Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Oh dear... 16:51 - Nov 14 with 12905 viewsStokieBlue

Not great fake news from the Russians this time:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2017/nov/14/russia-us-isis-syria-video-game-st

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

Oh dear... on 10:13 - Nov 15 with 3925 viewscaught-in-limbo

Oh dear... on 09:53 - Nov 15 by J2BLUE

Agreed, it was reported ages ago. I seem to remember Guthrum giving a decent explanation of why it happened.

Like you, i'm not sure how I feel about it. On the one hand I wonder why the convoy wasn't bombed as the Americans surely aren't shy about breaking a promise to ISIS. On the other hand it might have been a deliberate move to show other ISIS fighters there was a way out. Who knows how many deaths this prevented in Raqqa and elsewhere where other fighters could have caused all sorts of problems down the line by doing maximum damage before certain death. This might have been one where the uncomfortable choice was the right one.

I think it's all too easy for some on here to say the city should have been flattened. It would have had to have been the Kurdish and other forces fighting ISIS for us to have taken the fall and lost lots of lives. We owe them a lot.

The BBC seem to be claiming they have recently uncovered the story, but you and Stokie (and possibly Guthrum) say it was reported ages ago. False claim from the BBC? Different event?

I'd be grateful for any link to where this story was uncovered in the mainstream media "ages ago" so I can check this out.

Thanks.

EDIT: Also, who here has said that Raqqa city should have been flattened?
[Post edited 15 Nov 2017 10:15]

#toxic
Poll: BREXIT - Hard, soft, phantom ...

Oh dear... on 10:17 - Nov 15 with 3914 viewsJ2BLUE

Oh dear... on 10:13 - Nov 15 by caught-in-limbo

The BBC seem to be claiming they have recently uncovered the story, but you and Stokie (and possibly Guthrum) say it was reported ages ago. False claim from the BBC? Different event?

I'd be grateful for any link to where this story was uncovered in the mainstream media "ages ago" so I can check this out.

Thanks.

Reported might have been the wrong word. I just meant I had seen it before. I will look for a link though when I return. Dying of man flu at the moment.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Oh dear... on 10:17 - Nov 15 with 3912 viewsStokieBlue

Thanks.

Isn't this the same event/agreement:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2017/oct/14/last-isis-fighters-in-raqqa-seek-d

The article states they had 400+ human shields and that they had been discussing the IS withdrawal for days.

I admit that was a 10 second Google so it might not be the exact article I am remembering from before.

As for the BBC making a false claim, perhaps they waited until after the withdrawal had happened and reported the facts? The Guardian article was reporting the possibility. Maybe, just maybe there is nothing to see here and no MSM conspiracy, just conservative journalism.

SB

Oh dear... on 10:19 - Nov 15 with 3911 viewsgiant_stow

Thanks.

I wouldn't think there's any mystery over why the beeb is perhaps a little late with the story for your taste. They're always a bit later with stories as they double-check everything more carefully than most. Next time there's a terror attack, I bet it'll be reported first on the Independent or Mirror, then the Guardian and finally the beeb.

Edit: Twitter first!
[Post edited 15 Nov 2017 10:22]

Has anyone ever looked at their own postings for last day or so? Oh my... so sorry. Was Ullaa
Poll: A clasmate tells your son their going to beat him up in the playground after sch

Oh dear... on 10:32 - Nov 15 with 3894 viewsgiant_stow

Thanks.

Incidentally, well played for steering the thread away from Putin - very skilled!

Has anyone ever looked at their own postings for last day or so? Oh my... so sorry. Was Ullaa
Poll: A clasmate tells your son their going to beat him up in the playground after sch

Oh dear... on 10:49 - Nov 15 with 3883 viewsWeWereZombies

Oh dear... on 09:39 - Nov 15 by caught-in-limbo

Ah, Mr Bouazizi, the man whose act of self-immolation kick started the "Arab Spring".

Who has benefited most from that?

