Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
The current Tory disaster 09:00 - Nov 10 with 18357 viewshype313

Given that we can all agree that the Tories are in turmoil, a real snake pit of a party with various MP's jostling for positions to suit their own agenda, how the hell are the still polling 40% according to YouGov?

A YouGov poll for The Times found 34 per cent of voters say Mrs May is their preferred choice for prime minister, up one point since a month ago, with 31 per cent choosing Jeremy Corbyn, down 2 points, and 35 per cent saying they are not sure.

If Corbyn can't command a huge lead whilst the Tories are at war then he has no chance.

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

The current Tory disaster on 09:04 - Nov 10 with 10367 viewsNo9

As an aside, weren't the polls very wildly out at the last elections here and similarly wrong in America?
(No subject) (n/t) on 09:06 - Nov 10 with 10362 viewschicoazul

When you say "we all agree" who do you mean? I agree with you btw but the UK is not the TWTD message board which is why so many people were so dismayed and disappointed and amazed at the Brexit result.
And if the choice is a binary one, May or Corbyn, then I would on balance say May.
[Post edited 10 Nov 2017 9:07]

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

The current Tory disaster on 09:08 - Nov 10 with 10349 viewsBasuco

Everyone must know this, any decent Labour leader would now be PM, Jeremy Corbyn kept Teresa May as PM, the last election was there for the taking and Labour blew it by not replacing him.
The current Tory disaster on 09:09 - Nov 10 with 10344 viewsHerbivore

The demographic that votes Tory is very resistant of change.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

The current Tory disaster on 09:09 - Nov 10 with 10341 viewschicoazul

The current Tory disaster on 09:08 - Nov 10 by Basuco

Everyone must know this, any decent Labour leader would now be PM, Jeremy Corbyn kept Teresa May as PM, the last election was there for the taking and Labour blew it by not replacing him.

I don't know why people still think this.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!

(No subject) (n/t) on 09:10 - Nov 10 with 10339 viewsNo9

(No subject) (n/t) on 09:06 - Nov 10 by chicoazul

When you say "we all agree" who do you mean? I agree with you btw but the UK is not the TWTD message board which is why so many people were so dismayed and disappointed and amazed at the Brexit result.
And if the choice is a binary one, May or Corbyn, then I would on balance say May.
[Post edited 10 Nov 2017 9:07]

You might say May but on balance the baggage she brings with her isn't good - quite damaging in fact but she is to incompetent to deal with it
Don't forget she was one of the UK worst HS
The current Tory disaster on 09:10 - Nov 10 with 10341 viewsWD19

The current Tory disaster on 09:04 - Nov 10 by No9

As an aside, weren't the polls very wildly out at the last elections here and similarly wrong in America?

No, they were comfortably within the margin of error.

Not great for picking a winner, granted, but in the context of the OP question not wildly out.
(No subject) (n/t) on 09:12 - Nov 10 with 10325 viewschicoazul

(No subject) (n/t) on 09:10 - Nov 10 by No9

You might say May but on balance the baggage she brings with her isn't good - quite damaging in fact but she is to incompetent to deal with it
Don't forget she was one of the UK worst HS

If it's a simple binary choice then May over the Maximum Leader every time. Understand this is like asking me to pick my favourite Norwich player though.

Login to get fewer ads

(No subject) (n/t) on 09:14 - Nov 10 with 10315 viewsSteve_M

(No subject) (n/t) on 09:12 - Nov 10 by chicoazul

If it's a simple binary choice then May over the Maximum Leader every time. Understand this is like asking me to pick my favourite Norwich player though.

Well that's easier: it's either Megson or Gunn.

Or Ullathorn.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

(No subject) (n/t) on 09:14 - Nov 10 with 10310 viewsWD19

(No subject) (n/t) on 09:12 - Nov 10 by chicoazul

Can we have Wes Hoolahan for PM as an option?
The current Tory disaster on 09:16 - Nov 10 with 10304 viewsNo9

The current Tory disaster on 09:08 - Nov 10 by Basuco

But to be candid the current mess is of tory making & it is going to go on for a long while & cost the taxpayer a fortune.
At least if the other parties keep out of it thetories cant do their normal thing - pass the blame to others.
(No subject) (n/t) on 09:20 - Nov 10 with 10287 viewschicoazul

(No subject) (n/t) on 09:14 - Nov 10 by Steve_M

Well that's easier: it's either Megson or Gunn.

Or Ullathorn.

Never tire of seeing his face here

The current Tory disaster on 09:21 - Nov 10 with 10287 viewsSteve_M

Because for a large number of people Corbyn and McDonnell remain utterly unelectable. That Corbyn has moved past being a totally inept leader doesn't necessarily make him a Prime Minister in waiting - although I'm not sure he can do much worse than May.

The current Tory disaster on 09:23 - Nov 10 with 10275 viewschicoazul

The current Tory disaster on 09:21 - Nov 10 by Steve_M

Because for a large number of people Corbyn and McDonnell remain utterly unelectable. That Corbyn has moved past being a totally inept leader doesn't necessarily make him a Prime Minister in waiting - although I'm not sure he can do much worse than May.

Is he not an inept leader though? He is a brilliant campaigner of course, he has been doing it for 50 years, and lots of people are very attracted to his politics. If he wasn't inept I think he would manage the Blairites who won Labour those elections properly and use them to really turn the screw on the Tories.

The current Tory disaster on 09:24 - Nov 10 with 10273 viewsArcher4721

YouGov is run by Tories for Tories.

