Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
I never thought I'd see a world where ITFC rested players midweek 17:02 - Nov 3 with 10559 viewstextbackup

For PNE at home on the Saturday.

Because essentially that did happen didn't it, he felt we didn't have enough to beat Cardiff so has saved them for PNE.

I'll be honest, it's not the end of the world, and if we beat PNE we'll have 1 more point than I thought we'd get from these two games.

Just saying, it's a bit of a depressing thing to say out loud

We’ll be good again... one day
Poll: How many home games do you get to a season

I never thought I'd see a world where ITFC rested players midweek on 17:05 - Nov 3 with 6853 viewsRoyKeanesDog

Agreed. I don't buy into resting players all that much.

Use the same team and gain a bit of momentum.

Poll: Best Football Song

I never thought I'd see a world where ITFC rested players midweek on 17:07 - Nov 3 with 6841 viewstextbackup

I never thought I'd see a world where ITFC rested players midweek on 17:05 - Nov 3 by RoyKeanesDog

I get him doing it at Wolves (away to ManUtd) but this was Cardiff 😐

I never thought I'd see a world where ITFC rested players midweek on 17:10 - Nov 3 with 6835 viewsRoyKeanesDog

I never thought I'd see a world where ITFC rested players midweek on 17:07 - Nov 3 by textbackup

I get him doing it at Wolves (away to ManUtd) but this was Cardiff 😐

Yeah, I remember when he did that.

Any Championship fixture can go either way really so you may as well throw everything you have at it, catch your breath during international breaks, and then collapse in a heap at the end of the season and see what the table is saying.

Poll: Best Football Song

I never thought I'd see a world where ITFC rested players midweek on 17:17 - Nov 3 with 6816 viewsHerbivore

We've had a lot of youngsters playing and a number of players coming back from injury or not fully fit. I think changes were inevitable with three games in a week, two of them away from home.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

I never thought I'd see a world where ITFC rested players midweek on 17:18 - Nov 3 with 6816 viewsPJH

I think that if Celina was to start at Cardiff then it should have been McG to make way-for an away game but not a home one.
Both Bru and Ward did enough at Burton as subs to justify starting at Cardiff.
Iorfa and Smith for Spence and Webster was harder for me to understand as was not starting Waghorn.
I never thought I'd see a world where ITFC rested players midweek on 17:20 - Nov 3 with 6808 viewsThe_Romford_Blue

I happen to agree with all of that

Even the bit about if we beat Preston, that's more points than I expected

Poll: Would we sell out our allocation for Wembley for a PJ Trophy final?

I never thought I'd see a world where ITFC rested players midweek on 17:29 - Nov 3 with 6783 viewsGlasgowBlue

I never thought I'd see a world where ITFC rested players midweek on 17:10 - Nov 3 by RoyKeanesDog

Yeah, I remember when he did that.

Any Championship fixture can go either way really so you may as well throw everything you have at it, catch your breath during international breaks, and then collapse in a heap at the end of the season and see what the table is saying.

It's not as if we are in the relegation zone with an important six pointer coming up against a rival tomorrow.

Sad times.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

I never thought I'd see a world where ITFC rested players midweek on 17:30 - Nov 3 with 6789 viewsPilgrimblue

I never thought I'd see a world where ITFC rested players midweek on 17:20 - Nov 3 by The_Romford_Blue

I happen to agree with all of that

Even the bit about if we beat Preston, that's more points than I expected

Must win tomorrow otherwise decision to rest players will look stupid. I could see the arguement for say two but not six as for me it disrupts the team. MM will say it doesn't matter as they all train together!
Login to get fewer ads

I never thought I'd see a world where ITFC rested players midweek on 17:41 - Nov 3 with 6763 viewsSitfcB

Especially as there's an international break after tomorrow!

COYB
Poll: What will today’s 10 pager be
Blog: [Blog] One Year On

I never thought I'd see a world where ITFC rested players midweek on 18:06 - Nov 3 with 6720 viewsSteve_M

We should be rotating players a bit though, we've tended to hit the Spring with a lot of players carrying niggly injuries in recent seasons.

However, as I may have mentioned previously, the constant changes to the defence are not helping us with any sense of organisation or solidity and six is too bloody many.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

I never thought I'd see a world where ITFC rested players midweek on 18:10 - Nov 3 with 6711 viewsmonty_radio

I never thought I'd see a world where ITFC rested players midweek on 17:30 - Nov 3 by Pilgrimblue

Must win tomorrow otherwise decision to rest players will look stupid. I could see the arguement for say two but not six as for me it disrupts the team. MM will say it doesn't matter as they all train together!

The phrase he used a week ago, or so, when queried about whether to play a back 3 or 4, or whatever.

Blog: Too Many Suspects? – A Swede Ramble

I never thought I'd see a world where ITFC rested players midweek on 18:15 - Nov 3 with 6692 viewsBenters

I never thought I'd see a world where ITFC rested players midweek on 17:05 - Nov 3 by RoyKeanesDog

This

Gentlybentley
Poll: Simple poll plane banner over Norwich

I never thought I'd see a world where ITFC rested players midweek on 18:17 - Nov 3 with 6694 viewsPrideOfTheEast

Agree with the that. Six changes is ridiculous with a 2 week break coming up. A couple were understandable the others baffling.
I never thought I'd see a world where ITFC rested players midweek on 18:20 - Nov 3 with 6689 viewsstrikalite

Without a doubt he's highlighted games as highly winnable and selected accordingly, West Brom to name just one do it in the Prem, and with the squad we have and injuries thrown in I can't really argue with it, especially until we get key men fit and up to pace..