#sceptical
[Post edited 15 Nov 2017 9:49]

Actually, thinking on about the photo that you posted - no medical staff in the picture, deliberate or happenstance? The Jasmine Revolution was as much about unemployment and desperately poor living standards as it was about ideological regime change, but the West's response (especially the French Foreign Minister) left them with everything to do. Blame Russia, Europe and fundamentalist Islam for the way things have turned out, not a young fruit seller driven mad by bureaucracy.

Poll: Luton or Dubai ?

Oh dear... on 12:18 - Nov 15 with 3866 viewscaught-in-limbo

Oh dear... on 10:17 - Nov 15 by StokieBlue

Isn't this the same event/agreement:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2017/oct/14/last-isis-fighters-in-raqqa-seek-d

The article states they had 400+ human shields and that they had been discussing the IS withdrawal for days.

I admit that was a 10 second Google so it might not be the exact article I am remembering from before.

As for the BBC making a false claim, perhaps they waited until after the withdrawal had happened and reported the facts? The Guardian article was reporting the possibility. Maybe, just maybe there is nothing to see here and no MSM conspiracy, just conservative journalism.

SB

Thanks. I'll take a look at that article when I have more time.

Who said there was a mainstream media conspiracy? I simply said the BBC was making a false claim in saying that they "uncovered the facts" of this "secret". When in actual fact they were a month behind the Guardian.

#toxic

Oh dear... on 12:20 - Nov 15 with 3862 viewscaught-in-limbo

Oh dear... on 10:49 - Nov 15 by WeWereZombies

Actually, thinking on about the photo that you posted - no medical staff in the picture, deliberate or happenstance? The Jasmine Revolution was as much about unemployment and desperately poor living standards as it was about ideological regime change, but the West's response (especially the French Foreign Minister) left them with everything to do. Blame Russia, Europe and fundamentalist Islam for the way things have turned out, not a young fruit seller driven mad by bureaucracy.

I wasn't blaming the fruit seller for anything. I blame fundamentalist Islam and those who arm, fund, train, spread and support it.

#toxic

Login to get fewer ads

Oh dear... on 12:25 - Nov 15 with 3851 viewscaught-in-limbo

Oh dear... on 10:19 - Nov 15 by giant_stow

I wouldn't think there's any mystery over why the beeb is perhaps a little late with the story for your taste. They're always a bit later with stories as they double-check everything more carefully than most. Next time there's a terror attack, I bet it'll be reported first on the Independent or Mirror, then the Guardian and finally the beeb.

Edit: Twitter first!
[Post edited 15 Nov 2017 10:22]

I never said anything about it being a mystery. I'm just questioning why they said they had "uncovered" this "secret" when in fact they're a month behind other mainstream media titles.

I know it's common practice to claim "exclusive" in many rags, I just thought that the BBC was more professional than that.

What do you think the BBC meant when they said that they had uncovered this secret? Did someone at the beeb uncover the Guardian where the story was written a month ago?

#toxic

Oh dear... on 12:47 - Nov 15 with 3831 viewsJ2BLUE

Thanks.

I'll withdraw the flattened comment. It was a result of misreading this from Bluesquid: 'There were other options available rather than flattening the place, best thing to have done would of been to cut the deal then stitch them up when they are about to leave or were on their way.'

Another link to go with the Guardian one:

16/10 - https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/final-assault-on-raqqa-after-sdf-deal-allows-

As for your question I have no idea why the BBC claimed that. Either they didn't know it had been reported which seems highly unlikely for an organisation like that or they think it had broadly been reported and they have, in their own words, 'uncovered details'. Open to different theories though if you have any.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Oh dear... on 13:32 - Nov 15 with 3816 viewsBluesquid

Oh dear... on 09:20 - Nov 15 by StokieBlue

"There were other options available rather than flattening the place, best thing to have done would of been to cut the deal then stitch them up when they are about to leave or were on their way. "

You think that's the way the west should go about things?

I agree, there are concerns with letting them go but it was clearly a judgement call on what type of causalities would have occurred fighting them to the death in the town. I haven't said I agree with it, I don't really know my position, not given it enough thought. I do however see why they thought it was a good possible option.

