Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Any recruitment people about? How to polish a turd of a cv? 16:07 - Nov 3 with 9956 viewsgiant_stow

I've worked for myself for 15 years - how to I make that look ok in a CV?! I'm a webby bod so does it come down to just including a load of sites I've done with a bit on what platforms / languages I can use?

Cheers for any help...

Has anyone ever looked at their own postings for last day or so? Oh my... so sorry. Was Ullaa
Poll: A clasmate tells your son their going to beat him up in the playground after sch

Any recruitment people about? How to polish a turd of a cv? on 16:09 - Nov 3 with 7347 viewsSE1blue

How many stars do you have on your name badge?

Blog: D-I-V-O-R-C-E

Any recruitment people about? How to polish a turd of a cv? on 16:10 - Nov 3 with 7339 viewsgiant_stow

Any recruitment people about? How to polish a turd of a cv? on 16:09 - Nov 3 by SE1blue

How many stars do you have on your name badge?

I thought this was a winning things jibe at first, but then realised it was a macdonalds jab - multifaceted - nice play.

Has anyone ever looked at their own postings for last day or so? Oh my... so sorry. Was Ullaa
Poll: A clasmate tells your son their going to beat him up in the playground after sch

Any recruitment people about? How to polish a turd of a cv? on 16:12 - Nov 3 with 7329 viewsSE1blue

Any recruitment people about? How to polish a turd of a cv? on 16:10 - Nov 3 by giant_stow

I thought this was a winning things jibe at first, but then realised it was a macdonalds jab - multifaceted - nice play.

Old skool TWTD innit...

Blog: D-I-V-O-R-C-E

Any recruitment people about? How to polish a turd of a cv? on 16:18 - Nov 3 with 7312 viewsHeathlander

You're a webby bod to go with your webby fingers and toes?
Any recruitment people about? How to polish a turd of a cv? on 16:20 - Nov 3 with 7305 viewsgiant_stow

Any recruitment people about? How to polish a turd of a cv? on 16:18 - Nov 3 by Heathlander

meanie.

I can see I'm just gonna have to become an uber driver instead.

Any recruitment people about? How to polish a turd of a cv? on 16:23 - Nov 3 with 7293 viewsSpruceMoose

Any recruitment people about? How to polish a turd of a cv? on 16:18 - Nov 3 by Heathlander

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."
Poll: Selectamod

Any recruitment people about? How to polish a turd of a cv? on 17:16 - Nov 3 with 7236 viewsEdwardStone

Not easy to polish a turd

Much better to roll it in glitter
Any recruitment people about? How to polish a turd of a cv? on 18:22 - Nov 3 with 7195 viewsSteve_M

Difficult given the nature of what you've done. Can you start with short paragraphs on specific skills and then add the list in. Perhaps a couple of more detailed examples, where you can elaborate on what you've done, that might or might not be best anonymised.

The overall presentation will incentivise people to have a detailed look anyway.

Oh and delete the bit about which football team you support.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Login to get fewer ads

Any recruitment people about? How to polish a turd of a cv? on 18:33 - Nov 3 with 7181 viewsjeera

Any recruitment people about? How to polish a turd of a cv? on 18:22 - Nov 3 by Steve_M

Difficult given the nature of what you've done. Can you start with short paragraphs on specific skills and then add the list in. Perhaps a couple of more detailed examples, where you can elaborate on what you've done, that might or might not be best anonymised.

The overall presentation will incentivise people to have a detailed look anyway.

Oh and delete the bit about which football team you support.

Or at least don't produce the CV in garish yellow and green.

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

Any recruitment people about? How to polish a turd of a cv? on 18:38 - Nov 3 with 7172 viewsDanTheMan

I'm not much good with the CV part, but have you got a portfolio site? They can be very useful.

Poll: FM Parallel Game Week 1 (Fulham) - Available Team

Any recruitment people about? How to polish a turd of a cv? on 18:49 - Nov 3 with 7151 viewsgiant_stow

Any recruitment people about? How to polish a turd of a cv? on 18:38 - Nov 3 by DanTheMan

I'm not much good with the CV part, but have you got a portfolio site? They can be very useful.

