Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Cracking Peter Hitchens article here... 07:35 - Nov 7 with 16090 viewsgordon

Mass murder... what a joke

A disgraceful film was released this week, in which misery, pain, fear and mass murder are milked for feeble giggles.

It is not very good on its own terms, and — like so many modern comedians — uses the f-word repeatedly to jolt the semblance of laughter from its audience, much as you might make a corpse twitch with seeming life by plugging it into the national grid.

The Death Of Stalin makes a farce out of that wholly grim and squalid event. As the monster himself lies dying, a gang of slave-drivers, secret police monsters and gruesome toadies, plus a murderous paedophile, are portrayed as a kind of Carry On farce or a Monty Python sketch. Ha ha.

Well, the only question you need to ask is whether anyone would think the final days of Hitler, the other great European mass-killer, torturer and tyrant, would make a good comedy, with Goebbels, Himmler and the rest of the Nazi elite played for laughs. No, of course not.

But fashionable showbiz persons still can’t grasp that Stalin (Left-wing) was just as evil as Hitler (Right-wing). So they can’t see that either.

END

Lots of great insight there from Mr Hitchens, brilliantly written as always, and it sounds like it would be loads of fun to sit down with Peter for a pint or two. And a great point about there being no comedies about Hitler. Excellent.
Cracking Peter Hitchens article here... on 07:37 - Nov 7 with 8479 viewsBlueBadger

http://www.thedailymash.co.uk/opinion/columnists/out-of-my-box-with-peter-hitche

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Cracking Peter Hitchens article here... on 07:41 - Nov 7 with 8461 viewsDubtractor

No Hitler or Nazi comedies?

Are you sure?

I was born underwater, I dried out in the sun. I started humping volcanoes baby, when I was too young.
Poll: How confident are you of promotion now? Predicted final position...

Cracking Peter Hitchens article here... on 07:42 - Nov 7 with 8450 viewsgordon

Cracking Peter Hitchens article here... on 07:41 - Nov 7 by Dubtractor

Are you sure?

POTY
Cracking Peter Hitchens article here... on 07:43 - Nov 7 with 8451 viewsBlueBadger

Are you sure?

I'm trying to work out if he'd have loved or hated 'Four Lions' and it's giving me a headache.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.

Cracking Peter Hitchens article here... on 08:24 - Nov 7 with 8394 viewsBlueNomad

Peter Hitchens regularly peddles views that stoke up right-wing Mail viewers. Nothing good to say about him.
Cracking Peter Hitchens article here... on 08:25 - Nov 7 with 8385 viewsBackToRussia

Are you sure?

lol.

TWTD CP. Evans Out.
Poll: Neil Young or Lynyrd Skynyrd - there is no middle ground.

Cracking Peter Hitchens article here... on 08:30 - Nov 7 with 8375 viewsSteve_M

Cracking Peter Hitchens article here... on 08:25 - Nov 7 by BackToRussia

lol.

Someone did suggest a version of that Hitchin's article on the Downfall scene.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Cracking Peter Hitchens article here... on 08:35 - Nov 7 with 8359 viewsfactual_blue

Cracking Peter Hitchens article here... on 08:30 - Nov 7 by Steve_M

Same thought occurred to me.

I don't think Hitchens has the ability to find anything humorous.

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

Login to get fewer ads

Cracking Peter Hitchens article here... on 08:38 - Nov 7 with 8346 viewsBackToRussia

Cracking Peter Hitchens article here... on 08:35 - Nov 7 by factual_blue

Same thought occurred to me.

I don't think Hitchens has the ability to find anything humorous.

He used to be a commie but went over to the dark side. This is just his guilt talking.

TWTD CP. Evans Out.
Poll: Neil Young or Lynyrd Skynyrd - there is no middle ground.

Cracking Peter Hitchens article here... on 08:39 - Nov 7 with 8343 viewsfactual_blue

Cracking Peter Hitchens article here... on 07:43 - Nov 7 by BlueBadger

I'm trying to work out if he'd have loved or hated 'Four Lions' and it's giving me a headache.

He's also clearly not familiar with Adenoid Hynkel.*

*Adenoid Hynkel is the dictator character in Chaplin's The Great Dictator. It was made in 1940.

on 08:40 - Nov 7 with 8338 views_

Cracking Peter Hitchens article here... on 08:45 - Nov 7 with 8327 viewsgordon

Cracking Peter Hitchens article here... on 08:39 - Nov 7 by factual_blue

He's also clearly not familiar with Adenoid Hynkel.*

*Adenoid Hynkel is the dictator character in Chaplin's The Great Dictator. It was made in 1940.

Or indeed the work of the German showbiz left, Er ist wieder da.
Cracking Peter Hitchens article here... on 09:23 - Nov 7 with 8266 viewsBlueBadger

Cracking Peter Hitchens article here... on 08:24 - Nov 7 by BlueNomad

Peter Hitchens regularly peddles views that stoke up right-wing Mail viewers. Nothing good to say about him.

Fair play to him, since they employed the equally vile Hopkins and Vain he's stepped his game up.

Cracking Peter Hitchens article here... on 09:25 - Nov 7 with 8266 viewschicoazul

Cracking Peter Hitchens article here... on 08:30 - Nov 7 by Steve_M

Lots of people. But he makes the point that those are memes etc and not original films. the closest I can think of would be something like The Producers.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

Cracking Peter Hitchens article here... on 09:27 - Nov 7 with 8259 viewscaught-in-limbo

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Great_Dictator

Spoofing autocratic leaders and tyrants is a very effective weapon in undermining their credibility. Obviously, this is often done to promote intervention and start wars too.