SB

"You think that's the way the west should go about things?"

When it concerns this lot, yes i do.

After the Manchester Arena, London Bridge and Westminster, Barcelona, Stockholm, Brussels, Paris x 2, Berlin attacks i think the West are under no obligation to keep to their part of the bargain and keep to an agreement, do you?
Oh dear... on 13:41 - Nov 15 with 3806 viewsgiant_stow

Oh dear... on 13:32 - Nov 15 by Bluesquid

After the Manchester Arena, London Bridge and Westminster, Barcelona, Stockholm, Brussels, Paris x 2, Berlin attacks i think the West are under no obligation to keep to their part of the bargain and keep to an agreement, do you?

I get what you're saying and it must have been very tempting to bomb the convoy, but they must have decided against, with one eye on the future and being seen to be trustworthy for possible bigger issues down the line.

Oh dear... on 13:45 - Nov 15 with 3805 viewsBluesquid

Oh dear... on 05:34 - Nov 15 by caught-in-limbo

There's a couple of paragraphs in the BBC article I linked which deal with exactly that point:

"Disillusioned, weary of the constant fighting and fearing for his life, Abu Basir decided to leave for the safety of Idlib. He now lives in the city.

He was part of an almost exclusively French group within IS, and before he left some of his fellow fighters were given a new mission.

There are some French brothers from our group who left for France to carry out attacks in what would be called a ‘day of reckoning.’”"

As for your point about Al Nusra fighters receiving treatment from Israeli medical staff in the Golan:

http://www.jpost.com/Middle-East/Report-Israel-treating-al-Qaida-fighters-wounde

But things like this simply don't fit with the endlessly repeated official line and causes too much cognitive dissonance so it's better forgotten or dismissed as fake news - depending on the source.

"He was part of an almost exclusively French group within IS, and before he left some of his fellow fighters were given a new mission.

There are some French brothers from our group who left for France to carry out attacks in what would be called a ‘day of reckoning.’”

That is extremely worrying and should concern everyone.

Im sure that on this board i have read perhaps even a few times comments in some of the various 10-15 pagers about the latest jihadi extremist terrorist attack something along the lines of...
"Well, i'd be willing to give up more of my freedom if it meant that these attacks could be stopped..." - or something like that.

LOL, Well it matters not one iota how many of your freedoms you give up when the West and its allies are cutting deals with ISIS and nursing back to health jihadi extremist killers with links to Al-Qaida!
[Post edited 15 Nov 2017 13:48]
Oh dear... on 14:41 - Nov 15 with 3776 viewscaught-in-limbo

Oh dear... on 13:45 - Nov 15 by Bluesquid

"He was part of an almost exclusively French group within IS, and before he left some of his fellow fighters were given a new mission.

There are some French brothers from our group who left for France to carry out attacks in what would be called a ‘day of reckoning.’”

That is extremely worrying and should concern everyone.

Im sure that on this board i have read perhaps even a few times comments in some of the various 10-15 pagers about the latest jihadi extremist terrorist attack something along the lines of...
"Well, i'd be willing to give up more of my freedom if it meant that these attacks could be stopped..." - or something like that.

LOL, Well it matters not one iota how many of your freedoms you give up when the West and its allies are cutting deals with ISIS and nursing back to health jihadi extremist killers with links to Al-Qaida!
[Post edited 15 Nov 2017 13:48]

It's also worth pointing out that the French after the Charlie Hebdo attack have given up a lot more freedoms than those living in Britain. The French are still living under a state of national emergency, with various press and individual freedoms limiteds well as anti-terror laws extended. Regardless of all that, there has been various terror attacks in Paris and elsewhere, all committed by individuals who are on secret service watch lists.

So, despite the increased limitations to normal people's freedoms, the acts of terror by known and watched "Islamists" hasn't stopped.
[Post edited 18 Nov 2017 10:40]

#toxic

Oh dear... on 14:46 - Nov 15 with 3772 viewscaught-in-limbo

Oh dear... on 23:59 - Nov 14 by StokieBlue

"The deal to let IS fighters escape from Raqqa — de facto capital of their self-declared caliphate — had been arranged by local officials. It came after four months of fighting that left the city obliterated and almost devoid of people. It would spare lives and bring fighting to an end. The lives of the Arab, Kurdish and other fighters opposing IS would be spared."

