Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Why, when talking about football, do otherwise moderately literate people 09:08 - Nov 5 with 9126 viewssparks

insist on saying that someone "done well"?

The presence of those seeking the truth is infinitely to be preferred to the presence of those who think they've found it. (Sir Terry Pratchett)
Poll: Is Fred drunk this morning?

Why, when talking about football, do otherwise moderately literate people on 09:12 - Nov 5 with 8529 viewsGeoffSentence

It is English evolving before your eyes. Give it a few years and it will be considered correct syntax and will be football's second most important contribution to the language.

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

on 09:12 - Nov 5 with 8525 views_

Why, when talking about football, do otherwise moderately literate people on 09:14 - Nov 5 with 8522 viewsBarneycurley

Moderately literate (i) I think you'll find

Poll: Last nights obv lling of Evans are him and bluefish ever seen in the same room?

Why, when talking about football, do otherwise moderately literate people on 09:19 - Nov 5 with 8512 viewstractordownsouth

Despite classing myself as moderately literate, I have a tendency to say " I think we're going to get beat" and things like that. I'm not entirely sure why.

Poll: Preferred Lambert replacement?
Blog: No Time to Panic Yet

Why, when talking about football, do otherwise moderately literate people on 09:23 - Nov 5 with 8498 viewsSoroche

Why, when talking about football, do otherwise moderately literate people on 09:19 - Nov 5 by tractordownsouth

Despite classing myself as moderately literate, I have a tendency to say " I think we're going to get beat" and things like that. I'm not entirely sure why.

It was long ago that 'working on the offensive side of our game' would have had a different connotation.
Why, when talking about football, do otherwise moderately literate people on 09:28 - Nov 5 with 8472 viewsBarneycurley

on 09:12 - Nov 5 by _

It's obviously annoying you too

Poll: Last nights obv lling of Evans are him and bluefish ever seen in the same room?

Why, when talking about football, do otherwise moderately literate people on 10:32 - Nov 5 with 8396 viewsIllinoisblue

Boy done good innit

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

Why, when talking about football, do otherwise moderately literate people on 15:24 - Nov 5 with 8280 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

Hope this one goes better for you than your last language thread...

https://www.twtd.co.uk/forum/381665/medal-is-not-a-verb.-that-is-all.-(n-t)/#0

EDIT: Hopefully my next attempt at embedding a thread goes better too! 🙈
[Post edited 5 Nov 2017 15:26]

Highlighting crass stupidity since sometime around 2010
Poll: Would you want Messi to sign?

Login to get fewer ads

Why, when talking about football, do otherwise moderately literate people on 15:53 - Nov 5 with 8257 viewschicoazul

It annoys me that people don't still speak Chaucerian English.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

Why, when talking about football, do otherwise moderately literate people on 16:10 - Nov 5 with 8227 viewsconnorscontract

Why, when talking about football, do otherwise moderately literate people on 15:53 - Nov 5 by chicoazul

It annoys me that people don't still speak Chaucerian English.

Coillons!

(As Benters would reply in Chaucerian)
Why, when talking about football, do otherwise moderately literate people on 16:11 - Nov 5 with 8222 viewsconnorscontract

Great point: surely everyone knows it's "the boy done good".
Why, when talking about football, do otherwise moderately literate people on 19:28 - Nov 5 with 8137 viewssolemio

Why, when talking about football, do otherwise moderately literate people on 16:11 - Nov 5 by connorscontract

Great point: surely everyone knows it's "the boy done good".

The fame of this followed its usage by Ray Wilkins. I'm not saying it had never been used before that, but it came into knowing 'wink, wink' usage after that.
Why, when talking about football, do otherwise moderately literate people on 22:45 - Nov 5 with 8076 viewsBinner

My current pet irritation in a similar vein is the way so many politicians and Radio 4 news stalwarts seem unable to pronounce the word "negotiate" correctly...

Poll: Last game of the season. You need to win. Would you rather be...

Why, when talking about football, do otherwise moderately literate people on 22:52 - Nov 5 with 8064 viewsjeera

Why, when talking about football, do otherwise moderately literate people on 22:45 - Nov 5 by Binner

My current pet irritation in a similar vein is the way so many politicians and Radio 4 news stalwarts seem unable to pronounce the word "negotiate" correctly...

Shoe-in v Shoo-in.

Compliment v Complement.

Heh. I wouldn't want to point these out to those responsible unless I knew them, but they both made me smile on here earlier.

I had visions of some of our players just saying nice things about each other all game.

