and to top it off...the exhaust note was on point!!! Just a crazy little Italian go kart. I have toyed with getting another one next year...ideally I want the 695 Biposto but not sure I can deal with a car without a stereo

I got myself an Abarth 595 in January. Cracking little car Love the growl of the exhaust and the go cart feel. Ive owned a Mini Cooper before but the Abarth is more fun. Makes me smile whenever I'm behind the wheel!
Petrol heads on 21:30 - Oct 30 with 6097 viewsbluefunk

Petrol heads on 14:15 - Oct 30 by TIB

Thanks for that my wife really likes it, but it sounds like a car I could drive too!!
Petrol heads on 21:43 - Oct 30 with 6079 viewssouthnorfolkblue

I had a 156 2.5 V6. Beautiful car, which sounded great. Pretty reliable apart from an aircon system that had a mind of its own. One of my fave cars

Poll: Our final position

Petrol heads on 21:45 - Oct 30 with 6077 viewsMaySixth

End of the bell.

Poll: Ladapo or Hirst to start up front against Peterborough?

Petrol heads on 21:57 - Oct 30 with 6066 viewsTIB

Petrol heads on 21:14 - Oct 30 by Kuqicoo

I got myself an Abarth 595 in January. Cracking little car Love the growl of the exhaust and the go cart feel. Ive owned a Mini Cooper before but the Abarth is more fun. Makes me smile whenever I'm behind the wheel!

What colour did you go for? Just been looking and it would appear the 595 is around the same numbers as my GTi which is appealing. Some great options on the Abarth’s to real make them your own.

Is yours the Monza exhaust? Just saw they have a limited edition one out called Rivale which comes with the Akrapovic exhaust.
[Post edited 30 Oct 2017 21:58]

Petrol heads on 22:26 - Oct 30 with 6037 viewsKuqicoo

Petrol heads on 21:57 - Oct 30 by TIB

What colour did you go for? Just been looking and it would appear the 595 is around the same numbers as my GTi which is appealing. Some great options on the Abarth’s to real make them your own.

Is yours the Monza exhaust? Just saw they have a limited edition one out called Rivale which comes with the Akrapovic exhaust.
[Post edited 30 Oct 2017 21:58]

I went for metallic podium blue. I did intend to have it in white but changed my mind last minute. Yellow also crossed my mind!
There are loads of options it is easy to get carried away. Sadly I only had a few extras due to financial limits (podium blue, 17 inch 5 spoke petal wheels, tinted rear windows. Got the standard exhaust but it still makes a nice note. Maybe next time I'll go up a level!
Petrol heads on 22:46 - Oct 30 with 6025 viewsMJallday

Petrol heads on 10:43 - Oct 30 by blue62

Had an Alfa as all petrol heads should. Must say the build quality on these leaves a lot to be desired. If you are set on one the go for it and it really depends on what you want it for and how big your budget is.

a terrible cliche bought about because of a whim from clarkson

in reality, they are bog average cars, and drive no better than a vauxhall astra. and yes ive driven one lots.

incidently, the 3.2 v6s alfas is quite underpowered for what it is - one tried to keep up with me in my ST on the m5 couple of years ago. didnt end well for him. needs another 40-50 bhp IMO. i think you can chip them, but alfas and electronics dont historically play nicely...

Stilton eating Participant - 1977 to Present Day
Poll: Will you be renewing if you are an existing ST Holder - given todays news?

Petrol heads on 09:29 - Oct 31 with 5950 viewsTIB

Petrol heads on 22:26 - Oct 30 by Kuqicoo

I went for metallic podium blue. I did intend to have it in white but changed my mind last minute. Yellow also crossed my mind!
There are loads of options it is easy to get carried away. Sadly I only had a few extras due to financial limits (podium blue, 17 inch 5 spoke petal wheels, tinted rear windows. Got the standard exhaust but it still makes a nice note. Maybe next time I'll go up a level!

Sounds like a nicely put together Abarth. I do like the way they can be individualised with all the options. The Modena Yellow looks good but I could never bring myself to drive a yellow car, it just would't feel right

Petrol heads on 12:14 - Oct 31 with 5918 viewsNo9

Petrol heads on 09:29 - Oct 31 by TIB

Sounds like a nicely put together Abarth. I do like the way they can be individualised with all the options. The Modena Yellow looks good but I could never bring myself to drive a yellow car, it just would't feel right

Yellow= Enzo Ferrari's favourite colour
Petrol heads on 14:08 - Oct 31 with 5874 viewshampstead_blue

Turns out the squeaking we heard from the front right is the suspension.
Needs new wishbones at least on both sides.

We're going to swerve that particular car.

Checking another one this Friday.

We've also booked a test drive in a WRX STI Impreza being sold by an RAF chap.
Looking forward to that!

Petrol heads on 17:28 - Oct 31 with 5816 viewsNo9

Petrol heads on 22:46 - Oct 30 by MJallday

a terrible cliche bought about because of a whim from clarkson

in reality, they are bog average cars, and drive no better than a vauxhall astra. and yes ive driven one lots.

incidently, the 3.2 v6s alfas is quite underpowered for what it is - one tried to keep up with me in my ST on the m5 couple of years ago. didnt end well for him. needs another 40-50 bhp IMO. i think you can chip them, but alfas and electronics dont historically play nicely...

Are you saying the Alfa couldn't reach 70 MPH = the speed limi on the M5?
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024