This wasn't really secret was it? I seem to remember it being reported previously. They made a deal to try and stop the house to house fighting in a town which would have cost a lot more lives. What would have been your preference? Level the place and ensure every IS fighter as well as anyone else in the town was killed?

I suspect if they had flattened the place in door to door fighting and it resulted in loads or deaths including civilians you'd have had a good long moan about that as well.

SB
[Post edited 15 Nov 2017 0:00]

"I suspect if they had flattened the place in door to door fighting and it resulted in loads or deaths including civilians you'd have had a good long moan about that as well. "

No, if I had my way, the West wouldn't be in Syria in the first place. Russia, Hizbullah and Iran have been invited by the Syrian government to help the Syrian Arab Army to defeat ISIS, and yes, I'm happy for Syria and her allies to destroy jihadists in Syria however they chose to.

#toxic

Oh dear... on 14:48 - Nov 15 with 3766 viewsStokieBlue

Oh dear... on 13:32 - Nov 15 by Bluesquid

You are drifting dangerously close to saying the life of a European/Westerner is more important than the lives of civilians in Raqqa.

I think that not keeping our part of an agreement makes us no better than them, surely something we don't want to achieve?

As I said, I am not sure on my thoughts on the agreement but pretty sure on my thoughts on your statement.

SB

Oh dear... on 17:08 - Nov 15 with 3733 viewsBluesquid

Oh dear... on 14:48 - Nov 15 by StokieBlue

You are drifting dangerously close to saying the life of a European/Westerner is more important than the lives of civilians in Raqqa.

I think that not keeping our part of an agreement makes us no better than them, surely something we don't want to achieve?

As I said, I am not sure on my thoughts on the agreement but pretty sure on my thoughts on your statement.

SB

And you are drifting away from what i said.

Never said i would jeopardise civilians in Raqqa.

Go back and look at what i said.

No flattening of the city or street to street fighting.

I said that they should of been duped into believing that they were going to be set free and then the agreement broken after they were about to start their journey or were on their way - at that point the civilians in Raqqa are not at risk.

I'd rather break an agreement with ISIS than risk them coming to Europe, wouldn't you?
Oh dear... on 17:14 - Nov 15 with 3720 viewsgiant_stow

Oh dear... on 17:08 - Nov 15 by Bluesquid

I said that they should of been duped into believing that they were going to be set free and then the agreement broken after they were about to start their journey or were on their way - at that point the civilians in Raqqa are not at risk.

I'd rather break an agreement with ISIS than risk them coming to Europe, wouldn't you?

According to that beeb article, there were a few hundred isis fighters in the convoy but a total of 4000 people when including Women and Children. Are isis women and children not worth worrying about? That's not meant to sound loaded, as a lot of them might have done terrible things themselves, but deciding to blow them up might not have sat well with many.

Oh dear... on 17:29 - Nov 15 with 3707 viewsStokieBlue

Oh dear... on 17:08 - Nov 15 by Bluesquid

Not really no.

If we do that how are we any better than them? Is it a race to the bottom now? There are rules, they might not obey them but it doesn't mean we should lower ourselves to their standards.

As ullaa points out, they also had human shields.

I'm also not entirely convinced it's as easy to come to Western Europe as you make out (I concede it was easy previously).

SB
[Post edited 15 Nov 2017 17:35]

Oh dear... on 19:14 - Nov 15 with 3688 viewsBluesquid

Oh dear... on 17:14 - Nov 15 by giant_stow

According to that beeb article, there were a few hundred isis fighters in the convoy but a total of 4000 people when including Women and Children. Are isis women and children not worth worrying about? That's not meant to sound loaded, as a lot of them might have done terrible things themselves, but deciding to blow them up might not have sat well with many.

Who said anything about blowing them up?

