Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Pump up the JAM(S) !.....austerity chickens come home to roost ! 08:49 - Nov 2 with 2494 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

The rich get richer while.....
https://www.theguardian.com/society/2017/nov/02/child-poverty-britain-set-to-soa

"They break our legs and tell us to be grateful when they offer us crutches."
Poll: If the choice is Moore or no more.

Pump up the JAM(S) !.....austerity chickens come home to roost ! on 08:54 - Nov 2 with 2477 viewsStokieBlue

Thought this was going to be an Eric Clacton style thread!

Doesn't make great reading but also doesn't offer any solutions. Borrow more or tax more would seen to be the only options.

I also note that once again the IFS is being used as a valid source so I guess everyone is accepting their assessment of the manifestos from the election after copious amounts of blubbing on here.

SB
[Post edited 2 Nov 2017 8:56]

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

Pump up the JAM(S) !.....austerity chickens come home to roost ! on 09:04 - Nov 2 with 2461 viewsNo9

It is piling up.
http://www.cityam.com/274783/deficit-hangs-over-hammond-chancellor-facing-new-gb

Ordinary people may not have any money to pay any more tax
https://www.theguardian.com/business/2017/oct/23/shares-in-uks-biggest-car-deale

http://www.moneyobserver.com/news/06-09-2017/high-profile-profit-warnings-should

The IFS have already pointed out the UK economy has been mismanaged since 2010
Now the chiclens are coming home to roost & still the RW want tax cuts for the rich -
The one question is will those who are not rich be able to fund the rich for much longer?
Pump up the JAM(S) !.....austerity chickens come home to roost ! on 09:11 - Nov 2 with 2448 viewsWD19

I am not sure ‘relative poverty’ is helpful here. Instinct suggests that ‘real’ poverty is likely on the rise. That is the real story and has the bigger impact. Can that not be measured?

Although ‘relative poverty’ is a consistent measure over time (I guess) it is akin to saying the current Burnley left back is in ‘relative poverty’ vs the median premier league wage.
Pump up the JAM(S) !.....austerity chickens come home to roost ! on 09:22 - Nov 2 with 2429 viewshampstead_blue

The BBC had a program last night on this.

Trickle Down economics. Seems we were sold a pup.

I'd prefer a simpler almost flat tax regime were everyone pays.

Assumption is to make an ass out of you and me. Those who assume they know you, when they don't are just guessing. Those who assume and insist they know are daft and in denial. Those who assume, insist, and deny the truth are plain stupid. Those who assume, insist, deny the truth and tell YOU they know you (when they don't) have an IQ in the range of 35-49.
Poll: Best Blackpool goal

Pump up the JAM(S) !.....austerity chickens come home to roost ! on 09:24 - Nov 2 with 2425 viewsStokieBlue

Pump up the JAM(S) !.....austerity chickens come home to roost ! on 09:22 - Nov 2 by hampstead_blue

There have been quite a few studies showing that a flat rate tax scheme works well. Will get short-shrift on here though for all the usual reasons.

SB

Pump up the JAM(S) !.....austerity chickens come home to roost ! on 09:26 - Nov 2 with 2425 viewshomer_123

Pump up the JAM(S) !.....austerity chickens come home to roost ! on 09:24 - Nov 2 by StokieBlue

There have been quite a few studies showing that a flat rate tax scheme works well. Will get short-shrift on here though for all the usual reasons.

SB

The issue with the flat rate is that by simplifying it, you don't need as many people employed to manage it.

(this isn't a problem per say, other than these people need to find another job).

Flat rate of 50% to 60% - no VAT, no insurance premium tax etc etc etc. No issues from me. Although this doesn't have any affect on how the incumbent Gov spends said money.
[Post edited 2 Nov 2017 9:28]

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

Pump up the JAM(S) !.....austerity chickens come home to roost ! on 09:28 - Nov 2 with 2420 viewsStokieBlue

Pump up the JAM(S) !.....austerity chickens come home to roost ! on 09:26 - Nov 2 by homer_123

The issue with the flat rate is that by simplifying it, you don't need as many people employed to manage it.

(this isn't a problem per say, other than these people need to find another job).

Flat rate of 50% to 60% - no VAT, no insurance premium tax etc etc etc. No issues from me. Although this doesn't have any affect on how the incumbent Gov spends said money.
[Post edited 2 Nov 2017 9:28]

50%-60% for everyone as a flat rate?

Surely you jest.

SB

Pump up the JAM(S) !.....austerity chickens come home to roost ! on 09:30 - Nov 2 with 2423 viewshomer_123

Pump up the JAM(S) !.....austerity chickens come home to roost ! on 09:28 - Nov 2 by StokieBlue

50%-60% for everyone as a flat rate?

Surely you jest.

