Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Winter running advice... 12:46 - Nov 1 with 7257 viewsitfcjoe

....not really done much - and have tended to run in shorts and t-shirt normally bu getting quite cold.

Hit me up with advice for under armour, hats, gloves, tights etc as I need to train through the winter.

Don't really know where to start but when I did Park Run I wore a thin jacket as was too cold and ended up sweating my nuts off after about 2k!

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Winter running advice... on 12:47 - Nov 1 with 6738 viewsSpruceMoose

Skis?

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."
Poll: Selectamod

Winter running advice... on 13:10 - Nov 1 with 6695 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

A good cold gear base layer will keep you warm but not too sweaty. I tend to go UnderArmour Just because it’s very much their industry but I’m sure other brands work just as well. Don’t personally go for tights/leg base layers - cold legs don’t seem to be an issue for me but know others that do so personal preference really

Never run in a hat as get sweaty pretty much immediately, but find gloves useful on occasion

It’s a difficult one as sometimes what you want immediately you don’t want after 5 mins - so can be useful sometimes to warm up then dump a layer

Highlighting crass stupidity since sometime around 2010
Poll: Would you want Messi to sign?

Winter running advice... on 13:23 - Nov 1 with 6672 viewsfactual_blue

I'd advise staying in with a nice mug of hot chocolate.

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

Winter running advice... on 13:26 - Nov 1 with 6660 viewsSteve_M

Winter running advice... on 13:10 - Nov 1 by C_HealyIsAPleasure

A good cold gear base layer will keep you warm but not too sweaty. I tend to go UnderArmour Just because it’s very much their industry but I’m sure other brands work just as well. Don’t personally go for tights/leg base layers - cold legs don’t seem to be an issue for me but know others that do so personal preference really

Never run in a hat as get sweaty pretty much immediately, but find gloves useful on occasion

It’s a difficult one as sometimes what you want immediately you don’t want after 5 mins - so can be useful sometimes to warm up then dump a layer

Yeah, mainly this. I do have a pair of running tights but hardly wore them as it's not usually that cold in the UK. A hat is too much, don't tend to worry with gloves either.

The base layer is the key.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Winter running advice... on 13:27 - Nov 1 with 6652 viewsitfcjoe

Winter running advice... on 13:10 - Nov 1 by C_HealyIsAPleasure

All the ones I could see were Heat Gear which didn't seem to be what I wanted so glad there is a Cold Gear base layer.

I'll try that for now, I get very hot quite quickly so don't want to layer up too much so hopefully that works for now

Winter running advice... on 14:04 - Nov 1 with 6605 viewsThisIsMyUsername

I'd recommend taking the car - you can have a heater that way.

Poll: Which of these events will happen the soonest?

Winter running advice... on 14:28 - Nov 1 with 6584 viewsGlasgowBlue

Nike do a very good lightweight padded jacket which means you only need a t shirt underneath so you are not carrying too much weight.

I have this jacket (copy link) which cost a few quid but if you know of a Nike outlet then you can pick one up for about £90.

http://images.asos-media.com/products/nike-running-aeroloft-down-filled-padded-g

Get some tight leggings with shorts over the top. Lightweight gloves.

You don't want hats or snoods as you will start warming up naturaly after a couple of miles and will feel uncomfortable.

Bear in mind it's fookin freezing up here so you will a few degrees warmer.
[Post edited 1 Nov 2017 14:29]

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

Winter running advice... on 14:30 - Nov 1 with 6576 viewsSwansea_Blue

I'd recommend:

- A thermal base layer. I've always used Helly Hansen, but anything will work. I avoid compressing tops myself as they make me feel colder, but that's probably a personal thing. T-shirt goes over the top for extra warmth and it seems to help wicking.
- a thin running-specific hat or head band that covers your ears. You'll only need this if it hits freezing or there's a very cold wind. A normal wooly / fleece one will be too hot.
- thin, running specific gloves. Again, normal ones will be too hot.
- something long for legs. I use running tights, but they're not flattering!
- slightly thicker socks if you can get away with it with your shoe fitting. Merino running socks are good, but it's a personal.

I went out at first light this morning (clear and crisp, with the temp hovering just above 0C) and needed all of the above.

If you want to be out in all weathers, I'd also recommend:
- a light waterproof running jacket
- gortex (or similar) running shoes - trail shoes ideally. This will let you get off the beaten track, deal with more mud/water in winter, and cope with snow if we get any.
- maybe a light fleece (or baggier base layer) so you can double up layers on very cold days

That should cover all bases for most weather the UK can throw at you.

And remember most stuff is overpriced and most stuff is much of a muchness despite what their marketing chimps tell you in the adverts.

Wiggle or similar online retailers will often sell stuff at a fraction of mrp. Last year's clearance stuff is fine.
[Post edited 1 Nov 2017 14:33]

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Login to get fewer ads

Winter running advice... on 14:44 - Nov 1 with 6551 viewsKing_of_Portman_Rd

Under Armour are probably the best 'mid range' gear you can get at the price they are set. I have some leggings and long sleeve tops which are very comfy and fit a wide range of shapes and sizes.