The convoy of coaches and other vehicles could of been intercepted and new negotiations where the fighters lives would be spared if they lay down their arms.

Now they are free to continue their atrocities against civilians in Syria (including Christians) and for those that made it to Turkey the possibility of attacks in Europe.

You did read that article didn't you?

"There are some French brothers from our group who left for France to carry out attacks in what would be called a ‘day of reckoning.’”

What short memories people have, shall i post some pics of the terror attacks in Europe?

Anyway, you will be pleased to know that they are all as free as a bird.
[Post edited 15 Nov 2017 19:33]
Oh dear... on 19:26 - Nov 15 with 3682 viewsBluesquid

Oh dear... on 17:29 - Nov 15 by StokieBlue

Not really no.

If we do that how are we any better than them? Is it a race to the bottom now? There are rules, they might not obey them but it doesn't mean we should lower ourselves to their standards.

As ullaa points out, they also had human shields.

I'm also not entirely convinced it's as easy to come to Western Europe as you make out (I concede it was easy previously).

SB
[Post edited 15 Nov 2017 17:35]

No race to the bottom, would not torture or execute them just break an agreement to ensure that these jihadi extremist head choppers would have their freedom taken away to ensure they no longer pose a threat to civilians (to the whole world) from their terrorist activities.

I think you need reminding of just what this lot got up to.
Go on to liveleak when you get a moment. It is not easy viewing.

As to the human shields, there is no way that they should of been allowed to continue on their journey to freedom with their captives.
Who on earth negotiated that?
So now they are free and also got to keep their hostages/captives and the US/UK looked the other way.
Oh dear... on 20:14 - Nov 15 with 3663 viewscaught-in-limbo

Oh dear... on 19:26 - Nov 15 by Bluesquid

No race to the bottom, would not torture or execute them just break an agreement to ensure that these jihadi extremist head choppers would have their freedom taken away to ensure they no longer pose a threat to civilians (to the whole world) from their terrorist activities.

I think you need reminding of just what this lot got up to.
Go on to liveleak when you get a moment. It is not easy viewing.

As to the human shields, there is no way that they should of been allowed to continue on their journey to freedom with their captives.
Who on earth negotiated that?
So now they are free and also got to keep their hostages/captives and the US/UK looked the other way.

I think some people have forgotten what these people are like, because they are only reminded of their atrocities when it is convenient to do so.

When we see them chopping off heads, we're so appalled we send our military out there (illegally) to fight.

We invent "moderate islamists" and arm them too. They get consumed by ISIL, Al Nusra or other takfiri groups, so we effectively arm the people we are supposed to be fighting.

But all the time these murderous groups grow in strength until the latter part of 2015. With Russia's support of the Syrian Arab Army, Iran and Hizbollah on the ground we see start to see the genuine demise of ISIS.

It then becomes clear that the reason why Western forces were unable to do what a much smaller contingent of Russian planes were doing was because we were not in Syria to fight ISIS but to topple Assad.

It became much more important then to paint a different picture of these barbarian jihadist groups. Our news agencies were imbedded with them, still under the pretence of being "moderate". Many of them were disaffected disaffected Muslim youths from Britain and other West European countries. The White Helmets were a group of non-Syrian fighters created by former British mercenary James Le Mesurier. These jihadists certainly weren't anything to do with the head-chopping, heart-eating animals of the past. They have even been cast as the lesser of three evils. Assad is the problem in Syria and Russia the greatest threat to world peace.

The news of the defeat of IS in Syria has been little more than a whimper. It is in fact truly miraculous that a Syrian army, comprised mainly of Sunnis, fighting for their country lead by an Alawite (Shia) and fighting with Shia forces from Iran and Hizbollah with Russian air support have beaten these Wahabbi (Sunni) forces represented by a multinational contingent from scores of countries including our own.

And that's not Russian propaganda, all of that is from what I've seen and read in the Western media.

#toxic

Oh dear... on 20:31 - Nov 15 with 3651 viewsgiant_stow

Oh dear... on 19:14 - Nov 15 by Bluesquid

Who said anything about blowing them up?