Yeah knocking it together now - better late than never! Always been too busy before but the work seems to be drying up, maybe because of me or maybe because small businesses often turn to the likes of Wix, squarespace now. Feel like a coal miner in the 80s looking at his industry disappear, or at least my little corner of it.

Thanks too Steve for the advice, like the paragraphs thought, but can't I just have a little yellow and green trim somewhere?!

Also thanks again to the pm people - have to say that people on here are incredibly generous with their knowledge and opinions (as ever). Good people.
[Post edited 3 Nov 2017 18:52]

Any recruitment people about? How to polish a turd of a cv? on 18:55 - Nov 3 with 7133 viewsJoey_Joe_Joe_Junior

Most dull internet people are freelance aren't they? I am sure the competition will have a similar rubbish resume.

Hope this help.
Any recruitment people about? How to polish a turd of a cv? on 18:56 - Nov 3 with 7129 viewsgiant_stow

Any recruitment people about? How to polish a turd of a cv? on 18:55 - Nov 3 by Joey_Joe_Joe_Junior

Most dull internet people are freelance aren't they? I am sure the competition will have a similar rubbish resume.

Hope this help.

Hugely.

Well I spose it's a pep talk of sorts!

Any recruitment people about? How to polish a turd of a cv? on 18:59 - Nov 3 with 7121 viewsJoey_Joe_Joe_Junior

Any recruitment people about? How to polish a turd of a cv? on 18:56 - Nov 3 by giant_stow

Hugely.

Well I spose it's a pep talk of sorts!

Yeah can be tough that. I've worked for the same company all my career (10 years) it's a very strong resume for any internal promotions and has been but troublesome if I ever wanted to go to an industry competitor. As a lot of it doesn't cross over that well as we operate in a very unique company structure.
Any recruitment people about? How to polish a turd of a cv? on 19:01 - Nov 3 with 7115 viewsgiant_stow

Any recruitment people about? How to polish a turd of a cv? on 18:59 - Nov 3 by Joey_Joe_Joe_Junior

Yeah can be tough that. I've worked for the same company all my career (10 years) it's a very strong resume for any internal promotions and has been but troublesome if I ever wanted to go to an industry competitor. As a lot of it doesn't cross over that well as we operate in a very unique company structure.

I can imagine. have a mate who works in a very niche area of backroom city functions, but every company does it differently, so often a move had to be sideways to learn the ropes before moving up in that new place.

Edit: his top tip: don't work for goldmine sachs!
[Post edited 3 Nov 2017 19:03]

Any recruitment people about? How to polish a turd of a cv? on 19:03 - Nov 3 with 7105 viewsDanTheMan

Any recruitment people about? How to polish a turd of a cv? on 18:49 - Nov 3 by giant_stow

Yeah knocking it together now - better late than never! Always been too busy before but the work seems to be drying up, maybe because of me or maybe because small businesses often turn to the likes of Wix, squarespace now. Feel like a coal miner in the 80s looking at his industry disappear, or at least my little corner of it.

Thanks too Steve for the advice, like the paragraphs thought, but can't I just have a little yellow and green trim somewhere?!

Also thanks again to the pm people - have to say that people on here are incredibly generous with their knowledge and opinions (as ever). Good people.
[Post edited 3 Nov 2017 18:52]

Web Development is booming but the WordPress website gig does seem to be shrinking somewhat.

I'd still suggest trying to get started with React / Angular, especially if you can knock a sample website together with one for a portfolio.

Any recruitment people about? How to polish a turd of a cv? on 19:16 - Nov 3 with 7081 viewsgiant_stow

Any recruitment people about? How to polish a turd of a cv? on 19:03 - Nov 3 by DanTheMan

Web Development is booming but the WordPress website gig does seem to be shrinking somewhat.

I'd still suggest trying to get started with React / Angular, especially if you can knock a sample website together with one for a portfolio.

The the trouble with WordPress is its too good / easy to learn. Thanks for the tip - I was thinking of diving into angular for my new personal site oddly enough. Seems to be often mentioned on job adverts at least.

