Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Liverpool Lib Dem leader wants to ban the Coca-Cola truck 11:23 - Oct 31 with 10213 viewsJ2BLUE

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-merseyside-41810436

I'm quite sad so i'd quite like to see the Christmas truck lit up. I wouldn't then drink my first full sugar Coke for over a decade. Clearly people are too stupid to make their own decisions. Just realised i've set Facters up brilliantly for a Brexit comment there...

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Liverpool Lib Dem leader wants to ban the Coca-Cola truck on 11:38 - Oct 31 with 7519 viewsBasuco

I think it contains about 17 tea spoons of sugar per can and cannot see how anyone can drink it or a can of any full sugar fizzy pop. It is great for clearing a blocked or slow sink plug so it does have it's uses.
Liverpool Lib Dem leader wants to ban the Coca-Cola truck on 11:46 - Oct 31 with 7510 viewsStokieBlue

Liverpool Lib Dem leader wants to ban the Coca-Cola truck on 11:38 - Oct 31 by Basuco

I think it contains about 17 tea spoons of sugar per can and cannot see how anyone can drink it or a can of any full sugar fizzy pop. It is great for clearing a blocked or slow sink plug so it does have it's uses.

Good for hangovers.

Nothing else though.

Was the Lib Dem guy also critical of Chang beer sponsoring Everton these last few years?

SB
[Post edited 31 Oct 2017 11:48]

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

Liverpool Lib Dem leader wants to ban the Coca-Cola truck on 11:53 - Oct 31 with 7498 viewsitfcjoe

I do like a can of coke, but very rarely drink it as so bad for you.

Tough balance to strike, Govt should be doing more about the obesity crisis and need to be legislating on food standards and unhealthiness of certain things - but people are too stupid to realise, or too ignorant maybe - I was for a long time.

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Liverpool Lib Dem leader wants to ban the Coca-Cola truck on 12:04 - Oct 31 with 7468 viewsStuartBrett8

I realise Coca-Cola own the Christmas branding and some people need to see it to start their holidays... did any of you see the comments on Mark Murphy's facebook post? A bit over the top for what is basically a shiny truck with lights on?

Stop the world, I want to get off
Poll: What should we do with Frank Nouble?

Liverpool Lib Dem leader wants to ban the Coca-Cola truck on 12:04 - Oct 31 with 7466 viewscaught-in-limbo

Advertising works. Coca-Cola aren't driving a massive truck around British cities because they want to make the place look Christmassy.

#toxic
Poll: BREXIT - Hard, soft, phantom ...

Liverpool Lib Dem leader wants to ban the Coca-Cola truck on 12:17 - Oct 31 with 7436 viewsJ2BLUE

Liverpool Lib Dem leader wants to ban the Coca-Cola truck on 12:04 - Oct 31 by caught-in-limbo

Advertising works. Coca-Cola aren't driving a massive truck around British cities because they want to make the place look Christmassy.

Well, obviously.

Truly impaired.

Liverpool Lib Dem leader wants to ban the Coca-Cola truck on 12:29 - Oct 31 with 7415 viewscaught-in-limbo

Liverpool Lib Dem leader wants to ban the Coca-Cola truck on 12:17 - Oct 31 by J2BLUE

Well, obviously.

So, it's a good idea to ban the cola truck and it has little to do with people being too stupid to make their own decisions.

#toxic

Liverpool Lib Dem leader wants to ban the Coca-Cola truck on 12:29 - Oct 31 with 7413 viewsfactual_blue

Full sugar coke drinking and voting for brexit. Fairly obvious Venn diagram I'd have thought.

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

Login to get fewer ads

Liverpool Lib Dem leader wants to ban the Coca-Cola truck on 12:35 - Oct 31 with 7396 viewsJ2BLUE

Liverpool Lib Dem leader wants to ban the Coca-Cola truck on 12:29 - Oct 31 by caught-in-limbo

So, it's a good idea to ban the cola truck and it has little to do with people being too stupid to make their own decisions.

Disagree. It's advertising, obviously, but so what? Doesn't force anyone to buy their products and people just associate it with Christmas. The public get something out of it and so do Coke. IIRC even the lights and tree in Ipswich have advertising around them.

I don't see the issue.

Truly impaired.

