Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Anyone else worried about "Poppyism" 22:02 - Nov 9 with 32122 viewsDarth_Koont

It's getting a bit oppressive. And I don't think it's about the sacrifices ordinary but very brave people have made.

My family lost heavily in the First World War and witnessed the effects of a PTSD Tommy in the Second World War. But I really hate the connection to current military activity.

It's not a military remembrance/justification. Quite the opposite.

Pronouns: He/Him

on 22:04 - Nov 9 with 11010 views_

Anyone else worried about "Poppyism" on 22:09 - Nov 9 with 11001 viewsJ2BLUE

To be honest I wear one to show gratitude for the sacrifices made by the men and women during the world wars. That might not be popular and might be seen as disrespectful towards anyone currently serving but it's the truth. I don't view the poppy I wear as having any connection to current military activity.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Anyone else worried about "Poppyism" on 22:15 - Nov 9 with 10969 viewsStokieBlue

Anyone else worried about "Poppyism" on 22:09 - Nov 9 by J2BLUE

To be honest I wear one to show gratitude for the sacrifices made by the men and women during the world wars. That might not be popular and might be seen as disrespectful towards anyone currently serving but it's the truth. I don't view the poppy I wear as having any connection to current military activity.

How current is current?

With regards to poppies in general, it should be a personal choice and not even mentioned anywhere.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

Anyone else worried about "Poppyism" on 22:15 - Nov 9 with 10983 viewsIpswichIrish

My mums dad, my grandad was British, was in the navy, my dad's dad was an Irish republican, I have never and would nver wear a poppy because it represents and helps soldiers who brought misery and death to the north of Ireland where I'm from, Iraq, Afghanistan, etc, I would wear one if it was just for the 1st and 2nd world wars. I feel now it's been hijacked by the right wing, daily express, daily mail, sun readers, etc. I'm not anti British, my ma is English and wears a poppy and is right wing much to my dismay, but I'm sick of the poppy brigade if I'm being brutally honest
Anyone else worried about "Poppyism" on 22:15 - Nov 9 with 10979 viewsStNeotsBlue

I've no problem with you or anyone else choosing not to wear one. I choose to as an act of remembrance for friends and family who have fought in wars and for the men and women who have served in more recent wars/battles/invasions.

I didn't agree with many of the decisions made by governments of both persuasions in the last 20 years but the money raised goes to support the brave men and women who have been recklessly thrust forward, not further war efforts, so is still a worthy cause in my eyes.
Anyone else worried about "Poppyism" on 22:20 - Nov 9 with 10953 viewsJ2BLUE

Anyone else worried about "Poppyism" on 22:15 - Nov 9 by StokieBlue

How current is current?

With regards to poppies in general, it should be a personal choice and not even mentioned anywhere.

SB

For me, living memory. Last 20 years.

I agree it should be a personal choice. With social media I can see why tv shows make their guests wear one. If they didn't some idiot would kick off and although i'm not on Twitter it seems there are far too many people only too happy to join a witch hunt when someone kicks one off. If it's forced it's meaningless.

Truly impaired.

Anyone else worried about "Poppyism" on 22:24 - Nov 9 with 10945 viewsgtsb1966

"And I don't think it's about the sacrifices ordinary but very brave people have made"

If you go on a battlefields tour and visit The Menin Gate, Tyne Cot cemetery , Thiepval and many of the numerous cemeteries scattered over France/Belgium I think you'll find it is. Millions of poppies with messages from the very young to the very old. The most moving three days I have ever experienced. I think the same way as J2 and for some reason only associate the poppy with the two world wars.
Anyone else worried about "Poppyism" on 22:26 - Nov 9 with 10928 viewsIpswichIrish

Anyone else worried about "Poppyism" on 22:20 - Nov 9 by J2BLUE

For me, living memory. Last 20 years.

I agree it should be a personal choice. With social media I can see why tv shows make their guests wear one. If they didn't some idiot would kick off and although i'm not on Twitter it seems there are far too many people only too happy to join a witch hunt when someone kicks one off. If it's forced it's meaningless.

I have never seen a BBC guest or journalist without a poppy which i'm not comfortable with, I genuinely think they make guests and employees wear them, which if true, and I could be wrong of course, is extremely unhealthy.
Login to get fewer ads

Anyone else worried about "Poppyism" on 22:28 - Nov 9 with 10910 viewssolemio

I understand and appreciate the problems that some folk have with the sale and wearing of poppies.