The convoy of coaches and other vehicles could of been intercepted and new negotiations where the fighters lives would be spared if they lay down their arms.

Now they are free to continue their atrocities against civilians in Syria (including Christians) and for those that made it to Turkey the possibility of attacks in Europe.

You did read that article didn't you?

"There are some French brothers from our group who left for France to carry out attacks in what would be called a ‘day of reckoning.’”

What short memories people have, shall i post some pics of the terror attacks in Europe?

Anyway, you will be pleased to know that they are all as free as a bird.
[Post edited 15 Nov 2017 19:33]

I thought blowing them up was what you were implying - apologies if I got that wrong. However, I would have thought stopping isis for a little chat might not be that easy, especially when they would see that as breaking the deal. I suspect you didn't read the article as it happens, otherwise you wouldn't be banging on about them being let go willy nilly.

No need for emotive silliness at the end.

Oh dear... on 00:13 - Nov 18 with 3544 viewsStokieBlue

Oh dear... on 20:14 - Nov 15 by caught-in-limbo

I think some people have forgotten what these people are like, because they are only reminded of their atrocities when it is convenient to do so.

When we see them chopping off heads, we're so appalled we send our military out there (illegally) to fight.

We invent "moderate islamists" and arm them too. They get consumed by ISIL, Al Nusra or other takfiri groups, so we effectively arm the people we are supposed to be fighting.

But all the time these murderous groups grow in strength until the latter part of 2015. With Russia's support of the Syrian Arab Army, Iran and Hizbollah on the ground we see start to see the genuine demise of ISIS.

It then becomes clear that the reason why Western forces were unable to do what a much smaller contingent of Russian planes were doing was because we were not in Syria to fight ISIS but to topple Assad.

It became much more important then to paint a different picture of these barbarian jihadist groups. Our news agencies were imbedded with them, still under the pretence of being "moderate". Many of them were disaffected disaffected Muslim youths from Britain and other West European countries. The White Helmets were a group of non-Syrian fighters created by former British mercenary James Le Mesurier. These jihadists certainly weren't anything to do with the head-chopping, heart-eating animals of the past. They have even been cast as the lesser of three evils. Assad is the problem in Syria and Russia the greatest threat to world peace.

The news of the defeat of IS in Syria has been little more than a whimper. It is in fact truly miraculous that a Syrian army, comprised mainly of Sunnis, fighting for their country lead by an Alawite (Shia) and fighting with Shia forces from Iran and Hizbollah with Russian air support have beaten these Wahabbi (Sunni) forces represented by a multinational contingent from scores of countries including our own.

And that's not Russian propaganda, all of that is from what I've seen and read in the Western media.

If Russia and her allies are doing such a great job and defending what you seem to think is a good regime then why have then vetoed yet another investigation into Syria using chemical weapons?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-42034567

So that's 2 vetoes on the subject this week and 11 overall from Russia in support of Syria.

If it's all rosy like you seem to imply in your posts then why use the veto? Why would they not want the incident investigated further? They voted for the creation of the JIM in 2015 so they must have thought it was a good idea to have an independent body to investigate so why don't they want them to look into things now?

SB

Oh dear... on 09:44 - Nov 18 with 3505 viewscaught-in-limbo

Oh dear... on 00:13 - Nov 18 by StokieBlue

If Russia and her allies are doing such a great job and defending what you seem to think is a good regime then why have then vetoed yet another investigation into Syria using chemical weapons?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-42034567

So that's 2 vetoes on the subject this week and 11 overall from Russia in support of Syria.

If it's all rosy like you seem to imply in your posts then why use the veto? Why would they not want the incident investigated further? They voted for the creation of the JIM in 2015 so they must have thought it was a good idea to have an independent body to investigate so why don't they want them to look into things now?

SB

Again, you're misrepresenting me. I don't believe the Assad regime was a good regime.

I'm sure you know why the Russians have vetoed further investigation. They wanted investigators to have access to the site, but it wasn't possible because of the terrorists there. The Investigators were however happy to take samples from these same terrorists for analysis outside Syria.

#toxic

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024