Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Audio-book recommendations 20:51 - Nov 8 with 4264 viewsunbelievablue

Wotcha.

I'm after some recommendations for audio-books. I like audio-books which 'transport' me somewhere and allow me some true escapism (I tend to listen in bed). Dickensian London, a foreign paradise, descriptive atmospheric weather etc. I find dialogue less appealing when narrated, for what it's worth. Can be fiction or non-fiction.

My favourite of recent months has been The Silk Roads by Peter Frankopan, if that helps.

Thanks in advance.

J

Le meilleur des mondes possibles
Poll: When booking a reservation at a restaurant/bar, do you give...

Audio-book recommendations on 21:29 - Nov 8 with 4236 viewsRoyKeanesDog

Not sure if you've read The Girl On A Train, but I listened to that on audio book, and enjoyed it. I find a major downside of audio books is that the narrator's choice of tone for a character's dialogue influences your instant perception of that character.

ASOIAF books are pretty good to zone out to, and I just dip into random chapters and plant myself into the T.V series.

I can imagine The Goldfinch would be an interesting audio book novel for you, if you haven't read it.

Poll: Best Football Song

on 21:43 - Nov 8 with 4228 views_

Audio-book recommendations on 22:04 - Nov 8 with 4208 viewsFoD_Blue

I used to listen to a lot of audio books whilst working, I liked a book where you could follow the story without having to concentrate too hard. However, I have changed jobs now, and I don't have the time to listen any more.

One book that I thoroughly enjoyed listening to was Extracted by R.R. Haywood (Read by Carl Prekopp) I found it to be a very enjoyable bit of Sci Fi/action, with just the right level of humor. I recommended it to the wife, and she also enjoyed it. I'm still trying to make time to listen to the second book in the series.
Audio-book recommendations on 23:14 - Nov 8 with 4178 viewspennyfathersleg

I've just got in to audiobooks. As I do a lot of driving, I thought I'd try them in the car, they're great! I've listened to the first Game of Thrones, now onto the second one. I really like the Narrator (Roy Dotrice), he does the characters really well

RIP Roy by the way
[Post edited 8 Nov 2017 23:19]
Audio-book recommendations on 23:56 - Nov 8 with 4142 viewsCurrie10

The Alan Partridge 6 cd disc set is utter gold.

I am Partridge or something. Unreal.
Audio-book recommendations on 20:13 - Nov 9 with 4068 viewsfabian_illness

I've had audible membership for about 10 years, 1 audiobook a month with the option to buy 3 extra credits for £18. I've got about 250 audiobooks.
What I find is I buy books, listen and mostly enjoy, some I like more than others obviously but there are a few that I always go back to, I know the story back to front but I just absolutely love them.

My all time favourite is a series by Len Deighton about Cold War spy Bernard Sampson, the original was narrated by an old time actor called Paul Daneman, the narration made the books special. I'm in Berlin every time I listen.
Sadly now deleted as read by Paul Daneman.
But...
The series is still available on audible narrated by James Lailley.

Another favourite is 'The Saxon Chronicles', the last kingdom series by Bernard Cornwell.
Such superb stories following the life of Uhtred of Bebbanberg.

Another well worth a listen is the 'Emperor' series by Conn Iggulden.
Audio-book recommendations on 20:23 - Nov 9 with 4059 viewsStNeotsBlue

Based on looking for some escapism I'd heartily recommend The Unicorn Road by Martin Davies. A tale of different strands set mainly in China, an English father looking for his missing son, a scholar looking for mythical beasts, the planned destruction of Rome, the great Khan, a young lady and a lost language, a driven warrior but also love in all its forms.
Audio-book recommendations on 20:35 - Nov 9 with 4050 viewsgordon

All The Names, by Jose Saramago is brilliant, atmospheric, thought provoking, and it's also narrated by a man with a very beautiful voice.

Most things by Saramago are brilliant, but this is a particularly brilliant audiobook.

All F. Scott Fitzgerald's books are available on audiobook for free, worth a bash for a bit of escapism.
Login to get fewer ads

Audio-book recommendations on 21:42 - Nov 9 with 4018 viewssuffolkpoker

My fav audio and real books are by Ben mezrich

My favs are

Ugly Americans
Busting vegas
Sex on the moon

Ugly Americans is amazing butI have a interest in gambling, but it's not al about that

Poll: Should Hewitt play for the Gulls in the 2nd round of the FA Cup

Audio-book recommendations on 23:15 - Nov 9 with 3978 viewsbluefunk

Sebastian Barry, Days Without End, Ive read it and not sure what the audio book is like but this is a remarkable book, and recommended without reservation
Audio-book recommendations on 10:58 - Nov 10 with 3928 viewsimsureazzure

Brilliant.
Audio-book recommendations on 11:07 - Nov 10 with 3922 viewshampstead_blue

I'm an Audible junkie.

Go for all the Hitch hikers books, and Spike Milligan's estate has just released about 8 books by the legend himself.

I also love The Great Courses. So much to learn.

Endurance, the book abut Shackleton is utterly awesome. If you fail to be inspired you have a stone heart.

Science in the Soul by Richard Dawkins is a cracker too.

All by Yanis Varoufakis. Talks more sense than a sense thing.

The Panama Papers.

SAS Rogue Heros and The Real X-Men - proper soldiering.

Algorithms to live by. It will surprise you.

The Ministry of Ungentlemanly Warfare. Awesome.

Think Simple by Ken Segall. Very good and transferable to many other areas.

Oversubscribed - Daniel Priestly.

The Church of Fear - John Sweeney

Dear Leader - Jang JinSUng

The Chimp Paradox - Steve Peters.

I can go on, and often do!
PM me if you'd like some more recommendations.

Assumption is to make an ass out of you and me. Those who assume they know you, when they don't are just guessing. Those who assume and insist they know are daft and in denial. Those who assume, insist, and deny the truth are plain stupid. Those who assume, insist, deny the truth and tell YOU they know you (when they don't) have an IQ in the range of 35-49.
Poll: Best Blackpool goal

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024