Any recruitment people about? How to polish a turd of a cv? on 19:17 - Nov 3 with 7075 viewsDanTheMan

Any recruitment people about? How to polish a turd of a cv? on 19:16 - Nov 3 by giant_stow

The the trouble with WordPress is its too good / easy to learn. Thanks for the tip - I was thinking of diving into angular for my new personal site oddly enough. Seems to be often mentioned on job adverts at least.

A pretty common stack you'll see is Angular with a .NET back end.

Either that or you'll have a fully Javascript stack like React + Node.

Oh and if you're doing Angular, do Angular not AngularJs, as confusing as that sounds.
[Post edited 3 Nov 2017 19:18]

Any recruitment people about? How to polish a turd of a cv? on 19:21 - Nov 3 with 7059 viewsgiant_stow

Any recruitment people about? How to polish a turd of a cv? on 19:17 - Nov 3 by DanTheMan

A pretty common stack you'll see is Angular with a .NET back end.

Either that or you'll have a fully Javascript stack like React + Node.

Oh and if you're doing Angular, do Angular not AngularJs, as confusing as that sounds.
[Post edited 3 Nov 2017 19:18]

What's wrong with angular js out of interest? Seen node mentioned a lot too - shed loads to learn!

Any recruitment people about? How to polish a turd of a cv? on 19:26 - Nov 3 with 7051 viewsDanTheMan

Any recruitment people about? How to polish a turd of a cv? on 19:21 - Nov 3 by giant_stow

What's wrong with angular js out of interest? Seen node mentioned a lot too - shed loads to learn!

Basically, it's out of date and superseded.

They wrote what they called "AngularJS" first and it was super popular.

After React (Facebook's framework) came out, everyone thought AngularJS was a bit old school and slow, which is fair as it was. So the Angular team decided to basically dump AngularJS completely and made Angular. It shares some of the same conventions as AngularJS but is a much more modern framework but is very opinionated when compared with React.

Are you up to date with your later versions of Javascript e.g. ES6?

Any recruitment people about? How to polish a turd of a cv? on 20:54 - Nov 3 with 6976 viewsgiant_stow

Any recruitment people about? How to polish a turd of a cv? on 19:26 - Nov 3 by DanTheMan

Basically, it's out of date and superseded.

They wrote what they called "AngularJS" first and it was super popular.

After React (Facebook's framework) came out, everyone thought AngularJS was a bit old school and slow, which is fair as it was. So the Angular team decided to basically dump AngularJS completely and made Angular. It shares some of the same conventions as AngularJS but is a much more modern framework but is very opinionated when compared with React.

Are you up to date with your later versions of Javascript e.g. ES6?

Not as much as I should be! Gawd. Anyway, thanks again all.

Any recruitment people about? How to polish a turd of a cv? on 21:00 - Nov 3 with 6967 viewsHugoagogo

I had a similar situation - worked at the same company for 15 years, then decided to move on. CVs are quite different since I last wrote one.

I found this website quite useful: https://www.reed.co.uk/career-advice/how-to-write-a-cv/

All the best in your new ventures.
Any recruitment people about? How to polish a turd of a cv? on 21:00 - Nov 3 with 6963 viewsDanTheMan

Any recruitment people about? How to polish a turd of a cv? on 20:54 - Nov 3 by giant_stow

Not as much as I should be! Gawd. Anyway, thanks again all.

If you want any help, or want me to point you to any guides, feel free to PM me.

Any recruitment people about? How to polish a turd of a cv? on 21:12 - Nov 3 with 6949 viewsgiant_stow

Any recruitment people about? How to polish a turd of a cv? on 21:00 - Nov 3 by Hugoagogo

I had a similar situation - worked at the same company for 15 years, then decided to move on. CVs are quite different since I last wrote one.

I found this website quite useful: https://www.reed.co.uk/career-advice/how-to-write-a-cv/

All the best in your new ventures.

Thanks Mr. Did it work out well for you?

Any recruitment people about? How to polish a turd of a cv? on 21:13 - Nov 3 with 6948 viewsgiant_stow

Any recruitment people about? How to polish a turd of a cv? on 21:00 - Nov 3 by DanTheMan

If you want any help, or want me to point you to any guides, feel free to PM me.

That's kind. Cheers.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024