When were elections in this country all about one person? We vote MP's not Presidents.

It's not America.
(No subject) (n/t) on 09:29 - Nov 10 with 10259 viewsitfcjoe

(No subject) (n/t) on 09:20 - Nov 10 by chicoazul

Never tire of seeing his face here

Bryan Gunn came round the corporate areas pre scum game and he says he actually blames the person who passes to Ullathorne. (Maybe Mike Milligan?)

They'd been told not to pass it back at the goal as pitch so bad but he left Ullathorne no choice apparently but to do so....

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

The current Tory disaster on 09:34 - Nov 10 with 10244 viewsSteve_M

The current Tory disaster on 09:23 - Nov 10 by chicoazul

Is he not an inept leader though? He is a brilliant campaigner of course, he has been doing it for 50 years, and lots of people are very attracted to his politics. If he wasn't inept I think he would manage the Blairites who won Labour those elections properly and use them to really turn the screw on the Tories.

Well, there are odd signs that he has got to grips with some aspects of the job: he's better at PM Questions, he's let Starmer pick holes in the Tories Brexit position for example.

The current Tory disaster on 09:49 - Nov 10 with 10217 viewsbrazil1982

Corbyn doesn't want to be PM. He is quite happy on the sidelines promising free cakes to everyone.
The current Tory disaster on 09:54 - Nov 10 with 10214 viewsGuthrum

Is it really so much of a disaster?

Yes, there's a bit of intra-party turmoil, but so was there in the Major government of the '90s.

The sexual misconduct scandal is not party-specific.

There haven't been that many significant policy problems. Most people know that the Brexit negotiations would be extremely tricky whoever was conducting them (which is, I think, why Labour's criticism has been fairly muted and generic).

Much is made of May's weakness, but she has seen off the one feeble challenge to her leadership (the Shapps Affair) and is not afraid to force out senior ministers who misbehave (Fallon, Patel). She's even kept Johnson on a fairly tight leash (make of that image what you will).

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

The current Tory disaster on 10:01 - Nov 10 with 10188 viewsCaptainObvious

The current Tory disaster on 09:10 - Nov 10 by WD19

No, they were comfortably within the margin of error.

Not great for picking a winner, granted, but in the context of the OP question not wildly out.

I don't buy the margin of error excuse. If something can be mathematically 5% out, for example, then the results would be scattered randomly within the 5% margin, but in the last two elections, all the polls were out in exactly the same direction, not scattered randomly. So even if they happened to be within the margin of error, which i'm not convinced they all were, they were still inaccurate. They also measure something that doesn't determine the result, so all in all it is a total waste of everybody's time.

i.p. verification result : "not blueas"
Poll: Garner or Pitman?

The current Tory disaster on 10:03 - Nov 10 with 10172 viewsvapour_trail

The current Tory disaster on 09:54 - Nov 10 by Guthrum

Yes, there's a bit of intra-party turmoil, but so was there in the Major government of the '90s.

There haven't been that many significant policy problems. Most people know that the Brexit negotiations would be extremely tricky whoever was conducting them (which is, I think, why Labour's criticism has been fairly muted and generic).

Much is made of May's weakness, but she has seen off the one feeble challenge to her leadership (the Shapps Affair) and is not afraid to force out senior ministers who misbehave (Fallon, Patel). She's even kept Johnson on a fairly tight leash (make of that image what you will).

Ok, so what is the legislative agenda of this government. What is it actually doing?

Trailing vapour since 1999.
Poll: Should Gav and Phil limiti the number of polls?

The current Tory disaster on 10:06 - Nov 10 with 10165 viewsNo9

The current Tory disaster on 09:54 - Nov 10 by Guthrum

The tory war has been going on for decades and has done the country unquantifiable harm.
A part of their strategy is almost certainly to create as much mayhem as possible until the electorate get fed up then let them get on with it.

We don't know what the policies are because as each tory speaker appears in the media we get told a different story none of which hold much water. Even in the HoC chamber they can't deliver a unified approach to anything.

There is a story there isn't there?
The current Tory disaster on 10:07 - Nov 10 with 10167 viewsGlasgowBlue

I did this yesterday, I think it is that outside of the Westminster bubble and those of us who take an unhealthy interest in politics, most of this doesn't register. As longs as people are working and have money in their pockets then they could care less about whether Priti Patel had meetings in Israel.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

The current Tory disaster on 10:18 - Nov 10 with 10146 viewsGuthrum

The current Tory disaster on 10:03 - Nov 10 by vapour_trail

Ok, so what is the legislative agenda of this government. What is it actually doing?

Brexit and its wider ramifications, mostly. It is, after all, the biggest issue on the table at the moment.

Apart from that, welfare reform (Universal Credit), which has not been significantly derailed, however much of a shambles it actually is. The rest is mostly the usual minor tinkering.

The media love a crisis, which is why the infighting and scandals receive maximum coverage and policy relatively little.

The current Tory disaster on 10:19 - Nov 10 with 10139 viewsGuthrum

The current Tory disaster on 10:06 - Nov 10 by No9

The tory war has been going on for decades and has done the country unquantifiable harm.
A part of their strategy is almost certainly to create as much mayhem as possible until the electorate get fed up then let them get on with it.

We don't know what the policies are because as each tory speaker appears in the media we get told a different story none of which hold much water. Even in the HoC chamber they can't deliver a unified approach to anything.

There is a story there isn't there?

But how different is that to most other governments? The highly disciplined units of the early Thatcher and Blair periods are the exception rather than the rule.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024