What was funny family entertainment 20 years ago can easily be turned into something shocking and disrespectful today - that's the job of the media and intellects like Hitchens. Whole society opinions and culture can easily be shaped in this way. What's interesting is that we were right back then and we're right again now even though we look at the same events with very different perspectives.

#toxic
Poll: BREXIT - Hard, soft, phantom ...

Cracking Peter Hitchens article here... on 09:29 - Nov 7 with 8256 viewsfactual_blue

Cracking Peter Hitchens article here... on 07:42 - Nov 7 by gordon

POTY

Why do you think it's the Post Of The Year?

Cracking Peter Hitchens article here... on 09:29 - Nov 7 with 8258 viewschicoazul

Cracking Peter Hitchens article here... on 09:27 - Nov 7 by caught-in-limbo

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Great_Dictator

Spoofing autocratic leaders and tyrants is a very effective weapon in undermining their credibility. Obviously, this is often done to promote intervention and start wars too.

What was funny family entertainment 20 years ago can easily be turned into something shocking and disrespectful today - that's the job of the media and intellects like Hitchens. Whole society opinions and culture can easily be shaped in this way. What's interesting is that we were right back then and we're right again now even though we look at the same events with very different perspectives.

From your Wiki link; In his 1964 autobiography, Chaplin stated that he would not have made the film if he had known about the true extent of the horrors of the Nazi concentration camps at the time

Doesn't that reinforce the point Hitchens is making, that in spoofing the lives and times of these tyrants you disrespect their victims?

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!

Cracking Peter Hitchens article here... on 09:34 - Nov 7 with 8252 viewsCaptainObvious

He is brilliant isn't he. I disagree with him on nearly everything but he is a first class debater. His arguments are always watertight and he just reels in the triggered virtue signallers who can't debate and just resort to abuse (see this thread).

i.p. verification result : "not blueas"
Poll: Garner or Pitman?

Cracking Peter Hitchens article here... on 09:35 - Nov 7 with 8240 viewsDanTheMan

Cracking Peter Hitchens article here... on 09:34 - Nov 7 by CaptainObvious

He is brilliant isn't he. I disagree with him on nearly everything but he is a first class debater. His arguments are always watertight and he just reels in the triggered virtue signallers who can't debate and just resort to abuse (see this thread).

"triggered virtue signallers"

What does this even mean?

Poll: FM Parallel Game Week 1 (Fulham) - Available Team

Cracking Peter Hitchens article here... on 09:35 - Nov 7 with 8236 viewscaught-in-limbo

Cracking Peter Hitchens article here... on 09:29 - Nov 7 by chicoazul

From your Wiki link; In his 1964 autobiography, Chaplin stated that he would not have made the film if he had known about the true extent of the horrors of the Nazi concentration camps at the time

Doesn't that reinforce the point Hitchens is making, that in spoofing the lives and times of these tyrants you disrespect their victims?

Chaplin in Hollywood was sending up Hitler for very obvious political reasons and they had little to do with concentration camps.

Did the BBC not know the true extent of the horrors of the Nazi concentration camps when they made Allo! Allo! ?

#toxic
Poll: BREXIT - Hard, soft, phantom ...

Cracking Peter Hitchens article here... on 09:37 - Nov 7 with 8222 viewsBlueBadger

Cracking Peter Hitchens article here... on 09:35 - Nov 7 by DanTheMan

'People who disagree with him and are telling us why' in this context, I think.

Cracking Peter Hitchens article here... on 09:38 - Nov 7 with 8222 viewschicoazul

Cracking Peter Hitchens article here... on 09:35 - Nov 7 by caught-in-limbo

Chaplin in Hollywood was sending up Hitler for very obvious political reasons and they had little to do with concentration camps.

Did the BBC not know the true extent of the horrors of the Nazi concentration camps when they made Allo! Allo! ?

Well yes, I know that. But let's stay on point here. The argument Hitchens makes is one that it seems Chaplin agrees with in hindsight.

Cracking Peter Hitchens article here... on 09:39 - Nov 7 with 8223 viewsDubtractor

Cracking Peter Hitchens article here... on 09:25 - Nov 7 by chicoazul

Lots of people. But he makes the point that those are memes etc and not original films. the closest I can think of would be something like The Producers.

Seriously?

Just type Nazi comedy into Google and it gives you a list of films.

Even something like inglorious basterds makes fun of the whole thing.

I was born underwater, I dried out in the sun. I started humping volcanoes baby, when I was too young.
Poll: How confident are you of promotion now? Predicted final position...

Cracking Peter Hitchens article here... on 09:40 - Nov 7 with 8216 viewsBlueBadger

Cracking Peter Hitchens article here... on 09:29 - Nov 7 by chicoazul

Personally, I think we're doing people a massive disservice if we aren't(as well as opposing in more serious means) taking the piss out of vile extremists. They tend to be, by their very nature, humourless, pompous, oversensitive and egotistical. Anything that brings them down to earth and shows them atet actually 'no, you're not thinking what everyone is thinking' is fine for me.

You've only got to look at how upset, for example, Corbynistas and Kippers get when you mock either the Dear Leader or Chairman Nige.
[Post edited 7 Nov 2017 9:42]

Cracking Peter Hitchens article here... on 09:42 - Nov 7 with 8212 viewsCaptainObvious

Cracking Peter Hitchens article here... on 09:35 - Nov 7 by DanTheMan

that's my one, not fifa's, mine.

To me, a virtue signaller is someone who constantly has to show everyone their pc credentials. In their own right, and in the right context these credentials are perfectly acceptable, but it's when they are constantly applied where unnecessary to the extent of where you realise it is just someone needing to show everyone they are virtuous.

Triggered just means ready to be set off at any moment.

i.p. verification result : "not blueas"
Poll: Garner or Pitman?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024