We buy poppies because of the work the British Legion does to help human beings whose lives have been shattered serving in the armed forces. I differentiate between the actions of governments who are so often at fault and the actions of ordinary soldiers obeying orders.
Anyone else worried about "Poppyism" on 22:31 - Nov 9 with 10882 viewsJ2BLUE

Anyone else worried about "Poppyism" on 22:26 - Nov 9 by IpswichIrish

I have never seen a BBC guest or journalist without a poppy which i'm not comfortable with, I genuinely think they make guests and employees wear them, which if true, and I could be wrong of course, is extremely unhealthy.

Same with Sky. I expect they buy the pins and poppies by the box full and it's part of the preparation for the programme.

Truly impaired.

Anyone else worried about "Poppyism" on 22:34 - Nov 9 with 10875 viewsDarth_Koont

Anyone else worried about "Poppyism" on 22:24 - Nov 9 by gtsb1966

"And I don't think it's about the sacrifices ordinary but very brave people have made"

If you go on a battlefields tour and visit The Menin Gate, Tyne Cot cemetery , Thiepval and many of the numerous cemeteries scattered over France/Belgium I think you'll find it is. Millions of poppies with messages from the very young to the very old. The most moving three days I have ever experienced. I think the same way as J2 and for some reason only associate the poppy with the two world wars.

Sorry, I worded that badly.

I meant that this is exactly what it should be about. Not "poppyism"and whatever that can be hijacked for.

Anyone else worried about "Poppyism" on 22:35 - Nov 9 with 10861 viewsgtsb1966

Anyone else worried about "Poppyism" on 22:34 - Nov 9 by Darth_Koont

Sorry, I worded that badly.

I meant that this is exactly what it should be about. Not "poppyism"and whatever that can be hijacked for.

Agree 100%.
Anyone else worried about "Poppyism" on 22:36 - Nov 9 with 10864 viewsMelford

I've become a bit of a scholar of WW2 in the last few years

The Poppy is for everyone who died in war, our British lads, but also the 30 million Russian civilians who died in the war, compared to our our 20 thousand civilians lost. It's for those young German lads who to say no to being called up to the fight and saying no would have meant certain death and fought against us. The Poppy is a rememberence for anyone dying in any war.

Dragging TWTD into the gutter since 2009
Poll: What do you call this site?

Anyone else worried about "Poppyism" on 22:38 - Nov 9 with 10844 viewsDarth_Koont

Anyone else worried about "Poppyism" on 22:15 - Nov 9 by StNeotsBlue

I've no problem with you or anyone else choosing not to wear one. I choose to as an act of remembrance for friends and family who have fought in wars and for the men and women who have served in more recent wars/battles/invasions.

I didn't agree with many of the decisions made by governments of both persuasions in the last 20 years but the money raised goes to support the brave men and women who have been recklessly thrust forward, not further war efforts, so is still a worthy cause in my eyes.

I didn't say I wouldn't wear one.I still do. But I don't like the apparent misappropriation towards the military/nationalism itself.

That's what jars.

Anyone else worried about "Poppyism" on 22:41 - Nov 9 with 10825 viewsStNeotsBlue

Anyone else worried about "Poppyism" on 22:26 - Nov 9 by IpswichIrish

I doubt the BBC/SKY/ITV make any guest wear one, they may advise you do due to the backlash the guest would receive, I'd guess the pressure to wear one is more likely to be from the manager/agent of the guest. I agree entirely it should be for the individual to choose although I disagree with you, which is how it should be.
Anyone else worried about "Poppyism" on 22:51 - Nov 9 with 10792 viewsPinewoodblue

The sale of Poppies raises significant funds for the British Legion and that money is used to fund their activities supporting ex servicemen and women.

Think they are still made at the poppy factories in west London and in Edinburgh, originally established to provide employment for disabled servicemen. English and Scottish poppies are not the same.

You wear a Poppy to show respect.Respect isn't selective it is inclusive.

2023 year of destiny
Poll: Dickhead "Noun" a stupid, irritating, or ridiculous man.