Personally I prefer my 2XU or Skins A200 compression leggings (but they are double the price at least) My advice would be get a decent pair of tops and bottoms which can be worn under your usual clobber and a lightweight jacket (showerproof)
Winter running advice... on 15:58 - Nov 1 with 6488 viewsSwansea_Blue

Winter running advice... on 14:28 - Nov 1 by GlasgowBlue

Nike do a very good lightweight padded jacket which means you only need a t shirt underneath so you are not carrying too much weight.

I have this jacket (copy link) which cost a few quid but if you know of a Nike outlet then you can pick one up for about £90.

http://images.asos-media.com/products/nike-running-aeroloft-down-filled-padded-g

Get some tight leggings with shorts over the top. Lightweight gloves.

You don't want hats or snoods as you will start warming up naturaly after a couple of miles and will feel uncomfortable.

Bear in mind it's fookin freezing up here so you will a few degrees warmer.
[Post edited 1 Nov 2017 14:29]

That looks good - I'll see if I can get hold of one of those (or similar) as we're already below freezing at dawn in Maine and will end up getting much colder.

Winter running advice... on 16:02 - Nov 1 with 6478 viewsJohnny_Boy

You should opt for the "Boris" look.

A rugby shirt, a pair of Bermuda shorts & an odd pair of football socks.
Winter running advice... on 16:19 - Nov 1 with 6451 viewsITFC_Forever

I've certainly noticed the temperature drop in the last couple of weeks.... but not yet run through the winter.

I got a couple of Karrimor (yes, I know, Sports Direct trash) tops with a lining on the front and these are pretty good, and I think they'll be fine for another 10 deg down from where we are now.

Shorts will be fine for me, played football for years through the depths of winter and my legs have never been bothered by the cold.

Levelling out in the 34 minute-something for 4 miles at the moment, although managed 34.00 a couple of weeks ago.

Also managed 54.32 for 10k and 25.50 for 5k recently as well.

P 1123, W 500, D 287, L 336, F 1704, A 1356
Blog: Confessions of a Statto - Why We Bother

Winter running advice... on 17:30 - Nov 1 with 6415 viewsgerard1947

I loved running in the winter. I wore Ron Hill Tracksters, plus a long sleeved t shirt. I found this enough even on the coldest and wettest of days. When I finished a run my legs and body glowed red!

I always liked to run off road, the muddier the better. I ran in New Balance off-road studded trainers, they never dried out. That was the worse bit, putting on cold wet trainers. They soon warmed up. It was a lot harder physically running off-road I found running on the roads a doddle in comparison.
Winter running advice... on 17:38 - Nov 1 with 6399 viewsJ2BLUE

Stay safe in the dark people. I think these are great:

https://www.livingsocial.co.uk/deal/shop/5866163/beanie-led-headlamp-6-99?usr_sr

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Winter running advice... on 17:41 - Nov 1 with 6393 viewshampstead_blue

good old fashioned Ron Hills, helly hansen (long sleeved, and a hat.

Worked for me when I was in.

Assumption is to make an ass out of you and me. Those who assume they know you, when they don't are just guessing. Those who assume and insist they know are daft and in denial. Those who assume, insist, and deny the truth are plain stupid. Those who assume, insist, deny the truth and tell YOU they know you (when they don't) have an IQ in the range of 35-49.
Poll: Best Blackpool goal

Winter running advice... on 19:28 - Nov 1 with 6330 viewsTractorWood

Under armour is decent. Their underwear (gross I know) is amazing and their base layers and thin running tops are really good. I like gloves and and hat too when it's really cold.

Maybe consider some fell shoes if you are running off road for variety in the winter. Solomon are generally considered the best.

Did Bury half marathon on Sunday so am resting up this week and eating through the calorie deficit.

Most importantly make sure you warm up and cool down properly. If just start running from a dead start you'll struggle.

I know that was then, but it could be again..
Poll: At present who do you think you'll vote for?

Winter running advice... on 19:35 - Nov 1 with 6321 viewsITFC_Forever

Winter running advice... on 16:19 - Nov 1 by ITFC_Forever

I've certainly noticed the temperature drop in the last couple of weeks.... but not yet run through the winter.

I got a couple of Karrimor (yes, I know, Sports Direct trash) tops with a lining on the front and these are pretty good, and I think they'll be fine for another 10 deg down from where we are now.

Shorts will be fine for me, played football for years through the depths of winter and my legs have never been bothered by the cold.

Levelling out in the 34 minute-something for 4 miles at the moment, although managed 34.00 a couple of weeks ago.

Also managed 54.32 for 10k and 25.50 for 5k recently as well.

4 miles in 33.35 tonight. 25 seconds off my PB, pretty pleased with that.

Winter running advice... on 19:58 - Nov 1 with 6305 viewsNSL

I spent a bit and got a lightweight Asics jacket and Asics windstopper leggings. Both are 3 years old now amd been washed hundreds of times but are still in great condition. Skins are also good but found they get a bit loose / out of shape after a while.