SB

"Scandinavian income taxes raise a lot of revenue because they are actually rather flat. In other words, they tax most people at these high rates, not just high-income taxpayers. "

So, yes the majority get taxed at these high rates SB....it's an incredibly effective and simple way of raising tax revenue.

I should state that the 50% to 60% is the top rate margin.
[Post edited 2 Nov 2017 9:31]

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

Login to get fewer ads

Pump up the JAM(S) !.....austerity chickens come home to roost ! on 09:37 - Nov 2 with 2406 viewsStokieBlue

Pump up the JAM(S) !.....austerity chickens come home to roost ! on 09:30 - Nov 2 by homer_123

"Scandinavian income taxes raise a lot of revenue because they are actually rather flat. In other words, they tax most people at these high rates, not just high-income taxpayers. "

So, yes the majority get taxed at these high rates SB....it's an incredibly effective and simple way of raising tax revenue.

I should state that the 50% to 60% is the top rate margin.
[Post edited 2 Nov 2017 9:31]

If there is a top rate margin it's not a flat income tax system, it's just a less complex one.

The Scandinavian system is different to a the flat rate system mentioned by another poster. It probably is very effective but I suspect most voters won't vote for someone who is going to take 50p out of every pound they earn.

SB

Pump up the JAM(S) !.....austerity chickens come home to roost ! on 09:41 - Nov 2 with 2401 viewsStokieBlue

Your mates Positive Money are protesting outside the BoE today according to the Guardian.

SB

Pump up the JAM(S) !.....austerity chickens come home to roost ! on 10:29 - Nov 2 with 2367 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

Pump up the JAM(S) !.....austerity chickens come home to roost ! on 09:04 - Nov 2 by No9

It is piling up.
http://www.cityam.com/274783/deficit-hangs-over-hammond-chancellor-facing-new-gb

Ordinary people may not have any money to pay any more tax
https://www.theguardian.com/business/2017/oct/23/shares-in-uks-biggest-car-deale

http://www.moneyobserver.com/news/06-09-2017/high-profile-profit-warnings-should

The IFS have already pointed out the UK economy has been mismanaged since 2010
Now the chiclens are coming home to roost & still the RW want tax cuts for the rich -
The one question is will those who are not rich be able to fund the rich for much longer?

Well somebody had to pay for QE......

Stokie in 5...4....3 !

Pump up the JAM(S) !.....austerity chickens come home to roost ! on 10:30 - Nov 2 with 2365 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

Pump up the JAM(S) !.....austerity chickens come home to roost ! on 09:22 - Nov 2 by hampstead_blue

Do you have a link ?

Pump up the JAM(S) !.....austerity chickens come home to roost ! on 10:38 - Nov 2 with 2356 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

Pump up the JAM(S) !.....austerity chickens come home to roost ! on 09:41 - Nov 2 by StokieBlue

Your mates Positive Money are protesting outside the BoE today according to the Guardian.

SB

Good on them......

"A group of demonstrators have gathered outside the Bank of England.

They’re from Positive Money, a group pushing for ‘QE for People’ -- the idea that Britain creates new money to spend on green infrastructure, education or other social benefits.

Fran Boait, Executive Director of Positive Money, warns that an interest rate hike today could be very damaging:

“A decision today to raise rates at a time when real wages are falling risks shortening the fuse on Britain’s ticking household debt time bomb.

The Bank of England needs new policy tools which can deliver a sustainable boost to incomes, such as QE for People.”

Currently, the Bank’s QE (quantitative easing) programme has only bought government and corporate bonds, which has driven up their price and also fuelled the stock market rally.

Central banks claim that their QE programmes have propped up the economy and kept unemployment low, but critics argue that they also increased wealth inequality...and even created the economic conditions that led to the Brexit vote and Donald Trump’s presidency."

Pump up the JAM(S) !.....austerity chickens come home to roost ! on 10:38 - Nov 2 with 2355 viewshampstead_blue

Pump up the JAM(S) !.....austerity chickens come home to roost ! on 10:30 - Nov 2 by BanksterDebtSlave

Do you have a link ?

I don't.

The BBC Iplayer should have it.
It was fairly old hat. Stuff that's been out there for a while.

John Cauldwell came across very well. Has paid £250m in tax in past 4 years. Nice problem to have.

Making tax simple is the best way to make people pay. I'm all for making people pay their "fair" share. When I looked after HNW's I avoided the tax dodging schemes. To shady and never good in the long run.

Assumption is to make an ass out of you and me. Those who assume they know you, when they don't are just guessing. Those who assume and insist they know are daft and in denial. Those who assume, insist, and deny the truth are plain stupid. Those who assume, insist, deny the truth and tell YOU they know you (when they don't) have an IQ in the range of 35-49.
Poll: Best Blackpool goal

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024