Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
McCarthy v Warnock 08:00 - Nov 2 with 2965 viewsitfcjoe

Both managers who are Championship stalwarts, with more ups than downs, both like to play a more direct style of football - but was listening to the Blue Monday video after the game on Tuesday and made really good points with regards to differing styles.

Warnock gets attacking players on the pitch, and allows them to just attack without too much worry about defending, whereas Mick wants all his players to defend before they earn the right to attack.

Warny has been successful with this in the past, getting the best out of a player like Adel Taarabt, and is being successful again. Is the best way out of this league to attack your way out of it now?

I don't think Mick is a dinosaur who's been left behind, but has maybe become too conservative for this division - whereas Warnock is excelling with a more gung ho style

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

McCarthy v Warnock on 08:25 - Nov 2 with 2922 viewsKieran_Knows

One of my biggest gripes with Mick and his time here is that why has he never tried to replicate his Wolves side here? You know what you got with that side, solid back 4, 2 central midfielders ‘tidying up’ and then he just let his front 4 (Kightly, Jarvis, SEB and Iwelumo) do the damage. I appreciate that Football has moved on since the whole ‘get the ball out wide and stick it in the box’ approach, but it’s something that worked very well for him in the Championship at Wolves and has always made me wonder why he hasn’t tried doing it here.

Poll: We’ve got super KM, he knows exactly what we need. Woolfie at the back…

McCarthy v Warnock on 08:28 - Nov 2 with 2914 viewsportmanking

Absolutely. I think you can really only compare MM and Warnock in terms of personality and character. On the pitch, the mentalities are very different. As you say, Warnock is not afraid to let 'maverick' players express themselves, whereas Mick doesn't appear to know how to man manage them.

He's not quite a dinosaur but he certainly doesn't know how to handle the typical modern day player and that is a huge concern, not just for Town but for any future employers weighing up hiring MM.
McCarthy v Warnock on 08:32 - Nov 2 with 2897 viewsHerbivore

McCarthy v Warnock on 08:28 - Nov 2 by portmanking

Absolutely. I think you can really only compare MM and Warnock in terms of personality and character. On the pitch, the mentalities are very different. As you say, Warnock is not afraid to let 'maverick' players express themselves, whereas Mick doesn't appear to know how to man manage them.

He's not quite a dinosaur but he certainly doesn't know how to handle the typical modern day player and that is a huge concern, not just for Town but for any future employers weighing up hiring MM.

He certainly doesn't know how to handle the typical modern day player?

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

McCarthy v Warnock on 08:38 - Nov 2 with 2882 viewsportmanking

McCarthy v Warnock on 08:32 - Nov 2 by Herbivore

He certainly doesn't know how to handle the typical modern day player?

Celina, Cameron Stewart, Bishop etc...

I just don't think MM 'gets' the young players of today and sees someone young, brash and full of confidence like Celina as a threat to the harmony in the dressing room. I've no doubt Warnock would build someone like Celina up in the press rather than try and knock him down a peg or two.
on 08:40 - Nov 2 with 2882 views_

McCarthy v Warnock on 08:25 - Nov 2 by Kieran_Knows

One of my biggest gripes with Mick and his time here is that why has he never tried to replicate his Wolves side here? You know what you got with that side, solid back 4, 2 central midfielders ‘tidying up’ and then he just let his front 4 (Kightly, Jarvis, SEB and Iwelumo) do the damage. I appreciate that Football has moved on since the whole ‘get the ball out wide and stick it in the box’ approach, but it’s something that worked very well for him in the Championship at Wolves and has always made me wonder why he hasn’t tried doing it here.

McCarthy v Warnock on 08:42 - Nov 2 with 2866 viewsSomethingBlue

McCarthy v Warnock on 08:38 - Nov 2 by portmanking

I just don't think MM 'gets' the young players of today and sees someone young, brash and full of confidence like Celina as a threat to the harmony in the dressing room. I've no doubt Warnock would build someone like Celina up in the press rather than try and knock him down a peg or two.

Think he's handling Celina pretty well actually, and I'm sure those with an interest in the player further afield might agree. And the fact he's handled promising players well before is why we have Celina in the first place. The notions people airily come up with ...

Blog: The Way Back From Here Will Be Long, But There is a Way

McCarthy v Warnock on 08:43 - Nov 2 with 2862 viewsHerbivore

Stewart just wasn't up to it, what level is he playing at now? Mick gave Bishop his debut and he played every game when fit, he's been injured on and off for the last 2 and a bit years which isn't down to the manager. Celina has scored 5 goals for us this season, that's a good contribution so I'm not sure why Celina is seen as a stick to beat Mick with other than that a certain section of our fans are desperate to grab any stick to beat him with. What about the 20 odd other players in our squad? Are they not typical modern footballers then? Sorry mate, but I think the line from you is gubbins.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

McCarthy v Warnock on 08:43 - Nov 2 with 2861 viewsSteve_M

Given how Tom Lawrence and Ryan Fraser have flourished here I don't think that is true. Stewart was a poor signing and his subsequent career trajectory confirms that. I don't think MM has any problem with confidence, otherwise why would he bring Celina here, just players who don't work for the team.

The real point that occurs to me from the comparison if that, if MM isn't getting the defence right, then his sides are far less effective. Compare the defensive stability of the first half of 2014-15, with rotation ahead of that, with the constant changes this season.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Login to get fewer ads

McCarthy v Warnock on 08:46 - Nov 2 with 2849 viewsSWGF

on 08:40 - Nov 2 by _

He's never trusted any of the wingers* he's brought into the club to do a job in a 442.

(Proper wingers, not Tabb/Anderson, etc)

Poll: What constitutes "too many" when it comes to a daily intake of custard creams?
Blog: Mirroring the Last Rites of Keane's Reign

on 08:48 - Nov 2 with 2839 views_

McCarthy v Warnock on 08:46 - Nov 2 by SWGF

He's never trusted any of the wingers* he's brought into the club to do a job in a 442.

(Proper wingers, not Tabb/Anderson, etc)

McCarthy v Warnock on 08:48 - Nov 2 with 2837 viewshype313

Has he knocked Celina down? Bishop has been injured. As much as I'm not a Mick fan you can't beat him with that stick, beat him for his football philosophy and his style of play, but not understanding the youth of today is clutching at straws for me.

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

on 08:50 - Nov 2 with 2820 views_

McCarthy v Warnock on 08:48 - Nov 2 by hype313

Has he knocked Celina down? Bishop has been injured. As much as I'm not a Mick fan you can't beat him with that stick, beat him for his football philosophy and his style of play, but not understanding the youth of today is clutching at straws for me.

McCarthy v Warnock on 08:52 - Nov 2 with 2816 viewshype313

on 08:50 - Nov 2 by _

I don't know, never met either, so an't really form an opinion.

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

McCarthy v Warnock on 09:06 - Nov 2 with 2768 viewsSWGF

on 08:48 - Nov 2 by _

OK, *permanent* wingers.

Poll: What constitutes "too many" when it comes to a daily intake of custard creams?
Blog: Mirroring the Last Rites of Keane's Reign

McCarthy v Warnock on 10:41 - Nov 2 with 2680 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Main difference.

Warnock is a positive manager who tries to win games.

McCarthy is a negative manager who tries not to lose.

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

McCarthy v Warnock on 12:38 - Nov 2 with 2600 viewsNo9

Given the vote I would have voted for NW over MM.
& I beleive that had NW got the job, Town would now be in a better place OR, at least the majority of fans would feel happier
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024