It could backfire however, leaves no excuses for tomorrow now..
I never thought I'd see a world where ITFC rested players midweek on 18:23 - Nov 3 with 6679 views3_5_2

I don't get benching Waghorn who has scored v Burton

Strikers scoring breeds confidence so benching him makes no sense

Hindsight is always 20:20
Poll: Which system should we play?

I never thought I'd see a world where ITFC rested players midweek on 18:36 - Nov 3 with 6660 viewssolemio

I don't know so much. If Tom Finney, Tommy Docherty, Charlie Wayman and Willie Cunningham are all fit it could be a very tough game.
I never thought I'd see a world where ITFC rested players midweek on 19:03 - Nov 3 with 6612 viewsJ2BLUE

I've defended MM quite a bit but one comment that I didn't think came across well was when he said about preserving his record here. I don't think i'm one for over-analysing every comment but I might be looking too deeply at this one. When you combine it with the team he put out at Cardiff you could argue he doesn't really care about making the play offs. I think he knows he's off at the end of the season and it's the first time I have felt that. If he wanted us to really go for the play offs you don't change half your team before an international break to try and take three points from six. Again, reading too much into that perhaps, but you get the impression he wants to avoid risks, finish as high as possible and go out into the football world having done a very good jobs here on little cash. Forget what the Town fans think. Chairmen and owners across the Championship will see it as a very good job and his stock at this level will be high.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

I never thought I'd see a world where ITFC rested players midweek on 19:10 - Nov 3 with 6599 viewsTrequartista

We rested the entire squad against Palace and look how refreshed and vibrant we were against Fulham at home on the following Saturday.

Oh...

Poll: Who do you blame for our failure to progress?

I never thought I'd see a world where ITFC rested players midweek on 19:19 - Nov 3 with 6574 viewsFtnfwest

Added to that is the ‘wait till we get our injured players back’ argument. We seem to be better without them tbh
I never thought I'd see a world where ITFC rested players midweek on 20:04 - Nov 3 with 6474 viewsRocky

I never thought I'd see a world where ITFC rested players midweek on 19:10 - Nov 3 by Trequartista

We rested the entire squad against Palace and look how refreshed and vibrant we were against Fulham at home on the following Saturday.

Oh...

Quite so. If you look at our record in games after we rested players, it doesn't make brilliant reading. Don't recall SBR fielding weakened sides for midweek games - and this on heavier pitches where we were playing 45 to 50+ games per season. "If you are playing more games, you do less training" was always the mantra.
I never thought I'd see a world where ITFC rested players midweek on 21:30 - Nov 3 with 6388 viewsSitfcB

I never thought I'd see a world where ITFC rested players midweek on 19:10 - Nov 3 by Trequartista

Oh...

Same as when we went to Old Trafford, rested all the key players to bag the three points against Bristol City on the preceding Saturday.

Oh...

COYB
Poll: What will today’s 10 pager be
Blog: [Blog] One Year On

I never thought I'd see a world where ITFC rested players midweek on 21:57 - Nov 3 with 6318 viewstextbackup

I never thought I'd see a world where ITFC rested players midweek on 21:30 - Nov 3 by SitfcB

Same as when we went to Old Trafford, rested all the key players to bag the three points against Bristol City on the preceding Saturday.

Oh...

We had about £150 left from coach money, instead of giving everyone £4/5 back each we decided wack it all on Town to beat Bristol city, then use money to book a coach for another away game...

I never thought I'd see a world where ITFC rested players midweek on 22:02 - Nov 3 with 6295 viewsnorth_stand77

I never thought I'd see a world where ITFC rested players midweek on 20:04 - Nov 3 by Rocky

Quite so. If you look at our record in games after we rested players, it doesn't make brilliant reading. Don't recall SBR fielding weakened sides for midweek games - and this on heavier pitches where we were playing 45 to 50+ games per season. "If you are playing more games, you do less training" was always the mantra.

This is exactly what I was thinking.

We invariably had the same players playing week in, week out and they clearly had an understanding of where/what everyone should be doing on the pitch.
Changing 6 players all at once must have affected the players.

Good ol' boy was Sir Bob
I never thought I'd see a world where ITFC rested players midweek on 22:06 - Nov 3 with 6276 viewsReuser_is_God

I never thought I'd see a world where ITFC rested players midweek on 19:03 - Nov 3 by J2BLUE

I've defended MM quite a bit but one comment that I didn't think came across well was when he said about preserving his record here. I don't think i'm one for over-analysing every comment but I might be looking too deeply at this one. When you combine it with the team he put out at Cardiff you could argue he doesn't really care about making the play offs. I think he knows he's off at the end of the season and it's the first time I have felt that. If he wanted us to really go for the play offs you don't change half your team before an international break to try and take three points from six. Again, reading too much into that perhaps, but you get the impression he wants to avoid risks, finish as high as possible and go out into the football world having done a very good jobs here on little cash. Forget what the Town fans think. Chairmen and owners across the Championship will see it as a very good job and his stock at this level will be high.

This.

100% correct.

Evans out
Poll: Are Burgers the new Cheese?

I never thought I'd see a world where ITFC rested players midweek on 22:08 - Nov 3 with 6260 viewsReuser_is_God

It's ridiculous.

He'll look a tit if we don't win tomorrow.

Evans out
Poll: Are Burgers the new Cheese?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024