Liverpool Lib Dem leader wants to ban the Coca-Cola truck on 12:53 - Oct 31 with 7376 viewsStokieBlue

Liverpool Lib Dem leader wants to ban the Coca-Cola truck on 12:29 - Oct 31 by caught-in-limbo

If the product is so bad surely you should ban the product rather than the advertising of the product?

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

Liverpool Lib Dem leader wants to ban the Coca-Cola truck on 13:24 - Oct 31 with 7333 viewsbrazil1982

Good luck to him - he has no power at all to ban anything.
Liverpool Lib Dem leader wants to ban the Coca-Cola truck on 14:37 - Oct 31 with 7272 viewscaught-in-limbo

Liverpool Lib Dem leader wants to ban the Coca-Cola truck on 12:35 - Oct 31 by J2BLUE

Disagree. It's advertising, obviously, but so what? Doesn't force anyone to buy their products and people just associate it with Christmas. The public get something out of it and so do Coke. IIRC even the lights and tree in Ipswich have advertising around them.

I don't see the issue.

But why would you want your kids growing up associating Christmas with a really unhealthy and somewhat addictive drink?

You seem to miss the point about advertising. Advertising doesn't force you to buy stuff - the sort of large scale advertising which Coca-Cola engages in generally works at the subconscious level as well as the "Mum, why can't I have a Coke like all the normal, hyperactive and sugar-dependent kids in my class?" level.
[Post edited 31 Oct 2017 14:48]

#toxic

Liverpool Lib Dem leader wants to ban the Coca-Cola truck on 14:40 - Oct 31 with 7271 viewscaught-in-limbo

Liverpool Lib Dem leader wants to ban the Coca-Cola truck on 12:53 - Oct 31 by StokieBlue

If the product is so bad surely you should ban the product rather than the advertising of the product?

SB

Then we go back to the nanny state argument again.

I think people should be free to put what they like in their mouths (as long as it doesn't harm others), but associating an unhealthy and sugar laden drink with something deeply cultural like Christmas is ugly.

#toxic

Liverpool Lib Dem leader wants to ban the Coca-Cola truck on 14:44 - Oct 31 with 7264 viewshype313

Liverpool Lib Dem leader wants to ban the Coca-Cola truck on 14:40 - Oct 31 by caught-in-limbo

Then we go back to the nanny state argument again.

I think people should be free to put what they like in their mouths (as long as it doesn't harm others), but associating an unhealthy and sugar laden drink with something deeply cultural like Christmas is ugly.

People should be free to put whatever they like in their mouths but given the amount of sugar that is in a can it needs to be taxed like fags are.

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

Liverpool Lib Dem leader wants to ban the Coca-Cola truck on 14:47 - Oct 31 with 7261 viewsSteve_M

Of course not, the advertising is aimed at mothers anyway.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Liverpool Lib Dem leader wants to ban the Coca-Cola truck on 14:49 - Oct 31 with 7247 viewsGlasgowBlue

Liverpool Lib Dem leader wants to ban the Coca-Cola truck on 14:37 - Oct 31 by caught-in-limbo

But why would you want your kids growing up associating Christmas with a really unhealthy and somewhat addictive drink?

You seem to miss the point about advertising. Advertising doesn't force you to buy stuff - the sort of large scale advertising which Coca-Cola engages in generally works at the subconscious level as well as the "Mum, why can't I have a Coke like all the normal, hyperactive and sugar-dependent kids in my class?" level.
[Post edited 31 Oct 2017 14:48]

Should we stop taking our children to watch Ipswich as we play in a league sponsored not only by the evil that is Ruprt Murdoch, but by one of his betting companies? Surely thast sends out a bad signal to our children?

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

Liverpool Lib Dem leader wants to ban the Coca-Cola truck on 14:50 - Oct 31 with 7244 viewscaught-in-limbo

Liverpool Lib Dem leader wants to ban the Coca-Cola truck on 14:47 - Oct 31 by Steve_M

Of course not, the advertising is aimed at mothers anyway.

Actually, it's more aimed at kids who then pester their mums to behave like "normal" mums.

#toxic

Liverpool Lib Dem leader wants to ban the Coca-Cola truck on 14:54 - Oct 31 with 7233 viewscaught-in-limbo

Liverpool Lib Dem leader wants to ban the Coca-Cola truck on 14:49 - Oct 31 by GlasgowBlue

Should we stop taking our children to watch Ipswich as we play in a league sponsored not only by the evil that is Ruprt Murdoch, but by one of his betting companies? Surely thast sends out a bad signal to our children?