Poll: Who was primarily at fault for the defensive mix-up yesterday?

Winter running advice... on 20:35 - Nov 1 with 6269 viewsitfcjoe

Winter running advice... on 19:28 - Nov 1 by TractorWood

Under armour is decent. Their underwear (gross I know) is amazing and their base layers and thin running tops are really good. I like gloves and and hat too when it's really cold.

Maybe consider some fell shoes if you are running off road for variety in the winter. Solomon are generally considered the best.

Did Bury half marathon on Sunday so am resting up this week and eating through the calorie deficit.

Most importantly make sure you warm up and cool down properly. If just start running from a dead start you'll struggle.

I've bought a Nike warm base layer from Sports Direct - just jumped out for a little 3.2k and was comfy and warm and should do the trick - you don't realise how sweaty you are wearing it until you take it off!

I'll stick to roads as have form for twisting my ankle so try not to go too far off the beaten track where possible

How did Bury half go? I'm planning to run every day in November to challenge myself

Winter running advice... on 20:44 - Nov 1 with 6258 viewsWD19

Know the feeling. Definitely 'felt the cold' as the result of some loose fitting shorts earlier this week.

Most running gear starts to smell like a tramps underpants pretty quickly, so I am using cheap karrimor stuff and just binning it when it is beyond redemption. Not gone for the tights yet......but knee length compression socks and a long sleeve running top will see me OK for a few weeks yet I think.
Winter running advice... on 22:08 - Nov 1 with 6209 viewsTractorWood

Winter running advice... on 20:35 - Nov 1 by itfcjoe

I've bought a Nike warm base layer from Sports Direct - just jumped out for a little 3.2k and was comfy and warm and should do the trick - you don't realise how sweaty you are wearing it until you take it off!

I'll stick to roads as have form for twisting my ankle so try not to go too far off the beaten track where possible

How did Bury half go? I'm planning to run every day in November to challenge myself

Great work. It's just about finding what works for you and getting comfortable. Bury was good but 6 minutes off my PB of 1:53 but I did set that 5 years ago. Started really well but just ran out of puff after 9 miles and pootled home. Running more than 110% of a distance you've recently run is so difficult mentally and physically.

If you're upping the mileage, do it gradually and make sure to rest lots. It's much better to sit tight than to overtrain. Running everyday in November is ambitious. A few years ago I tried running 6 miles every day and see how long I could do it for. On day 5 I was basically ruined as fatigue just culminates.

I know that was then, but it could be again..
Poll: At present who do you think you'll vote for?

Winter running advice... on 22:14 - Nov 1 with 6201 viewsITFC_Forever

Winter running advice... on 20:35 - Nov 1 by itfcjoe

Running every day sounds like a big ask... especially (and I don’t mean to be rude) for a newcomer to running.

When I started, I was far too keen and went out every night and promptly ended up with shin splints for a couple of weeks. Now, I never do two days in a row and feel fine. I do two or three times a week and that suits me just right.
Admittedly you’re younger than me, and I guess if you keep it to fairly small distances you might be ok. I’ll be intrigued to see how the month progresses.

Winter running advice... on 22:46 - Nov 1 with 6165 viewsCurrie10

My tip would be avoid until the Spring ;)

Serious note, whatever you feel cumfy with.
Winter running advice... on 22:53 - Nov 1 with 6153 viewsSwansea_Blue

Winter running advice... on 17:30 - Nov 1 by gerard1947

I loved running in the winter. I wore Ron Hill Tracksters, plus a long sleeved t shirt. I found this enough even on the coldest and wettest of days. When I finished a run my legs and body glowed red!

I always liked to run off road, the muddier the better. I ran in New Balance off-road studded trainers, they never dried out. That was the worse bit, putting on cold wet trainers. They soon warmed up. It was a lot harder physically running off-road I found running on the roads a doddle in comparison.

Sounds great. I've still got a pair of tracksters! Back home on Gower our nearest woods are always wet and muddy with added floods and river crossings in winter. I love it! Rarely dry but great fun.

Winter running advice... on 08:16 - Nov 2 with 6053 viewsitfcjoe

Winter running advice... on 22:08 - Nov 1 by TractorWood

Great work. It's just about finding what works for you and getting comfortable. Bury was good but 6 minutes off my PB of 1:53 but I did set that 5 years ago. Started really well but just ran out of puff after 9 miles and pootled home. Running more than 110% of a distance you've recently run is so difficult mentally and physically.

If you're upping the mileage, do it gradually and make sure to rest lots. It's much better to sit tight than to overtrain. Running everyday in November is ambitious. A few years ago I tried running 6 miles every day and see how long I could do it for. On day 5 I was basically ruined as fatigue just culminates.

To be honest, I'm not going to push myself too much - it's just a challenge on the Man v Fat website I decided to do - nearly all of my runs will be about 3k as that is how far it is around Rushmere Heath in front of my house, or the Kesgrave estate round the back and both are very flat. Just helps me be well in the habit of running in the cold and dark which are both relatively new to me.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024