As for 'shoe-in', I'm not sure how anyone can qualify that exactly.
[Post edited 5 Nov 2017 22:58]

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

Why, when talking about football, do otherwise moderately literate people on 23:01 - Nov 5 with 8057 viewsRocky

Why, when talking about football, do otherwise moderately literate people on 22:52 - Nov 5 by jeera

Shoe-in v Shoo-in.

Compliment v Complement.

Heh. I wouldn't want to point these out to those responsible unless I knew them, but they both made me smile on here earlier.

I had visions of some of our players just saying nice things about each other all game.

Too many people on here act like a pre-Madonna
Why, when talking about football, do otherwise moderately literate people on 23:03 - Nov 5 with 8055 viewsjeera

Why, when talking about football, do otherwise moderately literate people on 23:01 - Nov 5 by Rocky

Too many people on here act like a pre-Madonna

Whenever I've seen this, I find myself trying to think of songs that were hits just before she came along.

It should be a quiz question.

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

Why, when talking about football, do otherwise moderately literate people on 23:15 - Nov 5 with 8043 viewsconnorscontract

Why, when talking about football, do otherwise moderately literate people on 23:03 - Nov 5 by jeera

Whenever I've seen this, I find myself trying to think of songs that were hits just before she came along.

It should be a quiz question.

I'd argue that Olivia Newton-John is the pre-Madonna.

Global sex symbol, went through different "re-inventions" of her image and musical style, movie actress and singer.

And the post-Madonna is Kylie.
Why, when talking about football, do otherwise moderately literate people on 23:16 - Nov 5 with 8042 viewsRyorry

Why, when talking about football, do otherwise moderately literate people on 22:52 - Nov 5 by jeera

Shoe-in v Shoo-in.

Compliment v Complement.

Think shoo-in relates to bad old days of horse-racing, when all the jockeys, trainers and owners of horses in a particular race would be in on a conspiracy to ensure a big-priced outsider got "shooo-d" in by the other jocks, to land a monster gamble.

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

Why, when talking about football, do otherwise moderately literate people on 07:40 - Nov 6 with 7970 viewsBinner

Shoe-in v Shoo-in.

Compliment v Complement.

And today is not the "sickth" as many will say; it is the sixth.

Why, when talking about football, do otherwise moderately literate people on 08:10 - Nov 6 with 7943 viewssolemio

Why, when talking about football, do otherwise moderately literate people on 22:45 - Nov 5 by Binner

In your view what is the correct pronunciation of 'negotiate'?

Not pronounciation!
Why, when talking about football, do otherwise moderately literate people on 08:21 - Nov 6 with 7932 viewsBinner

Why, when talking about football, do otherwise moderately literate people on 08:10 - Nov 6 by solemio

In your view what is the correct pronunciation of 'negotiate'?

Not pronounciation!

I would say that the first letter 'T' has a 'sh' sound so the word is pronounced 'negoshiate' whereas many say 'negociate'.

Next time you hear Mrs May being interviewed you'll hear it clearly; same from many, many others who ought to know better.

Why, when talking about football, do otherwise moderately literate people on 09:11 - Nov 6 with 7909 viewssolemio

Why, when talking about football, do otherwise moderately literate people on 08:21 - Nov 6 by Binner

I would say that the first letter 'T' has a 'sh' sound so the word is pronounced 'negoshiate' whereas many say 'negociate'.

Next time you hear Mrs May being interviewed you'll hear it clearly; same from many, many others who ought to know better.

Like you I say negoshiate.

I actually think this is an old-fashioned class thing. Upper and upper-middle class people used to say negosiate, whereas lower-middle and plebs like me said it with the sh pronunciation - if we said it at all!
Why, when talking about football, do otherwise moderately literate people on 09:24 - Nov 6 with 7887 viewsblue_oyster

Especially if they're a fan of 'Shrewsbury'.

Conventional wisdom is the enemy of thought.
Poll: Who is the most hated contributor to this site?

Why, when talking about football, do otherwise moderately literate people on 09:28 - Nov 6 with 7876 viewssolemio

Why, when talking about football, do otherwise moderately literate people on 09:24 - Nov 6 by blue_oyster

Especially if they're a fan of 'Shrewsbury'.

Only the posh school should be pronounced Shrowsbury. The town is a small mammalbury.
Why, when talking about football, do otherwise moderately literate people on 15:45 - Nov 6 with 7799 viewsNo9

Sick as a parrot
Over the moon
?????
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024