Anyone else worried about "Poppyism" on 22:53 - Nov 9 with 10781 viewsStNeotsBlue

Anyone else worried about "Poppyism" on 22:38 - Nov 9 by Darth_Koont

I didn't say I wouldn't wear one.I still do. But I don't like the apparent misappropriation towards the military/nationalism itself.

That's what jars.

I agree, I hate that people are judged either for wearing or not wearing a poppy. Apologies if I've misinterpreted what you said.
Anyone else worried about "Poppyism" on 23:05 - Nov 9 with 10743 viewsHugoagogo

Anyone else worried about "Poppyism" on 22:51 - Nov 9 by Pinewoodblue

The sale of Poppies raises significant funds for the British Legion and that money is used to fund their activities supporting ex servicemen and women.

Think they are still made at the poppy factories in west London and in Edinburgh, originally established to provide employment for disabled servicemen. English and Scottish poppies are not the same.

If there was a compulsory conscription tomorrow, I would be a conscious objector.

I think the (often too young) men and women who lost their lives fighting for the cause in WW1 and WW2 were incredibly brave, but so, too were the conscious objectors, who endured vilification and abuse for standing up for their right to not bear arms and kill another human being.

The thing is, opinions can be poles apart, you can not always understand why people think, or act the way they do, but to bully or shame people into wearing a poppy 'because it's the done thing' when they have their own (in their eyes) valid reason not to, is undignified and unnecessary.
Anyone else worried about "Poppyism" on 23:14 - Nov 9 with 10718 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Have a chat with Terry Butcher.

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

Anyone else worried about "Poppyism" on 23:18 - Nov 9 with 10709 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Anyone else worried about "Poppyism" on 22:15 - Nov 9 by StNeotsBlue

Well said.

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

Anyone else worried about "Poppyism" on 23:24 - Nov 9 with 10698 viewsIllinoisblue

It’s all become rather unseemly and Dianafied. It’s no longer enough to form your own thoughts and pay respect in your way. If you’re not dressed in a suit of poppies you must be a traitor. People + social media generally ruins everything.

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

Anyone else worried about on 23:42 - Nov 9 with 10631 viewsvapour_trail

Anyone else worried about "Poppyism" on 22:41 - Nov 9 by StNeotsBlue

I doubt the BBC/SKY/ITV make any guest wear one, they may advise you do due to the backlash the guest would receive, I'd guess the pressure to wear one is more likely to be from the manager/agent of the guest. I agree entirely it should be for the individual to choose although I disagree with you, which is how it should be.

Ahem.

https://goo.gl/images/385ccB

Trailing vapour since 1999.
Poll: Should Gav and Phil limiti the number of polls?

Anyone else worried about "Poppyism" on 23:44 - Nov 9 with 10630 viewsIpswichIrish

Anyone else worried about "Poppyism" on 23:14 - Nov 9 by Marshalls_Mullet

Have a chat with Terry Butcher.

He could go and speak to innocents families who are victims of British aggression too? of course Butcher shouldn't have to do that, nor should people be guilt tripped into wearing one either.
Anyone else worried about "Poppyism" on 23:46 - Nov 9 with 10629 viewsfactual_blue

Anyone else worried about "Poppyism" on 22:51 - Nov 9 by Pinewoodblue

I'm only wearing my poppy on Remembrance Sunday.

I get the feeling, just based on looking the streets, that there seem to be fewer poppies on display this year.

Admittedly Ixworth, Bury, Cambridge and Lavenham don't make for the most representative sample.

As others have said, war is awful and tends to bring out the worst in people more than it does the best.

Nothing to glory in, or be proud of. As I've said before, remember with humility the sacrifices made by scared young men, conscripts all (in the Second World War) who were thrown into horrendous battles with relatively little training and frequently treated as 'cannon fodder': the seasoned soldiers and profession battalions were usually responsible for the dirty fighting required, the additional conscripted units were there often to draw fire away from those more precious, professional units.

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

Anyone else worried about "Poppyism" on 00:02 - Nov 10 with 10591 viewsBrixtonBlue

The poppy is to commemorate everyone killed in conflicts. Because people dying in conflicts is a bad thing.

I dunno why some people make it more complicated than that.

I bet Bloots will downarrow this.
Poll: If you work in an office, when are you off over Christmas (not booked holiday)?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024