Children learn most from example. I'm happy to take my kids to the match, but I wouldn't dream of buying Sky TV.

#toxic

Liverpool Lib Dem leader wants to ban the Coca-Cola truck on 14:56 - Oct 31 with 7223 viewscaught-in-limbo

Liverpool Lib Dem leader wants to ban the Coca-Cola truck on 14:44 - Oct 31 by hype313

People should be free to put whatever they like in their mouths but given the amount of sugar that is in a can it needs to be taxed like fags are.

I agree completely. I think the manufacturer should pay at least half the cost of the tax too.

#toxic

Liverpool Lib Dem leader wants to ban the Coca-Cola truck on 14:56 - Oct 31 with 7222 viewsGlasgowBlue

Liverpool Lib Dem leader wants to ban the Coca-Cola truck on 14:54 - Oct 31 by caught-in-limbo

Children learn most from example. I'm happy to take my kids to the match, but I wouldn't dream of buying Sky TV.

But SKYBET have their advertising all over the place. Don't see much diference with thast and the Coke lorry.

For most people the odd can of Coke (too sweet for me) doesn't do any harm. Nor does the odd flutter on the gee gees.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

Liverpool Lib Dem leader wants to ban the Coca-Cola truck on 15:03 - Oct 31 with 7210 viewsbaxterbasics

I feel disturbed as a standard reflex action any time a politician calls for something to be banned, particularly something so trivial. Pure 'nanny statism'.

In a similar vein to an earlier comment - I'm much more concerned about the prevalence of gambling adverts and sponsorship. If we must get into banning things, lets start there.

zip
Poll: Your minimum standard of 'success' for our return to The Championship?

Liverpool Lib Dem leader wants to ban the Coca-Cola truck on 15:03 - Oct 31 with 7209 viewscaught-in-limbo

Liverpool Lib Dem leader wants to ban the Coca-Cola truck on 14:56 - Oct 31 by GlasgowBlue

But SKYBET have their advertising all over the place. Don't see much diference with thast and the Coke lorry.

For most people the odd can of Coke (too sweet for me) doesn't do any harm. Nor does the odd flutter on the gee gees.

Christmas is a deeply cultural/religious/family/social/peaceful time of year. The sponsorship of a family event like Father Christmas coming to the city centre is wholly inappropriate and works for Coca Cola with regards to early adoption of their product by the youngest in society with subconscious connections to all of the above cultural factors. That's why they do it.
[Post edited 31 Oct 2017 15:16]

#toxic

Liverpool Lib Dem leader wants to ban the Coca-Cola truck on 15:15 - Oct 31 with 7194 viewssundaze

Liverpool Lib Dem leader wants to ban the Coca-Cola truck on 14:49 - Oct 31 by GlasgowBlue

Many people stopped taking their children to watch Ipswich because they are sponsored by Marcus Evans.
Liverpool Lib Dem leader wants to ban the Coca-Cola truck on 15:15 - Oct 31 with 7193 viewscaught-in-limbo

Liverpool Lib Dem leader wants to ban the Coca-Cola truck on 15:03 - Oct 31 by baxterbasics

I feel disturbed as a standard reflex action any time a politician calls for something to be banned, particularly something so trivial. Pure 'nanny statism'.

In a similar vein to an earlier comment - I'm much more concerned about the prevalence of gambling adverts and sponsorship. If we must get into banning things, lets start there.

You need to look at the dangers of sugar. I'd sooner have my daughter have a cigarette than have all the sugar which goes into a standard a can of fizzy drink.

Also, gambling is an adult vice, so they have a lot more control over their habits than little kids do over their sugar intake.

#toxic

Liverpool Lib Dem leader wants to ban the Coca-Cola truck on 15:16 - Oct 31 with 7193 viewsblue_oyster

Liverpool Lib Dem leader wants to ban the Coca-Cola truck on 15:03 - Oct 31 by caught-in-limbo

Christmas is a deeply cultural/religious/family/social/peaceful time of year. The sponsorship of a family event like Father Christmas coming to the city centre is wholly inappropriate and works for Coca Cola with regards to early adoption of their product by the youngest in society with subconscious connections to all of the above cultural factors. That's why they do it.
[Post edited 31 Oct 2017 15:16]

The shops get quite busy too I've noticed

Conventional wisdom is the enemy of thought.
Poll: Who is the most hated contributor to this site?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024